• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Poor guy just couldn't help but pull the trigger on his Archer, haha.

dm2igJd.gif

Archers are really bad against ION. They just give him poweful ammunition to throw at his enemies. You can really screw your team mates over by using them on him. Not that they're useless, hitting him in the back is a decent strategy, but throwing them at his front when he's attacking other Titan's is just going to help ensure your team mates lose the battle with their Titan. Archer rocket launchers deal a great deal of damage and they're easy to see coming, so it's only a matter of tapping the shield and letting them go for an extra bar from an enemy Titan's health.

How big is the player base on PS4 in Europe? Considering if I should get this for PS4 Pro or PC. I read a few pages back that on PC there are around 7000 players at peak time, so trying to see how it compares to PS4 and which version will have more longevity.

20k and up at peak.

Not sure how many in EU specifically, but in the London data centre alone there are a few thousand regularly across the various modes.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yes. The founder of the Network sets the Happy Hour.

I'm in ADV and the Happy Hour was 8 am, which was already too early, then Daylight Savings Time ended and it's now at 7 am.

Does the network limit your pool of players, or affect your connection at all?

KodaRuss

When people leave Last Titan Standing, it really should stop after the end of the next round. I was completely dominating the other team, then two people on my team left the game, so it ended up being 5 vs 3 for like 4 rounds after that. There's no way for any team to win in that scenario.

I think the game has been pretty good about replacing people when they do leave though buy I agree. You have no chance when you are down a Titan unless the other team is just awful (which has happened to me before)...

soultron

Banned
My main issue with Amped Hardpoint is that it just feels way too long to get the bonus from Amping. Destiny's Control game type is the sweet spot in terms of capture times, IMO. It's fast enough that if you're a solo player trying to capture it's quick, but if you have another player there, it goes so fast that you're back in the action even faster. I think it takes 3 players under 3 seconds to neutralize a Control Point and then another 3s to fully capture it? Destiny is a game where players move slower, and on smaller maps, sure, but it feels like maintaining player movement is a focus in TF2 -- something that's at odds with the moment-to-moment gameplay in Amped Hardpoint.

I think that, if it's not already been done since release, it might be worth lowering the base time value required to cap to see how people respond. The multiplier/ramp for capping with >2 players might work just fine as-is if the base capture speed is increased. All this being said, I'm not sure how this would impact score limit required for a win or max round time.

IMO, the cooldown/deterioration time on an unguarded Amped Hardpoint feels fine as-is. I worry that if it was lowered, you might have players feel like they need to guard constantly, and maintain position at the Hardpoint.

TL;DR: slowing down and feeling like you're being leashed-in to one small area in TF2's MP doesn't feel fun. If I can make a sizable deposit at the Bank in BH in less than the time required to Amp a HP in AHP, that definitely feels "off" to me.

Also, a pet peeve -- why are the (top-down) boundaries of the Hardpoint's capture volume not marked on the RADAR? As someone who plays a lot of CSGO, it's a minor annoyance when can't see (from a distance) when I'm (about to be) within the volume required to contribute to an objective.

tesqui

I bet the AI being dropped into multiplayer feel like Gordon Freeman when he has to deal with those ninja assassin guys in HL1

E92 M3

just had this, never died too

2 of them quit before evac lol

also the mastiff damage drop-off is silly, it goes from 1 shotting to being a pea shooter within a few feet

Nice, it feels good man.

--

Do we have any word if matches joined in progress don't count like in the first one?

Kade

It's really crazy getting two Anti-Pilot Turrets and putting them on a roof or in a room together. Had a really funny Pilots vs Pilots match on Eden where I held a part of the map near the enemy spawn on my own with two turrets.

deoee

Can the shields block the Nuclear Ejection?

Sometimes I'm in the enemies Titans face and when I eject nothing seems to happen :(

Menitta

Can the shields block the Nuclear Ejection?

Sometimes I'm in the enemies Titans face and when I eject nothing seems to happen :(

I'm convinced it doesn't. I always take a lot of damage regardless. I know for a fact the dome shield when you spawn a titan doesn't protect pilots.

My main issue with Amped Hardpoint is that it just feels way too long to get the bonus from Amping. Destiny's Control game type is the sweet spot in terms of capture times, IMO. It's fast enough that if you're a solo player trying to capture it's quick, but if you have another player there, it goes so fast that you're back in the action even faster. I think it takes 3 players under 3 seconds to neutralize a Control Point and then another 3s to fully capture it? Destiny is a game where players move slower, and on smaller maps, sure, but it feels like maintaining player movement is a focus in TF2 -- something that's at odds with the moment-to-moment gameplay in Amped Hardpoint.

I think that, if it's not already been done since release, it might be worth lowering the base time value required to cap to see how people respond. The multiplier/ramp for capping with >2 players might work just fine as-is if the base capture speed is increased. All this being said, I'm not sure how this would impact score limit required for a win or max round time.

IMO, the cooldown/deterioration time on an unguarded Amped Hardpoint feels fine as-is. I worry that if it was lowered, you might have players feel like they need to guard constantly, and maintain position at the Hardpoint.

TL;DR: slowing down and feeling like you're being leashed-in to one small area in TF2's MP doesn't feel fun. If I can make a sizable deposit at the Bank in BH in less than the time required to Amp a HP in AHP, that definitely feels "off" to me.

