• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I played a few matches last night, my first real dip into MP since launch and it felt really good compared to the tech test. I even found myself having a lot of fun on Homestead believe it or not. Attrition definitely feels like it should, crazy and chaotic all over the place. I used Northstar with some success here even though I'm still green behind the ears in MP (I'm only lvl 6).

KodaRuss

What makes this campaign so amazing?

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it and am grateful that Respawn crafted a campaign this time around. It was the thing I most wanted last time.

I like the movement, the gunplay is fun and it's fluid. However, a lot of the trappings feel kind of generic, like the enemies and some of the stages.

Note that I'm just about at the half-way point so I haven't finished it. I'm playing on hard, and have had some cheap deaths, but outside of the female boss it hasn't been too bad. She's pretty cheap.

I hope to finish it tomorrow, and think it's of quality. But, with all of the buzz here, I was expecting my socks to be blown off and for me to want to keep it just to replay the campaign -- something I don't get doing much.

So you just beat that female boss? Keep playing.

Everdred

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it and am grateful that Respawn crafted a campaign this time around. It was the thing I most wanted last time.

I like the movement, the gunplay is fun and it's fluid. However, a lot of the trappings feel kind of generic, like the enemies and some of the stages.

Note that I'm just about at the half-way point so I haven't finished it. I'm playing on hard, and have had some cheap deaths, but outside of the female boss it hasn't been too bad. She's pretty cheap.

I hope to finish it tomorrow, and think it's of quality. But, with all of the buzz here, I was expecting my socks to be blown off and for me to want to keep it just to replay the campaign -- something I don't get doing much.
For me it was the set pieces, platforming and boss battles.

I'm definitely picking this game up at some point due to all the positivity surrounding the SP, but I'll temper my expectations.

When people say it's as if Portal and Half-Life were made by Platinum Games, how can it possibly live up to that?

Also, I got bored of TF1 in a single evening, so the MP would really have to be something significantly different to hold my interest.

Mupod

I didn't like bounty hunt at first and preferred attrition. But bounty hunt just seems to flow a bit better after playing both for a while. Attrition's spawns are kind of all over the place.

The problem with bounty hunt is like 30% of the player base knows how it works. So you see a lot of 5000-1000 stomps or 1 guy carrying the team on either side.

I'll actually have time to play tonight so I'd like to get in on a GAF group (PC) instead of derping around with randoms. I wonder if Northstar would feel a lot more useful in an actual team.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I've applied for TitanGAF.

Ditched the gauntlet last night (for now) and hit the campaign on Hard. I got to the
Time Travel
portion. Campaign is pretty good so far. Loved the platforming in the factory. Very cool. Story is gash, mind.

Gonna try the MP tonight.

When people say it's as if Portal and Half-Life were made by Platinum Games, how can it possibly live up to that?

The gameplay and controls are pretty good, man.

Oh, I plan to beat it. I look forward to playing more.

I like it. I just don't love it.

Haven't tried mp yet but I'm much more of a sp guy.

Played more campaign last night, man it's great. Really gets going after the first few levels. Love BT as well.

Finally jumped into a MP match as well and it's a ton of fun. My first TF game so it's a bit different but it it's a blast and I think coupling this with BF1 I am set on FPS for a while lol. Can't wait to dive in more this weekend.

Yeah nah nerf Tone & Legion into the fucking ground
I'm done with LTS until they do some nerfing. It's ridiculous. And in Attrition I was in a match where someone called in a legion and stood up top (Homestead or Kodi?) and spawn camped for 29 pilot kills. I nearly quit out and bought Skyrim on the spot. A little more of this and I'll revisit this in a few months once adjustments are made.

KorrZ

It's not once you get used to the game. Many times I reacted to either escape or kill my attacker.

Yeah, it's gotten better as I've played more. I mean, if you're stationary and someone gets you from behind you're done. If you've got a bit of momentum going though, I've had success wall running or sliding around corners and surviving.

KodaRuss

Oh, I plan to beat it. I look forward to playing more.

I like it. I just don't love it.

Haven't tried mp yet but I'm much more of a sp guy.

You are on the precipice of greatness imo. The game is fairly straight forward up to where you have played. Like you said good not great yet.

What difficulty are you playing on also? I feel hard is the way it was meant to be played.

Mupod

I'm definitely picking this game up at some point due to all the positivity surrounding the SP, but I'll temper my expectations.

Also, I got bored of TF1 in a single evening, so the MP would really have to be something significantly different to hold my interest.

That sounds a little overblown. I do wish it had some more aspects of Vanquish other than the speed - Vanquish's thing was throwing in frequent nasty mid-boss enemies into encounters. Titanfall 2 doesn't even have you get into pilot on titan fights.

Don't get me wrong it was an enjoyable campaign. The Valve game comparisons are valid in that it feels like a lot of distinct memorable 'moments' with no filler.

It's that catch 22 situation where you want to get someone's interest in a game but if you try too hard they come back complaining that the game didn't cure cancer and save the whales.

