• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Keihart

Ronin's core ability should be renamed to 'please execute me'. What's weird is how often I see teammates backpedaling and shooting a core-active but doomed Ronin.

Tried out Volt last night and can see why it's so common/overused. Just a really easy to use gun and very strong. I still can't quite wrap my head around proper use of phase shift but it seemed to be pretty effective with that gun. I mostly used phase shift to sneak from my titan into the bounty bank and out again safely. Won handily but it was a feel-good match where people were actually chatting across both sides about the game, I had to go but I think they formed a party. It was nice.

That's my favorite combo on most situations. Phase Shift+Volt+Fire Shuriken+low profile+phase embark, i also like to have run and gun on my volt.

Strider

The real question is.... Do I double dip for the Xbox version with these sales coming up?
thinking.gif

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Started uses Scorch, easily my favorite Titan. Which Scorch kit are you guys using? I'm using the dash for my Titan kit.

Man, i really love this game. I was digging BF1 but I haven't touched it since this came out.

Inferno Shiled for the scorch kit is really powerful in close quarters against anyone, I use that exclusively now.

Btw was it just me or were the menus really slow on ps4. Like picking camos skins etc? It was taking several seconds for me.

After upgrading to ps4 pro everything loads nearly instantly. All the MP load out menus are snappy fast now. Was my ps4 install just borked? Or is this an actual ps4pro improvement?

Not knocking your skills but you were playing against some pretty bad players. The first person in the video literally sat there and didn't do anything and the others weren't much better.

There aren't that many good players because there aren't that many people playing on PC!

:(

But yeah, I pick my fights with Ronin. All about sneaking around and getting close enough to start wrecking fools. Going head-on when you're in the line of sight is just foolish.

I've been playing this game a lot, I'm level 21 now and I'm not kidding I just played on Homestead and Complex for the first time ever today.

LowSignal

There aren't that many good players because there aren't that many people playing on PC!

But yeah, I pick my fights with Ronin. All about sneaking around and getting close enough to start wrecking fools. Going head-on when you're in the line of sight is just foolish.

I wish they had crossplay for the PC version to play with the console, it would help the population and skill base.

Zakalwe

Banned
Went on another Ronin rampage last night and someone took notice...

https://youtu.be/lFJ-9uIBsgY

Nerf Ronin!
Please don't :(

I don't know why people are calling you out for the fact some of your opponents suck, the majority of players in MP suck. So any Titan rampage is going to have to contend with that.

Anyway, been saying it for days, a well piloted Ronin can decimate the field. There's almost a Souls type rush to being able to dance in, take down a Titan, and dance away with minimal damage.

Or going all out and rushing a group of Titans with Sword Core and dashes, often taking down 2-3 before escaping/ejecting.

Nowhere near as easy to pilot as Tone, far more satisfying.

I wish they had crossplay for the PC version to play with the console, it would help the population and skill base.

M+KB versus Controller. Not even slightly fair generally, unfortunately.

Newlove

Btw was it just me or were the menus really slow on ps4. Like picking camos skins etc? It was taking several seconds for me.

After upgrading to ps4 pro everything loads nearly instantly. All the MP load out menus are snappy fast now. Was my ps4 install just borked? Or is this an actual ps4pro improvement?

Picking camos is the only slow part of the menu for me. Like you say it lags for 1 second max but otherwise the rest of the menu is fine.

Gator86

I don't know why people are calling you out for the fact some of your opponents suck, the majority of players in MP suck. So any Titan rampage is going to have to contend with that.

Anyway, been saying it for days, a well piloted Ronin can decimate the field. There's almost a Souls type rush to being able to dance in, take down a Titan, and dance away with minimal damage.

Or going all out and rushing a group of Titans with Sword Core and dashes, often taking down 2-3 before escaping/ejecting.

Nowhere near as easy to pilot as Tone, far more satisfying.

Almost 100 pages before a forced Souls reference. I'm disappointed, Gaf.

Calderc

I've yet to play as Ronin, but that video sold me. Have had my ass handed to me by one quite a few times. Once it's passed Tone's sheild, it's buh bye.

Gator86

Wow, you can actually get executions to trigger! What's your secret?

