• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Alx

drunk Barker is the best

I like the character, but all his comments being based on drinking gets old quickly.
But the only two factions that annoy me are the first two. There's something off with the new model of the female character (Sarah something ?), and Blisk's French dub is terrible, they hired a famous rap singer to do it and his voice is too recognizable (besides he's not that great of a voice actor)

I really enjoyed the campaign but I am struggling badly to get into the multiplayer at all.

Titanfall 1 felt like constant action to me, these maps have huge dead zones, I am often getting killed from behind not long after spawning as well which is frustrating. I seem to always be on the losing side too, I have maybe won 2 or 3 games in about 6 hours. I get what I think is a decent score but compared to folk on the other team it's not but then everyone on my team seems to have a low score.

Almost forgot to mention people camping on roof tops with the stealth thing on, instantly disappearing once you stop shooting seems OP.

What happens when I remove a battery? usually I try to leg it and put it in a friendly titan but i rarely survive long enough to do that. In TF1 i felt like i was doing something when I was rodeoing a titan.

I'm waiting on something clicking but it's not happening yet. Am I playing it wrong?

BashNasty

I really enjoyed the campaign but I am struggling badly to get into the multiplayer at all.

Titanfall 1 felt like constant action to me, these maps have huge dead zones, I am often getting killed from behind not long after spawning as well which is frustrating. I seem to always be on the losing side too, I have maybe won 2 or 3 games in about 6 hours. I get what I think is a decent score but compared to folk on the other team it's not but then everyone on my team seems to have a low score.

Almost forgot to mention people camping on roof tops with the stealth thing on, instantly disappearing once you stop shooting seems OP.

What happens when I remove a battery? usually I try to leg it and put it in a friendly titan but i rarely survive long enough to do that. In TF1 i felt like i was doing something when I was rodeoing a titan.

I'm waiting on something clicking but it's not happening yet. Am I playing it wrong?

Your thoughts largely mirror mine. I feel the campaign in Titanfall 2 is one of the best single player experiences I've had this year, but the multiplayer hasn't grabbed me. This would be whatever, except for the fact that I loved, loved, loved the multiplayer in Titanfall 1 and was very, very good at it. Here I struggle to stay in the top half of the scoreboard and, yes, find plenty of dull moments during matches. I often feel like I just can't find anything to shoot at. It's so damn fucking weird because the mechanics and game feel are totally there, but something about the multiplayer feels really off.

Forced my self to use Volt for a few rounds. Really tried to find some use case for this gun.

My god this gun is bad. There is no redeeming quality as far as I can tell.

Your thoughts largely mirror mine. I feel the campaign in Titanfall 2 is one of the best single player experiences I've had this year, but the multiplayer hasn't grabbed me. This would be whatever, except for the fact that I loved, loved, loved the multiplayer in Titanfall 1 and was very, very good at it. Here I struggle to stay in the top half of the scoreboard and, yes, find plenty of dull moments during matches. I often feel like I just can't find anything to shoot at. It's so damn fucking weird because the mechanics and game feel are totally there, but something about the multiplayer feels really off.

Aye I really want to like this as well, but it's just not doing it. I am going to keep going over the weekend but if it's not grabbed me by then I guess I'll move on.

I can fully understand why they needed to change things from TF1, but in that I was never thinking "there are no enemies here, where is everyone?" part of this is just not knowing the maps but they do seem to have huge dead zones where nothing happens the majority of the time.

There have been a few times I had to look at the scoreboard as I was convinced half the other team had aborted and they only had 2 players as I couldn't find anyone to shoot, maybe they were just in stealth on a roof.

