• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Izuna

Banned
If you use vortex shield to charge a Tone you will get wasted by any decent player because you are going burn through your energy thus making you under perform in terms of DPS. I said slight buff for a reason, to put him on more of an even heel with Tone and Legion. Scorch could have a bit more ability when it comes to long range encounters, would make it so he has a bit better of a chance of closing the gap on offense or so he can possibly land a hit before seeking cover on defense.

No, I really don't understand this, Ion is literally the counter to Tone and Legion. Vortex shield is how you negate basically anything Tone can do to you at a distance.

Get close to Tone, she's done for.

I don't see why you refuse the appreciate that these Titans aren't supposed to be different skins of each other. They're good in certain situations and fights. It was old Legion who was a little too good and doing well in all of them.

zou

cloak is cheesy as fuck in R2.

they need to change it back to how it was in the first game, right now everyone uses it because it's too effective. tried it for the first time last night and easily dominated all three games. so I can either have fun with grapple/stim but get killed by cloaked campers all the way across the map or play a boring, but effective match.

Izuna

Banned
Stim > Cloak

iV0bBD7.gif

E92 M3

cloak is cheesy as fuck in R2.

they need to change it back to how it was in the first game, right now everyone uses it because it's too effective. tried it for the first time last night and easily dominated all three games. so I can either have fun with grapple/stim but get killed by cloaked campers all the way across the map or play a boring, but effective match.

Most people aren't using it. Camping doesn't win matches.

--

One thing is nerfed and people move on to the next thing to bitch about.

Respawn, please nerf Hemlock, it's too strong - killed me many times.

No, I really don't understand this, Ion is literally the counter to Tone and Legion. Vortex shield is how you negate basically anything Tone can do to you at a distance.

Get close to Tone, she's done for.

I don't see why you refuse the appreciate that these Titans aren't supposed to be different skins of each other. They're good in certain situations and fights. It was old Legion who was a little too good and doing well in all of them.

I am not arguing that the Titans don't have defined roles, but that Ion fails at being a counter because the vortex shield drains Ion's energy. At a distance you will need to use laser shot or get lucky with alt fire and up close you will need to use alt fire to out DPSs a Tone or Legion, any decent player will maintain fire till they exhaust Ion's shield and energy.

Keihart

User1: Cloak is nearly impossible for pilots to see despite the fact it's supposed to be for avoiding titans, and even says so in the description

User2: You are incorrect because I say so.

And not being able to equip another skill is the most hilariously non-effortful response imaginable. That applies to literally everything in every game. In TF1, cloak was much more visible than in this. For some reason, the game also allows you to stay cloaked after both shooting and getting shot which makes little sense. I'm not saying remove cloak, I'm saying I think skills should have drawbacks too.

People who think cloak is kind of poorly balanced versus pilots aren't automatically wrong because you disagree. You spent a page earlier in the thread complaining about how bad Ronin's shield is despite the fact that all shields in the game have the same hp.

Cloak is basically a joke compared to phase shift or decoy as stealth tool in movement.
When running, cloak still shows the jets and most of the time pilots moving fast have the advantage. If you can't see cloak most of the time, there is something failing in your side.

You can counter it with the kunais too, so there is a counter right there in the tacticals category.

Izuna

Banned
One thing is nerfed and people move on to the next thing to bitch about.

Man I swear this gun kills in one burst without headshots lmao

I am not arguing that the Titans don't have defined roles, but that Ion fails at being a counter because the vortex shield drains Ion's energy. At a distance you will need to use laser shot or get lucky with alt fire and up close you will need to use alt fire to out DPSs a Tone or Legion, any decent player will maintain fire till they exhaust Ion's shield and energy.

Man I dunno, a good Ion will engage with the shield when he sees tone put up a particle wall and use the shield simply to pass it. Lowering Ion's energy only stops him from using the shoulder laser so a little while (which is powerful af btw).

When Tone is without her Particle Wall and in Mid Range, that's it. Also you should be reacting to Tone's tracker missiles with the shield. It's relatively easy to do so. That kills her damage output outside of needing constant crits.

Also, Ion is really good at peaking out of corners with his laser too. <3

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Cloak is definitely not OP, if anything, Phase Shift is deliciously OP (soooo much fun too).

On certain maps, A-Wall is boss too; need to just pick the setup for the map and go with it.

Stim seems strong all round, although I don't seem to do as well with it vs Phase or Cloak.

Strider

Yo. I'd be fine with that lol

If anything to cut down on rooftop camping on Exoplanet...

That's become my least favorite map actually... At least for attrition (I enjoy it for hardpoint). I'd rather see Crash Site...

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I really like this new way of doing rebalancing, mentioning what is being rebalanced, but not the specific changes.

It feels like a fresh change to be honest
I wonder what they nerfed on Tone and Legion though..haha

I don't know if anyone agrees or not but the flatline assault rifle feels fucking OP. I dominate with this thing. I put Ranger scope on this mofo and went HAM in like 10 matches. Easily worth the 100 credits for the early upgrade.

I play on 200 ms thanks to a bad router.

Alternator is my go to for me. Just run around the match and rack up skills by getting as close as I can.

