• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

lazerfox

I believe I haven't had so much fun in a MP since MW2.

Only problem is, I don't want to switch anything in my class. Stimpack with the CAR is such a great combo. And Tone just wrecks everything.

Played only with that class to LVL30 and still don't want to change anything :)

deoee

KodaRuss

Almost to Gen 10 with Tone. I really love Last Titan Standing but Ill probably branch out more after I hit that with Tone.

So far though LTS, Amped Hardpoint and Bounty Hunt are all really good modes. Attrition is good as well but I think Bounty Hunt is the better mode.

How are the 8v8 modes? I have barely played them.

E92 M3

The problem with cloak is that it's dumb. There's literally no intelligent thought required to use it. There's no risk/reward. The decision tree of a cloak user is "am I cloaked? I should cloak." All other abilities require some thought or skill to use. You need to think to use phase shift. It stops health regen, obscures vision, is predictable, and causes a big visual effect that draws additional attention. A-wall is a giant shoot me billboard that's exceedingly vulnerable to flanking. You can't fucking shoot during grapple which is a death sentence when used wrong. They're cool abilities and balanced well.

Cloak is just a cheesy crutch that has no business in the game as currently designed. It's bad game design and no one should applaud it. I'm hoping they redesign it so it's not just brainless spam, but a tactical choice players are forced to make during the course of gameplay.

I would love to see one, a single, explanation of why cloak isn't a shit ability with zero risk/reward or intelligent thought required for its use. Also, "you can't equip other skills if you use it!" is a not a valid argument as that applies to every video game skill or item ever and demonstrates the same lack of critical thinking that makes cloak suck.

Plenty of thought required to use it - stop being salty. It's very easy to see cloaked pilots and it's best to save it where it will be most beneficial to the battle. Seriously, all of this complaining over nothing. Cloak is a fun ability for the people that enjoy it - let them have it. It existed in the first game as well.

Btw, the biggest disadvantage for cloak is the player model. All other pilots can blend in with bots, but the cloak model is too evident.

Enjoy the game instead of trying to make it worse for other people. So basically, deal with it. I hate the Hemlock and I don't want it nerfed.

--

I use phase embark and tactikill. Phase Embark has saved my life so many times and it makes getting batteries a breeze.

E92 M3

Why do you hate the Hemlock?

One burst kill. Can't even fight back. Gets me legit triggered haha.

It's all good though, I am sure the person using it is having fun - and that's all that matters. I'm not selfish to where I want only my playstyle to be viable.

So far, this game is like MW2 - everything was useful and fun. My biggest nightmare is Titanfall turning into Destiny (everything popular gets nerfed).

Bungie just nerfs everything and makes multiplayer a drag.

Gator86

Plenty of thought required to use it - stop being salty. It's very easy to see cloaked pilots and it's best to save it where it will be most beneficial to the battle. Seriously, all of this complaining over nothing. Cloak is a fun ability for the people that enjoy it - let them have it. It existed in the first game as well.

Btw, the biggest disadvantage for cloak is the player model. All other pilots can blend in with bots, but the cloak model is too evident.

Enjoy the game instead of trying to make it worse for other people. So basically, deal with it. I hate the Hemlock and I don't want it nerfed.

Your arguments are shit beyond "don't nerf stuff because fun!" Hell, even in other games, like Crysis, there are balances for things like invisibility so it requires consideration to use. There, you take extra damage while cloaked so there's an actual risk/reward. It helps you get the drop on people, but if you're discovered, the tables turn and you take increased damage. That's thoughtful. That's good. It's not fire and forget nonsense.

E92 M3

Your arguments are shit beyond "don't nerf stuff because fun!" Hell, even in other games, like Crysis, there are balances for things like invisibility so it requires consideration to use. There, you take extra damage while cloaked so there's an actual risk/reward. It helps you get the drop on people, but if you're discovered, the tables turn and you take increased damage. That's thoughtful. That's good. It's not fire and forget nonsense.