I even loved TF1 when I was losing, but here the losses feel brutal and when I'm not sure what's going on but have the highest score on the team it's disheartening to know that the other folks on my team are doing even worse than me.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I like the character, but all his comments being based on drinking gets old quickly.
But the only two factions that annoy me are the first two. There's something off with the new model of the female character (Sarah something ?), and Blisk's French dub is terrible, they hired a famous rap singer to do it and his voice is too recognizable (besides he's not that great of a voice actor)

She looks like the lady from the first game that went a little too far with the plastic surgery

splattered

Forced my self to use Volt for a few rounds. Really tried to find some use case for this gun.

My god this gun is bad. There is no redeeming quality as far as I can tell.

Really? I've been using volt for several days now and do pretty decent with it, though I was doing well with the base assault rifle also.

What are considered the best guns in the game?

I tried the alternator and did just absolutely awful with it, lost almost every damn close quarters battle it seemed.

Pretty much all the anti titan weapons I have done OK with, I think the best for me have been the MGL and the Archer.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
This cannot be a serious argument. Respawn didn't consider that cloak would be used with non-sniper weapons? Nobody in their no doubt crazy extensive internal tests experimented with cloak and other weapons? Give me a break, you may as well have just come out and said "Respawn are all a bunch of idiots who can't design videogames!" Ridiculous.

Fine.

"Respawn are all a bunch of idiots who can't design videogames!" Happy now?

Because Another certain Studio has stated as much in the past. "We didn't use this broken shit in our internal playtests because we all work together! Whoops!"

Septic360

Banned
Woke up at 6am this morning to play Titan cause I'm ill. ZERO players in hardpoint.ZERO players doing Last Titan Standing. 80 doing attrition.

I'm in London.

Mind you, the attrition game ranow butterly smooth.

E92 M3

Cloak is fine. I get killed across the map with Hemlocks while cloaked and easily see enemies myself. The main reason I use cloak is so that the AI doesn't shoot me and because I engage Titans often.

For the Volt: I hated it. The gun feels so weird to shoot. Alternator all day, everyday.

Hmmm I didn't realize people like Volt. Why do people use it over the ARs or SMG?

Personally I like Hemlock in the AR class and Alternator in the SMG class. But CAR is very good too.

I play with the Eva8 shotgun when I am bored too. Its a fun gun.

The lvl of my top5 guns currently:

Mag Launcher G4.14
Hemlock G4.6
R201 G2.15
Alternator G2.12
Charge Rifle G2.11
CAR G2.1

Really? I've been using volt for several days now and do pretty decent with it, though I was doing well with the base assault rifle also.

What are considered the best guns in the game?

I tried the alternator and did just absolutely awful with it, lost almost every damn close quarters battle it seemed.

Pretty much all the anti titan weapons I have done OK with, I think the best for me have been the MGL and the Archer.

Best all-rounder I've used so far is CAR. In fact I stopped using it because it was becoming too comfortable and I didn't want to sour my impressions of other weapons.

My main principle is to always try a different loadout every match.

Mupod

Anecdotal evidence but CAR seems to be the most popular gun on PC, at least. Lot of ARs of all kinds too.

Shotguns you see every few matches. The grenadier weapons are very rare and I don't think I've ever been killed by a pistol. The only LMG you ever see is Devotion, I've been hearing those more lately if not seeing them in kill cams.

deoee

Woke up at 6am this morning to play Titan cause I'm ill. ZERO players in hardpoint.ZERO players doing Last Titan Standing. 80 doing attrition.

I'm in London.

Mind you, the attrition game ranow butterly smooth.

Why don't you switch to more populated data centers?

Also its no wonder there's next to no players at that time in EU imo. Even games like lol struggle to matchmake you late night/early morning.

Hmmm I didn't realize people like Volt. Why do people use it over the ARs or SMG?

Personally I like Hemlock in the AR class and Alternator in the SMG class. But CAR is very good too.

I play with the Eva8 shotgun when I am bored too. Its a fun gun.

