• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

KodaRuss

Been trying to break my habit of using ADS all the time lately. Switched to the CAR for a little bit and found it works really well.

Honeslty dont think I have played a shooter in a while that didnt force you to use ADS for everything. Is Doom like that?

Other Titans are playable but Tone is significantly easier to play than the rest, I think he just needs a slight reduction in his rate of fire. Moderate buffs to Ronin and Northstar and slight buffs to Scorch and Ion would make the game better.

Strider

Ronin and Tone are my two most played titans and I have no idea how people come to the conclusion Ronin is better at killing pilots over any other Titan. Both of their weapons one hit kill except Tone has more range plus Tone gets to wallhack them so you know exactly where they are going. That pretty much makes Ronin's speed advantage irrelevant when it comes to tracking them down...

Ronin is fun but I def feel he's a little too weak right now. Sword block is pretty terrible compared to other survivability abilities like particle wall, gun/vortex/thermal shield. I'd like to see him get a survivability buff of some sort. The amount of kills/points I can get and survival time in other titans is significantly more than Ronin.

Ronin has some nice tools tho and could get really broken really quick. So we'll see...

I wonder if we'll get stats specific to each Titan when they finally release the stats update.

Izuna

Banned
Ronin is so good at killing pilots there's literally no reason to ever steal a battery from him lol. He can just look behind and melee.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This was what I was originally referring to.

Honestly Tone is not OP at all and it's a shame because these players are too brainless to put any thought into playing as other Titans.

To use cloak (which is easy to see) is to give up a Stim or Sonar knife... No one has complained about cloak since the opening week of R1.

I agree with this.

Tone isn't OP at all. The biggest problem I see with people when they fight Titans is that they are always afraid to run. Running is sometimes the most viable option. Tone can outclass titans at range. I mainly play Ronin so I'm often running from Tones who see me first. I just run around, flank them, and surprise them from the back. Tone is a good titan but he's hardly OP. Ion is also great against him.

Cloak is the most laughable ability in the game. Against an experienced player it's pretty much useless in ground combat. It's only useful in hiding from Titans.

Ronin and Tone are my two most played titans and I have no idea how people come to the conclusion Ronin is better at killing pilots over any other Titan. Both of their weapons one hit kill except Tone has more range plus Tone gets to wallhack them so you know exactly where they are going. That pretty much makes Ronin's speed advantage irrelevant when it comes to tracking them down...

Ronin's sword is excellent at taking out pilots because of its range and attack speed, Leadwall is inconsistent at taking out pilots though

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Nothing. "If X kills me it's OP."

"If I am uncomfortable fighting against this, it's OP."

"I don't like it, so it's OP."

Basically, clutters the airwaves for real problems.

Sounds about right. There's definitely a learning curve for competent Titan play, it's a shame people don't want to take a little time to learn proper tactics.

Nuclear Ejection is not so bad this time around because it can't be combined with autoeject.

Auto eject was a bad choice though if you wanted to maximize the effectiveness of NE, the right way to do it was to exhaust your dashes to position yourself after you were doomed. Survivor was the better choice for the tier 2 kit instead of auto eject then

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
some dude on reddit says something so we must all agree with it?

I get kills with ion, scorch, tone, northstar (haven't really tried legion or ronin much. I'm honestly not seeing a lack of balance. Everything feels good.

people love to complain

It's a discussion on everything that Tone has going on. This has been discussed in this thread prior to this post. It's less about nerfing Tone and more about buffing the others.

Xater

I agree with this.

Tone isn't OP at all. The biggest problem I see with people when they fight Titans is that they are always afraid to run. Running is sometimes the most viable option. Tone can outclass titans at range. I mainly play Ronin so I'm often running from Tones who see me first. I just run around, flank them, and surprise them from the back. Tone is a good titan but he's hardly OP. Ion is also great against him.

Cloak is the most laughable ability in the game. Against an experienced player it's pretty much useless in ground combat. It's only useful in hiding from Titans.

I play a lot of Tone and competent Ronins are actually a great counter. Tone is just helpless at close range.

Gator86

To use cloak (which is easy to see) is to give up a Stim or Sonar knife... No one has complained about cloak since the opening week of R1.

User1: Cloak is nearly impossible for pilots to see despite the fact it's supposed to be for avoiding titans, and even says so in the description

User2: You are incorrect because I say so.

And not being able to equip another skill is the most hilariously non-effortful response imaginable. That applies to literally everything in every game. In TF1, cloak was much more visible than in this. For some reason, the game also allows you to stay cloaked after both shooting and getting shot which makes little sense. I'm not saying remove cloak, I'm saying I think skills should have drawbacks too.

