• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

robotrock

Banned
They could always do some engine tests, port over some small sections into UE4 and see what they could do. In my opinion, while they certainly seem to have made the best looking game that's used Source as a base, the engine is definitely showing age and there's only so much you can do on it.

R2 showcases Respawn's terrific art design but it really is held back by a somewhat disappointed and dated visual set. Hopefully they can find a solution for R3 where they can maintain that perfect gameplay feel but crank up their visual game.

I see people using R2 a lot with this game a lot but I have no idea what it means. Is it Titanfall 2?

Schlorgan

I'm not at Respawn lol.

My bad. :3

I see people using R2 a lot with this game a lot but I have no idea what it means. Is it Titanfall 2?

Respawn 2. It's a carry-over of their internal numbering for Call of Duty (IW, IW2, IW3, etc.)

Was Source picked for asset streaming? I thought it was because of the (later unnecessary) need for 60fps on PS3 since they didn't have access to any of their tools from IW.

Framerate plus them not needing to pay to license it seem like the main reasons (that I can see).

Just finished the campaign on hard mode. Really enjoyed it. Very polished and varied missions with some extremely awesome moments.

Gator86

It's Titanfall 2's codename during development at Respawn. It's used here because it makes people feel cool and included by other people and who spend too much time on TF2 boards.

Was Source picked for asset streaming? I thought it was because of the (later unnecessary) need for 60fps on PS3 since they didn't have access to any of their tools from IW.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-respawn-the-titanfall-interview

They picked Source, slapped a brand new 64bit DX11 renderer onto it, and made it as fast as possible. Plus their previous experience on IW engine which is also a descendant of id Tech.

Also did they change crouch to reset once you touch the ground? I didn't remember it was like that. Or I'm just bad and don't know how to hop with a controller any more...

It's Titanfall 2's codename during development at Respawn. It's used here because it makes people feel cool and included by other people and who spend too much time on TF2 boards.

Yeah I was wondering this too. Doesn't really make sense unless you're working in the dev studio. Don't see why people can't just say Titanfall 2 or T2 to avoid the confusion.

Gator86

Yeah I was wondering this too. Doesn't really make sense unless you're working in the dev studio. Don't see why people can't just say Titanfall 2 or T2 to avoid the confusion.

Yeah, it serves zero useful purpose outside what I mentioned. Obviously T2 and TF2 are referring to the game this OT is about. Using R2 outside a TF2 thread is even more useless. No one outside these threads is going to know what the fuck R2 is.

Schlorgan

Yeah, it serves zero useful purpose outside what I mentioned. Obviously T2 and TF2 are referring to the game this OT is about. Using R2 outside a TF2 thread is even more useless. No one outside these threads is going to know what the fuck R2 is.

He's a droid.

B00TE

Just did my first MP game. omfg, this game. I suck ass at the multi, weird FPS issues and what not but holy shit even despite that. I need to calm down though, I kept getting the drop on people and was still dying. Bounty Hunt is actually a lot of fun, though I don't think I'd play it over Attrition. Funny thing though, I went in as a party with Lren and it put us on opposite teams lol.

Marvel

could never
I keep getting kicked before a game even begins... was working fine earlier.

Connection to the server just times out, every damn time.

Calen

They could always do some engine tests, port over some small sections into UE4 and see what they could do. In my opinion, while they certainly seem to have made the best looking game that's used Source as a base, the engine is definitely showing age and there's only so much you can do on it.
As a team, we are extremely leery of throwing away perfectly fine, working code and starting over with no obvious, immediate benefits to doing so. That's not to say we wouldn't ever do it if it was very clear we needed to, but we are keenly aware of how small our coding team is and our time tends to be allocated towards things that directly make the game better at the time.

As for "there's only so much you can do on it," an engine is just code. There's no decision an engine team makes that can't be reworked later on, it's just a question of priorities and resources. DKo5's blog post on our PC specs goes into more detail about what specifically is new for this game; there's a ton of it.

Edited to add: You're absolutely right, though, if we were to move to UE4 or whatever else that's exactly what we would do. It's just a whoooooole lot more likely that we'd just prototype our own implementation of whatever feature we felt was missing.

How is the titan balance? A good mix of rock paper scissors or what? I actually like the idea of these titans compared to TF1

Any OP Titans or are they all equally tiered?

