• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Stick to bounty or attrition, single-handily carry a lot of games there.

Easy to make up for terrible teammates by smartly farming ai.

I can only do so much

I've had >150pt games in Attrition but teammates would rather just play against me

Add gaf members? I always see you in the ps4 group but people rarely joing network games. What do you play? LTS?

Yeah, LTS. I've been branching out to Attrition the last couple of days since, you know, just killing stuff. But even thats a bit much for some.

witness

So how is the multi for someone like me who's just not typically good at online games? I loved the original because Attrition was perfect for someone like me, I felt so empowered playing it. Can I still get that experience here?

E92 M3

Gen 5 emblem is so cool, but my favorite is Burning Man. I love that one - especially with gold banner.

I just pray that the population keeps increasing on Xbox. So far so good.

So how is the multi for someone like me who's just not typically good at online games? I loved the original because Attrition was perfect for someone like me, I felt so empowered playing it. Can I still get that experience here?

Yes, you can play Bounty Hunt or Attrition and just kill bots if that's your thing.

Reebot

Not really, the ai is starkly scaled back. Game is heavily about PvP combat now in all modes.

If you're not into competitive fps, and really engaging in mechanics to beat other players, prob won't have a great time.

dankir

The MP is very very frantic and dynamic, you can get killed in many different ways from any angle, distance in a very short period of time. So the initial impression might not be good, but once you get used to the play style and learning curve its really really rewarding.

edit: Oh wait I didn't realize you played the first, I would say this is even faster than TF1. Lots more ways to day, Reapers in Attrition can kill you quickly as well.

Just a nitpick, but I don't much care for the aiming reticle and even more so the hit marker. I wish there were options to turn the hit marker off or at least make it smaller. A lot of other developers have made them less prominent over the last few years, but Respawn brings it back to Modern Warfare level, which I guess makes sense considering. I just feel like I can't see my target as the bullets are hitting them, and that's part of the fun.

It would also be nice to have a few options with the reticle style/size/darkness/color.

Well I keep getting crushed in this game. I'm up to level 24 and I still don't think I've been top of my team once.

Can anyone tell me what the point of the grenadier weapons are? Perhaps I haven't unlocked enough of them yet. I thought they were going to be "all in" vs titan, but they don't seem to do much damage to titans (well at least the two I've got unlocked). The mini rocket one is pretty good at killing pilots though, but not better than a SMG or assault rifle from the same range.

I was hoping they would be better for titans because I run out of shots with my Anti titan weapons a lot, and I was hoping to offset this with an anti titan class. but so far its been unsuccessful.
Use the archer with extra rounds and fast reload.

FStop7

Banned
Fuck, when this game goes right it makes you feel like a God and when it goes wrong it makes you want to throw your controller. Probably means that it's very good.

I use faster ADS and faster reload
That's good combo too but i love fighting titans as a pilot and kept running out of launcher ammo and the guy i was responding to, said he was running out of anti titan rounds too. When i use assault rifles i need faster ads and smgs are all about firing while sprinting. For my playstyle, at least

Izuna

Banned
That's good combo too but i love fighting titans as a pilot and kept running out of launcher ammo and the guy i was responding to, said he was running out of anti titan rounds too. When i use assault rifles i need faster ads and smgs are all about firing while sprinting. For my playstyle, at least

Have a look at how much more ammo you get with that

Mupod

Well I keep getting crushed in this game. I'm up to level 24 and I still don't think I've been top of my team once.

Can anyone tell me what the point of the grenadier weapons are? Perhaps I haven't unlocked enough of them yet. I thought they were going to be "all in" vs titan, but they don't seem to do much damage to titans (well at least the two I've got unlocked). The mini rocket one is pretty good at killing pilots though, but not better than a SMG or assault rifle from the same range.

I was hoping they would be better for titans because I run out of shots with my Anti titan weapons a lot, and I was hoping to offset this with an anti titan class. but so far its been unsuccessful.

grenadier weapons are pretty broken/useless sadly, between the hit detection and other issues like projectiles going away when you die. I've gotten plenty of kills with the EPG-1 but there's not much point to working your ass off to land hits when any hitscan gun will kill in the same time or faster.

They are VERY good at farming AI in attrition/bounty hunt though. And softball+ordnance expert can be fun. They're weapons to use when you're bored of the gottawin metagame tryhard SMGs.

grenadier weapons are pretty broken/useless sadly, between the hit detection and other issues like projectiles going away when you die. I've gotten plenty of kills with the EPG-1 but there's not much point to working your ass off to land hits when any hitscan gun will kill in the same time or faster.

They are VERY good at farming AI in attrition/bounty hunt though. And softball+ordnance expert can be fun. They're weapons to use when you're bored of the gottawin metagame tryhard SMGs.
No cold war love?