Also, a pet peeve -- why are the (top-down) boundaries of the Hardpoint's capture volume not marked on the RADAR? As someone who plays a lot of CSGO, it's a minor annoyance when can't see (from a distance) when I'm within the volume required to contribute to an objective.

Personally I feel as though the way it works now is largely fine but the issue is that amping the rear points, A or C, is usually a dull affair.

I figure that the incentive to have the amping feature is to force recurent direct contol of the objective. Instead of being able to cap it once then take an overwatch position, some of your team have to actively defend it from the point itself, the issue with this is that it doesn't make much sense at A or C. Having someone that has to run back to your rear point only to Amp it for the times 2 bonus isn't very interesting, it's not very fun for them, as nothing tends to happen there most of the time, and it takes focus from B.

I think the one that your spawning at should not be able to be amped then B should require to be Amped. I don't have a problem with the time required to Amp B, because it just encourages staying on the point, and even if you can't stay on long enough, it's not as though you're losing it, so it's a risk / reward mechanic there, in a way, where you can chose to keep it amped but keep yourself in the firing line, or just settle for the regular cap. It's amping the rear points that seems like a waste of time, to me.

I think this would also help refocus the game a little. One annoying mechanic about all of these types of modes is spawn displacement. Many players feel that the objective is 'cap the points' so they will do that as frequently as possible, even if it means capping C when you already hold A. The issue with this is that the spawns get flipped, you lose A and you potentially lose your control of the map. Over extending with aggressive captures can be detrimental, and yet it keeps happening because the game rewards you for making the cap. If only B were Ampable, then the game would be refocused towards its centre a little more, with less meaningless plays that achieve nothing other than flipping the spawns.

No Love

Banned
It's all I use. When used well, you're nigh unkillable. Along with the movement system, you can mount incredibly aggressive attacks on titans by yourself.

I 1v1 Titans with Phase Shift and leave them spinning. It's really good if you have buildings nearby and can reappear from different angles. Maglauncher + Phase Shift makes life hell for Titans.

My favorite is when a Ronin is about to melee me, Phase Shift through him and nail him from the back with the maglauncher.

my new bounty hunt record:

I couldn't believe how incompetant the rest of the team was. We needed 80$ and no one on my team deposited their bonus in an entire bank event. I had to deal 80$ in damage on a titan to barely beat the other team by 75$

Glad to be playing this while listening to the election results. Not sure I could stomach watching them alone.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Knowing the devs do check in. Any chance or consideration of ever getting cloaks or capes as cosmetic DLC for the Titans? Would love to be sporting a Ronin with a a bullet ridden cloak swinging in the wind.

FactoryofLies

Neo Member
Just wanted to say this game is amazing but the maps are really lacking compared to all the great maps in TF1. Crash site is such a terrible map. Take it out and replace is with any TF 1 map.

I am a little confused on how to rank up faster. I know using different weapons gets you merits faster to rank up faster, however, when I get into Gen 2 for a weapon does it then rank up slower than it did for Gen 1?

KodaRuss

I wish Respawn would do some events or double XP weekends or something. Preferably this weekend because the wife and kiddo are out of town and I can play all day Saturday.

Djostikk

So when enemy rodeos my Titan he can take the battery, but if friendly pilot jumps on there is no battery and he can install new one. How does that work?

JaMarco

The battery system is pretty cool. I still would have probably tired to keep rechargeable shields and have the battery control that. But I can understand why they felt it would be too overpowered.

There are 14000 online right now, it was around 25000 on the weekend I think. So, definitely higher than PC.

I'm in NA though, so I don't know if that's all it's counting, or if that's a global total. I believe it's total.

20k and up at peak.

Not sure how many in EU specifically, but in the London data centre alone there are a few thousand regularly across the various modes.

Thanks for useful info. I'm leaning towards PS4 version.

T-0800

Not sure what I think of this game yet. Campaign has been a pleasant surprise for the hour I've played it but MP is grabbing me. The levels I've seen so far are all drab and boring looking.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Your analysis in this and other threads is better thought out than the ones in any of those articles.

Thanks! I've never hidden the fact that I work as a games media person (games journalist) for a few years now, and I admit, some of the stuff I talk about are from my own private conversations with developers, etc. :)

Apparently the game was out of stock on amazon (it's currently in stock for Xbox and PC), that is anecdotal evidence that it can't be doing that bad.

Yep. Of course, some will and can spin this as a negative.

---

Guys, I have no idea how you are all in Gen 3 already! I'm Gen2.11 now and I've been playing everyday (not a lot, but even so). :D

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Been trying some different weapons and loadouts now. The Thunderbolt anti-titan weapon grew on me a bit though I still prefer the others, it actually builds your titan super fast and you can just lob it into a mess of AI/Pilots/Titans, especially through A-wall and just rack up a bunch of damage ticks.

Phase Shift is really good for Pilots, mainly the fact you have two uses of it for whatever reason. Shotty + shift is really damn fun.

Boost wise I'm actually seeing a lot of powerful ones. My friend uses extra Battery and you really do feel the extra survivability with it, ontop of building your core and their titan meter. I even used Smart Pistol a bit and misunderstood how it worked, you DO still have your secondary, you only lose it when you actually activate the pistol itself. I thought you would ditch it all game which would be awful in later stages vs. Titans and Reapers but it still does a good job of racking up AI kills early on, and later you can just not pop it and keep the anti-titan weapon.

I think i'm 2.45 now or something. Should hit gen 3 today.

Top Bottom