• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

KorrZ

Getting some noticeable lag tonight... Was fine earlier and now people are literally teleporting across the map in my last game. Think I'll come back later. Constantly fluctuating from 40 to 200+ ping on NY server.

JaMarco

Getting some noticeable lag tonight... Was fine earlier and now people are literally teleporting across the map in my last game. Think I'll come back later. Constantly fluctuating from 40 to 200+ ping on NY server.
Yea the NY sever has been a little laggy lately.

thedan001

Just finished campaign, that was good

So...
BT is still alive from that phase shift because it was trying to communicate to Jack with the pinging lights? (post credits ending)

Time to hone my skills in multiplayer

cheers

Tinúviel

Are they keeping their first big update for the Angel City?I need stats and challenges TF1 had overwhelming stats and this has none lol.

Demoskinos

*SCREAMING INTERNALLY*
CxGjksDUAAAIHT4.jpg

It's so weird how they took out the smart pistol as a primary weapon due to the "cheapness" of it (i.e. Auto lock) but added all kinds of cheap stuff like ticks (which seem to have a short immunity at spawn? I was shooting one for a while after it spawned and it only started to tick damage as it came close enough to kill me), pilot turrets, map hack, sonar etc.

Generated for the first time tonight and amassed a decent wedge of credits.

Does anything I buy with them unlock for good, or only for the gen I am currently in?

The thing for me about Tone is that while she is easily countered 1v1 by other titans played well, in groups she feels impossible to deal with.

Even just against two Tones, you can never peek profitably because they will have particle wall up 60% of the time if not more, and you will be sonar'd the entire time (which is already almost the case against a single Tone). Ion is the only Titan with the tools to really deal with her 100%, and 1v1 Ion should stomp the matchup played properly, but do you think two Ions win agianst two Tones? I'm not really sure myself.

I personally don't play LTS but if I did I imagine a full team of Tones turtling with their back and flanks well covered seems like it would be pretty unbeatable except by a team of other Tones slowly chipping away. Maybe you'd just rush past the barriers with Ronin, but I feel like that's still Tone's fight to lose. All she has to do is aim well and Ronins will melt pretty quickly.

dankir

Just finished campaign, that was good

So...
BT is still alive from that phase shift because it was trying to communicate to Jack with the pinging lights? (post credits ending)

Time to hone my skills in multiplayer

cheers

Yeah hinting he made it. I'm very surprised you don't fight Kuban. Kinda hoping there's single player dlc where you play as him and goes after general Marden

Pics_nao

Was able to finally find a key for under $40. Holy fuck the game is fun but I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. This movement is fucking me hardcore.

PC multi is so dead on this game :(. 100 players on amped hardpoint Fri night

That's on your data centre. If all games split your player pool by your local data centre then you'd find a lot of games appeared 'dead'. It's not as popular on PC, but it's by no means dead. People need to quit this melodramatic nonsense. It creates a self-fulfilling prophecy where you do actually manage to gradually kill the game.

When I play after midnight on PS4, the 8 vs 8 Skirmish playlists has less than 40 people in my data centre, yet I still get a game very quickly. It's hardly 'dead', it's just the way the game works. Even on Call of Duty offers very underwhelming numbers for less popular playlists, and even worse if they were split by data centre.

MagneticDeath

Neo Member
So upgraded to a PS4 Pro today now Titanfall will not load to the main menu. Stuck at a perpetual Respawn Entertainment black loading screen before the main menu. Tried deleting and uninstalling. Anyone else have this issue? Couldn't find any help through their forums or google.

I play both Bounty Hunt and Attrition and while there is a variety of Titans, Tone is still over represented (I'd love to see Respawns data on this)

I don't think the multiplayer is particularly balanced yet and I'm not sure how anyone could see it that way. There are entire weapon classes that are largely useless in multiplayer (grenade launchers, snipers) while map hack and sonars are everywhere allowing any semi organised team to shut the enemy down and snowball titans to victory.