Gator86

Yeah, get fucked, Respawn. I love meleeing a Titan 3 times while doomed and getting nothing only to have him shrug then activate nuclear ejection once he has a sliver of health left.

Ordnance does nothing for soft ball. You see the trajectory by default when you ADS.

No Love

Banned
I'll be honest with you guys. While I had a few days of good fun, I think I already got bored of TF2. There's no real hook once you're past the initial discovery phase. Bounty and Attrition are great variations on deathmatch, but it's not quite enough to keep me in (and on PC those are the only populated modes).

I simply find myself sticking to Overwatch and forgetting I have any other MP shooter.

Game needs more/better maps. Thankfully there's so many other games to play this season that you shouldn't have a problem taking a break from TF2.

BIGWORM

Yeah, get fucked, Respawn. I love meleeing a Titan 3 times while doomed and getting nothing only to have him shrug then activate nuclear ejection once he has a sliver of health left.

That's why Scorch is good. Make them soak up all kinds of damage with Gas Traps/thermite, then time your melee perfectly. Boom. Thermite shield to the face.

3DShovel

I'll be honest with you guys. While I had a few days of good fun, I think I already got bored of TF2. There's no real hook once you're past the initial discovery phase. Bounty and Attrition are great variations on deathmatch, but it's not quite enough to keep me in (and on PC those are the only populated modes).

I simply find myself sticking to Overwatch and forgetting I have any other MP shooter.

I like how you say you'll go back to Overwatch, which is a game that has literally received no content in months.

This game literally just came out.

Gator86

That's why Scorch is good. Make them soak up all kinds of damage with Gas Traps/thermite, then time your melee perfectly. Boom. Thermite shield to the face.

Scorch is great up close and a great example of why the executions thing is ridiculous. If the game fucks you out of an execution, that Scorch is absolutely murdering you.

Right now, you could either get an execution for a quick titan and pilot kill, making a real difference in a match, or get fucking nothing, taking a bunch of damage because now you're sitting in front of a Titan and possibly in a bad spot.

They absolutely have to fix:
-Reaper collision detection. It's utter bullshit. Being penned in by trash AI is abhorrent game design. I love sitting helpless in an open field because a pointless fucking reaper decided to somehow wedge itself inside of my Titan.
-Melee is jank as fuck. Rough for pilots, abominable for titan exections
-Low tick rate servers. I'm fucking tired of getting killed after phase shifting.

KorrZ

Why do the servers keep shitting the bed. NY server has been fucked this weekend (seemingly totally randomly) and it really kills all motivation to play.

Had 1 good match and then 2 in a row that where the ping was fluctuating all over the place.

I really like the region based matchmaking for servers. It means I see the same people quite frequently. Kind of builds a bit little community around each data centre.

I ended up getting an invite from these two guys, at first I thought it was to yell at me or something because I had been sniping them but it turns out they had seen me on the server regularly and thought it would be fun to have someone else to play with. I've been teaming up with them since and it's been pretty fun.

If anyone else wants to play do hit me up, always appreciate more people to play with and chat to.

Jake2by4

Why do the servers keep shitting the bed. NY server has been fucked this weekend (seemingly totally randomly) and it really kills all motivation to play.

Had 1 good match and then 2 in a row that where the ping was fluctuating all over the place.
I feel you, NY severs feel shitty.

One of the things we did in the Rainbow Six Siege community when that game launched was we had some GAF private, competitive matches, where we got people to sign up onto teams and then played a pseudo competitive series. It was best of 5 or so, and I found it to be a pretty fun way to get my feet wet in terms of playing the game at a slightly more competitive level than what is seen in public matches, while at the same time, it was fun to meet new people that I likely wouldn't otherwise play against.

Would people be interested in doing that here?

The way it would work is I would set a date, ask people if they wanted to sign up and then we would randomise the teams (it's pseudo competitive, we don't want someone crushing everyone because they stacked the best players). I'm from the UK but I think the games are peer to peer so we would rotate host. Matches could be streamed / put onto youtube for others to spectate. I could organise this for PS4.

How does everyone rate the maps from best to worst?

Drydock - This map is fantastic, the only amazing map imo.
Black Water Canal
Eden
Exoplanet
Boomtown
Kodai
Complex
Homestead
Crash Site - This map is making me hate Attrition since I get it 30% of the time.

I don't remember all of the maps names or how I would place them but the best and worst maps tend to stand out to me. For me it really varies though, as some maps really work on certain objectives. I think that Crash site is pretty bad in Attrition and Bounty hunt, it's too large and almost linear, yet on Amped Hardpoint and Capture the Flag it can be petty fun.

