• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

CupONoodos

Neo Member
If people are getting tired of the multiplayer, try out Mixtape. Playing all the games modes might help alleviate some repetitive tendencies. I exclusively play Mixtape and love playing all the modes. The game is just too much fun seriously! Can't get enough of it!

experienced my first spawn camp on crash site. Didnt even know that could happen. Does ronin's melee do more dmg than other titan melee? Haven't really been using it as much compared to the shotgun. Double arcwave + battery was a good tip though. Definitely feels way better compared to not running w/ the battery perk.

So when does the multiplayer click? I'm level 14 and have only played Attrition. At the beginning of a match it's ok but when I'm a Titan I'm not finding that bit fun.

Honestly, I don't care for the titan stuff at all. Most of the maps seem too small for them. Pilot vs. pilot seems a lot more fun

T-0800

Game still hasn't clicked for me either and I don't know if it will. Being in Australia there is only about 150 people online and I was having issues with the connection jumping up and down. Changing regions would be unplayable I imagine.

I have a problem with the PC version of this game. I'm running this game at 1440, with high settings. And my framerate is between 120-140. But I still will get random stutters. I can't tell if I'm crazy, but it seems to always hit when I'm thick in the action, about to shoot on some enemy pilots. And it seems to happen mostly within the first 2-3 minutes of a round, then it calms down. I tried lowering my settings, and no luck. Still happens.

How is the stuttering? I have dynamic resolution on and I get lots of tearing. And also get some moments of unresponsiveness. It was almost like yesterday's hard freeze.

Gator86

Goddamn, fuck whoever came up with Reapers in Attrition. You can beat enemy teams simply by ignoring their Reapers. Eventually, they just clog the lanes and beach every Titan. This and the titan executions being completely broken are the absolute worst things about the game right now.

How is the stuttering? I have dynamic resolution on and I get lots of tearing. And also get some moments of unresponsiveness. It was almost like yesterday's hard freeze.
I'm currently trying dynamic resolution to see if it helps, and no luck. I still get these issues. It is quick though, so probably more of a stutter. Half a second in length. But makes no sense why I see such sudden and drastic drops.

Mephala

Ion is probably my all round favourite to use. The universal energy meter is one of the reasons. The ability to just fire the shoulder laser twice for quick crits is awesome. Turning pilots into red mist is exceptionally satisfying. Deflecting Legion's barrage with vortex is hilarious.
0HjKVK7.gif

SpacLock

One of the things we did in the Rainbow Six Siege community when that game launched was we had some GAF private, competitive matches, where we got people to sign up onto teams and then played a pseudo competitive series. It was best of 5 or so, and I found it to be a pretty fun way to get my feet wet in terms of playing the game at a slightly more competitive level than what is seen in public matches, while at the same time, it was fun to meet new people that I likely wouldn't otherwise play against.

Would people be interested in doing that here?

The way it would work is I would set a date, ask people if they wanted to sign up and then we would randomise the teams (it's pseudo competitive, we don't want someone crushing everyone because they stacked the best players). I'm from the UK but I think the games are peer to peer so we would rotate host. Matches could be streamed / put onto youtube for others to spectate. I could organise this for PS4.

I don't remember all of the maps names or how I would place them but the best and worst maps tend to stand out to me. For me it really varies though, as some maps really work on certain objectives. I think that Crash site is pretty bad in Attrition and Bounty hunt, it's too large and almost linear, yet on Amped Hardpoint and Capture the Flag it can be petty fun.

Black Water Canal is my least favourite overall. I feel like it facilitates camping on the rooftops much more so than most others, and leaves players wanting to flank vulnerable as they have to jump across the canel, against good teams this map is easy to lock down and turns into a boring roof top fight. Even Amped hardpoint can't save this, you feel like a sitting duck on the bridge capping B, and in CTF, flag runs leave you very vulnerable as you cross the canal, it's just not flexible with its route options.

Boomtown is one of my least favourites. The slanted roof tops afford easy head glitching and generally annoying gameplay. This is really quite similar to Black Water canal, supporting roof top camping. In amped hardpoint, B is super annoying to cap, completely untouchable by pilots without making yourself a huge target. The trees asking you to return to the map are annoying also.

My favourite map is probably Eden, good balance of interior and exterior combat and I really enjoy hardpoint maps where B takes place inside. Lots of verticality to this map as gunfights frequently break out on any of the two floors plus roof tops in the maps centre. The flat roof tops are also nice for combat, preventing head glitching and camping.

