• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Anyone come across a good guide(preferably youtube) with tips on improving gameplay, especially Titan combat? Feel like I am just running around crazy atm occasionally spotting someone.

Any word from Respawn about a 1st round balancing patch or anything about the network performance (lag comp. etc. whatever it is?)

As is, TF2 is a fun and fast paced, casual MP shooter. I'm not sure how much longer i can invest into it without some fixes. It will be fun to hop into here and there but as soon as I hit gen 2 (4 levels i believe) i'll be spending the majority of my time in MW:R and IW.

IW gives me my advance movement fix (while nowhere near as fast as TF the maps are MUCH smaller) and MW:R gives me my difficult, tactical and cooperative shooter fix.

Man, going from hunting neon fucking christmas tree Pilots in TF2 to trying to identify player sin MW:R is an awakening. You actually have to REALLY hunt for enemy players as there was no hand-holding back then and you could blend in as an enemy. Man this shit is gooooood!

I find it difficult to see ambiguous visual discrimination of enemies as a positive, especially if it were applied to fast paced multiplayer environments like TF2. The reason it's been made easy to visually discriminate enemies from the environment is so that it can retain its pacing and have dexterity and reflexes as the determining factor of gunplay encounters. This game would not benefit from having ambiguity introduced in this regard, it's already annoying enough to be killed by someone camping, and it would not be made any better if they were made more difficult to see.

I also don't see how this is any more casual, than MW:R or IW, quite the opposite in fact. If anything the overlayed killstreak / scorestreak systems featuring in those games are a means of removing agency from players. TF2s Titan's instead add depth, crafting meaningful gameplay interactions between pilot and titan, where pilots always have the opportunity to fight back. This is a far cry from the gameplay interactions that feature in either of the mentioned Call of Duty games, where scorestreaks remove player agency with unavoidable deaths, and offer little gameplay interaction between troop and scorestreak.

Things are a little different for Infinite Warfare, the ambiguous visual discrimination makes sense within the games context and slower pacing and the killstreaks are at least standardised allowing for player accommodating and adaptation, yet still, those two games come across as 'casual' in comparison to TF2, featuring too many mechanisms that confound competitive validity.

maxmars

Anyone come across a good guide(preferably youtube) with tips on improving gameplay, especially Titan combat? Feel like I am just running around crazy atm occasionally spotting someone.

I could use that too. My first TF game and very little time to play. I have learned to use the minimap and it helps but I'm sure there's more.

KingV

Played Titanfall 1 for a year, on Xbox360 and then Xbox1

It was one of my favorite games ever

However, I wasn't impressed with the beta, it felt more like CoD than Titanfall at times

The reviews are convincing me to pick it up although (probably PS4)

Should I?

Yes, it's good. Much better than the beta.

I find it difficult to see ambiguous visual discrimination of enemies as a positive, especially if it were applied to fast paced multiplayer environments like TF2. The reason it's been made easy to visually discriminate enemies from the environment is so that it can retain its pacing and have dexterity and reflexes as the determining factor of gunplay encounters. This game would not benefit from having ambiguity introduced in this regard, it's already annoying enough to be killed by someone camping, and it would not be made any better if they were made more difficult to see.

I also don't see how this is any more casual, than MW:R or IW, quite the opposite in fact. If anything the overlayed killstreak / scorestreak systems featuring in those games are a means of removing agency from players. TF2s Titan's instead add depth, crafting meaningful gameplay interactions between pilot and titan, where pilots always have the opportunity to fight back. This is a far cry from the gameplay interactions that feature in either of the mentioned Call of Duty games, where scorestreaks remove player agency with unavoidable deaths, and offer little gameplay interaction between troop and scorestreak.

Things are a little different for Infinite Warfare, the ambiguous visual discrimination makes sense within the games context and slower pacing and the killstreaks are at least standardised allowing for player accommodating and adaptation, yet still, those two games come across as 'casual' in comparison to TF2, featuring too many mechanisms that confound competitive validity.

IW might be more casual but MW:R is not. Not at all compared to TF2.