My bad for wanting video games to be about fun! That's all I fucking care about. Don't give one shit about balance if it equates to boring gameplay - plenty of other "serious" shooters that do that. Titanfall is not an esport.

In this game, cloak is visible as daylight to anyone playing. I get shot across the map while cloaked and kill other people cloaked as well. In fact, it's easier to pick off cloaked pilots. Most of the time, I die because I mistake a pilot for a bot.

Btw, Crysis was a boring mp game and that's why it's dead. Mostly everyone that played Titanfall said it was fun as shit. Just like all of their other games were fun as shit. Respawn has always said they are about "feel" first, not balance.

I feel like there's nothing wrong with Respawn simply improving stuff that's not as good rather than nerfing the things that are better. Might get a better reaction out of the community and get people trying those things more too.

tiva

Neo Member
any pc players here know if there's a way to launch the game straight into multiplayer? kinda annoying having to load the game then wait for the multiplayer to load right after

deoee

any pc players here know if there's a way to launch the game straight into multiplayer? kinda annoying having to load the game then wait for the multiplayer to load right after

Nope there isn't but loading the Mp takes like one ms on my end :S

E92 M3

I feel like there's nothing wrong with Respawn simply improving stuff that's not as good rather than nerfing the things that are better. Might get a better reaction out of the community and get people trying those things more too.

Exactly what I want! Make everything interesting (the game is very balanced actually). I'd hate for them to go down the Bungie road of nerfing everything. People have so much disdain for the crucible now compared to how it was 2 years ago.

I think Ronin needs an extra shot in the leadwall and Northstar needs buffing, but otherwise, we're good. I see a ton of variety used between weapons, abilities and Titans.

Gator86

My bad for wanting video games to be about fun! That's all I fucking care about. Don't give one shit about balance if it equates to boring gameplay - plenty of other "serious" shooters that do that. Titanfall is not an esport.

In this game, cloak is visible as daylight to anyone playing. I get shot across the map while cloaked and kill other people cloaked as well. In fact, it's easier to pick off cloaked pilots. Most of the time, I die because I mistake a pilot for a bot.

Btw, Crysis was a boring mp game and that's why it's dead. Mostly everyone that played Titanfall said it was fun as shit. Just like all of their other games were fun as shit. Respawn has always said they are about "feel" first, not balance.

Apparently you're just going to lean into some weird false equivalence between brainless game design and fun. I think asking players to think on their feet and make decisions based on what's occurring in the game is fun. Seeing people set traps with holo pilot is fun. Using a pulse knife to keep people out of an area so you can flank them is clever and fun. A bunch of dudes mashing cloak the second the pre-game timer hits zero is lame.

The Crysis series was a ton of fun, albeit flawed in a lot of ways, and sold better than this game by a wide margin. I find it hilarious population is the argument you're making against that series considering people want the second OT for TF2 to reference the unrelenting tide of people asking whether this low population game is dead yet.

KodaRuss

I hope so but I am sure a Tone nerf is coming.

I think giving her a smaller clip (maybe 8-9) would be a decent change to start.

Ronin needs a slightly larger clip in his gun I believe as well.

Something needs to happen with Northstar but I am not sure what. Maybe a small shield when she is in the air or something.

Regardless all of the Titans can be very very good. I have played against exceptional players with every Titan and Tones can be defeated with good/smart play.

Tone is probably the easiest to pickup and play for new players but as players become more experienced I believe it will even out more.

I played against a premade team that had some very good tactics with Legions/Scorches and Northstars. Basically each Scorch or Legion had a Northstar buddy to keep our entire team back and out of sight with the Northstars while Scorches and Legions kept inching forward with their shields. The basically pinned us down in a corner of the map and destroyed us. We lost that game 3-4 but things are starting to change to the meta.