It's a lot of fun, and I'm wrecking shit in it. But Tone is simply too versatile at the moment. You can't give a Titan the best DPS at most ranges, the best defensive ability, spammable sonar, the strongest 1v1 core and a homing primary weapon that runs on the tears of pilots - and then pack it into a reasonably agile chassis and consider it balance.

I kill Tones all the time (Ion is my preferred method), but if I want to smash the enemy team, a team of Tones is ridiculous.
I don't disagree with a lot of what you said her but weapons are pretty balanced. A lot of people her have had a ton of success with lmgs, the cold war and snipers. Snipers and launchers are beastly in the right hands and I think they should be harder to use because of their potential to be exploited. If there were easy to master it would be like cod noob tube or the ridiculously simplified and overabundant snipers in bf1 or cod games

This game is a lot less fun without GAF buddies online...Playing solo, I'm always top scorer in the game, usually by double then next closest. And still, my team loses. Just finished 2 games in a row where I had 200+ on attrition, and they were losses. Talk about depressing.

Was able to finally find a key for under $40. Holy fuck the game is fun but I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. This movement is fucking me hardcore.
Just wait. All will soon become clear and it will be difficult to return to any other fps. It is too smooth. You will be like Neo in the Matrix eventually

E92 M3

Who would you call the best then?

tbh as Tone I only ever need to watch out for Ronin. A Ronin that gets up in your face can do some serious damage and also removes one of Tone's biggest strengths, corner camping for lock-on.

Yep Ronin really should destroy Tone in a 1v1 as he negates all of Tone's strengths, but it's only him I need to really run from/keep distance if I spot them.

There is no "best." Every player has a Titan they connect with and can master. It's very much like a fighting game. Most calls for nerfs are based on emotions that aren't properly reconciled.

This game is a lot less fun without GAF buddies online...Playing solo, I'm always top scorer in the game, usually by double then next closest. And still, my team loses. Just finished 2 games in a row where I had 200+ on attrition, and they were losses. Talk about depressing.

Happens, but the game is still immensely fun. The last time I had this much fun playing solo was TF1 and MW2.

Gator86

You'll pick it up quickly. Honestly, you can totally play at a high level here just playing it like COD. Do that at first, but try adding in movement stuff bit by bit. Trying to just speed around everywhere 100% of the time early on just makes you a big target and adds frustration as you fail to maintain momentum and such.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So upgraded to a PS4 Pro today now Titanfall will not load to the main menu. Stuck at a perpetual Respawn Entertainment black loading screen before the main menu. Tried deleting and uninstalling. Anyone else have this issue? Couldn't find any help through their forums or google.

That's the first I've heard of anything like it. Is it still happening? Did you transfer data from your old PS4?

That's on your data centre. If all games split your player pool by your local data centre then you'd find a lot of games appeared 'dead'. It's not as popular on PC, but it's by no means dead. People need to quit this melodramatic nonsense. It creates a self-fulfilling prophesy where you do actually manage to gradually kill the game.

When I play after midnight on PS4, the 8 vs 8 Skirmish playlists has less than 40 people in my data centre, yet I still get a game very quickly. It's hardly 'dead', it's just the way the game works. Even on Call of Duty offers very underwhelming numbers for less popular playlists, and even worse if they were split by data centre.

Exactly. Kinda getting tired of the "I'd get this game since it looks fun but I don't want to since it might be dead in a month" stuff. People, the game isn't anywhere close to dead. The fact that TF2 OT2 will soon be up is kind of a testament of that as well.

While I can't speak on behalf of PC, the PS4 and Xbox One player population has settled down post-launch. And nope, it's nowhere near Battlefield 1 and it's kinda foolish to think it will match that. Heck, the latest Call of Duty might even be beaten by BF1 in terms of players actively playing. People need to remember that TF2 is the franchise's first multiplatform console release, and it's not a decade-old franchise that has established fans across the world. It's doing fine. You won't get issues finding people to play with and not getting it or saying something is "dead" doesn't help and is kinda getting hyperbolic. Expect a lot of people to enter the fray once Black Friday rolls around and once Game of the Year stuff comes in. I expect TF2 to win a Shooter of the Year award or two which will push it into the minds of gamers not frequenting GAF, Reddit, etc.

