• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Animator

I started using Ronin more regularly, it's a lot of fun, but quite hard to get close to opponents without losing too much health. I'm hesitating between giving him an additional boost, or nuclear ejection. Both can be useful...
His sword slashes are sometimes a bit cheap, killing pilots when they're inside a building. But I like it that way. :D
I'm not sure how to use his phase shift ability. It seems too short to be usable to move very far, should I always use a dash when entering phased world ?

Use phase to get behind enemies. For example if 2 enemy titans are facing your titans firing back and forth you can just rush in and phase behind them and shotgun from the back. Now they have to focus on you and your team can hit em when their back is turned.

Ronin is a very disposable mech when it's mech vs mech since in his optimal range you will always be taking dmg. That's why I always run nuclear eject. For his ability I would recommend the double electric charge attack. You always need to hit the enemy with that before you rush in and nuclear eject.

Alx

Yes I already noticed how useful the multiple charge attack was. I didn't think of using it in a combination with nuclear attack though, that's clever.

Just started the campaign, already almost done with the first three actual missions. Started on regular but switched to hard pretty early on and I usually play shooters on normal. Normal just didn't seem nearly challenging enough and the level and enemy design makes me want to actually play around instead of just gunning down everything in 2 seconds to rush to the next set piece.

Sadly though it says I only played the first two missions on regular even though I switched right at the start of the second, hope I won't have to replay both of them in the entirety on hard.

Also the eva-8 shotgun destroys, definitely gonna try and use it in mp once I get around to that.

Any good online guides to learn some tricks and mechanics for newbies?

Also I signed up for titangaf on ps4. Excited to play with y'all.

Reebot

You get like a 60% increase on your titan meter after a successful rodeo.

It may not do super damage, but itś definitely worth it to get your titan down faster.

Right, but nobody who causally plays cares about that.

You have to design systems that player will actually engage with. Joe Average wants to make Titans go boom, he won't crunch build time numbers. So we get a situation in which the battery mechanic is essentially dead for the vast majority of players.

A better system would account for this and make rodeos an efficient path toward Titan kills, encouraging new or casual players to use the system.

Giving an option between removing battery for cool-down gains or shooting the core for raw damage would be a great improvement, as it adds tactical depth and options while rewarding smart decision making.

Do you guys recommend playing the campaign on normal or hard? I like a bit of challenge but not frustration.
See my post right above yours :p

I usually play shooters on normal but normal here is just silly easy, enemies die super fast and there's not much reason to parkour or cloak.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How to dominate with Ronin:
  • Against Pilots, just rush them down and use your sword. Don't waste your time with shooting. Sword range is incredibly long and an instant kill. I spec triple boost so I can catch up to pilots from across the map (3 boosts + phase shift).
  • Never engage a Titan that sees you first unless you are within shotgun range. Just run.
  • Flank constantly. When approaching titans from behind, save up 2 charges of boost. Unload entire shotgun. When they turn around, phase forward and reload. Unload the entire clip. Depending on what titan it is, boost around (while phase recharges) and dodge their shots and keep shooting. Or, run and recharge your abilities. If you have sword core & are flanking, unload shotgun first, then phase behind & activate sword core to kill. You will destroy any titan.
  • Don't underestimate your sword block. If a tone sees you from far away, just block his shots. Sword block helps you save those precious hitpoints.
  • Ronin is useful even when he's doomed. He's by far the best titan for killing pilots.

Loadout I use is triple boost & faster phase recharge. I average around 4-5 titan kills/game.

Wensih

Finished the game and returned it this afternoon. What a doozy! It reminded me more of Portal than Half-life, a weird comparison being thrown around a lot. Really neat game, aim assist is crazy. It felt good, but didnt require effort. Is this what CoD feels like? They seemed to focus more on environmental platforming than shooting in the campaign.

KodaRuss

I am not sure if I really like last Titan Standing or not. I think it could be amazing getting some Gaf groups together. Not being able to communicate drives me a little nuts.

Watched enough killcams to realize that Cloak (kinda like Grapple) is sorta useless once people start getting good. Or that I'm just terrible and too obvious while using it. Adjusting to Stim, but it's pretty damn good.