Gator86

That's an inherently different question though. Is requiring thought or consideration to effectively use an ability a nerf? I don't think I've seen a single person argue phase shift or holo pilot, for examples, are broken or in need of buffs. The issue is whether there's a risk/reward to using something. Take the Hemlock. Sure, you're going to wreck people at long range, but you're helpless up close unless there's a drastic skill gap between the players. That's an important part of balance. There's a risk/reward to using it. Buffs and nerfs are entirely unrelated to whether there are benefits are drawbacks to skills from their intrinsic design.

E92 M3

Apparently you're just going to lean into some weird false equivalence between brainless game design and fun. I think asking players to think on their feet and make decisions based on what's occurring in the game is fun. Seeing people set traps with holo pilot is fun. Using a pulse knife to keep people out of an area so you can flank them is clever and fun. A bunch of dudes mashing cloak the second the pre-game timer hits zero is lame.

The Crysis series was a ton of fun, albeit flawed in a lot of ways, and sold better than this game by a wide margin. I find it hilarious population is the argument you're making against that series considering people want the second OT for TF2 to reference the unrelenting tide of people asking whether this low population game is dead yet.

Sure it sold more because it wasn't sent into the market as a scapegoat, but Titanfall is CONSIDERABLY a better game. Much better game. Mashing cloak when the game starts is useless and waste - let them make their own mistakes. If you don't like cloak don't use it. Use something else, but stop getting mad over an innocuous ability that has the main purpose of being invisible to titans. It truly does nothing to help with hiding from pilots.

I hope so but I am sure a Tone nerf is coming.

I think giving her a smaller clip (maybe 8-9) would be a decent change to start.

Ronin needs a slightly larger clip in his gun I believe as well.

Something needs to happen with Northstar but I am not sure what. Maybe a small shield when she is in the air or something.

Regardless all of the Titans can be very very good. I have played against exceptional players with every Titan and Tones can be defeated with good/smart play.

Tone is probably the easiest to pickup and play for new players but as players become more experienced I believe it will even out more.

I played against a premade team that had some very good tactics with Legions/Scorches and Northstars. Basically each Scorch or Legion had a Northstar buddy to keep our entire team back and out of sight with the Northstars while Scorches and Legions kept inching forward with their shields. The basically pinned us down in a corner of the map and destroyed us. We lost that game 3-4 but things are starting to change to the meta.

Giving her 8-9 shots would make her useless. Just because is popular and easy to use does it not mean is not balanced. Some of the other titans need small buffs and we'll be perfect.

That's an inherently different question though. Is requiring thought or consideration to effectively use an ability a nerf? I don't think I've seen a single person argue phase shift or holo pilot, for examples, are broken or in need of buffs. The issue is whether there's a risk/reward to using something. Take the Hemlock. Sure, you're going to wreck people at long range, but you're helpless up close unless there's a drastic skill gap between the players. That's an important part of balance. There's a risk/reward to using it. Buffs and nerfs are entirely unrelated to whether there are benefits are drawbacks to skills from their intrinsic design.

Hemlock wrecks at all ranges lol. Someone good with the Hemlock is very, very scary. Played against a guy like that yesterday - had to really sweat.

deoee

Giving her 8-9 shots would make her useless. Just because is popular and easy to use does it not mean is not balanced. Some of the other titans need small buffs and we'll be perfect.

Tone is the only low risk high reward Titan tho.
I believe one of her strengths needs to go or be nerfed
Either make the 40 not tracking anymore
remove or change the shield (she's the only one who can stand safely behind it while maintaining dps)
or change the speed and turn radius on the salvo core, so it cant make 180° turns anymore.

something along those lines
Fight the good fight!

Join me, together we will make this OT a better place for our children tomorrow!

Iscariot

Part of the trade off is you don't have stim, phase, or sonar which are arguably much stronger, especially in the hands of good players. Considering tone, sonar, and maphack reveal you regardless of cloak, it seems like less of a big deal imo.

J0dy77

Saw that titanfall 2 is $30 at walmart today for anyone interested in picking it up. I'm on the fence atm, someone push me over the edge. Worth it at $30?

deoee

Saw that titanfall 2 is $30 at walmart today for anyone interested in picking it up. I'm on the fence atm, someone push me over the edge. Worth it at $30?