Also, Respawn will be sharing their road map and other stuff soon, so that's interesting. I hope we get new Titans, weapons, etc. to complement the new maps. :)

Watch a few tutorial vids and ask around. I think a lot of GAF people are extremely good at the game. :)

You'll pick it up quickly. Honestly, you can totally play at a high level here just playing it like COD. Do that at first, but try adding in movement stuff bit by bit. Trying to just speed around everywhere 100% of the time early on just makes you a big target and adds frustration as you fail to maintain momentum and such.

This as well. Yep, same with Titan combat. It's kinda daunting at first, but the learning curve isn't that high. Not until you think of counters, how you'll kill Pilots as a Titan, etc. It's very deep (deeper than Call of Duty). And yep, don't go wallrunning everywhere since some will pick you off.

Gator86

There is no "best." Every play has a Titan they connect with and can master. It's very much like a fighting game. Most calls for nerfs are based on emotions that aren't properly reconciled.

Happens, but the game is still immensely fun. The last time I had this much fun playing solo was TF1 and MW2.

I do enjoy how literally everyone else in the thread saying Tone could use some adjustments is a terrible scrub unable to control their emotions and only you have the clarity of mind to see the game's balance and make fighting game references.

At this point, I'm a gen 3, winning almost every game, and putting up a third of the team's points in most games. Tone could still probably use some tweaks. I'm gonna crack up when I see the next set of patch notes and they lead with "Tone adjustments."

MagneticDeath

Neo Member
Excaliburps yeah I transferred using a Ethernet cord, no issues with any other games. Emailed EA about the issue was just wondering if anyone else has had it happen to them.

E92 M3

I do enjoy how literally everyone else in the thread saying Tone could use some adjustments is a terrible scrub unable to control their emotions and only you have the clarity of mind to see the game's balance and make fighting game references.

At this point, I'm a gen 3, winning almost every game, and putting up a third of the team's points in most games. Tone could still probably use some tweaks. I'm gonna crack up when I see the next set of patch notes and they lead with "Tone adjustments."

Please quote where I said everyone is a terrible scrub? Tone is balanced and Respawn would be smart to not listen to the complaining. I am on my way to gen 6 and destroy every Titan class playing solo. It's normal for me to have 5-7 Titan kills per attrition game. It's not bragging but simply stating that every Titan requires a different strategy and approach. Positioning is super important - and that is often overlooked for walking in a straight line and shooting. Of course Tone will destroy at the mid-range - that's her specialty. Get in her face, change elevation, bait out a shield. There are so many options for fighting her. It's legit just a "circle jerk" of nerf Tone - and there are plenty of people that agree she is not overpowered. Respawn already tweaked her and the salvo is significantly weaker.

At this point, Scorch and good Ronins scare me much more than a Tone. Most Tone players are very predictable.

Finally, just because "everyone" (it's not everyone) says something in a small community does not make it true. I have seen nerfs ruin a lot of good games and sure as fuck will speak up to prevent one of the best shooters of the generations from getting ruined because people don't like "stuff."

I HATEEEEEEEEEEEE the Hemlock, but would never ask for it to be nerfed. Instead, I will deal with the players that use it.

Full Disclosure: I play Scorch and Tone, so a natural bias applies but I tried my best to be objective.

definitely hard to keep playing mp in this game when all I do is lag every 5 seconds. Tried pretty much everything and it's still shit at times.

dankir

So Gamesager has got his Mozambique to gen 30.15.... I thought they stop at 20? Crazy.

edit: Man his movement is something but man oh man his aim is ridiculous.... so good with hip fire its unreal.