I use the volt all the time and do quite well with it. I use it over the Hemlock and G2 when I have a loadout created for more close range combat. The only other AR I use is the R201 which has more recoil than the volt. Honestly I think the R201 and the Volt overlap eachother quite a bit as far as their utility goes. They both excel the most at mid range, about 50-200 feet. The 201 has more power per shot but the Volt is more steady by quite a bit. I use it over the CAR because it has more versatility; the CAR is a great weapon but at a certain range it starts to fall off where the volt keeps going strong. Same with the Alternator, arguably better for very close range, but at close-mid they're pretty equal and at mid the volt wins out.

So yeah, if you don't think the volt is good I suggest keeping with it because it's definitely it's own beast. Plus I love the unique energy visual/sound which sets it apart from other smg's and AR's.

E92 M3

Are there any guides which explain exactly regeneration resets and what it grants?

Do you regen you character, guns and titan separately, for example?

Every weapon/Titan has a separate regen - that never resets. When you regen your pilot everything you didn't purchase with merits becomes locked.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Personally I don't see a problem with cloak. Especially since they seemed to have removed the silencer attachments for this game.
Silencers are on the pistols at least.

That seems to be the way people are playing it now. Camping on rooftops, camping in rooms, camping in the flanks. It doesn't help that the way the maps are designed means that if you aren't using a rifle, you're going to get slaughtered trying to cross any kind of open space, which only encourages more camping. I'm hoping there is some change to the meta to shake things up a bit anyway.

When you take a battery, you get a big target painted on your back. Ideally you call in your own Titanfall or if you can, give the battery to a teammate. More likely, you get shot by the Titan you stole it from. lol

That seems to be the way people are playing it now. Camping on rooftops, camping in rooms, camping in the flanks. It doesn't help that the way the maps are designed means that if you aren't using a rifle, you're going to get slaughtered trying to cross any kind of open space, which only encourages more camping. I'm hoping there is some change to the meta to shake things up a bit anyway.

This is where a higher TTK would be beneficial. People say that if you use your wall running skills carefully that you'll be fine, but as it is right now the main lanes are constantly being watched by campers and if you're going to move around a lot you have to run around the back of the map and move in behind everyone. Which is fine, but like I've said before it sort of defeats the purpose of all the maneuverability the game has given to you, or severely minimizes it.

Raise the TTK, more possibility of successful travel in the open, less camping.

Alx

I don't get what the factions do?

As far as I can tell they only change the intro of each match, and the voice on the radio that keeps the score. Otherwise it's just another way to get merits by filling bars.
At the beginning I thought it would be a way to sort players by skill (lower ranked pilots not having access to later factions), but it doesn't seem so. As a matter of fact I'm not sure the other players in your team really share the same faction, sometimes I think I can hear the intro of other characters trough the voice chat.

As far as I can tell they only change the intro of each match, and the voice on the radio that keeps the score. Otherwise it's just another way to get merits by filling bars.
At the beginning I thought it would be a way to sort players by skill (lower ranked pilots not having access to later factions), but it doesn't seem so. As a matter of fact I'm not sure the other players in your team really share the same faction, sometimes I think I can hear the intro of other characters trough the voice chat.

They removed the whole IMC vs. Militia sides that the original game had. It's basically now just random pilots and npc's fighting each other, the factions are "neutral". You can be fighting for the militia side technically, but you are shooting at grunts and such that are wearing Militia colors.

In the first game players were randomly placed on the IMC side or Militia side, and the sides had unique visuals and npcs were unique models for that faction. Now it's all just generic guys fighting each other, the faction you choose simply changes the commander talking to you during a match and the npc you see at start of a match in the drop ship, but each player sees and technically play's for the side they chose, the game doesn't actually have separate factions.

Drewfonse

Aye I really want to like this as well, but it's just not doing it. I am going to keep going over the weekend but if it's not grabbed me by then I guess I'll move on.

I can fully understand why they needed to change things from TF1, but in that I was never thinking "there are no enemies here, where is everyone?" part of this is just not knowing the maps but they do seem to have huge dead zones where nothing happens the majority of the time.