Newlove

Is there anything to spend currency on other than early unlocks? I want to unlock everything through playing so I've just stacked up 350.

Reebot

Yo. I'd be fine with that lol

If anything to cut down on rooftop camping on Exoplanet...

That's become my least favorite map actually... At least for attrition (I enjoy it for hardpoint). I'd rather see Crash Site...

Exoplanet sucks, way too many sight lines from the tops of the buildings. Assault rifles from the rooftops dominate.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Is there anything to spend currency on other than early unlocks? I want to unlock everything through playing so I've just stacked up 350.

Remember that when you regen, you lose all weapons that weren't previously unlocked with credits....so that's an incentive to get the essential/best ones along the way I reckon.

That is, if you plan on regenerating to G2.

Izuna

Banned
Looking at this gif, lmao at that guy claiming TTK was long in this game.

TTK is kinda...

I think it mostly has to do with people actually speccing for non-automatic weapons for longer ranges now.

In R1, it was R101 or C.A.R. -- and most C.A.R. users would shoot for a while to get their mid-long range kills.

Now, fuck it, pop a Hemlock and roll. It feels nasty how easy it is pop people off from a distance.

Moobabe

Sorry if this has been brought up a million times - but does anyone else lose connection to the MP servers immediately after a match finishes?

I can only play another match if I restart the game.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I don't think they have said anything about that and I honestly doubt it.

Respawn hasn't said flat-out that weapons will be given as free DLC, BUT there's this:

PlayStation LifeStyle: You announced that all maps and modes would be free post-launch. So does that mean weapons, Titans, etc., will be paid DLC?

Drew McCoy: Anything that affects game balance, anything functional, is free. Maps, modes, weapons, anything like that is free. We learned an obvious lesson, but it’s extremely apparent on the last [Titanfall], that when you sell things like maps, you segregate the playerbase in a very unhealthy way. Even though it’s obviously going to leave money on the table, when you buy them, it’s much better for the health of the game and the community to not charge for them.

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net...dlc-anything-affects-balance-functional-free/

Again, not an outright confirmation, but it's almost as good as. Same with Tacticals. I mean, the last one has nothing next to it which just highlights that there's bound to be at least one new one (at least I hope).

--

Those getting burned out playing one class/gun, switch it up. I have almost every anti-Titan gun at level 14+ and most of the guns at least at level 8 (some G2, others close). I mean, my stats suffer, but it's fun experimenting. :D

Reebot

TTK is kinda...

I think it mostly has to do with people actually speccing for non-automatic weapons for longer ranges now.

In R1, it was R101 or C.A.R. -- and most C.A.R. users would shoot for a while to get their mid-long range kills.

Now, fuck it, pop a Hemlock and roll. It feels nasty how easy it is pop people off from a distance.

Well yeah, if you miss its going to inflate the TTK.

Its pretty easy to aim in Titanfall 2 (not a criticism, it keeps the game going fast). If you're competent, or using an assault rifle, you won't be missing.

Health should be increased, just a bit, to incentivize the movement mechanics.

E92 M3

Has anyone ever experienced a glitch with the stat keeping? I know I killed 3 titans (2 with execution) and at the end it said I have 0.

What's going on?

Drewfonse

I'mma have to go with possibly my favorite all time MP/SP combo. I can't think of another game that nailed it for me so hard in both modes. CoD 4? Maybe. But the rose tint is strong with that one.

Cloak is basically a joke compared to phase shift or decoy as stealth tool in movement.
When running, cloak still shows the jets and most of the time pilots moving fast have the advantage. If you can't see cloak most of the time, there is something failing in your side.

You can counter it with the kunais too, so there is a counter right there in the tacticals category.

I actually disagree with this, that isn't to say that I can't see people cloaked, it's just that someone cloaked providing an overwatch over a rooftop or something like that, has a huge advantage against anyone that's moving. I don't really have a problem with this if this is the way Respawn want the game to be played, but someone sat atop a rooftop already has the visual advantage, so I don't see much sense in making them harder to acquire, it just promotes camping and that doesn't seem condusive to the playstyles that the game makes an otherwise deliberate effort to facilitate (mobile, run and gun).

Sure, I can acquire a cloaked target, but is he likely to acquire me faster than I him? Of course. In a game where target acquisition speed is predictive of the outcome of the vast majority of encounters, any element that affects that speed is likely to have a significant influence on the match.

Phase shift isn't all that great. It allows you to escape a bad situation but people can see you use it, and also it doesn't offer any acquisition based advantage when you exit. It's also a super fantastic way to get fucked over by anyone that chooses to use their ability while your in phase shift. A-Wall shield beats phase shift, invisibility beats phase shift, stim, beats phase shift. All of these abilities give the shifter a tremendous surprise when they're on the other side. Going invisible for instance is a huge issue for the person shifting when they're looking for the orange target that they saw before they used their ability. Phase shift is a decent defensive or stealthy ability but I've yet to see anyone that threatening with it when used offensively. In those instances phase shift effectively 'resets' an encounter to a neutral state, but as I say, the opponent can shift the advantage in their favor by using their own ability.

