• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

The stupid battery mechanic in this really makes no sense at all. You have a battery already in your titan but no shield. Someone steals your battery and you kill them, get out and put the battery back in which gives you a shield.

What?
yeah, it's weird and convoluted

KodaRuss

The stupid battery mechanic in this really makes no sense at all. You have a battery already in your titan but no shield. Someone steals your battery and you kill them, get out and put the battery back in which gives you a shield.

What?

yeah, it's weird and convoluted

Seriously?

Take a battery from Titan does a set amount of damage.

Put a battery in a Titan gains some health and a battery charge.

Whats so difficult about that to get?

What?

Yeah, I agree.

It would have made more sense if Titans dropped with a shield, and stealing the battery took the shield away, plus the chunk of health. Then, if you get the battery back, you get the shield back.

Seriously?

Mechanically it makes sense, logically it doesn't. Removing a battery and replacing it provides a utility it didn't have to begin with instead of resetting to the default.

Take Nuclear Ejection out of the game.

maxresdefault.jpg

perfect consecutive posts

NERF THIS

Mafro

Seriously?

Why does the titan not have a shield if it already has a battery in there?

I know what stealing a battery does, but the whole concept is just really stupid and doesn't make sense.

Haines

Banned
Seriously?

It's a flavour fail. Mechanically doesn't line up with what makes sense in your head.

I like the game play aspect but it's very nonsensical

Revas

I know what stealing a battery does, but the whole concept is just really stupid and doesn't make sense.

Taking the battery out and reinserting it is like blowing into old NES carts. These old Militia batteries have to be taken out and reinserted from time to time in order to function properly.

KodaRuss

It's a flavour fail. Mechanically doesn't line up with what makes sense in your head.

I like the game play aspect but it's very nonsensical

I assume that there are multiple battery slots like BT has in the campaign. That would make sense right? Every Titan starts with one battery and an extra one in another slot would add a shield?

Sou Da

Mechanically it makes sense, logically it doesn't. Removing a battery and replacing it provides a utility it didn't have to begin with instead of resetting to the default.

I can bullshit this off the top of my head if you makes you feel any better.

Forcibly removing the spare battery does internal damage while the Titan is active, putting it back in re-prioritizes it to shield functionality.

It's pure mechanical design, who cares. You already get a more interesting secondary health bar with the doomed changes.

The battery mechanic doesn't work because titans are too frail. In Titanfall 1, rodeo was a legit way to bring down a titan. This is what people want to do, and you need to design around that. Now its far, far better to blast away. People will pick the path of least resistance to destroying Titans - which ain't repeatedly jumping on their backs and sitting through lengthy animations.

The battery mechanic is also awful for objective modes. It really takes alot of time to rodeo, pull a battery out, and then attempt to escape and find a friendly to deliver it to. The whole time you are a giant "SHOOT ME" target. It's risky, takes alot of time, communication, and the whole time people are doing this, they are not doing anything to help the objective.

The battery mechanic is something that sounded neat in concept, but it really doesn't work well.

And really the whole mechanic is so slow, in such a fast paced game, it feel so out of place.

Really would have been better to make the battery mechanic an option, when a player mounts a Titan, let them rodeo and attack it like in TF1, but if they want to, press a button to attempt battery extraction.

Jarmel

Banned
The battery mechanic is also awful for objective modes. It really takes alot of time to rodeo, pull a battery out, and then attempt to escape and find a friendly to deliver it to. The whole time you are a giant "SHOOT ME" target. It's risky, takes alot of time, communication, and the whole time people are doing this, they are not doing anything to help the objective.

The battery mechanic is something that sounded neat in concept, but it really doesn't work well.

Don't forget how pretty muh every Titan has smoke now. It's absolutely stupid.

Mafro

I assume that there are multiple battery slots like BT has in the campaign. That would make sense right? Every Titan starts with one battery and an extra one in another slot would add a shield?
But when someone steals it from your titan then you kill them and put it back in you still have just one battery in there.