Wish Scorch was just a touch faster, or a bit tougher. Feels like it just gets eaten alive as soon as it drops.

Gator86

Just pulled off my first 200+ game with Scorch in Attrition. 9 titan kills altogether. Thank god for Ronin. When played well, I can't imagine a more oppressive titan than Scorch. Just everything on fire and him in your face, grabbing your head with flaming hands.

3DShovel

Anybody having luck with the grenadier class weapons? Ive been trying to use the Cold War and not having any real success with it. Theres no way i can go head to head with another person, i get killed before the weapon even charges lol. I feel like i have to play really conservative and pick off unsuspecting people.
Cold War should be buffed to a guaranteed kill with each burst. It's a little ridiculous that a weapon that needs to charge up has to fire twice to kill someone at full health.

Mini rocket launcher is hands down the best Gren weapon.

SkylineRKR

Watched enough killcams to realize that Cloak (kinda like Grapple) is sorta useless once people start getting good. Or that I'm just terrible and too obvious while using it. Adjusting to Stim, but it's pretty damn good.

Wish Scorch was just a touch faster, or a bit tougher. Feels like it just gets eaten alive as soon as it drops.

Scorch is great, doing well with him lately. Just set the ground on fire, essentially trap and forcing your opponent to take damage over time. Core seems to charge rather fast too, probably because of constant damage ticks on multi targets. His shield murders Pilots who try to get the jump on you from the front. I think hes balanced well.

Cloak is what I still use from time to time, but its getting less useful. Grapple is completely fucking dumb, I can reach any point in the map without it, just as fast. And i'm kinda novice still (haven't played 1). Stim is great getaway, or to actually get in.

Finished the game and returned it this afternoon. What a doozy! It reminded me more of Portal than Half-life, a weird comparison being thrown around a lot. Really neat game, aim assist is crazy. It felt good, but didnt require effort. Is this what CoD feels like? They seemed to focus more on environmental platforming than shooting in the campaign.

In COD you can turn the aim assist off in campaign, but you can't here, for some reason. The aim assist in MP is differen to that which features in SP (much less assisted).

Scorch is great, doing well with him lately. Just set the ground on fire, essentially trap and forcing your opponent to take damage over time. Core seems to charge rather fast too, probably because of constant damage ticks on multi targets. His shield murders Pilots who try to get the jump on you from the front. I think hes balanced well.

Cloak is what I still use from time to time, but its getting less useful. Grapple is completely fucking dumb, I can reach any point in the map without it, just as fast. And i'm kinda novice still (haven't played 1). Stim is great getaway, or to actually get in.

Still getting to grips with the game myself but I'm finding the grapple quite useful for getting down to the ground super quick.

Alx

Woah, I had my best score by far using Ronin and nuclear ejection. It feels cheap to go kamikaze against groups of titans (also it has its risks, I got my share of executions), but it rakes in so many points.
Slicing pilots is fun, and walking towards a titan while deflecting its shots is really cool.

I used the anti-titan plasma gun with the quick shot ability, and it feels much too powerful, you can get your boost and titan in no time, while damaging other titans from any distance with no charging time.

GRaider81

Game is so great. Im not great at all but finding death much better to take than BF1.

I bought both at same time a couple of days ago and holy shit do I just want to play this.

Its just so much fun, difficult to put my finger on it.

Which auto titan is best?

Scorch seems to get quite a few kills on its own. Ion kind of does too but not to the same extent I think.

Legion doesn't seem to do too well on auto mode.

Haven't tried any of the others.

HelloMeow

I'm trying to play Titanfall 1 on PC at the moment, to compare some things and wow, there are at least as many players as there were before Titanfall 2 released.

Gator86

Which auto titan is best?

Scorch seems to get quite a few kills on its own. Ion kind of does too but not to the same extent I think.

Legion doesn't seem to do too well on auto mode.

Haven't tried any of the others.

I've seen next to zero discussion about this so that's a solid question. For me, the titan combat is by far my favorite part of the game so I never, ever auto titan.

Strider

I'm trying to play Titanfall 1 on PC at the moment, to compare some things and wow, there are at least as many players as there were before Titanfall 2 released.