It's not once you get used to the game. Many times I reacted to either escape or kill my attacker.

Are you on console? Because good luck getting away from people with mouse aim.

Stim combined with short wallruns for acceleration has gotten me out of some shit lately. But I've been sniped in the middle of that too.

I typically have no tolerance for extreme low TTK games. This one is an oddity in that it's a 'lol u ded instantly' game combined with Titans that can last forever if you're careful.

Any word from Respawn about a 1st round balancing patch or anything about the network performance (lag comp. etc. whatever it is?)

As is, TF2 is a fun and fast paced, casual MP shooter. I'm not sure how much longer i can invest into it without some fixes. It will be fun to hop into here and there but as soon as I hit gen 2 (4 levels i believe) i'll be spending the majority of my time in MW:R and IW.

IW gives me my advance movement fix (while nowhere near as fast as TF the maps are MUCH smaller) and MW:R gives me my difficult, tactical and cooperative shooter fix.

Man, going from hunting neon fucking christmas tree Pilots in TF2 to trying to identify player sin MW:R is an awakening. You actually have to REALLY hunt for enemy players as there was no hand-holding back then and you could blend in as an enemy. Man this shit is gooooood!

haikira

Digital Foundry - Face-Off: Titanfall 2

Titanfall 2 is a 60fps first-person shooter. On paper that might not sound particularly special. After all, it is the signature element that defines the Call of Duty experience, the standard that has come to dominate top-tier console-based first-person shooters to the point where 30fps challengers have had to evolve to match it. Case in point: both Battlefield and Halo have now joined the 60fps club. But what makes Titanfall 2 different, what makes it special, is that it does more than targets 60fps - it comprehensively delivers it. It feels great, but crucially, even in the most intense multiplayer action, it's consistently brilliant to play.

But Titanfall 2 is a game built upon a combination of insanely good mechanics and the tightest, most responsive interface between player and game we've seen for a long time. To all intents and purposes, this is a true 60fps shooter. It doesn't just target 60fps and hope for the best, it delivers it consistently with only the most intense of Titan on Titan scenarios breaking that lock. And the good news is that remains consistent across all three versions. There are a lot of great games coming out demanding your attention, but Titanfall 2 offers the most fun we've had from a shooter in a long time.

Currently at work, so just skimmed over the article. Going to give it a proper look when I'm home.

thedan001

Played Titanfall 1 for a year, on Xbox360 and then Xbox1

It was one of my favorite games ever

However, I wasn't impressed with the beta, it felt more like CoD than Titanfall at times

The reviews are convincing me to pick it up although (probably PS4)

Should I?

haikira

However, I wasn't impressed with the beta, it felt more like CoD than Titanfall at times

Should I?

Yep.

Mafro

Should I?
Yeah.

TF1 multiplayer is still better due to a lot of the dumb changes they made in this, and there's only one or two real stand out maps but the multiplayer is still better than COD and BF in my opinion and the single player campaign is one of the best in years.

Alx

Should I?

I'd agree with the three messages above.
I was in the same situation, loved the first one, disappointed by the beta. I wasn't too sure about the final game, but now I definitely love it. It's different from TF1, but still great in its own way. Totally worth it.

Bumhead

Banned

Should I?

I'm not going to combo break...

Yep

Alpha_eX

I only got this on the Xbox One because I prefer to play it with the XO pad, I just can't FPS with the PS4 pad but am curious about the PS4 Pro upgrades, not that I can think of anything it needs.

I'm loving this game.

Should I?

I didn't play Titanfall 1, but I am enjoying the hell out of Titanfall 2.

thedan001

Yeah.

TF1 multiplayer is still better due to a lot of the dumb changes they made in this, and there's only one or two real stand out maps but the multiplayer is still better than COD and BF in my opinion and the single player campaign is one of the best in years.

Totally worth it.

I'm not going to combo break...

Yep

Alright! I'm picking this up today, I'll be on discord chat sometime later

RedFury

I got dragged into playing BF1 last night (nephew refuses to buy TF2). It's so damn slow and unresponsive in comparison. The control difference got me killed more than once to say the least. Wall hop, NOPE grenade a wall and bounce back to my face *dead*. Slide into a room, NOPE go prone and enemy looks at me like I'm a stupid slug... a dead slug. Ah good times (not really I was so bored). Best thing out of it a friend joined in our party chat and asked if TF2 was any good, he heard "TF1 sucked". Told him it's the creators from MW1&2 and his response was "what those are the best CoDs!"...sold.

Vipu

Banned
I started using EPG as a joke/experiment but it's been working extremely well. So mostly that and sometimes CAR. It's great for Bounty Hunt/Attrition.

I started using EPG yesterday too in normal games and its very good.
Also helps to get better touch for it to win more games in Coloseum.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I know everyone is tired of talking about player population, etc. But it seems TF2 isn't affected by Infinite Warfare at all -- at least on PS4?

