• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Been using the Battery Backup boost quite a bit. Am I crazy or is this thing super good? Getting into every titan with full shields and 20% core (40% on my Overcore Legion) is pretty kewl.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I was worried that the community on this game would take a hit with the new CoD coming out, but there hasn't been a decrease in players on the London server as far as I can tell. Gives me hope that this games gonna stand it's ground up and hopefully sell via word of mouth.

If anything, numbers have picked up a bit since IW dropped.....which I find odd/confusing/delightful all at the same time :)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Why I love Ronin:

yH944Tt.gif

I had a dude trying to grapple hook me as Ronin.

It did not work out well for him.

SkylineRKR

Using Ronin on Drydock and Complex, its easy to catch up to escaping pilots and slice them in half. Got like 3 stray batteries in one go. Grapple is a free kill, and if its from behind I pop smoke. But its also a free battery if you let them finish.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
If anything, numbers have picked up a bit since IW dropped.....which I find odd/confusing/delightful all at the same time :)
Could be people waiting to hear feedback on both before choosing which to get.

Im really hoping it seems well enough to be considered a success, because it really deserves it.

This isn't true at all. The horizontal spread on most fully automatics means that the notion that you 'won't be missing', just isn't true. Most weapons force you to miss as horizontal recoil isn't predictive or managable via player adjustment.

The hemlock is just a different beast. A gun of highs and lows. Most targets don't go down in one burst, and the time to kill becomes far greater when you consider the delay between bursts too.

Most players don't stand still, they don't go down in one burst. At long range the weapon straight up doesn't kill people in one burst, and up close the need to ADS restricts your mobility and reduces your time to kill. By the time you ADS, a fully automatic user with the run and gun perk will already be shooting at you.

My GIF from earlier makes it look a lot worse, to be honest.

jdkzcvg.gif

But I'm using amped damage and I catch the headshot. I could have been using just about anything in the game and that guy was dead. The same could be said in Colbalt's GIF, the guy missed him with at least 10 rounds, while he stood almost stationary in a field. It's pretty easy to land the one-burst kill up close like that, if your opponent is willing to stand still.

Not that I care if the game had a higher TTK, or not, but I think at this stage I'd rather things not change. I don't like major changes to balance post-release, and something like a change in player health would unbalance some of the weapons. Fully automatics would be far less affected than burst or semi automatics, for instance, as requiring an extra shot , or burst on those, is a much larger difference to requiring an extra bullet coming from a semi automatic.

I totally agree. TTK is fine as it is. I was shocked at first, coming from BF1, and I felt I was dying way to fast. Good thing you are back and spawn so fast as it really makes dying a lot as enjoyable as it can be. Part of the reason I was (and presumably others) dying so fast is because I hadn't become comfortable with the movement and was playing like a traditional shooter. Movement is so fast, fluid and fun and you have to master it, to a degree, in order to maximize your potential. It is already becoming a lot harder to take down opponents that are skilled at jumping and wall running around the maps and likewise, I am living a lot longer now that I can traverse these maps somewhat decently.

I am no pro, by any means, but learning the movement and finding a good control scheme goes a long way in this game. If TTK was increased, I feel it would be really hard to kill anyone that has average movement skills and open you up for surprise/cheap feeling kills from the side or back if you decide to chase your targets. Stim, cloak, and phase shift already go a long way to help you get out of sticky situations not to mention that simply jumping and wall running around make it difficult enough to get an easy kill.

Increasing TTK may result in other problems like making a lot of guns less viable. As it is now, all guns are pretty lethal for a wide range of play styles and I use different guns all the time with success. If you are in close combat shotguns and smgs usually win and whomever gets first shot usually comes out on top (as it should be). I hate when you get the drop on someone in other games and they have time to turn around and kill you based on longer TTK or gun balance issues.

This game is all about being quick, carrying that speed and moving. Increasing TTK will probably have negative side effects on those elements

Also, we should play again soon, Chrono...

I bought this game for the multiplayer and ended up playing through the campaign in two sittings. Was not expecting it to be that amazing. I think it may be my favorite singleplayer experience of the year. Perfect length, too.
I beat it in one lol.