People who think cloak is kind of poorly balanced versus pilots aren't automatically wrong because you disagree. You spent a page earlier in the thread complaining about how bad Ronin's shield is despite the fact that all shields in the game have the same hp.

E92 M3

Other Titans are playable but Tone is significantly easier to play than the rest, I think he just needs a slight reduction in his rate of fire. Moderate buffs to Ronin and Northstar and slight buffs to Scorch and Ion would make the game better.

Buff Ion and Scorch? Have you ever faced a Scorch in his intended fighting environment? You will get destroyed.

I am very good with Scorch btw. He does not need a buff.

User1: Cloak is nearly impossible for pilots to see despite the fact it's supposed to be for avoiding titans, and even says so in the description

And not being able to equip another skill is the most hilariously non-effortful response imaginable. That applies to literally everything in every game. In TF1, cloak was much more visible than in this. For some reason, the game also allows you to stay cloaked after both shooting and getting shot which makes little sense. I'm not saying remove cloak, I'm saying I think skills should have drawbacks too.

People who think cloak is kind of poorly balanced versus pilots aren't automatically wrong because you disagree. You spent a page earlier in the thread complaining about how bad Ronin's shield is despite the fact that all shields in the game have the same hp.

Wrong, just because your graphic settings are messed up doesn't mean it's hard to see.

And I'm legally blind.

Izuna

Banned
BTW guys I am scum and use Nuclear Eject to take out Bounty Titans.

;)

also lol at buffing Ion, low-key the best Titan in the game

I think you're blind. Rarely does a Pilot kill me BECAUSE he was cloaked.

Drewfonse

What's the level cap before you hit a new Gen, 30? Do they give you an option to buy stuff beforehand, or do you automatically Gen up?

Auto eject was a bad choice though if you wanted to maximize the effectiveness of NE, the right way to do it was to exhaust your dashes to position yourself after you were doomed. Survivor was the better choice for the tier 2 kit instead of auto eject then

I can see that for the player pulling off NE, though I would usually die to the NE+autoeject combo. Either I would be in a position where I was stuck or would try to pull off a melee attack and not have time to get away.

Strider

What's the level cap before you hit a new Gen, 30? Do they give you an option to buy stuff beforehand, or do you automatically Gen up?

You don't automatically regen but your merits don't disappear when you regen either... So regen then buy what you want.

ant_

Ronin is fun but I def feel he's a little too weak right now. Sword block is pretty terrible compared to other survivability abilities like particle wall, gun/vortex/thermal shield. I'd like to see him get a survivability buff of some sort. The amount of kills/points I can get and survival time in other titans is significantly more than Ronin.

Ronin has some nice tools tho and could get really broken really quick. So we'll see...

I wonder if we'll get stats specific to each Titan when they finally release the stats update.

Ronin shines at killing pilots because of his sword. It's the best tool in the game for killing pilots, it's absolutely insane. His gun is good but more for medium-range encounters.

Ronin's sword block is fine. If he had a better block mechanism he'd be WAY too powerful. His defensiveness comes in his maneuverability & phase shift. Basically, you shouldn't be engaging a titan that sees you first as Ronin. His sword block is only used by me when I'm backing up to disengage & run.

Ronin is faster than any other Titan. He has the advantage of being able to choose his engagements.

I play a lot of Tone and competent Ronins are actually a great counter. Tone is just helpless at close range.

I agree. Ronin/Tone is an interesting matchup because it depends on engagement range & who starts the fight. I often have to pop electric smoke against Tones to win the fight (stops the missile lock on)

Gator86

Nothing. "If X kills me it's OP."

"If I am uncomfortable fighting against this, it's OP."

"I don't like it, so it's OP."

Basically, clutters the airwaves for real problems.

Also, a complete fallacy. Not every balance comment is because someone died to something. I was arguing Tone needed nerfs because using her felt ridiculously unchallenging. I ran into a team of 6 cloak users in Attrition yesterday and hung 200 on them. You can think something needs tweaks without also being completely defenseless against it.

Strider

Ronin shines at killing pilots because of his sword. It's the best tool in the game for killing pilots, it's absolutely insane. His gun is good but more for medium-range encounters.

Ronin's sword block is fine. If he had a better block mechanism he'd be WAY too powerful. His defensiveness comes in his maneuverability & phase shift. Basically, you shouldn't be engaging a titan that sees you first as Ronin. His sword block is only used by me when I'm backing up to disengage & run.