Black Water Canal is my least favourite overall. I feel like it facilitates camping on the rooftops much more so than most others, and leaves players wanting to flank vulnerable as they have to jump across the canel, against good teams this map is easy to lock down and turns into a boring roof top fight. Even Amped hardpoint can't save this, you feel like a sitting duck on the bridge capping B, and in CTF, flag runs leave you very vulnerable as you cross the canal, it's just not flexible with its route options.

Boomtown is one of my least favourites. The slanted roof tops afford easy head glitching and generally annoying gameplay. This is really quite similar to Black Water canal, supporting roof top camping. In amped hardpoint, B is super annoying to cap, completely untouchable by pilots without making yourself a huge target. The trees asking you to return to the map are annoying also.

My favourite map is probably Eden, good balance of interior and exterior combat and I really enjoy hardpoint maps where B takes place inside. Lots of verticality to this map as gunfights frequently break out on any of the two floors plus roof tops in the maps centre. The flat roof tops are also nice for combat, preventing head glitching and camping.

My second favourite map is probably Homsstead. I know that this is the map that a lot of people hated in the beta, saying it's too open, but I don't often find I have difficulty crossing the field. Sure, it's a big killzone, but it's super fun to ski across the battlefield in this open space, combining stim, air strafing and bunny hopping to get around the entire map without losing momentum is a great feeling, and in my opinion it's quite nice to have a map with less stuff in the way of that. The Titan vs Titan combat here is quite fun for Titan's like Ion, Legion, Northstar and Tone (but horrible for Scorch and Ronin) and B is an interesting point to contest in amped hardpoint with flexible options to approach and cap. In CTF the map is a little weaker as it is admittedly hard to get the flag across the field when everyone is gunning for you.

I also really like Complex, especially for LTS and general run and gun pilot gameplay. Stimming around and gunning everyone down with an SMG then switching to Scorch for some area control, those are my favourite playstyles so it makes sense that I'd like this map, as it facilitates them very well.

Flunkie

Banned
Jesus Christ, I'm getting so much microlag it's crazy. It's like I'm running along, and the game slows down for a little bit then normalizes, then does it again. It's driving me nuts. Anyone else? PS4 Pro

Wark

So what primary weapon does everyone like? For a while, I was using the hemlock, but then I switched and settled on the CAR for now. Are any of the other sub-machine guns any better? I haven't really tried any of the other ones out yet.

Respawn should dump the TF 1 maps into this game, as quickly as they can.

I'd be down for that.

SwolBro

Banned
I use faster ADS and faster reload

sorry to tell you guys but the mag launcher is better.

Neolombax

So what primary weapon does everyone like? For a while, I was using the hemlock, but then I switched and settled on the CAR for now. Are any of the other sub-machine guns any better? I haven't really tried any of the other ones out yet.

I'd be down for that.

Was using the Hemlock for a while and that thing absolutely wrecked people. Now I'm running around with the Volt. Feels somewhat closer to an AR than an SMG. I'm liking it.

For what it's worth, people may be interested in knowing that this thread is far more popular than the Rainbow Six Siege OT or Uncharted Multiplayer OTs were. Rainbow Six Siege grew into an incredibly healthy online game, Uncharted's multiplayer looks to be slowly dwindling in popularity, but remains supported by the developers.

On GAF, the activity of this thread comes close to matching Battlefield 4, and exceeds both recent Call of Duty OTs, even when they are combined. I say this as a counter argument to the doom and gloom that seems popular here. Titanfall 2 isn't on Battlefield or Call of Duty's level when we look at the wider market, but it seems to be a decently popular game. It's no Battleborn, that's for sure.

I think within this kind of circle we have a good community and a popular game. While Titanfall may have missed the younger, less enthusiastic video game crowd, the game seems to be very popular among journalists and more dedicated video game enthusiasts. Unlike Rainbow Six Siege, which was a technical mess for the first 3 months, the game is shaping up to be pretty solid contended this holiday, let's hope it does well.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Jesus Christ, I'm getting so much microlag it's crazy. It's like I'm running along, and the game slows down for a little bit then normalizes, then does it again. It's driving me nuts. Anyone else? PS4 Pro

Experienced this exact same thing a few days ago. Switched data centers and it's OK now (also on PS4).

--

I know Complex and Crash Site are too choke point-oriented but it's not terrible. I mean, it's nowhere near Infinite Warfare levels of baffling design decision. Use other kits for 'em?

I find I do very well with Hemlock on Crash Site (literally almost always get like 3-5 Pilot kill) during that first encounter every time. I think some of the maps were purposely designed that way to make people try different loadout and experiment.

Almost Gen3 and still loving it. I mostly just play Attrition but I still can't get enough. I've almost regenned all Assault Rifles and SMGs. Will use LMGs next. Titans, only ones I haven't tried or Regen are Ronin and Northstar.