Respawn what have you done.

I've come to hate them. They're brainless and totally disrupt the flow of the game for some "press a to awesome" type shit. You should take damage during them but be able to use them to short-circuit nuclear ejection and prevent pilots from escaping. Risk/reward instead of pointless distraction.

Exactly, risk/reward like the original. They stop looking awesome after a few uses, anyway. There was no reason to dumb it down so much.

I can bullshit this off the top of my head if you makes you feel any better.

Forcibly removing the spare battery does internal damage while the Titan is active, putting it back in re-prioritizes it to shield functionality.

It's pure mechanical design, who cares. You already get a more interesting secondary health bar with the doomed changes.

You can bullshit a lore rationale for pretty much any logical inconsistency you want. That doesn't erase the logical inconsistency.

And I disagree that a smaller second health bar provides more interesting combat possibilities than the recharging shields from the first TF or the campaign. It was a touch of Halos tactical, methodical back-and-forth combat balanced perfectly against the go-go-go kineticism of the pilot combat.

I'd argue the weaker Titans have made Titan combat overly cautious.

XBP

Am I the only one who's getting really bad frame drops in busier combat? I have a gtx 970, playing at 1440p and pretty everything at low yet during fighting with other titans I'm getting drops to 50s and 60s (mostly stays above 90 otherwise). CPU is a 5820k so that's not an issue plus the game is installed on my SSD.

I would use the dynamic resolution option but that makes everything really blurry.

KodaRuss

I know there are different opinions on these issues but the general consensus is from TF1 players that I have seen is that Titans are not as powerful and go down to easily now.

At the same time some of these same people are complaining that it is too hard to rodeo Titans and it doesnt do enough damage (ie. Not worth it?)

Is that right am I missing something here because this doesnt really mesh in the end.

soultron

Banned
I'll be over here, really liking the new battery+rodeo mechanic.

Also, you should try baiting smoke if you think it's OP. Jump on, hold for a 2-count, then jump off. If you see smoke, wait it out, if possible, then jump back on and let the battery pull anim run through this time.

This works surprisingly well on lone Titans, in my experience. Often times they can't see you since they will be a sitting duck in their own smoke, waiting for hit markers or a kill notification. Use Ordinance on their Titan while they sit in their own smoke or even when the smoke is coming down. If you feel particularly saucy and happen to be packing an AT weapon, you can probably also get a free shot in here.

I know there are different opinions on these issues but the general consensus is from TF1 players that I have seen is that Titans are not as powerful and go down to easily now.

At the same time some of these same people are complaining that it is too hard to rodeo Titans and it doesnt do enough damage (ie. Not worth it?)

Is that right am I missing something here because this doesnt really mesh in the end.

The old game you wanted to rodeo because it was the most effective way to kill a titan. Now it's easiest just to shoot them from god knows where with your anti-titan weapon. And these shots actually really matter since you don't have a shield anymore.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

I meant Legion, by the way. I referred to Legion as "her" since I always use Tone. XD

Overcore + Smart Core extender is so damn powerful; to the point that even if I'm doomed, I still fight since getting it up with the shield means you can melt them faster.

Menitta

I'll be over here, really liking the new battery+rodeo mechanic.

Also, you should try baiting smoke if you think it's OP. Jump on, hold for a 2-count, then jump off. If you see smoke, wait it out, if possible, then jump back on and let the battery pull anim run through this time.

This works surprisingly well on lone Titans, in my experience. Often times they can't see you since they will be a sitting duck in their own smoke, waiting for hit markers or a kill notification. Use Ordinance on their Titan while they sit in their own smoke or even when the smoke is coming down.

I think I've been unintentionally doing that lol. That's a good idea.

Sou Da

You can bullshit a lore rationale for pretty much any logical inconsistency you want. That doesn't erase the logical inconsistency.