To be fair everone complains about Ryu and Ken because of their versitility, ease to pick up and their abundance online just like tone. I'm also pretty sure i read that Respawn tried to balance titans like characters in a street figher game so his comparisons are apt. I think there are room for tweaks, sure , but it's too soon to make that call. There are a lot of knee jerk reactions and many of us don't wan to see this awesome game ruined in response to these complaints. You really need to learn each titan and know what they are/aren't capable of in order to be effective using them and fighting them. This is also true of a fighting game. Your gameplan should be totally different when using each titan and your role needs to change too. Just like Ken needs to approach any given fight differently than Guile or how Ryu's gameplan will be much different when fighting agains Fang in contrast to Necali. Too many people here and online rushdown all the time regardless of which titan they pick and complain when it doesn't go their way.Positioning is also very important just like a fighting game. Everyone needs to learn each titan before shouting for nerfs or buffs. Tone is probably my least picked titan, tbh, i find the others much more rewarding.
Edit: Hopefully we get a bunch of new titans throughout this game's life span.

Gator86

Please quote where I said everyone is a terrible scrub? Tone is balanced and Respawn would be smart to not listen to the complaining. I am on my way to gen 6 and destroy every Titan class playing solo. It's normal for me to have 5-7 Titan kills per attrition game. It's not bragging but simply stating that every Titan requires a different strategy and approach. Positioning is super important - and that is often overlooked for walking in a straight line and shooting. Of course Tone will destroy at the mid-range - that's her specialty. Get in her face, change elevation, bait out a shield. There are so many options for fighting her. It's legit just a "circle jerk" of nerf Tone - and there are plenty of people that agree she is not overpowered. Respawn already tweaked her and the salvo is significantly weaker.

At this point, Scorch and good Ronins scare me much more than a Tone. Most Tone players are very predictable.

Finally, just because "everyone" (it's not everyone) says something in a small community does not make it true. I have seen nerfs ruin a lot of good games and sure as fuck will speak up to prevent one of the best shooters of the generations from getting ruined because people don't like "stuff."

I HATEEEEEEEEEEEE the Hemlock, but would never ask for it to be nerfed. Instead, I will deal with the players that use it.

Full Disclosure: I play Scorch and Tone, so a natural bias applies but I tried my best to be objective.

I value my weekend more than going through your old posts, but you're being hilariously disingenuous if you act like your first response to anything tone-related isn't to imply that people need to "git gud" or learn to play. You can be good at the game and still differ about balance. It's not like you're some tier above the other people here who are also good at the game.

Places like Gaf and reddit surely aren't representative of anything except outliers who spend time on video game message boards, but they have tracked pretty well with Respawn's opinion and the first patch. They tweaked almost an identical list to the things complained about. There's a reason why both the new people are like "wow, tone is great, she's the only titan I can use right now" and veterans are saying she needs some tweaks.

E92 M3

I value my weekend more than going through your old posts, but you're being hilariously disingenuous if you act like your first response to anything tone-related isn't to imply that people need to "git gud" or learn to play. You can be good at the game and still differ about balance. It's not like you're some tier above the other people here who are also good at the game.

Places like Gaf and reddit surely aren't representative of anything except outliers who spend time on video game message boards, but they have tracked pretty well with Respawn's opinion and the first patch. They tweaked almost an identical list to the things complained about. There's a reason why both the new people are like "wow, tone is great, she's the only titan I can use right now" and veterans are saying she needs some tweaks.

Everyone's opinion is valued, and there are a bunch of good players here. As someone that adores this franchise and game, Tone does not seem like anything special beyond her general versatility that is welcoming to new players. Every Titan feels good and requires a different approach. One does not fight a Tone like an Ion or Legion. Some people will not be satisfied until Tone is useless.

The post above your is also very good.

Thinking of getting this game but I have a few concerns.

I've heard a lot about the sonar and map hack. Is it as bad as the UAV spam in the Call of Duty games?

I know they're not exactly the same but I just hate having people always knowing where u are.

inthrall

Thinking of getting this game but I have a few concerns.

I've heard a lot about the sonar and map hack. Is it as bad as the UAV spam in the Call of Duty games?

I hate UAV spam.
Map hack is a lot more bearable after the nerf, sonar is strong if placed well, but can just as easily whiff

Top Bottom