My second favourite map is probably Homsstead. I know that this is the map that a lot of people hated in the beta, saying it's too open, but I don't often find I have difficulty crossing the field. Sure, it's a big killzone, but it's super fun to ski across the battlefield in this open space, combining stim, air strafing and bunny hopping to get around the entire map without losing momentum is a great feeling, and in my opinion it's quite nice to have a map with less stuff in the way of that. The Titan vs Titan combat here is quite fun for Titan's like Ion, Legion, Northstar and Tone (but horrible for Scorch and Ronin) and B is an interesting point to contest in amped hardpoint with flexible options to approach and cap. In CTF the map is a little weaker as it is admittedly hard to get the flag across the field when everyone is gunning for you.

I also really like Complex, especially for LTS and general run and gun pilot gameplay. Stimming around and gunning everyone down with an SMG then switching to Scorch for some area control, those are my favourite playstyles so it makes sense that I'd like this map, as it facilitates them very well.

I can definitely get behind your map choices.

Hardpoint on Eden is by far my favorite map and game type combo.

I have a problem with the PC version of this game. I'm running this game at 1440, with high settings. And my framerate is between 120-140. But I still will get random stutters. I can't tell if I'm crazy, but it seems to always hit when I'm thick in the action, about to shoot on some enemy pilots. And it seems to happen mostly within the first 2-3 minutes of a round, then it calms down. I tried lowering my settings, and no luck. Still happens.

I've had this issue a lot and what I've done that seems to work and seems to work for other people is run it in full screen and set your texture resolution to low. Does it only happen during AI modes or when there's a bunch of stuff on screen? I think what's happening is the game lags when it tries to go from low res to high res textures during a match. I also increased my page file size but idk if that'll help as well

Wark

So when does the multiplayer click? I'm level 14 and have only played Attrition. At the beginning of a match it's ok but when I'm a Titan I'm not finding that bit fun.

Which Titan are you using? I switched to Tone and I have a little more fun piloting it around than I did with the other Titans. Though, to be honest, I'm not a huge fan of the Titan stuff either. I usually just eject out of it and let it run around on Auto-Titan mode. I feel that running around as a more mobile pilot is a lot more fun than the cramped Titan movement.

Reebot

One thing I haven't properly praised the game for yet is it unbelievably short loads and menu responsiveness. Really very impressive.

Gator86

One thing I haven't properly praised the game for yet is it unbelievably short loads and menu responsiveness. Really very impressive.

A weird thing to have to praise, but I agree. BF1's menus are so fucked up. Sometimes it feels like gaming is going backwards. The short times and lack of heavy front end let me go from the menus to a game half over already in progress in seconds usually.

Wark

Agreed. Though the only time the menu takes a little while to load is when I want to switch my camo - which lasts only a couple seconds and it only does it from time to time.

Wark

What online mode is your guys favorite? I'm diggin amped hardpoint quite a bit

I'd have to say amped hardpoint is my favorite. I'm usually a sucker for control point modes though.

Well, it is time for bed. I wanna keep playing, but I gotta work. It was fun bumping into some of you GAFFers on matchmaking! I should be playing this all evening tomorrow. Hit me up if anybody wants to add me to PSN.

Reebot

A weird thing to have to praise, but I agree. BF1's menus are so fucked up. Sometimes it feels like gaming is going backwards. The short times and lack of heavy front end let me go from the menus to a game half over already in progress in seconds usually.

That contrast with BF 1 is why its worth praising. Its an overlooked area of praise/criticism that Titanfall 2 nails.

Agreed. Though the only time the menu takes a little while to load is when I want to switch my camo - which lasts only a couple seconds and it only does it from time to time.

Yeah, and that's forgivable - its not like the camo changes every match.

Just realized the Thunderbolt does AOE damage while it travels through the air.

Even if the orb doesn't hit a titan if it passes close enough to it it will still damage them with those lightning sparks.

Also using the Devotion with the gunrunning perk actually works pretty well as an SMG. With my terrible aim by the time I get the crosshairs on them it's already ramped up and pretty much shreds them and anyone else who happens to turn the corner during the fight.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

It clicked for me around Level 6 if I recall correctly...(Level 40 now).....so maybe it's not the MP game for you, unless you're using a Titan that doesn't gel with you playstyle: who's your go-to Titan?

I find Scorch super fun, but Tone is still the best for actually winning IMO.

