• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

MrNelson

Banned
Yeah the melee feels weird in this game... It was excessively generous in the first one (with easy executions and flying kicks killing a target some distance away), but it doesn't feel reliable at all in TF2. I think I only made a single execution in the game, and that was while going slooooowly in campaign against a grunt, to get the achievement.
I've managed a few executions in MP, but I've done plenty of melees from behind that weren't performed as executions.

dLMN8R

I have some very basic questions about Legion.

When I was using him in the campaign, it was pretty much impossible for me to tell whether I was in the long-range or short-range mode at a glance. What specific indications should I look for?

When I went to do my alternate shot I could of course immediately tell which mode I was in if it was a power shot, but before that the icon at the bottom and other indications are completely vague and unhelpful.

Separately, I honestly can't tell what's different about the primary weapon firing in long-range vs. short-range. Does one of them use ammo twice as quickly or something? Does that mean it's twice as powerful?

And other than the alternate fire mode, what else changes between long- and short-range?

dLMN8R

I'm looking at that icon. But like I said, the icon isn't clear. The icon is either on or off, but nothing declares whether short-range is considered "on" or long-range is considered "on".

When I was using him in the campaign, it was pretty much impossible for me to tell whether I was in the long-range or short-range mode at a glance. What specific indications should I look for?

When I went to do my alternate shot I could of course immediately tell which mode I was in if it was a power shot, but before that the icon at the bottom and other indications are completely vague and unhelpful.

Separately, I honestly can't tell what's different about the primary weapon firing in long-range vs. short-range. Does one of them use ammo twice as quickly or something? Does that mean it's twice as powerful?

And other than the alternate fire mode, what else changes between long- and short-range?

Arrow direction on the on-screen icon for the range switch ability determines the current mode - Down= short range, Up= long range.

Short range has less zoom, more spread, and consumes one bullet per shot. Long range has more zoom, less spread, and consumes two bullets per shot. The properties of power shot also change based on the mode (short range=shotgun-like pushback, long range=very powerful single shot).

Gator86

vbcTxEu.gif

I despise the new melee. I don't know what they did to it between the first game and this one, but I am constantly chartering new territory as to what constitutes a whiffed melee in this game.

Accurate gif. Also, titan melee is still broken on consoles. It takes 4 or 5 tries to melee execute a Titan once doomed. I've given up trying for the most part. It's a completely broken mechanic.

Menthuss

vbcTxEu.gif

I despise the new melee. I don't know what they did to it between the first game and this one, but I am constantly chartering new territory as to what constitutes a whiffed melee in this game.

Wow...
If that was me and that grunt actually killed me, I would've ragequit right there.

The crosshairs change. Long range looks more traditional "+" whereas the short range looks like a clover(?).

As for the differences in modes, the long range is more accurate with tighter groupings since youre zooming in. Wider spread/cone/whatever in close range

Shengar

Just finished the campaign. It's good, and have the recipe for greatness. Sadly it missed the opportunity to make story really outstanding. Honestly 2 hours extra will do the job just fine. Oh, and make Jack Cooper less of a generic, bland-for-self-insert main character.

Accurate gif. Also, titan melee is still broken on consoles. It takes 4 or 5 tries to melee execute a Titan once doomed. I've given up trying for the most part. It's a completely broken mechanic.

I can always execute in the doomed state on the first hit? Thought you had to hold melee down to initiate the execution on a titan.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Yeah the lanes can get annoying on some maps, but there are always viable flanking routes.

It isn't that you can't flank, it is that it takes way too long on most maps. Time is too valuable in most of the relatively short gamemodes to spend any of it entirely out of the action and off objective.

I've concluded that Amped Hardpoint is actually pretty broken and boring, you spend most of the game camping at Hardpoints to amp them up, if you don't then you'll lose the game to the other team doing the same thing. It's counter intuitive to the fast paced design of the game, what gives Respawn?

Actually I find it works great. If you want faster pace you're playing the wrong game mode. Don't forget how they entirely fucked up Hardpoint in the first game by trying to make it faster paced.

If you don't want to spend time amping a point then spend your time preventing the enemy team from amping any point they've capped. The net result upon success is exactly the same except it sounds like you'd have more fun doing the assaulting than the amping, so why not do the assaulting while 1-2 other members of the team worry about amping?

It doesn't take an entire team to amp a point, nor does it take an entire team to assault/defend a point. If your team isn't coming up with a good division of labor then that is a communications issue, right? I can tell pretty quickly which roles aren't being handled and change my playstyle to cover, at least when I care about winning.

oh my fucking god, Mountain Dew and EA fucked up the titanfall promo so bad

I keep trying to link my origin account but EA goes 'WHOOPS SOMETHING WENT WRONG TRY AGAIN LATER LOL'

fuck I want my warpaint

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Haha coliseum is hilariously good fun!!! you guys just get salty. i'm undefeated in about 10 matches i think. maybe it's 9 i dunno.

I dart straight at them with a nade, they always fucking panic lol. But i got that deadly frag nade from Titanfall1 down pat. it's pretty much the same nade with a much shorter throwing distance.

Not Titanfal-y enough :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is a dumb question, but does Northstar's piercing round only go through other titans? You can't use it to pierce objects/walls?

This is a dumb question, but does Northstar's piercing round only go through other titans? You can't use it to pierce objects/walls?

Someone here said they swore it pierced a wall and got a hit register the other day, but I haven't seen that confirmed. Pretty sure it's only piercing through other enemies and not walls.

Her map hack plus piercing shots thru walls would be horrible haha.