Ronin is faster than any other Titan. He has the advantage of being able to choose his engagements.

Yes... I know all of these things... And I still feel he's a little weak. As far as survivability boost goes I don't necessarily think that's where the buff should be. I'm aware he has good tools and can get broken quick which I pointed out in my post.

As far as the sword goes I just never approach a Ronin on my own. Anti-titan weapon from a distance or nothing. He is literally harmless to me.

Izuna

Banned
Yes... I know all of these things... And I still feel he's a little weak.

As far as the sword goes I just never approach a Ronin on my own. Anti-titan weapon from a distance or nothing. He is literally harmless to me.

If you play PC or Xbox I'd like to 1v1 you and prove you wrong here. Ronin is dope. It's all about timing his Sword Core (which imo should automatically execution even if you use RT but whatever).

If you play a bit of FFA you'll see try hards preferring Ronin, especially on maps like Complex where he can basically melee the whole map.

Gator86

Buff Ion and Scorch? Have you ever faced a Scorch in his intended fighting environment? You will get destroyed.

Wrong, just because your graphic settings are messed up doesn't mean it's hard to see.

And I'm legally blind.

Sure, the response is clearly that I am blind and using a broken tv, despite having perfect vision and a calibrated television. Sounds legit.

Izuna

Banned
Sure, the response is clearly that I am blind and using a broken tv, despite having perfect vision and a calibrated television. Sounds legit.

I don't have perfect vision and I have no problem.

So I don't know what to say.

The good thing is, Repawn knows this, so it'll never get nerfed.

Anybody good with the double take? I can always get the drop on an enemy with a first shot, but finishing with the 2nd is pretty difficult, especially with its slow rate of fire.

Strider

If you play PC or Xbox I'd like to 1v1 you and prove you wrong here. Ronin is dope. It's all about timing his Sword Core (which imo should automatically execution even if you use RT but whatever).

Yes of course... because 1v1 titans accurately depicts an actual match.... And I'm on PS4 anyway

Also there's other variables such as the skill of the players involved. To act like such an encounter would actually be revelant to a real game is.....

Jito

Banned

Seriously? Cloak is a shit tier ability along with the grapple, its so easy to see and it's always funny finding someone hiding in a corner thinking they're invisible with it on. Its even easy to see as a titan, just look for the boost flames.

My slight buff to scorch would be to slightly increase the velocity of his thermite nade and flatten out the acr of his shot slightly to give him a bit more range. Ion's splitter cannon is kinda garbage, maybe a slight decrease in the amount of energy consumed by the alt fire.

Izuna

Banned
Yes of course... because 1v1 titans accurately depicts an actual match....

Also there's other variables such as the skill of the players involved. To act like such an encounter would actually be revelant to a real game is.....

Outside of a 1v1, like say, if Ronin gets the jump on a Titan who is distracted, it's game over for that Titan. So I'm unsure why you'd take Ronin out of his worse scenario then still claim he's useless.

But for real I'd like him to have Shotty ammo in Sword Core.

ant_

Yes... I know all of these things... And I still feel he's a little weak. As far as survivability boost goes I don't necessarily think that's where the buff should be. I'm aware he has good tools and can get broken quick which I pointed out in my post.

Ronin can close the distance from across the map on a pilot. You can't stay far away from a Ronin if he sees you. Tapping boost + phase shift is such a huge gap closer.

Strider

Outside of a 1v1, like say, if Ronin gets the jump on a Titan who is distracted, it's game over for that Titan. So I'm unsure why you'd take Ronin out of his worse scenario then still claim he's useless.

But for real I'd like him to have Shotty ammo in Sword Core.

Because in a real game setting up 1v1 scenarios vs oither Titans is a different story... I never approach without flanking with Ronin but in the event I have to flee his health is low enough (and sword block not deflecting all damage) that even in your escape you take a decent amount of damage.

That matters in the long run...

Izuna

Banned
My slight buff to scorch would be to slightly increase the velocity of his thermite nade and flatten out the acr of his shot slightly to give him a bit more range. Ion's splitter cannon is kinda garbage, maybe a slight decrease in the amount of energy consumed by the alt fire.

Ion has a hitscan instant pilot killing laser that does about 1/6 of a Titan's health on a crit... And he gets two of them (unless you ADS or use a trip mine without the kit).

He also has a shield that returns fire, the only one in the game, that can leave a Tone defenceless if he collects the rockets and dashes past the particle wall.

As for Scorch... his arc is fine. He shouldn't have an easier time Goosing pilots and personally, I find it very easy to kill pilots with his Thermite Launcher. He's not even for that anyway, he's there to hold down certain lanes.