There have been a few times I had to look at the scoreboard as I was convinced half the other team had aborted and they only had 2 players as I couldn't find anyone to shoot, maybe they were just in stealth on a roof.

I even loved TF1 when I was losing, but here the losses feel brutal and when I'm not sure what's going on but have the highest score on the team it's disheartening to know that the other folks on my team are doing even worse than me.

Have you guys tried Bounty Hunt? I only ask because it seems like the most fleshed out MP mode, to me at least.

I routinely am the game's leading scorer, sometimes doubling the next highest player, and I'm nothing special. I might have 6 or 7 kills, but $2500, while the second highest has 17 kills and $1300. I only mention this to illustrate that the mode rewards more than just straight up fragging people. There's a surprising amount of strategy involved.

What Titan are you using? Tone is an excellent all arounder. If you pick and choose your encounters and try to double team people, you can survive for a long time.

Watch some Bounty Hunt videos, it really is amazing.

Pretty sure everyone see their own intro.

Seems like an all encompassing way for people to select their favourite announcer voice in a way. And a way to dole out banners etc.

When you take a battery, you get a big target painted on your back. Ideally you call in your own Titanfall or if you can, give the battery to a teammate. More likely, you get shot by the Titan you stole it from. lol

I have been using the SMG as thats what I used in TF1, I may try an AR as I am constantly losing any long range fire fights. This game has much more long open spaces than the last one so dying at range is quite annoying.

Thanks for the battery clarification, sounds like i'd be better not taking them as mostly I get focused on and killed very quickly.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is where a higher TTK would be beneficial. People say that if you use your wall running skills carefully that you'll be fine, but as it is right now the main lanes are constantly being watched by campers and if you're going to move around a lot you have to run around the back of the map and move in behind everyone. Which is fine, but like I've said before it sort of defeats the purpose of all the maneuverability the game has given to you, or severely minimizes it.

Raise the TTK, more possibility of successful travel in the open, less camping.
Yeah, or maybe find a way to reward movement in some way so that people don't feel like sitting behind A-walls in the first few minutes of Crash Site.

I have been using the SMG as thats what I used in TF1, I may try an AR as I am constantly losing any long range fire fights. This game has much more long open spaces than the last one so dying at range is quite annoying.

Thanks for the battery clarification, sounds like i'd be better not taking them as mostly I get focused on and killed very quickly.
Yeah, the CAR loses at range unless you fire first. You could run and gun with it and the EVA all the time in the old game, but some of the maps in this game don't really allow for that.

Also, you get a bonus to your timer if you pull a battery, so there's that.

Have you guys tried Bounty Hunt? I only ask because it seems like the most fleshed out MP mode, to me at least.

I routinely am the game's leading scorer, sometimes doubling the next highest player, and I'm nothing special. I might have 6 or 7 kills, but $2500, while the second highest has 17 kills and $1300. I only mention this to illustrate that the mode rewards more than just straight up fragging people. There's a surprising amount of strategy involved.

What Titan are you using? Tone is an excellent all arounder. If you pick and choose your encounters and try to double team people, you can survive for a long time.

Watch some Bounty Hunt videos, it really is amazing.

I've not unlocked tone yet, im levelling up very slowly due to being terrible. I am using northstar the now but don't usually last very long.

I think I have been worse in Bounty Hunt than any other mode due to dying too much to really be any help to the overall team bank, when I'm doing well I get a couple of quick deaths and my money is cut down to 1/4 haha

I am trying to play the objectives, I just don't seem to be any good at it here.

Zemm

CAR, Volt, alternator and the R201 all get used by me, it's hard to determine which is best. They all feel good to use and all kill people quickly, job done.

Pretty sure everyone see their own intro.

Seems like an all encompassing way for people to select their favourite announcer voice in a way. And a way to dole out banners etc.