I got denied to the TitanGAF group on PC despite having my name on the spreadsheet. Is something wrong or aren't all people being accepted?

How is the titan balance? A good mix of rock paper scissors or what? I actually like the idea of these titans compared to TF1

Any OP Titans or are they all equally tiered?

Tone is everyone's favorite right now. But Legion, Ronin and Scorch can all be devastating in the right hands, I feel Northstar is a little underpowered.

Rayme

If you're at Respawn: Frostbite is probably off the table, do you think you guys would move to UE4 as your main engine or are you pretty comfortable with modified Source at this point (for any future Titanfall games)?

If all of the Source engine disappeared from our depot, we'd still have a massive amount of code & technology that we've built ourselves.

Rendering, weapon systems, controls, audio, most of the movement systems, scripting, networking, HUD, in-world UI, much of AI, asset backends, etc... this stopped being Portal2/L4D2 a long time ago. =)

Point is: things are much more complicated than "an engine", and there's a lot in here that's straight-up Respawn. I know that can be weird to wrap minds around, but think of an engine more like a starship, I guess (right; that doesn't help, but I'm going with it). We've modified a lot of what we found, and replaced even more; even the very bones.

If all of the Source engine disappeared from our depot, we'd still have a massive amount of code & technology that we've built ourselves.

Rendering, weapon systems, controls, audio, most of the movement systems, scripting, networking, HUD, in-world UI, much of AI, asset backends, etc... this stopped being Portal2/L4D2 a long time ago. =)

Point is: things are much more complicated than "an engine", and there's a lot in here that's straight-up Respawn. I know that can be weird to wrap minds around, but think of an engine more like a starship, I guess (right; that doesn't help, but I'm going with it). We've modified a lot of what we found, and replaced even more; even the very bones.

I was showing the game to a couple friends and colleagues today and non of them realize the game is built on Source :)

Wow, you all were NOT kidding about the quality of the campaign. I didn't even want one, but now I can't imagine the game without it.

I got denied to the TitanGAF group on PC despite having my name on the spreadsheet. Is something wrong or aren't all people being accepted?
You joined the old network, which was really buggy and acting weird, so it was deleted. There's a new network with the same name (I changed the link under the OP) that works- request to join that one!

Anyone know how the pre order bonus works for PC? THis was from the best buy order page

Pre-Order Bonus
Get early access to Angel City, the remastered fan favorite map. Give your titan extra flair with the Nitro Pack, featuring special Warpaint and Nose Art customizations for the Scorch titan as well as a unique GOLD|Beast Mode callsign.

I received my pre order today but haven't gotten any pre order bonuses inside the case or via e-mail. Not a huge deal, but just curious if anyone who pre ordered the PC version got their bonuses. Its already pre loaded for me on Origin, and when I click on Extra content there is nothing listed.

Mine is downloading right now. It took me to the last minute to decide between this and Infinite Warfare.

163.gif

So @ any respawn devs in this thread

There are a lot of... "inspirational" women titan arts/banners. Are there any plans to add any beefcake dudes?

I'd like to think that not everyone in the milita/IMC is a heterosexual male/lesbian woman :)

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
So @ any respawn devs in this thread

There are a lot of... "inspirational" women titan arts/banners. Are there any plans to add any beefcake dudes?

I'd like to think that not everyone in the milita/IMC is a heterosexual male/lesbian woman :)

There are lots of beefcake dudes! Keep unlocking.

Izuna

Banned

Code and I will check the spreedsheet semi-frequently. I think there's an issue with how the Networks work from the page atm. Perhaps at release it'll be better.

Just finished the campaign. It's so damn good. Took me about five to six hours. Does not overstay its welcome one bit. Level design is top notch which leads to fun variance in the encounters.

Tops Doom as my favorite FPS campaign of the last few years, which I thought nothing could do.

Izuna

Banned
Tops Doom as my favorite FPS campaign of the last few years, which I thought nothing could do.

I'd hope it'd top Doom. I can't wait to talk of my impressions of it.

When is this unlocking for US (where my code was from). I know my Origin copy unlocks in 30 minutes.

B00TE

Turned down my sensitivity, helped me do a lot better in controlling my aim. Also switched to the shotgun (the not-mastiff). Did loads better. I can't fight at long range for shit (at least out of my titan), and that is gonna affect me on maps like homestead. Also goosing people with Ion is the fucking best.

Top Bottom