MGrant

I'm actually kind of digging playing with Assault Chip Northstar. 90% of the time I stay on foot and put her in Guard Mode at a nice vantagepoint where she can attack AIs and enemies while I cover her back or go battery hunting. If I need to move her, I can, but she is actually surprisingly accurate with her railgun, so I can just kind of set her down to clean up and annoy, and if she gets blown up, no biggie, I got Thunderbolt to get her back fast. Set up a titan turret nearby and she's an absolute pest.

Strider

Ronin can close the distance from across the map on a pilot. You can't stay far away from a Ronin if he sees you. Tapping boost + phase shift is such a huge gap closer.

Yes but they go into a building and then....?

the reason Sonar is so good is because you know where they go in and when/where they leave. It's very easy to maneuver through buildings to escape a Ronin as a Ronin will just lose the ability to track you.

Scorch and then Ronin are the easiest two titans to really escape from IMO. The others have some form of tracking or a reliable way to kill you from range.

Izuna

Banned
Because in a real game setting up 1v1 scenarios vs oither Titans is a different story... I never approach without flanking with Ronin but in the event I have to flee his health is low enough (and sword block not deflecting all damage) that even in your escape you take a decent amount of damage.

That matters in the long run...

I hope you know that Ronin can block damage even if it's behind him.

But if you're flanking an enemy, then you shouldn't need to run away. You should be able to take out a Titan if there's just one other.

the reason Sonar is so good is because you know where they go in and when/where they leave. It's very easy to maneuver through buildings to escape a Ronin as a Ronin will just lose the ability to track you.

I mean, if we're talking about Attrition, just forget about that Pilot then. If it's Bounty Hunt, Tone is nowhere near the best at dealing with ground troops. That's either Legion, Scorch, or Ronin specifically.

E92 M3

No, I'm blind and can see them perfectly well. So, it's something on you.

I can work with increased velocity ;0

ant_

They go in a building and then you just walk away. If I've lost a pilot I don't waste my time with that shit. I go find another person to kill.

Strider

They go in a building and then you just walk away. If I've lost a pilot I don't waste my time with that shit. I go find another person to kill.

that's my whole point tho lol You end up just leaving because you can't kill me

That's why I'm pointing out he's overrated inthe killing pilots dept.

It's just so easy to stay out of sword range even if he's trying to close the gap on you.

ant_

that's my whole point tho lol You end up just leaving because you can't kill me

That's why I'm pointing out he's overrated inthe killing pilots dept.

Every Titan besides perhaps Scorch (?) has this problem.

Strider

And that painted Pilot by Tone can just chill where the blast can't get him.

Well in these cases I just hop out of my titan and kill him because he's wall hacked (which as has been pointed out by many people, is dumb)

--

We;ve gotten away fromthe true point tho.

My primary point being there are titans that can kill you from a veriety of ranges without issue if you don't take immediate cover. I used Tone as an example because along with Ronin, that's my most played titan.

Ronin is not one of those titans. Therefore I feel hje is overrated in that department.

Plasma

Banned
My god teammates learn how to play hardpoint capture, hold, amp. Not capture run off and fuck around trying to boost your kills well away from the hardpoints. Honestly wish they'd remove kills entirely from the scoreboard on that mode.

Izuna

Banned
Well in these cases I just hop out of my titan and kill him because he's wall hacked (which as has been pointed out by many people, is dumb)

Yeah, that's not a good idea. What game mode would you ever do this in? Just go somewhere else can see if you can't get the jump on another Titan. If there aren't any, so you feel you don't need to help your teammates, then wait for one to drop.

Thing is, Ronin is best at getting around so...

Ion has a hitscan instant pilot killing laser that does about 1/6 of a Titan's health on a crit... And he gets two of them (unless you ADS or use a trip mine without the kit).

He also has a shield that returns fire, the only one in the game, that can leave a Tone defenceless if he collects the rockets and dashes past the particle wall.

As for Scorch... his arc is fine. He shouldn't have an easier time Goosing pilots and personally, I find it very easy to kill pilots with his Thermite Launcher. He's not even for that anyway, he's there to hold down certain lanes.

If you use vortex shield to charge a Tone you will get wasted by any decent player because you are going burn through your energy thus making you under perform in terms of DPS. I said slight buff for a reason, to put him on more of an even heel with Tone and Legion. Scorch could have a bit more ability when it comes to long range encounters, would make it so he has a bit better of a chance of closing the gap on offense or so he can possibly land a hit before seeking cover on defense.

Top Bottom