I could have probably played an attrition match in the same amount of time it takes to get into a bf1 match sometimes
Also, i played my first match against an entire team of tones and i will admit it was super annoying. I found it worse when it was 4 tones and 2 good ronins, though

Dmax3901

Got a couple of questions about the first Titanfall for you guys:

1. Was it multiplayer only?

2. It was critically well-received but did the player base just not stick around? Or was that just for the PC version?

Cheers!

2. It was critically well-received but did the player base just not stick around? Or was that just for the PC version?

Cheers!
1. Yes.
2. It was fairly well received, but there were complaints (the major two of which were no single player campaign, and not enough weapons/unlocks). The PC version suffered from a slew of technical issues that got fixed fairly well after release, which meant that the PC playerbase thinned rather quickly.

Krelian

I've been playing the game since Saturday. It was a little frustrating at first but I'm starting to see some progress. I still don't understand most mechanics (no clue what executions are or what regen is) and I wish there was some kind of tutorial explaining how to use your titan, I remember Titanfall 1 had a mandatory tutorial. At the moment I usually let my titan follow me in auto mode because it has a much better chance of survival that way. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually but until then I'll just keep learning while I play.

I have one question though: Are there stats of any kind? How many players or NPCs I killed, kills per gun, that sort of thing.

Yes.

Neolombax

What online mode is your guys favorite? I'm diggin amped hardpoint quite a bit

Generally, people in the Asia region love to play Attrition or Bounty Hunt, so I havent been able to play a lot of the other modes. Just recently I think people are starting to branch out to other modes. I managed to play some Last Titan Standing last night. The flow of the match seem to slow down a bit and people generally become more tactical, which is really cool.

Generally, people in the Asia region love to play Attrition or Bounty Hunt, so I havent been able to play a lot of the other modes. Just recently I think people are starting to branch out to other modes. I managed to play some Last Titan Standing last night. The flow of the match seem to slow down a bit and people generally become more tactical, which is really cool.

I picture LTS is like tank warfare.

Positioning and flanking is Everything.

I'm currently trying dynamic resolution to see if it helps, and no luck. I still get these issues. It is quick though, so probably more of a stutter. Half a second in length. But makes no sense why I see such sudden and drastic drops.

I'm pretty sure it's the network, ping spikes etc. I'm running similar specs and I get the same, but only in MP, SP is fine. If you go to the TF2 forums there's many people reporting the same issue. Respawn are aware of the issues.

Zemm

Any tips for Cod noob playing the multiplayer for the first time?

Try the CAR or R201 weapons, unlock Tone as your Titan (with the credits you get), try to slow down a bit. I dunno if you were like me at the start but I had to wallrun everywhere all the time, playing it like Sonic the Hedgehog (gotta go fast!), but once you slow it down a bit you're less likely to get caught in unfavorable situations. Learn the maps (probably the most important and will come with time).

Texan365

Can anyone comment on the player count for ps4 on the west coast? I'm thinking about getting the game, but don't want to jump into a dead ecosystem =X

I've been playing the game since Saturday. It was a little frustrating at first but I'm starting to see some progress. I still don't understand most mechanics (no clue what executions are or what regen is) and I wish there was some kind of tutorial explaining how to use your titan, I remember Titanfall 1 had a mandatory tutorial. At the moment I usually let my titan follow me in auto mode because it has a much better chance of survival that way. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it eventually but until then I'll just keep learning while I play.

The campaign is your tutorial, especially on Titan combat. Stats are coming in an update.

enewtabie

Wife ordered this Thursday on Amazon. I told her I wanted it for Christmas,since I played the hell out of the first one. It came in Saturday and I opened it early, and the game is good. I'm a little iffy on the maps I have played,but the single player is fun.

Calabi

I cant even play the campaign now, I get a complete crash on PS4 when I try. Like its happened so many times with so many games I dont understand, I've never had consoles crash and freeze like these ones have.

Regenerated on Saturday. Trying some different play styles/weapons this go around, but I find myself going back to my original load out. Such a great game, I see this being my shooter of choice for the rest of the gen. Hopefully the community continues to grow!

Wife ordered this Thursday on Amazon. I told her I wanted it for Christmas,since I played the hell out of the first one. It came in Saturday and I opened it early, and the game is good. I'm a little iffy on the maps I have played,but the single player is fun.

Initially I thought the maps were nowhere near as good as the first game, probably due to the reduced verticality, but the more I play the more I enjoyed the new ones. If you get around to slide hopping/bunny hopping you can move incredibly fast and the flatter map layout actually complements this better than the original maps IMO.

Game of the year for me, so many combinations and permutations to try in the multiplayer, takes time to get good with individual titans.

Top Bottom