• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

soultron

Banned
It's amazing this is an actual post. "Once Respawn figures out how to get every game type on the mode selection screen." I can't believe someone was paid to work on the menus and UI for this game. Just embarrassing.

One of their producers has admitted it's an issue and they're working to address it;

“We have some modes we knew weren't going to be as popular as others, but we've been bit by our UI more than I was expecting,” McCoy said. “When you go to find a match there are eight tiles of different game modes you can matchmake in, but there's a second screen with a few more modes, and no one is going to those because the UI design was not obvious enough. We're working on fixing that.”
Source: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/titanfall-2-is-not-a-failure

I work in games and there are some things you think will work well, but you don't realize that you're wrong (or just how wrong you were) until things go live with a huge player population. Then you change it, if you're able to do post-launch support.

Gator86

The problem is the awful maps, they favor Tone. Tone is the easiest of Titans to use, and amazing range fighter. With how lane heavy the maps are or they are giant open areas, the ranged Titans have a significant advantage. Titans like Scorch and Ronin are at disadvantage cause of the shitty map designs.

These titans would be alot more balanced if the maps were like the ones in TF1

I'm always confused by the theory-crafting with Tone. She's the second fastest titan, has near unlimited range with her weapons, and has permanent wall hack. How the fuck are you getting ambushed or stuck in close range fights so much? All of Scorch's attacks bounce right off her shield and he has only one real ranged attack if she spaces him. If you're playing Tone and a Scorch actually manages to flame shield you, just uninstall your game. Same with Ion. Just unload at range while they shield and eventually the shield runs out, does little return damage at range, and now Ion has no energy. Chances are, his return volley and initial attack didn't even make it through the shield. If they did, just disengage and wall hack so you can flank him or escape.

I'm always confused by the theory-crafting with Tone. She's the second fastest titan, has near unlimited range with her weapons, and has permanent wall hack. How the fuck are you getting ambushed or stuck in close range fights so much? All of Scorch's attacks bounce right off her shield and he has only one real ranged attack if she spaces him. If you're playing Tone and a Scorch actually manages to flame shield you, just uninstall your game. Same with Ion. Just unload at range while they shield and eventually the shield runs out, does little return damage at range, and now Ion has no energy. Chances are, his return volley and initial attack didn't even make it through the shield. If they did, just disengage and wall hack so you can flank him or escape.
That's all 1v1. Rarely is it that simple especially when a few good pilots can mess with you even when it's 1v1. Not all titans are meant to go head to head. Some have support roles

JaMarco

I just realized Respawn is probably never going to make Skirmish it's own playlist. They've had that Ground War philosophy nonsense since CoD4 :/

E92 M3

The problem is the awful maps, they favor Tone. Tone is the easiest of Titans to use, and amazing range fighter. With how lane heavy the maps are or they are giant open areas, the ranged Titans have a significant advantage. Titans like Scorch and Ronin are at disadvantage cause of the shitty map designs.

These titans would be alot more balanced if the maps were like the ones in TF1

Maps are rather disappointing compared to the first game, but with Angel city coming soon, I am hyped.

Yeah, i was hoping you were on ps4. I play with a few from ps4 gaf and i have convinced enough friends to buy this game so it's never lonely

Yeah, we all need to do our part and sell this game. EA fucked up with their release schedule, but I think R2 has serious legs via word-of-mouth.

Yeah, I mean at a certain point Attrition is Titanfall multiplayer. It's the mode with the AI (which is a distinct, unique feature that I personally dig a lot) and as you say it's the most accessible mode to play solo.

I played a lot of the first game and I'm going to play a lot of this one, and for me Titanfall has never really been about objective modes. I've had some fun with Bounty Hunt and Amped Hardpoint but eventually the player base is going to centralise very heavily around Attrition.

I enjoyed hardpoint in the original, but the amped thing isn't doing it for me. Attrition is the perfect balance of quick games with constant action.

Lots of exaggeration there lol.

dankir

Then this clip is definitely for you lmao.

I honestly think Tone should knock down a titan via the flying knee and then stand over them and fire rockets at them until they blow up for the melee kill.

Seeing that pilots have selected Melee Kill options, I'm 1000% sure we'll have choices for Titan Kill animations as well.

E92 M3

I honestly think Tone should knock down a titan via the flying knee and then stand over them and fire rockets at them until they blow up for the melee kill.

Seeing that pilots have selected Melee Kill options, I'm 1000% sure we'll have choices for Titan Kill animations as well.

Tone with the Tiger Knee? I will fucking take it! My favorite execution is Legion, though. It's so badass.

Gator86

That's all 1v1. Rarely is it that simple especially when a few good pilots can mess with you even when it's 1v1

Yeah, but that's generally what people argue when they talk about her kit. Real situations are not always that clean, but they often are. You know how many titans are on the field, you can see your teammates' positions on the minimap, the maps are designed around specific lanes you can lock down, etc. When I die as Tone it's usually because I totally fuck up or a teammate does something inexplicable and I'm suddenly completely cornered and outnumbered.