It's all about remaining aware of your surroundings, paying attention, calling out possible enemy sightings and overall being MUCH more involved in every process in MW:R than TF2. TF2 holds hands constantly with wall hacks, and sonar pings and piggy backing off all of your teammates boosts. None of this exists in MW:R. You have to rely on your gun and equipment kills. No auto turrets, no auto pistols, no neon enemy highlighting, no health bars, no help but that of your team. And yes, MW:R does have killstreaks but i'd argue TF2 does as well and they're much more influential.

MW:R has UAV / Air Strike / Chopper (3/5/7 kills). TF2 arguably has MANY more killstreaks with 12 boosts (same operation as kill streaks) and Titans (just another type of killstreak). Yes, Titans add another level to the game but combined together... all of the other class abilities, boosts and other non primary weapon "stuff" just unsettles the silt and muddys what could otherwise be a game of clarity and focus like MW:R.

That said TF2 is a GREAT game and one that i love and will continue playing with some improvements. To me personally it's far less competitive, focused and refined than MW:R. That doesnt make it bad. I can have some fun warm up casual rounds in Bounty Hunt or Attrition and be just fine like the average person but I do much prefer some nail biting, unforgiving full team S&D, CTF or DOM in MW:R.

I'll be playing both if you ever care to join us... you're still on my FL from either Overwatch or Destiny.

Yeah but then the balance would go to shit. I originally thought I wouldn't be happy with preset loadouts but they're pretty good as is. Maybe more kits later on?

I love this game, just love it, just been playing multiplayer for a few hours a night since launch last week.

The one thing I hate hate hate hate and is considerably worse is the evacuation ship!

1 - The ship is stationary for too long
2 - If there are at least 3 - 4 enemy titans your ship is doomed, I don't recall blowing up this many ships before in TF1

It's too easy to take down now I usually don't even bother to board it if I see that it's surrounded.

There's no more shields on the ship right? Don't even need nuclear ejection to take it down anymore.

Also just tried the Volt for a few times last night, it's definitely the best sounding gun in the game, feels great too.
That is why for me the majority of the time I wait until the evacuation ship is about to leave before I get on. Entering the drop ship too early when there are tons of enemy titans around guarantee's your death. I think it is the right amount of time that the dropship stays, any more or less would ruin the balance of it. Also about the Volt it has become my favorite weapon in the game. I like it even more than the good old reliable R-201.

Hey guys, I am looking for some players (PS4) that are interested in competing in gamebattles matches/ any upcoming tournaments that may spawn up (online).

Please let me know if you are interested!

Hey guys, I am looking for some players (PS4) that are interested in competing in gamebattles matches/ any upcoming tournaments that may spawn up (online).

Where are you located if you dont mind me asking? I try to keep my competitive circle as close as possible for obvious network issues. North East USA here and would be down time allowing!

RMI

Banned
tried a few rounds with Tone last night and you all were right Tone is crazy. Nothing but good abilities. Insane damage output. Good defensive abilities. Not too slow.

Also decided to give Scorch a shot and have a new admiration for people who do well with Scorch cause I just felt like a complete idiot trying to pilot that thing.

Current favorite weapon is the EVA-8. it's hard to miss at close range with this thing and is usually a one shot kill. At short-mid range it is 2-3 shots but still pretty effective. Long range is completely useless but it's a shotgun so I try and just not go running across the open if I can help it.

Jito

Banned
Ok pretty confused now, how come I can't make multiple loadouts of the same Titan? Seems a bit shortsighted.

I am having a serious problem on Xbox One.

At the main menu, it just says "Data Center: Searching..." and never connects to one. If I show the list of Data Centers, they all have a ping of -1.

I can't play single player either, as every 30 seconds it tries to connect to a server (I assume that's what's happening) and hangs for a solid 10 seconds. Unplayable.

Both single- and multiplayer worked fine earlier this week. I can find fixes for the Data Center thing on PC, but not Xbox. Anyone have any ideas?

This sucks - I cannot play!

Schlorgan

Played Titanfall 1 for a year, on Xbox360 and then Xbox1

It was one of my favorite games ever

However, I wasn't impressed with the beta, it felt more like CoD than Titanfall at times

The reviews are convincing me to pick it up although (probably PS4)

Should I?