It's behind DOOM and Mankind Divided but it's certainly better than any COD I've ever played.

I hope there's a Black Friday Bomba price on this game at like $25 for all platforms. I look forward to all of the after Thanksgiving and Christmas newcomers >=D

Been using the Battery Backup boost quite a bit. Am I crazy or is this thing super good? Getting into every titan with full shields and 20% core (40% on my Overcore Legion) is pretty kewl.

Shhhh.. don't tell everyone how my Ion and scorch does so well against their Tone or Legion
For a Ronin it's almost a necessity

I keep trying other weapons but continually go back to the R201.

It's just so versatile at every range, haven't found a single other weapon that competes for me.
Car is better than the r201 imo. Still has good range while being better up close and laser accurate hipfire.

My god teammates learn how to play hardpoint capture, hold, amp. Not capture run off and fuck around trying to boost your kills well away from the hardpoints. Honestly wish they'd remove kills entirely from the scoreboard on that mode.
Even better than removing kills from the scoreboard is removing the amping of the points.

Whose idea was that? It takes forever to amp a point and it goes against what titanfall is. It should be a fairly quick capture, there's no reason it takes longer to cap a point in titanfall than it does in fucking battlefield.

I really like this new way of doing rebalancing, mentioning what is being rebalanced, but not the specific changes.

It feels like a fresh change to be honest
I wonder what they nerfed on Tone and Legion though..haha
That's silly, why wouldn't they give the full details? The community can eventually figure it out anyway...

Greddleok

I grabbed this over the weekend, only got a few matches in, but damn it's fun. Reminds me of why I loved TF1.

Can't wait to dig into the campaign.

Even better than removing kills from the scoreboard is removing the amping of the points.

Whose idea was that? It takes forever to amp a point and it goes against what titanfall is. It should be a fairly quick capture, there's no reason it takes longer to cap a point in titanfall than it does in fucking battlefield.

I don't mind it to be honest, if you have a good team. It is risk vs reward. You expose yourself longer in hopes to get double points and I have seen some awesome comebacks/upsets based on this mechanic alone. As long as you keep topping the points up, you are only capturing them once and I like the diversity the slower play style offers and unique loadouts you can build to facilitate capturing and holding points. It can get pretty tense double capturing a point and knowing the other team is probably on their way to try and stop you.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Man, I just had one of those insane plays as a pilot. Probably my best I've done. Killed 3 Titans stringing one after the other just by rodeoing, grenade launching and wall running between them. Felt like a god.

Also battery backup is key to surviving with Ronin

Man, I just had one of those insane plays as a pilot. Probably my best I've done. Killed 3 Titans stringing one after the other just by rodeoing, grenade launching and wall running between them. Felt like a god.

Y'all hyping up this extra battery thing so I've got to try it out since I've been using Ronin a lot!

Strider

Hmmm yea that makes sense...

I didn't think about the fact the rest of you playing Ronin would be using battery backup which is a boost I have never equipped. The bonus 20% to core is an obvious benefit especially for Ronin but I actually forget that it gives a shield as well which would be a significant difference for him (which is the main issue I pointed out earlier). I'll have to give that a go for a little bit...

I don't mind it to be honest, if you have a good team. It is risk vs reward. You expose yourself longer in hopes to get double points and I have seen some awesome comebacks/upsets based on this mechanic alone. As long as you keep topping the points up, you are only capturing them once and I like the diversity the slower play style offers and unique loadouts you can build to facilitate capturing and holding points. It can get pretty tense double capturing a point and knowing the other team is probably on their way to try and stop you.
Meh in my mind it's just rewarding camping in a small room and that isn't any fun to me.

This game does a great job of creating "holy Shit" moments. Everyday, I see or accomplish some pretty cool feats and everyone, regardless of skill, will experience their own moments of greatness. it's one of those things that keep me interested in the game as I am constantly experimenting with different titans, perks and loadouts in order to see what kind of craziness I can conjure up next. So many things have made me smash the share button on the DS4 more than any other gave I've played (MGSV is a close second)

Devaluing the game immediately isn't going to help it to do that. Just enjoy the game. You focus way too much on the pop.