Probably to accommodate all the customization they put in for players, they had to eliminate all the factional fluff. Sucks, really loved how the sides were unique in TF1.

I've not unlocked tone yet, im levelling up very slowly due to being terrible. I am using northstar the now but don't usually last very long.

I think I have been worse in Bounty Hunt than any other mode due to dying too much to really be any help to the overall team bank, when I'm doing well I get a couple of quick deaths and my money is cut down to 1/4 haha

I am trying to play the objectives, I just don't seem to be any good at it here.
I think what helped me was to try everything slowly. There's so much to customize on your load outs, that you can try all kinds of combinations for a while. You could also try Mixtape to get into other game modes. It will help you understand the objectives of each mode better.

They removed the whole IMC vs. Militia sides that the original game had. It's basically now just random pilots and npc's fighting each other, the factions are "neutral". You can be fighting for the militia side technically, but you are shooting at grunts and such that are wearing Militia colors.

In the first game players were randomly placed on the IMC side or Militia side, and the sides had unique visuals and npcs were unique models for that faction. Now it's all just generic guys fighting each other, the faction you choose simply changes the commander talking to you during a match and the npc you see at start of a match in the drop ship, but each player sees and technically play's for the side they chose, the game doesn't actually have separate factions.

This is probably my least favorite thing about the game. They kept the gameplay as good as ever but they changed or removed so much of the background lore, color, and flavor that it just feels so passionless and bland in comparison. I miss the burn cards with their little quotes and world building. I miss the busy battlegrounds of the old levels with their colossal alien creatures hanging out. I miss how the factions actually felt different and would change depending on the level you were playing, and how each level had a "place" in the story of the game that you could actually piece together. Or how the Grunts/Spectres actually had unique animations that would only play on some of them. I miss Pilots having a unique look depending on faction without all the gaudy color schemes and customization.

Like I said, I still love the game and am playing it like crazy but its like in designing the single-player campaign they decided to completely forego all the great visual and background storytelling that went into the multiplayer portion.

Gator86

Personally I don't see a problem with cloak. Especially since they seemed to have removed the silencer attachments for this game.

The problem with cloak is that it's dumb. There's literally no intelligent thought required to use it. There's no risk/reward. The decision tree of a cloak user is "am I cloaked? I should cloak." All other abilities require some thought or skill to use. You need to think to use phase shift. It stops health regen, obscures vision, is predictable, and causes a big visual effect that draws additional attention. A-wall is a giant shoot me billboard that's exceedingly vulnerable to flanking. You can't fucking shoot during grapple which is a death sentence when used wrong. They're cool abilities and balanced well.

Cloak is just a cheesy crutch that has no business in the game as currently designed. It's bad game design and no one should applaud it. I'm hoping they redesign it so it's not just brainless spam, but a tactical choice players are forced to make during the course of gameplay.

I would love to see one, a single, explanation of why cloak isn't a shit ability with zero risk/reward or intelligent thought required for its use. Also, "you can't equip other skills if you use it!" is a not a valid argument as that applies to every video game skill or item ever and demonstrates the same lack of critical thinking that makes cloak suck.

Gator86

How long does the cloak last? I've not used it in multiplayer but in single player it only lasts a few seconds.

If someone uses the perk that lowers cooldowns for skills, which I would guess most people do, it's virtually perpetual. It's completely permanent if they also roll with tactikill and aren't absolute shit at the game.

Greddleok

If someone uses the perk that lowers cooldowns for skills, which I would guess most people do, it's virtually perpetual. It's completely permanent if they also roll with tactikill and aren't absolute shit at the game.

I've not unlocked that perk yet, but having essentially no cool down is ridiculous. You're completely right that there's no choice involved.

If it only lasted a few seconds, I could understand the tactical choices. When do I use it? Can I traverse this open area before it reveals me and I get shot by that titan? etc. If it's just on, then reusable almost instantly, then that sucks.

Top Bottom