When it says "Playable at 42%" does that mean that I can at least do single player or do they mean I'll just be able to load the main menu but not do much else because it's still downloading?

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
IMO Respawn needs to get rid of the player count from being visible on screen. It's just casting a shadow over how much fun the games actually are... especially with the notion of "how quick TF1 died out" still in people's minds.

This isn't going to have gawdy CoD or BF numbers, but as long as it's enough to keep the games rolling and the community growing, that's all that matters. I hope EA gives it a massive marketing push for the holidays.

Ah, but then you'll have people say that Respawn took it out since "it's dead" or something, no? :) But yeah, I agree. There's no need for it.

And unless I'm mistaken, the player counts are going up! I saw 21K+ on PS4 earlier, which is surprising since during that time, it's usually at 15K or something. Could be a coincidence as well.

Schlorgan

Ah, but then you'll have people say that Respawn took it out since "it's dead" or something, no? :) But yeah, I agree. There's no need for it.

And unless I'm mistaken, the player counts are going up! I saw 21K+ on PS4 earlier, which is surprising since during that time, it's usually at 15K or something. Could be a coincidence as well.

I saw 20K on Xbox One last night.

Just had a game where I led our team to a steamrolling victory for Amped Hardpoint. 1200 Assault, 1575 Defense and 10 pilot kills :). Also, I've literally just been using the R201, Charge Rifle and Ion the entire time.

Bungie tends to make multiple changes without first seeing how a specific change resolves the issue at hand. It leads to an overall frustrating system of highs and lows in regards to balance where they're constantly creating new problems all the time where I feel no option but to gravitate towards the OP weapons and I personally like to mix it up.

I agree I don't like how Bungie balanced the game but saying it's all nerfs is not true.

I never implied that.

I disagree. I feel that...

"Bungie would balance a utility ability for one titan by nerfing for every titan's utility ability. That is bad balancing and not what anyone is suggesting."

Does imply that you think Bungie's only approach to balancing something is via nerfing everything else. Generally Bungie have always nerf and buffed a wide range of items with each update and patch.

I don't think the game is well balanced and I don't like how they handled balancing, but I don't agree with you on this. In many cases, a nerf is the right thing to do. If you just buff weak weapons then you are always buffing, something, everything ends up with a faster TTK, and you end up with a different game.

Most large scale. competitive multiplayer games are likely to have a myriad of balance issues that need addressing, both with buffs and needs, to get back onto what the developers intended to achieve.

Alx

Just finished the campaign. It's good, and have the recipe for greatness.

I just finished it too (credits rolling right now on my TV). It was fun, but quite light on content. Which is actually fine by me since for once I was mostly interested in multiplayer.
The campaign does a good job as a (huge) tutorial, but it's almost frustrating how it introduces so many clever abilities to take them away once the mission ends.
I especially think
phase shift and platform activation
could make a full action-platformer game where you would have those abilities in many different levels, using them to solve puzzles on the fly. As it was it left me wanting for more (which is good, I suppose).

Jito

Banned
I'm getting a reoccurring issue where I go to rodeo a Titan at speed, usually after using stims and just bounce of it or smack straight into it. Bare in mind no pilot is riding on the Titan, it should trigger the bordering animation but instead I just smack into it.

vbcTxEu.gif

Looks like maybe there's some sort of problem with the melee hitbox and different elevations?

I haven't had many problems with the melee system myself (as I've mentioned to you in-game), but if it is a hitbox weirdness thing then that bolsters my argument that the controller auto-aim is helping smooth things out. If nothing else the melee in T1 had a cruddy, unreliable element to it too, so it's not like they exactly broke something which was working great.

Executions are definitely touchier than they should be, I can't disagree there. Usually it's better to do quick melee kill instead of the execution, so maybe they favor the former, but I want to finish my damn execution challenges!

I just finished it too (credits rolling right now on my TV). It was fun, but quite light on content. Which is actually fine by me since for once I was mostly interested in multiplayer.
The campaign does a good job as a (huge) tutorial, but it's almost frustrating how it introduces so many clever abilities to take them away once the mission ends.
I especially think
phase shift and platform activation
could make a full action-platformer game where you would have those abilities in many different levels, using them to solve puzzles on the fly. As it was it left me wanting for more (which is good, I suppose).
Yeah, there's an undercooked, 3D Zelda feel to a lot of the new mechanics. You get a new thing, you get to play around with it in its 'dungeon', and then generally never touch it again. The novelty is neat, but I kept expecting them to build more on top of the new systems and they never really did.

The crane walls are a good example. I expected to have to use them to find secrets and hinder enemies, but they essentially are just a gimmick used to slow down the level pace. I think it culminates into a single simple puzzle? What a waste.

Novelty is hardly the worst thing you can have in a game, but while I enjoyed the campaign it also often felt like a big missed opportunity.

Izuna

Banned
there are basically no active frames for the melee and it was a common complaint from R1 sadly

if the start doesn't connect, it doesn't matter how you move, it won't hit

Screenshot-Original.png

Ronin's ability to slaughter AI is dope. The sword is amazing at it.

Should be able to do story.

I got digital but my friend was only able to do the first mission up to the time trial until it finished iirc.

I've been doing the time trial while it downloads and my best is about 42 seconds so far.

Are there any tips for getting more speed besides bouncing off walls? The speed indicator seems to be at its highest when I'm doing that so I'm wondering if there are more tips for getting even higher speeds.

Rayme

vbcTxEu.gif

Tuesday's PC patch messed this up. Next server update ("soon") will correct it.
XB1/PS4 are okay.

Top Bottom