Damn, just stop it. Seems like people wanna nerf everything that can be easier to play with. Why? Tone is not OP, no point of nerfing it.

They already adjusted Tone down a bit, and I'm liking what's been done. It really seems like LTS that there are multiple ways to victory with different load outs.

every time I set foot in that one it's just an organized team pubstomping with turret bullshit. Maybe just unlucky.

I never use turrets and I'm usually at the top of my team. I play the objective and kill (or try to) anyone I see. I'm getting much more used to the twitch shooting as well. I don't mind sniper rifles in this game either.

Also, I still think one of the best and biggest changes the game has from the first is making the smart pistol an unlock instead of a normal secondary.

Reebot

Yeah, she definitely has no downsides. He pilot sniping abilities seem better than northstar's , her shild is great and sonar is useful for all. She isnt op but most of the other titans have some sort of glaring weakness. Maybe jack of all trades kinda thing? I like the Ryu comparison

Its fine to have a "Ryu" titan (although I think its fairly clear Respawn thought Ion would take that spot).

Tone isn't really the Ryu though - her kit is amazing but not necessarily the most intuitive. Its more that Tone excels in offense, defense, and building meter. She's the best, or close to it, as everything.

Again, I think the answer isn't nerfing Tone's damage or anything, but cycling particle wall to another titan and then generally boosting the others (Legion and Ion are fine as is).

Ion is my still my jam because popping pilots with the laser is too good

Also the terrible maps are "mid-range titan fights" incarnate, which is Tone's jam.

EL CUCO

I kinda like Amped simply because it plays different from the other modes. I mosly play Mixtape and usually move around alot and like to go fast, but when I'm in Amped I can chill and take it easy on B lol

JaMarco

Why are the plasma projectiles in this game slower than bullets? Plasma travels the speed of light, those projectiles should be hitscan if anything.

Its fine to have a "Ryu" titan (although I think its fairly clear Respawn thought Ion would take that spot).

Tone isn't really the Ryu though - her kit is amazing but not necessarily the most intuitive. Its more that Tone excels in offense, defense, and building meter. She's the best, or close to it, as everything.

Again, I think the answer isn't nerfing Tone's damage or anything, but cycling particle wall to another titan and then generally boosting the others (Legion and Ion are fine as is).

Also the terrible maps are "mid-range titan fights" incarnate, which is Tone's jam.
I have to practice with the laser. I think i suck at using it. For some reason I always default to the splitter when going after pilots and it's not great in that role

Gator86

Why are the plasma projectiles in this game slower than bullets? Plasma travels the speed of light, those projectiles should be hitscan if anything.

It's definitely a deterrent to using those weapons. They're also a bright flashing sign that says "murder me." I'd be way more interested in using something like the L star if it didn't have the travel time.

I'm still not sure of what my favourite Titan loadout in the campaign was. That's not common for me in games, either, as I usually find one and stick with it.

What were yours?

XaosWolf

I either suck at this game or I'm being lumped in with every other rank/level.

I can hold my own in Overwatch but in Titanfall I walk a spray of bullets up an enemy pilot's body and do no damage.

Also fuck wallhack abilities. It's up the entire match match.

E92 M3

I either suck at this game or I'm being lumped in with every other rank/level.

I can hold my own in Overwatch but in Titanfall I walk a spray of bullets up an enemy pilot's body and do no damage.

Also fuck wallhack abilities. It's up the entire match match.

Overwatch is very slow compared to Titanfall. You can't play it the same way. What gun are you using?

Pretty surprised the campaign never made use of the grappling hook

They said they tried but it just broke it, basically. I prefer all the other mechanics they stuffed in there anyway.

Also, echoing that Tone does not need a nerf. She's easy to deal with if you know how to play against her, i.e. don't keep standing in front of her when she drops her shield.

XaosWolf

Overwatch is very slow compared to Titanfall. You can't play it the same way. What gun are you using?

R201 L4, Charge Rifle L2 (which seems like it tickles things)

Got the Stim Pack, Ticks, and Legion.

Only Level 6 but I'm getting my ass kicked hard 90% of the time. Is there any skill based matchmaking in TF?

soultron

Banned
Pretty surprised the campaign never made use of the grappling hook

That would've made things a bit more difficult to design for, I'm sure -- especially if it was able to be used everywhere. On the other hand, if they focused one chapter around it specifically, I think they'd be able to pull it off really well.

Far Cry 4 & Primal, for example, limits where the player can use the grappling hook by placing points in the world where it can be used -- it can't be aimed and used freely like the TF2 MP grappling hook.

E92 M3

Only Level 6 but I'm getting my ass kicked hard 90% of the time. Is there any skill based matchmaking in TF?