They made some pretty big changes and they take some getting used to, but after playing for awhile, I understand the reasonings behind them and they're much more than just "Let's make it more like CoD" (even if that's how they look on paper). The movement is phenomenal and the way they've differentiated the Titans is really smart and meaningful. I would recommend it.

This game is just sublime but we need more melee centric titans

Definitely one with a large Hammer/Mace

Please Respawn

Reinhardt?

Alpha_eX

I'd like a mode similar to bounty, but instead of bounty on Titans, it was Kaiju. Scale up the size of a titan and reskin it.

Hmm, might not be horrible? PSN ID is same as GAF ID. Hit me up if you see me online. I'll be bouncing around between a few shooters ATM.

It won't be horrible. Used to clan with people across the country on countless games as were fine. Will add you on ps4 tonight :)

Looking for other competitive players on ps4! PSN: Broadbandit or hit me up here!

Why does the alternators hip fire seem more precise than ads

It won't be horrible. Used to clan with people across the country on countless games as were fine. Will add you on ps4 tonight :)

Looking for other competitive players on ps4! PSN: Broadbandit or hit me up here!

I hope not and in most games you're right... but man, with TF2 there is some evil-net-shenanigans going on lol! Playing with buds from across the country proves difficult at times and the lag is even more noticeable then. If Respawn straightens out the network stuff so we're not consistently getting killed around corners and balances a few of the titans and gets rid of the wall hax this shit will stick around and be on of my prime shooters of the next year+. If not... eh...

But awesome.. i'll see you online! Picking up IW/MW:R by chance? I know me and a lot of my friends will be over there some as well.

Thanati

I'm really enjoying the single player campaign but, have to say, the AI and enemy setups are not quite the best I've seen.

But yes, BT is amazing :)

Requiem

They made some pretty big changes and they take some getting used to, but after playing for awhile, I understand the reasonings behind them and they're much more than just "Let's make it more like CoD" (even if that's how they look on paper). The movement is phenomenal and the way they've differentiated the Titans is really smart and meaningful. I would recommend it.

Reinhardt?

Ha!! thinking about it he would actually make a great Titan...all his abilities mesh well with the TF world

Make it happen Respawn!

Navy Bean

Campaign was awesome...I'm gonna dive into the MP this weekend. Feel free to add me on PSN - Ferrolla33 - if anyone wants to join up. Usually on at night.

IW might be more casual but MW:R is not. Not at all compared to TF2.

It's all about remaining aware of your surroundings, paying attention, calling out possible enemy sightings and overall being MUCH more involved in every process in MW:R than TF2. TF2 holds hands constantly with wall hacks, and sonar pings and piggy backing off all of your teammates boosts. None of this exists in MW:R. You have to rely on your gun and equipment kills. No auto turrets, no auto pistols, no neon enemy highlighting, no health bars, no help but that of your team. And yes, MW:R does have killstreaks but i'd argue TF2 does as well and they're much more influential.

MW:R has UAV / Air Strike / Chopper (3/5/7 kills). TF2 arguably has MANY more killstreaks with 12 boosts (same operation as kill streaks) and Titans (just another type of killstreak). Yes, Titans add another level to the game but combined together... all of the other class abilities, boosts and other non primary weapon "stuff" just unsettles the silt and muddys what could otherwise be a game of clarity and focus like MW:R.

That said TF2 is a GREAT game and one that i love and will continue playing with some improvements. To me personally it's far less competitive, focused and refined than MW:R. That doesnt make it bad. I can have some fun warm up casual rounds in Bounty Hunt or Attrition and be just fine like the average person but I do much prefer some nail biting, unforgiving full team S&D, CTF or DOM in MW:R.

I'll be playing both if you ever care to join us... you're still on my FL from either Overwatch or Destiny.

I don't strickly disagree with you, I think MW:R does some things right that this game doesn't, but it isn't perfect either, and it has many of the issues that this game does, and each, some of their own.

Notably, one of the biggest issues in MW:R is the fact that it has loadout perks that reduce the games time to kill. Stopping power reduces the time to kill on just about any weapon and therefore unevens 1 vs 1 gunfights. Unbalanced 1 vs 1 gunfights based on loadout selection is not good for competitive validity. TF2 does not have passive loadout items that drastically reduce the time to kill, you could argue the default encounters are more balanced and therefore, more competitively valid.