Comparing stealth and phase shift is a bit odd because they really do different things. Stealth does let you sneak by at long distances and definitely affects players ability to easily spot and acquire, particularly at mid-long range. Many of the Attrition matches I play are populated by cloaked rooftop hugging pilots. I want to say that it's the best option for mid-long range firefights, so if you're packing something like the hemlock, it's very potent. Phase shift is used for sneaking behind people, passing through sightlines without being seen, but doesn't have as much utility as something like stim, which can allow you to pass the same sightline before your opponent could even get their sights on it. Still, phase remains the best defensive option as far as giving yourself a 'panic button', goes, I think a lot of people make good use of that.

Unit24

Just got my copy, really excited to play it (even though I probably shouldn't since my hands are still messed up with carpal tunnel).

I can't believe how reminiscent of CoD4 the tutorial is.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I really didn't miss one hit melee kills in CoD and wish they'd go away in this as well.

It's extra funny because pilot executions exist. So you can go into a slow animation that requires you being behind the enemy and completely exposes you or you can do the same thing in an instant from a spring that one shots the enemy and doesn't slow your momentum. IF it's supposed to be a 'styling on them' thing it doesn't make sense because none of the executions are done in that kind of gloat/showoff way. Titan executions make sense because they instant kill anyone in a doomed state. Pilot executions have no reason to exist.

Which means if you want the pilot execution skins, get ready to completely handicap yourself to get them.

Izuna

Banned
It's extra funny because pilot executions exist. So you can go into a slow animation that requires you being behind the enemy and completely exposes you or you can do the same thing in an instant from a spring that one shots the enemy and doesn't slow your momentum. IF it's supposed to be a 'styling on them' thing it doesn't make sense because none of the executions are done in that kind of gloat/showoff way. Titan executions make sense because they instant kill anyone in a doomed state. Pilot executions have no reason to exist.

Which means if you want the pilot execution skins, get ready to completely handicap yourself to get them.

I dunno, executions look pretty rad to me http://i.imgur.com/7EwAVoo.gif

Jabronium

I've really loved the little bit I've gotten to play so far, but I'm absolutely horrible in MP. Coming from Overwatch and Destiny, the TTK feels impossibly short. I'm not going to have much of a chance to play until after Thanksgiving, feels bad man.

RMI

Banned
Cloak is not too strong. After using all the tacticals stim sticks out as the all around best too me, but they're all useful even if I rarely use the knife or grapple.

Right now holo pilot has been working great for me. That thing is perfect for drawing fire and sending out into the open.

Hit G2 on Ronin and he feels strong now. Still just dies in certain situations but is really good at taking pilots out and against an unaware target you can easily unload 2 full clips at close range, separated by a phase dash to reload, and then either execute them if they were on low health or just arc wave them as you back away and regroup. I play with back up battery and the bonus shield makes a huge difference.

Menthuss

How do you hack spectres? I've seen people say you can do it but I'm not getting a prompt when I get close to them. Holding E like in 1 doesn't do anything.

eizarus

Banned
I was worried that the community on this game would take a hit with the new CoD coming out, but there hasn't been a decrease in players on the London server as far as I can tell. Gives me hope that this games gonna stand it's ground up and hopefully sell via word of mouth.

KorrZ

I keep trying other weapons but continually go back to the R201.

It's just so versatile at every range, haven't found a single other weapon that competes for me.

Well yeah, if you miss its going to inflate the TTK.

Its pretty easy to aim in Titanfall 2 (not a criticism, it keeps the game going fast). If you're competent, or using an assault rifle, you won't be missing.

Health should be increased, just a bit, to incentivize the movement mechanics.

This isn't true at all. The horizontal spread on most fully automatics means that the notion that you 'won't be missing', just isn't true. Most weapons force you to miss as horizontal recoil isn't predictive or managable via player adjustment.

The hemlock is just a different beast. A gun of highs and lows. Most targets don't go down in one burst, and the time to kill becomes far greater when you consider the delay between bursts too.

Most players don't stand still, they don't go down in one burst. At long range the weapon straight up doesn't kill people in one burst, and up close the need to ADS restricts your mobility and reduces your time to kill. By the time you ADS, a fully automatic user with the run and gun perk will already be shooting at you.

My GIF from earlier makes it look a lot worse, to be honest.

jdkzcvg.gif

But I'm using amped damage and I catch the headshot. I could have been using just about anything in the game and that guy was dead. The same could be said in Colbalt's GIF, the guy missed him with at least 10 rounds, while he stood almost stationary in a field. It's pretty easy to land the one-burst kill up close like that, if your opponent is willing to stand still.

Not that I care if the game had a higher TTK, or not, but I think at this stage I'd rather things not change. I don't like major changes to balance post-release, and something like a change in player health would unbalance some of the weapons. Fully automatics would be far less affected than burst or semi automatics, for instance, as requiring an extra shot , or burst on those, is a much larger difference to requiring an extra bullet coming from a semi automatic.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I bought this game for the multiplayer and ended up playing through the campaign in two sittings. Was not expecting it to be that amazing. I think it may be my favorite singleplayer experience of the year. Perfect length, too.

Top Bottom