And I disagree that a smaller second health bar provides more interesting combat possibilities than the recharging shields from the first TF or the campaign. It was a touch of Halos tactical, methodical back-and-forth combat balanced perfectly against the go-go-go kineticism of the pilot combat.

I'd argue the weaker Titans have made Titan combat overly cautious.

And I argue that people play a lot more interestingly than they did previously when doomed.

Really not accomplishing anything when it comes to using my Titan. I get it, I get in it, I don't really get a whole lot done then it just gets blown up.

Repeat.

Don't call in your Titan until at least one other is either on call (grey bar) or in the field (Titan icon). Stick with other Titans. Call your Titan in away from the hot zone unless your team already has Titan numbers there. No recharging shields means you'll be dead soon after landing if the other guys have numbers.

If you go one-on-one with anybody half decent, you'll walk away with a ton of damage, even if you win... And that's ignoring enemy pilots attacking you.

Too many people get overly excited and prematurely call their Titans into disadvantageous situations.

And I argue that people play a lot more interestingly than they did previously when doomed.

You pretty much have to kamikazee or eject, not really seeing whats interesting. The awful map designs force Titans into confined spaces with very little room to escape an maneuver. Usually when you are doomed, it's time to just bail.

Every Titan ran it TF1 to begin with.

Cluster missiles 4 lyfe

KodaRuss

I think the most satisfying kill is shooting off a pilot from your teammates Titan.

"Stop moving! I got your back! Blam! Enemy Pilot down!"

Gator86

Exactly, risk/reward like the original. They stop looking awesome after a few uses, anyway. There was no reason to dumb it down so much.

Yeah, it's mind-boggling they didn't implement it this way in the first place. Right now, it's just the pilot dooming mashing melee like a fucker trying for the easy execution and the doomed pilot mashing for the nuke. Totally brainless shit.

Menitta

I think the most satisfying kill is shooting off a pilot from your teammates Titan.

"Stop moving! I got your back! Blam! Enemy Pilot down!"

I was rodeoing a friendly titan and a guy grappled on to ME and kicked me off right after he was ejected. I ain't even mad.

Anung

Un Rama
I just wish they left the the rodeo and shield mechanics the same. I want to love Titanfall 2ms MP but it just makes me want to go back and play the original.

Reebot

You've completely misunderstood.

No one, literally no one, is saying its too hard to rodeo.

It's not worth it because Titans have pathetic durability and rodeo does essentially nothing.

In the time you rodeo a Titan, a competent pilot would do exceptionally more damage using anti-titan weaponry. This is a breakdown in game design and it makes the entire battery mechanic superfluous.

And that's even before mentioning how battery-holding pilots are highlighted trough walls by your Titan. In most cases, I feel relieved when someone "steals" my battery - I'll kill them with wall hacks and get a nice shield boost.

E92 M3

I will pay GOOD money to be able to customize my pilot how I want. Love the camo, but the look is awful lol.

Why not just let us use the pilot body we want?

Dranakin

I really like this game, but...I only have time to invest in one FPS until next fall and I also have BF1. I wonder if I should just trade-in TF2 as BF1 seem to be the better long-term investment.

I will pay GOOD money to be able to customize my pilot how I want. Love the camo, but the look is awful lol.

Why not just let us use the pilot body we want?

For the same reason that the Titan load outs are now locked into specific bodies.

Easily identifiable silhouettes allow players to react and adapt more quickly in battle. You don't have to wait and see a pilot use a tactical ability to know what they're packing at a glance.

E92 M3

For the same reason that the Titan load outs are now locked into specific bodies.

Easily identifiable silhouettes allow players to react and adapt more quickly in battle. You don't have to wait and see a pilot use a tactical ability to know what they're packing at a glance.

Sure, but the human pilots have a couple abilities and so do the robots. The camo guy just looks crazy compared to everyone else. So bulky....why

Jarmel

Banned

Gun battles don't last anywhere near long enough for that to matter in the slightest.

Top Bottom