It's all connection based, skill based matchmaking ruins games with limited populations. You don't want that. You will get better with practice, but you just need to play a bit. I wouldn't use Ticks. Go with amped weapons for now. It will be extra help. Do you like to play slower or run and gun?

deoee

Also don't forget, you nearly never fight 1on1 in titans. If you try to flank a Tone, there's a high chance of running into another Titan

XaosWolf

It's all connection based, skill based matchmaking ruins games with limited populations. You don't want that. You will get better with practice, but you just need to play a bit. I wouldn't use Ticks. Go with amped weapons for now. It will be extra help. Do you like to play slower or run and gun?

In most games I usually pick the sneaky asshole route.

When I try taking the defensive route I generally get killed shortly after killing someone. Usually by the guy I just killed. (The spawning is weird in this game)

Raptor

This game gunplay feedback designer or the devs that worked on this gunplay feedback should get a raise or something.

Best of its kind, second to none.

inthrall

I recommend starting out with the "R-201 Carbine" as primary, and the mag launcher as secondary. Once you unlock the perk for faster ADS on the carbine, you should be able to win any non-shotgun range fight if you ADS/see them first). The mag launcher is harder for titans to spot where you are attacking them from, so you can often do more damage with it in exchange for shorter range.

The boost won't make much of a difference from the starting ones as most of the gamechanging ones are unlocked later on, so play with the one you like more.

EDIT: Reminder that YMMV, and these may not suit your playstyle. Trying new weapons will give you more marks -> faster unlocks for more weapons

“We have some modes we knew weren't going to be as popular as others, but we've been bit by our UI more than I was expecting,” McCoy said. “When you go to find a match there are eight tiles of different game modes you can matchmake in, but there's a second screen with a few more modes, and no one is going to those because the UI design was not obvious enough. We're working on fixing that.”

^
Sick, this was honestly my biggest complaint from my first day playing TF2. CTF needs way more love!

RedFury

So what your saying is she's Ken?

E92 M3

Respawn: any word if you guys are looking at the glitch with advocate gifts not being given when unlocked? Many times it said I had one, but there was nothing there.

XaosWolf

I recommend starting out with the "R-201 Carbine" as primary, and the mag launcher as secondary. Once you unlock the perk for faster ADS on the carbine, you should be able to win any non-shotgun range fight if you ADS/see them first). The mag launcher is harder for titans to spot where you are attacking them from, so you can often do more damage with it in exchange for shorter range.

The boost won't make much of a difference from the starting ones as most of the gamechanging ones are unlocked later on, so play with the one you like more.

EDIT: Reminder that YMMV, and these may not suit your playstyle. Trying new weapons will give you more marks -> faster unlocks for more weapons

I do like the R201. Gives that extra bit of range to keep you out of the middle of the warzone.
And I will try out the maglauncher a bit more.

I can't be the worst at the game as I just got top of the team on Bounty Hunt just now.
Gave Legion a boost to use and it kept me away from nuke ejects and suicidal Ronins.

I'll stick with it. Overwatch is still my go-to, but I LOVE the movement for TF.

Just battered and bruised as a newbie.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Bounty Hunt is a ton of fun, and really the only game mode where I feel the objective plays a part in how I tackle encounters. Staying alive is way more important in that game mode than any other, although I haven't tried Capture the Flag.

I'd remove the amped thing from hardpoint. I think it slows the game down too much.
It definitely does because people want to camp the hard point to keep it amped and pick up easy kills from unsuspecting pilots. Makes maps like Exoplanet no fun for the game mode.

Gator86

I only really play Attrition now. I never seem to get sick of it.

I'm almost gen 3 and haven't played anything else really. Don't want to just farm bots in Bounty Hunt and suffer through something like camped hardpoint. Maybe I'll get into LTS at some point.

Moobabe

^
Sick, this was honestly my biggest complaint from my first day playing TF2. CTF needs way more love!

Until I read the post you quoted I had NO IDEA there was another page of modes. Mind blown.

I'm still getting DC every single time a MP round ends, it's a real bummer :(

inthrall

I do like the R201. Gives that extra bit of range to keep you out of the middle of the warzone.
And I will try out the maglauncher a bit more.

I can't be the worst at the game as I just got top of the team on Bounty Hunt just now.
Gave Legion a boost to use and it kept me away from nuke ejects and suicidal Ronins.

I'll stick with it. Overwatch is still my go-to, but I LOVE the movement for TF.

Just battered and bruised as a newbie.

All good, sounds like the Legion is working for you which is good. A piece of advice that may not help is that this game doesn't have defined channels/lanes like Overwatch does, so enemies can and will attack from every side. The best players will be able to predict where people commonly walk through and ambush them accordingly

XaosWolf

All good, sounds like the Legion is working for you which is good. A piece of advice that may not help is that this game doesn't have defined channels/lanes like Overwatch does, so enemies can and will attack from every side. The best players will be able to predict where people commonly walk through and ambush them accordingly

I've been baiting people into buildings and then hanging above the door when they chase me.
Guess I can be a sneaky asshole in this game even without stealth.

X-Frame

Are there any Console streamers or YouTubers who either produce quality gameplay or create tutorials and guides for improving themselves?

I'm okay with PC as well for more general purposes but not sure how much the PC meta differs from Console right now.

Top Bottom