There was 300-400 people on TF1 throughout the week leading up to TF2 every night I logged on... How many are on now?

Finally ripped off the plastic and tossed this bad boy into my PS4 today. Enjoying it so far, few chapters into the campaign and a bit of online.

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best game mode? So far I've only played Attrition, and played a bit of bounty and hardpoint in the beta.

Also, is there any mention of Frontier Defense making a return? Kinda disappointed it's not included.

robotrock

Banned
Finally ripped off the plastic and tossed this bad boy into my PS4 today. Enjoying it so far, few chapters into the campaign and a bit of online.

I'm wondering what the consensus is on the best game mode? So far I've only played Attrition, and played a bit of bounty and hardpoint in the beta.

Also, is there any mention of Frontier Defense making a return? Kinda disappointed it's not included.

Vince Zampella tweeted that it wouldn't be launch, so...I'm definitely expecting Fronteir Defense to return at some point!

Also it took me a bit but Bounty Hunt is definitely my favorite game mode now.

Chris1

Vince Zampella tweeted that it wouldn't be launch, so...I'm definitely expecting Fronteir Defense to return at some point!

Also it took me a bit but Bounty Hunt is definitely my favorite game mode now.

I hope frontier defense becomes its own huge thing rather than just another playlist. I get why it was like that cause it was added late into TF1's life but I'd like to see it be separated from usual multiplayer and expanded on and hugely improved across the board. Make it a true horde mode not just a MP playlist.

Arrrammis

Bounty Hunt is my favorite, but capture the flag, Hardpoint, and Last Titan Standing are all pretty good too. Everyone on Gaf seems to really love Attrition, but I just don't really enjoy it. The maps are too large to play without some objective to draw people together, and more often than not, the a.i. (especially the friendly reapers) just get in the way instead of adding some new layer of interest. Pilot vs. Pilot would be good if the maps were less 2-dimensional - I would love to have a map that has more vertical space than horizontal so that pilots could climb and use height advantage.

robotrock

Banned
I hope frontier defense becomes its own huge thing rather than just another playlist. I get why it was like that cause it was added late into TF1's life but I'd like to see it be separated from usual multiplayer and expanded on and hugely improved across the board. Make it a true horde mode not just a MP playlist.

Yeah that would be really cool. Make it as much of an option next to Single Player and Multiplayer in the main menu.

LowSignal

It's crazy that i'm screaming in my mic for my teammate in a titan to come back so I can give him a battery yet they boost off to do lord knows what. The have press X to callout to "noscopeking420" and they still run off. I feel like a majority of the people playing have no idea what to do. The teams that are good and have all wall hacks are amazing too. Still a fun game but needs some adjustment.

I've seen next to zero discussion about this so that's a solid question. For me, the titan combat is by far my favorite part of the game so I never, ever auto titan.

Usually I use it as bait to draw people out into the open. Also you can double team people with your titan because they'll usually try shooting at while you pepper them from behind or grab onto their titan to divert attention from the titan to you but I usually run phase shift now so I can disappear so they'll look back to my titan and just try and rodeo them again.

I think this will be more effective once I get that perk that makes your rodeo climbing silent (I'm assuming they get no notification that they are being rodeoed) which should be useful.

Murtrod

There is a TitanGAF network on each platform that NeoGAF members can use to coordinate and play together!

PS4: https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/playstation/203441/ (admins: RedFury, Broadbandito)
Xbox One: https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/xbox/272243/ (admin: Cobalt Izuna)
PC: https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/networks/pc/163/ (admins: Codeacious, Joyful)

To get into the network, request membership via the URL above or search for "TitanGAF" in-game.
IMPORTANT: In order to confirm your request, you'll also need to add yourself to the spreadsheet Cobalt Izuna made! Quote this post to see the link to the spreadsheet. If you're having issues accessing the spreadsheet or don't have your membership to the network approved, PM one of the admins of the network for the platform you're on.

The spreadsheet has three tabs, one for each platform.

We have a couple TitanfallGAF Discord channels. Quote this post to get the invite links!
There's also a TitanfallGAF XBO Club managed by SOR5 over in the Xbox Club thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279623

Would like to join, thanks!

Top Bottom