Same. They rarely work for me. I only have more than a handful on Ronin where you're always in mashing range. It would be nice if such an absolutely fundamental mechanism reliably worked.

Zakalwe

Banned
Almost 100 pages before a forced Souls reference. I'm disappointed, Gaf.

There's absolutely nothing forced about it.

The rush in Souls comes from going up against seemingly unbeatable opponents and winning. And when you get it down so you can do so without taking a hit, the rush is very unique.

And it's found here in TvT encounters when you choose Ronin and need to take a very Souls style approach (ie: hit and run, look for telegraphed abilities, etc...).

Seems you ran to post your snark without really thinking. ;)

Gator86

There's absolutely nothing forced about it.

The rush in Souls comes from going up against seemingly unbeatable opponents and winning. And when you get it down so you can do so without taking a hit, the rush is very unique.

And it's found here in TvT encounters when you choose Ronin and need to take a very Souls style approach (ie: hit and run, look for telegraphed abilities, etc...).

Seems you ran to post your snark without really thinking. ;)

Would you say TF2 is the Dark Souls of 2016 mech-based first-person shooters?

exYle

You definitely do that the majority of the time, but I noticed at the end there you just straight charged at 3 Titans facing you. I'm honestly surprised you didn't get wrecked there. Though stepping out for the extra battery was smart

Would you say TF2 is the Dark Souls of 2016 mech-based first-person shooters?
Not sure why you are being snarky about it. It's an apt analogy.

The only thing I'd change is that it's more like Bloodborne for Ronin than DS. High risk, high reward.

Anyway interested in using Volt, but the damage seems pretty low. Do you guys focus on headshots with it?

Mupod

I always thought Bloodborne hunter duels felt very similar to Armored Core combat, with the short dashing and general feel of the ranged/melee. I gravitate towards smaller, faster titans and always play with the extra boost, possibly just because I'm used to that kind of playstyle from other mecha games.

Plenty of people on PC are using controllers and performing well. Sure, top level PC players will beat them, but most people playing aren't anywhere near that good right now. Cross play could have been very good for increasing the game's longevity.

So I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer, but all the talk about the single player campaign has got me interested. How long is it? If I Redbox this or something would I be able to complete the campaign in a day or two?

Schlorgan

So I'm not particularly interested in the multiplayer, but all the talk about the single player campaign has got me interested. How long is it? If I Redbox this or something would I be able to complete the campaign in a day or two?

4-7 hours depending on difficulty. You could finish it within a day. It is pretty replayable though.

Zakalwe

Banned
Plenty of people on PC are using controllers and performing well. Sure, top level PC players will beat them, but most people playing aren't anywhere near that good right now. Cross play could have been very good for increasing the game's longevity.

It doesn't matter, the control method /is/ an advantage and an unfair one. It would happen enough for it to be a problem.

Calderc

So campaign question. I nissed one of the damn helmets in a chapter, does this nean I have to start again or can I just replay that chapter?

It doesn't matter, the control method /is/ an advantage and an unfair one. It would happen enough for it to be a problem.

I totally agree with you, even if a controller can achieve the same or similar is so much harder to get that same result that is just unfair.

With that said, Titanfall 2 had made me rethink how lacking a controller is, if you look at sometime like Gamesager, his accuracy on the elite controller is equal or better than many top Pc players, and far better than players like Omen.

I think a big part of the gap between the two inputs is often caused by bad configuration on how the game reads controller inputs. Acceleration increment, linearity, deadzones severity, deadzone shape, aim assistance these are features that most games just don't get right on consoles. Janky controls are the norm (e.g. Overwatch, Battlefield) and Titanfall is a cut above, it makes the gap seen smaller and stands as one of the few console games where I feel perfectly in tune with my inputs.

I often find myself playing this game and thinking 'wow, didn't think I could do that on a controller, as I rush a room and take out three people before they can even react, land sprinting double kills with Ion's laser or snap into someone behind me and kill them, successfully reacting to gunfire in a game with a lightening fast time to kill.

Bydobob

Idk about PvP, but cloak does nothing in attrition. In fact, I see cloak campers across the map. They are very easy to easy. PvP is not really Titanfall, so the game shouldn't be balanced around campers there.