Players now at 13K, and it was 11-12K yesterday at this same time. Friends list are mostly playing BF1, with a few playing MWR MP. Literally saw maybe one person playing IW MP. Also, later today (afternoon) should hike back up to 20-24K. Hopefully, it goes back to 30K+ and more on weekends.

Nothing concrete but at least it didn't dive as some feared.

Are the servers down or is this game just completely dead? I am sitting here waiting for a game and it just can't find one. Tried both Bounty Hunt and Mixtape. On PC.

I know everyone is tired of talking about player population, etc. But it seems TF2 isn't affected by Infinite Warfare at all -- at least on PS4?

Players now at 13K, and it was 11-12K yesterday at this same time. Friends list are mostly playing BF1, with a few playing MWR MP. Literally saw maybe one person playing IW MP. Also, later today (afternoon) should hike back up to 20-24K. Hopefully, it goes back to 30K+ and more on weekends.

Nothing concrete but at least it didn't dive as some feared.

Give it time for everything to settle today/this weekend. Heck, the US is just waking up and getting to work and school this Friday lol.

I hope TF2 will continue to grow and gain more players. Right now i havent personally seen more than 22,000 people on PS4 (i'm sure there has been more). It's not CoD or BF and wont have millions of players but it doesnt need to. As long as i can always jump on and find a game quickly... thats as many as i need lol!

That said i do think we'll see a small dip this weekend/next week. I for one will be spending time in all 3.

E92 M3

Yeah, it's gotten better as I've played more. I mean, if you're stationary and someone gets you from behind you're done. If you've got a bit of momentum going though, I've had success wall running or sliding around corners and surviving.

Yeah, it's all about getting used to it.

That sounds a little overblown. I do wish it had some more aspects of Vanquish other than the speed - Vanquish's thing was throwing in frequent nasty mid-boss enemies into encounters. Titanfall 2 doesn't even have you get into pilot on titan fights.

Don't get me wrong it was an enjoyable campaign. The Valve game comparisons are valid in that it feels like a lot of distinct memorable 'moments' with no filler.

It's that catch 22 situation where you want to get someone's interest in a game but if you try too hard they come back complaining that the game didn't cure cancer and save the whales.

Are you on console? Because good luck getting away from people with mouse aim.

Stim combined with short wallruns for acceleration has gotten me out of some shit lately. But I've been sniped in the middle of that too.

I typically have no tolerance for extreme low TTK games. This one is an oddity in that it's a 'lol u ded instantly' game combined with Titans that can last forever if you're careful.

I play on console, so can't comment on the PC side.

dankir

I really wish you could mix and match Titan loadouts. I love Ion's gun and his balance of speed and hp but fuck Laser Shot and double fuck Tripwire.

Yeah but then the balance would go to shit. I originally thought I wouldn't be happy with preset loadouts but they're pretty good as is. Maybe more kits later on?

I love this game, just love it, just been playing multiplayer for a few hours a night since launch last week.

The one thing I hate hate hate hate and is considerably worse is the evacuation ship!

1 - The ship is stationary for too long
2 - If there are at least 3 - 4 enemy titans your ship is doomed, I don't recall blowing up this many ships before in TF1

It's too easy to take down now I usually don't even bother to board it if I see that it's surrounded.

There's no more shields on the ship right? Don't even need nuclear ejection to take it down anymore.

Also just tried the Volt for a few times last night, it's definitely the best sounding gun in the game, feels great too.

Alx

The funny thing is there's no major incentive for the winners to blow up the ship, they already got their merit for winning the game, they could just let the losers evacuate peacefully to get their own, and everybody could part as friends. ^_^

ViviOggi

I'm done with LTS until they do some nerfing. It's ridiculous. And in Attrition I was in a match where someone called in a legion and stood up top (Homestead or Kodi?) and spawn camped for 29 pilot kills. I nearly quit out and bought Skyrim on the spot. A little more of this and I'll revisit this in a few months once adjustments are made.
Yeah the last LTS games variety threw me into people just started leaving asap

Mupod

The funny thing is there's no major incentive for the winners to blow up the ship, they already got their merit for winning the game, they could just let the losers evacuate peacefully to get their own, and everybody could part as friends. ^_^

Last night I blew up the dropship at the last possible second with a homing rocket and felt like kind of a dick.

Xater

But I might still get stuff to level up my equipment.

E92 M3

Stats are coming soon and it's fun blowing up a ship full of pilots.

dankir

I don't mind blowing it up when I win a match, but I've only evacuated successfully a handful of times since last Friday.

The ship is out in the open for way too long.

Jito

Banned
Just finished the campaign, man those last few levels were a non stop rollercoaster, loved it!

BT is such a dude.

Strider

I go afk during the epilogue lol

literally couldn't care less about it

At the very least I wish they'd speed the process up. I don't care even a little bit about exp or merits so that whole incentive is irrelevant. You get more than enough by just playing.

Top Bottom