The argument that boosts are the same as killstreaks does not quite sit well with me, none of the games boosts are as effective as killstreaks other than those at the very low end. A turret in Titanfall is no where near as effective as a turret can be in the Call of Duty titles, and none of them come close to the efficacy of airstrikes and helicopters.

I like the fact that MW:Rs killstreaks are the default, preset, and therefore players can adapt when they hear that they are available, they can stay indoors when they hear a helicopter is about, and duck for cover when they hear about airstrikes, but that isn't always possible, and on maps like countdown things like the helicopters can be absolutely devastating, to the point where they feel unavoidable.

MW:R also has a lot of potential causes for random deaths too within its regular gametypes, 3x frag is a notable culprit which when facilitated by some really horrible map design (Wetwork or Shipment) can create a myriad of situations where a player can kill another player by sheer chance.

TF2 isn't without it's own similar set of flaws, things like damage amp work in a similar way to Call of Duty's stopping power, reducing the competitive validity of certain 1 vs 1 encounters, albeit to a lesser extent and I absolutely agree that map hack is a problem. It again, works in a similar way to damage amp, reducing the validity of the 1 vs 1 encounter.

I get the impression that you're coming from the perspective of a S&D player where these problems are typically, much less of an issue, but for game types like Dom and even CTF, there's are many questionable components of the games design. I'm not saying it's bad, Call of Duty 4 is actually my most played shooter of all time, but it isn't quite the perfect experience that some paint it to be.

One of the biggest differences here though is TF2 has the opportunity to resolve it's issues, map hack may be nerfed or removed in the future, and many of the weapon and titan balance issues may be resolved. The same can't be said for MW:R which wears its limitations with pride for the sake of nostalgia. With that said, we both know that competitive and public matchmaking are oxymoronic in nature anyway, so both of these games have ample potential for heightened competitive validity within private games with custom rulesets.

And yeah It'd be good to play sometime, I play with a lot of people on GAF but most of them don't use mics, and communication is great in whichever game, even if TF has things like map hack it's still good to call out positions and other details.

I hope not and in most games you're right... but man, with TF2 there is some evil-net-shenanigans going on lol! Playing with buds from across the country proves difficult at times and the lag is even more noticeable then. If Respawn straightens out the network stuff so we're not consistently getting killed around corners and balances a few of the titans and gets rid of the wall hax this shit will stick around and be on of my prime shooters of the next year+. If not... eh...

But awesome.. i'll see you online! Picking up IW/MW:R by chance? I know me and a lot of my friends will be over there some as well.

It's really weird cause last night was the first night I have experienced any lag and really haven't felt like I died in a bullshit manner around a corner. (and this is playing with people in NY and Washington).

I am getting IW/MWR, I will not be touching IW mp at all, MWR I will.

Codiox

hey im interested but am from EUR / Germany...:(

but would love to get more players to team up with (and voicechat).

My PSN is: C0D10X

And yeah It'd be good to play sometime, I play with a lot of people on GAF but most of them don't use mics, and communication is great in whichever game, even if TF has things like map hack it's still good to call out positions and other details.

Ouch... gotta have that mic! lol Yeah callouts are so very important.

Let's get Bandito in here too...

It's really weird cause last night was the first night I have experienced any lag and really haven't felt like I died in a bullshit manner around a corner. (and this is playing with people in NY and Washington).

I am getting IW/MWR, I will not be touching IW mp at all, MWR I will.

I've heard so many say they havent seen the lag and then so many say they have. It's really weird.

I've played a decent amount with Ultima and Alfredo (other Gaf members) and they've both experienced the lag with me. But it could also just be some people are more sensitive to that stuff. Who knows lol

You, Chrono, Ultima and Alfredo and i should group up for some competitive Hardpoint and CTF in TF2!

Annnnnd also some MW:R ;P

KodaRuss

I find the best way to contribute to my team is to steal enemy batteries and give them to teammates.

Yea that is a really good way to be team MVP in my eyes. I am always chasing down friendly Titans with a battery because I dont want the Bright Green "Kill Me" sign on my back.