I'm not devaluing the game. Are you not familiar with Black Friday pricing in the US? Any game that is released weeks prior to Black Friday is a guaranteed price drop between 40% to 75%. And this is an EA published game that's underperforming, so yeah...

I'm enjoying the game immensely, I just wish there were more players on the other playlists. A huge sale on this from multiple retailers can help with that.

eizarus

Banned
Same. I was worried that things were going to crash pretty badly for the game with the UK sales figures and the way everyone was extrapolating them.

I'm not devaluing the game. Are you not familiar with Black Friday pricing in the US? Any game that is released weeks prior to Black Friday is a guaranteed price drop between 40% to 75%. And this is an EA published game that's underperforming, so yeah...

I'm enjoying the game immensely, I just wish there were more players on the other playlists. A huge sale on this from multiple retailers can help with that.

I don't remember games going to $25 days outside of BOGOs, but I may be mistaken. It just seems a bit low. Anyhow, PC shooters in general, even modern warfare remastered and the new infinite warfare suffer on PC. We'll get NPD soon enough, but until we do, we don't really know how it's performing overall other than the one U.K. source.

That aside, it just seems like every other post of yours since early on is you going on about population. Seem more worried about that than anything. I'm tempted to buy a PC copy just to play with you, so you've got an extra pal! 😜

RMI

Banned
Hmmm yea that makes sense...

I didn't think about the fact the rest of you playing Ronin would be using battery backup which is a boost I have never equipped. The bonus 20% to core is an obvious benefit especially for Ronin but I actually forget that it gives a shield as well which would be a significant difference for him (which is the main issue I pointed out earlier). I'll have to give that a go for a little bit...

The shield bonus is the main thing. I don't usually do much with sword core but the extra survivability is crucial.

E92 M3

I think Ronin was stealth buffed. One dude defended against my whole missile salvo with one bar lol.

Maybe it was lag?

Meh in my mind it's just rewarding camping in a small room and that isn't any fun to me.
usually I set up a sentry and move on to the next point. While I'm waiting, it's a nice change of pace being in a more defensive position and keeps it fresh with all of the other constant aggression focused game modes. Just holding one point does nothing. I am constantly moving between 2 or all points topping them up or recapturing. Calling in titans adds a whole other level of strategy since they can often make it impossible for other teams to recapture or defend points when an whole army of titans are locking down the map.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
phase shift self-implode for ronin is also dum dum dum and i dont see it being something for balance either. it just seems like an unncessary punishment if you get unlucky

This game does a great job of creating "holy Shit" moments. Everyday, I see or accomplish some pretty cool feats and everyone, regardless of skill, will experience their own moments of greatness. it's one of those things that keep me interested in the game as I am constantly experimenting with different titans, perks and loadouts in order to see what kind of craziness I can conjure up next. So many things have made me smash the share button on the DS4 more than any other gave I've played (MGSV is a close second)
Kinda off topic but is there a way to record a video that's already happened or can you only record future things?

I kind of want them to patch in a new game + for story mode where you get all of the stuff at the start

or patch in some modifier modes or arcade mode/speed run mode to increase replayability

Also Frontier Defense would be cool with this upgraded amount of ai types, they could even put in the wildlife as enemies lol

E92 M3

Simple and everyday moments like this make really love this game. Just so smooth.

dz2saTO.gif

And a funny clip of Tone vs Tone:

uwvmxox.gif

Nvidia Shadowplay has this. I think other services do, too.
I was talking about ps4 tho

Also yeah what's up with factions, can you only be on a team with people in the same faction or does everyone see their own faction leader person during the dropship ride?

iddqd

Caved and bought the game, is there any good multiplayer tips video out there?
Im totally overwhelmed with everything.

Mastamind

I was talking about ps4 tho

Also yeah what's up with factions, can you only be on a team with people in the same faction or does everyone see their own faction leader person during the dropship ride?

Everyone sees their own faction leader. I occasionally party with people and can switch my factions between rounds while staying with my group.

On PS4, when you hit share, it captures everything that happened in the last 15 mins.
Huh that's odd. I remember redoing my share button, what it has been for the past few years if if I tap it, it takes a screenshot and if I double tap it (or maybe hold it) it records a video UP TO 15 minutes starting at the time I hit record.

Top Bottom