I've played more PvP in a short space of time than I ever did in Titanfall. Sacrilege to say, but I'm just not enjoying the Titan combat as much. Anyway, into this cloak business, I think Chrono summed it up best when he said Cloak makes target acquisition slower. It's a distinct advantage in a 1v1 with such a short TTK. That said, I'm perfectly fine with it, I wouldn't swap it for Phase Shift in any situation.

Exaaaaaaaactly. ;)

You can also start reloads, start grenade throws, wind up a melee...

Talking of which... I'd rather you not share these secrets, people are going to find me out!

Good players stick out a mile. Had a 40 kill a match guy in our pool of PvP and the result was predetermined whichever team he ended up on. He was accused of hacking every match but I'm pretty sure he wasn't. Just insanely gifted.

You definitely do that the majority of the time, but I noticed at the end there you just straight charged at 3 Titans facing you. I'm honestly surprised you didn't get wrecked there. Though stepping out for the extra battery was smart

All those Tones on my team hiding behind their damn shields protected me lol

SwolBro

Banned
Map hack/sonar abilities are still a huge problem...
it's really not. it seems like it's gone down significantly.

Went on another Ronin rampage last night and someone took notice...

https://youtu.be/lFJ-9uIBsgY

Nerf Ronin!
Please don't :(
Ronin is really hard to use. Tone still needs an adjustment. I don't know why REspawn is so stubborn in this regard.

Either 2 things or both needs to be done immediately

1. Tone sonar pulse should not paint enemies
  2. Tone core should take longer to get, or do slightly less damage

God, Titan executions feel like such a toss up in this game. In a fast paced game where snap decision making is crucial, it annoys me so much when the simple concept of: Titan is doomed, close in, hold R3 to execute, feels like a 50/50 outcome.

Jito

Banned
God, Titan executions feel like such a toss up in this game. In a fast paced game where snap decision making is crucial, it annoys me so much when the simple concept of: Titan is doomed, close in, hold R3 to execute, feels like a 50/50 outcome.

Hold R3? They trigger from just pressing the melee button once. That might be your problem.

Mupod

So it's not just me having issues with executions lately (PC)?

I didn't have any problems when the game first released. But lately I can walk up and punch a doomed titan multiple times only to just have them reel backwards. I still get them once in a while but I've been screwed over by this a few times when I eat a core ability at point blank instead of getting the execution off.

Thinking of trading in BF1 for TF2 since it's 35 bucks on Amazon...

Anyone with both games think this is a good idea? I played the beta with GAF and there were a few complaints. Was all that fixed on release?

Also, it feels like the TF2 community is a bit more active? Maybe it's just on GAF.

FStop7

Banned
After putting more time into the multi I'm finding that I like the on foot combat a lot better than being in a Titan. I _really_ like the free running stuff a lot. I think I'm gonna stick to that in Attrition and basically use my Titan drops as bait.

E92 M3

it's really not. it seems like it's gone down significantly.

Ronin is really hard to use. Tone still needs an adjustment. I don't know why REspawn is so stubborn in this regard.

Either 2 things or both needs to be done immediately

1. Tone sonar pulse should not paint enemies
  2. Tone core should take longer to get, or do slightly less damage

Tone's core was already nerfed. Tone is fine. I don't understand this fascination with wanting to nerf Tone. She is perfectly balanced. Get in her face and she will go down. Let's be real here: people just don't like how Tone plays. It requires a different strategy and most people don't want to go out of their way to kill her.

I hope, unlike other developers, Respawn holds strong and not listen to the complaining. I will be VERY disappointed if Respawn makes the game worse for me. It's already a tough enough battling against good players. Nerfing Tone will make her useless.

Full disclosure: I main Scorch and Tone.

After putting more time into the multi I'm finding that I like the on foot combat a lot better than being in a Titan. I _really_ like the free running stuff a lot. I think I'm gonna stick to that in Attrition and basically use my Titan drops as bait.

Use assault chip on your titan then, especially on Tone and Ion, you'll be surprised how many kills they can pick up.

Top Bottom