Hope we get new soon about what content will drop after Angel City. New Titans, weapons, kits and I'm good. This is easily the best MP game for me this year. Glad to see more and more people jumping aboard the TF2 train. That PS4 player pop is rising and stabilizing. :)

For what it's worth, this thread is far more popular than the Rainbow Six Siege OT or Uncharted Multiplayer OTs were. Rainbow Six Siege grew into an incredibly healthy online game, Uncharted's multiplayer looks to be slowly dwindling in popularity, but remains supported by the developers.

On GAF, the activity of this thread comes close to matching Battlefield 4, and exceeds both recent Call of Duty OTs, even when they are combined.

I think within this kind of circle we have a good community and a popular game. While Titanfall may have missed the younger, less enthusiastic video game crowd, the game seems to be very popular among journalists and more dedicated video game enthusiasts. Unlike Rainbow Six Siege, which was a technical mess for the first 3 months, the game is shaping up to be pretty solid contended this holiday, let's hope it does well.

Nice post and yes. Noticed how a lot of people are super active in this thread compared to other games.

Count me in the lot of game jounos that unabashedly adore TF2. I mean, this has been the first time I've been this active in any OT ever. And that's something, no. :)

SwolBro

Banned
For what it's worth, this thread is far more popular than the Rainbow Six Siege OT or Uncharted Multiplayer OTs were. Rainbow Six Siege grew into an incredibly healthy online game, Uncharted's multiplayer looks to be slowly dwindling in popularity, but remains supported by the developers.

On GAF, the activity of this thread comes close to matching Battlefield 4, and exceeds both recent Call of Duty OTs, even when they are combined.

Siege is a big PC game though right? I think Titanfall 2 will be healthy on consoles for a long time, i don't think we have to worry about that.

It's the PC crowd that has to worry.

Using the shotgun in the SP campaign was some of the most fun I've had with a shooter. Running on walls and sliding and jumping while one or two shotting enemies. Unfortunely that experience does not carry over to MP.

Siege is a big PC game though right? I think Titanfall 2 will be healthy on consoles for a long time, i don't think we have to worry about that.

It's the PC crowd that has to worry.

It's actually considered to be more popular on PS4. The competitive scene is largely on PC, but a tonne of people play Siege on PS4.

Joyful

imo the best anti titan weapon is the thunderbolt

it hits multiple things at once which builds meter fast and explodes on contact
with the quickreload+more ammo its best

its not great against pilots but its not supposed to be

I have a problem with the PC version of this game. I'm running this game at 1440, with high settings. And my framerate is between 120-140. But I still will get random stutters. I can't tell if I'm crazy, but it seems to always hit when I'm thick in the action, about to shoot on some enemy pilots. And it seems to happen mostly within the first 2-3 minutes of a round, then it calms down. I tried lowering my settings, and no luck. Still happens.

Vanadium

I level everything up to 5 then move on to another load out. First MP game I've ever played where I don't feel forced to stick with anything. Started at Scorch. Tone was boring by level 7. Took Northstar to 12 - crack up laughing everytime at her execution. Working on Ronin now.

IISANDERII

So when does the multiplayer click? I'm level 14 and have only played Attrition. At the beginning of a match it's ok but when I'm a Titan I'm not finding that bit fun.

Gator86

For what it's worth, people may be interested in knowing that this thread is far more popular than the Rainbow Six Siege OT or Uncharted Multiplayer OTs were. Rainbow Six Siege grew into an incredibly healthy online game, Uncharted's multiplayer looks to be slowly dwindling in popularity, but remains supported by the developers.

On GAF, the activity of this thread comes close to matching Battlefield 4, and exceeds both recent Call of Duty OTs, even when they are combined. I say this as a counter argument to the doom and gloom that seems popular here. Titanfall 2 isn't on Battlefield or Call of Duty's level when we look at the wider market, but it seems to be a decently popular game. It's no Battleborn, that's for sure.

That's awesome. This is definitely the most I've ever posted in an OT. TF2 is a terrific game so I hope it stays active. It all really depends on Respawn. Can they get updates out quickly? Are they adding quality stuff? Are they communicating? I'm not especially confident about 1 and 3, but we'll see.

Joyful

So when does the multiplayer click? I'm level 14 and have only played Attrition. At the beginning of a match it's ok but when I'm a Titan I'm not finding that bit fun.

just use enhanced auto titan and run around with it as your buddy maybe if you dont like titan combat

Play Mixtape or Bounty Hunt instead. Attrition isn't in an especially good place right now. Among various issues like Titan imbalance, the spawns on many maps are extremely wonky. It can lead to long periods of boring no-combat movement, basically the opposite of classic Titanfall's Attrition.

Will0827

Just finished the campaign and man it was incredible. Im hoping there is more in the future, or if it takes till the next game I can't wait for that.

Top Bottom