Yeah the netcode in this is bad. I played with some American's last night and it was messy, I was losing gunfights I would be winning, shooting at people first and having them kill me, registering no damage on them. Just generally not a good experience.

You learn to adapt though. If you're lagging then you have a huge peekers advantage, so you can use that really effectively in competitive matches. In GBs if you're US have a UK player he can kill people before they even see them. Inversely, he can also be killed by his opponents before he sees them, quite a double edged sword!

Becomes a bit dodgy if your opponents notice what you're taking advantage of though.

Jito

Banned
Getting tired of playing with teammates who have no clue how to play the game. When's ranked matchmaking coming in?

KodaRuss

Getting tired of playing with teammates who have no clue how to play the game. When's ranked matchmaking coming in?

Agreed, I might have some time soon after all these road trips to group up but a Ranked Match making would be great for TF2.

Jito

Banned
CwbfsORWEAI_O1j.jpg:large
Not bragging here or anything but what game are my team playing? Once people start getting Titans in Hardpoint they forget what mode they're playing and just roam around the map in their Titans.

I'm also at a loss over Titan loadouts now, I'd like to make multiple Ion loadouts so I can have my Titan on defense with the AI chip on certain maps but can't because it's just one loadout for each Titan.

Izuna

Banned
What makes this campaign so amazing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it and am grateful that Respawn crafted a campaign this time around. It was the thing I most wanted last time.

I like the movement, the gunplay is fun and it's fluid. However, a lot of the trappings feel kind of generic, like the enemies and some of the stages.

Note that I'm just about at the half-way point so I haven't finished it. I'm playing on hard, and have had some cheap deaths, but outside of the female boss it hasn't been too bad. She's pretty cheap.

I hope to finish it tomorrow, and think it's of quality. But, with all of the buzz here, I was expecting my socks to be blown off and for me to want to keep it just to replay the campaign -- something I don't get doing much.

It's always the level just before the beat drops that posts like this come out ;)

Yeah the netcode in this is bad. I played with some American's last night and it was messy, I was losing gunfights I would be winning, shooting at people first and having them kill me, registering no damage on them. Just generally not a good experience.

You learn to adapt though. If you're lagging then you have a huge peekers advantage, so you can use that really effectively in competitive matches. In GBs if you're US have a UK player he can kill people before they even see them. Inversely, he can also be killed by his opponents before he sees them, quite a double edged sword!

Becomes a bit dodgy if your opponents notice what you're taking advantage of though.

Lol i thought i was only me who tries to work that! If found that if i know enemies are around the corner i can spam double arc grenades and use stim and blaze around the corner before shit registers for them and i'm spraying my smg (Volt usually) in their faces before they can even acknowledge me. But as you said... that shit then happens to me all the time too :/

If they can fix it... boy will it be even more fun!

I go afk during the epilogue lol

literally couldn't care less about it

At the very least I wish they'd speed the process up. I don't care even a little bit about exp or merits so that whole incentive is irrelevant. You get more than enough by just playing.
Maybe I haven't played enough tif2 pvp, but I thought it was a cool new way to end matches. I'm garbage at pvp so there's that.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Finally getting used to the movement system after coming from BO3. Biggest problem so far is that levelling up seems so slow.

Are there any good youtubers to follow for gun guides, titan guides, etc?

Finally getting used to the movement system after coming from BO3. Biggest problem so far is that levelling up seems so slow.

Are there any good youtubers to follow for gun guides, titan guides, etc?

FrothOmen and Gamesager, the latter is more focused on controller players.

Managed to score over 220 points on attrition. Some of these players are pretty bad. I feel that a lot of people just run around looking for pilot kills. I get a lot of pilot kills but I also spend a lot of time using my Titan to kill troops and whatnot.

Managed to score over 220 points on attrition. Some of these players are pretty bad. I feel that a lot of people just run around looking for pilot kills. I get a lot of pilot kills but I also spend a lot of time using my Titan to kill troops and whatnot.

Yeah I remember the same sort of thing in Attrition in the first game. People just don't seem too interesting in killing the AI, but they are such easy points, especially in a Titan.

Top Bottom