Do you like fun in your games?

Be warned, every other FPS feels sluggish and slow after you've played this jewel.

E92 M3

Tone is the only low risk high reward Titan tho.
I believe one of her strengths needs to go or be nerfed.
Either make the 40 not tracking anymore, remove or change the shield (she's the only one who can stand safely behind it while maintaining dps) or change the speed and turn radius on the salvo core, so it cant make 180° turns anymore.

Join me, together we will make this OT a better place for our children tomorrow!

Get in her face, she sucks at CQC. Tones are very easy to kill - just require a different approach.

deoee

Get in her face, she sucks at CQC. Tones are very easy to kill - just require a different approach.

We had this yesterday.
In a 1on1 a Tone is okayish but pair her with another Titan or Pilots / Reapers and you're done if you have to assault her.
Even with multiple Titans on your end it's just a chore and not worth running through the Deathzone a Tone can create just so she dashes away once you're close to her.

E92 M3

We had this yesterday.
In a 1on1 a Tone is okayish but pair her with another Titan or Pilots / Reapers and you're done if you have to assault her.
Even with multiple Titans on your end it's just a chore and not worth running through the Deathzone a Tone can create just so she dashes away once you're close to her.

2 good titans will always be deadly. I play this game A LOT and solo - not just talking out of my ass. I worry about Legions much more than Tones. Good Legions are a huge nuisance.

Gator86

Sure it sold more because it wasn't sent into the market as a scapegoat, but Titanfall is CONSIDERABLY a better game. Much better game. Mashing cloak when the game starts is useless and waste - let them make their own mistakes. If you don't like cloak don't use it. Use something else, but stop getting mad over an innocuous ability that has the main purpose of being invisible to titans. It truly does nothing to help with hiding from pilots.

So, tales from your ass and a subjective opinion. Sure, sounds legit. We all have opinions about the game's release, but there's literally nothing to back up that scapegoat shit. I enjoy TF2 a ton as well, but is it CONSIDERABLY better? They have similar metacritic scores and the TF2 sold like shit. Arguing I'm mad, also completely untestable, is irrelevant to whether there's risk/reward to cloak. You have literally no argument. Nothing besides "nuh uh!" and "you're just salty!"

"Buffs, not nerfs!" Surely this won't lead to any kind of power inflation over time. Buffs and nerfs are useful in certain contexts. Poor balancing is not analogous to nerfs only. That's overly silly simplistic and inaccurate. Good game balancing often requires some of both.

Hemlock wrecks at all ranges lol. Someone good with the Hemlock is very, very scary. Played against a guy like that yesterday - had to really sweat.

Yeah, Hemlocks can kill quickly up close as well, but there's significantly more skill required to do so with a lower fire rate weapon, especially versus automatics like the Alternator. The average Hemlock user is probably losing to the average Alternator user in close quarters. Hell, someone who is godly with a sniper could wreck people up close. That doesn't change the fact that there's generally a trade-off to use long-range, lower ROF weapons up close.

Greddleok

I actually agree about Legion. They don't stop. Just constant barrage of damage. If I don't get an effective set up on Legion as Scorch, I'm going to go down.

deoee

I have yet to play against a good Legion.

As Scorch I just hold my Shield (+perk) up and dash into him - he's done in seconds.

You see - Legion has his downside, his weakness: He's slow as a snail while firing. You can engage him rather easily with a good sprint and dash and your shield will actually hold up.
Tone on the other hand does not have such a weakness. When I engage her as Scorch while holding up my shield, I can barely get close enough to lay my traps and can only dream of burning her with my shield.

E92 M3

So, tales from your ass and a subjective opinion. Sure, sounds legit. We all have opinions about the game's release, but there's literally nothing to back up that scapegoat shit. I enjoy TF2 a ton as well, but is it CONSIDERABLY better? They have similar metacritic scores and the TF2 sold like shit. Arguing I'm mad, also completely untestable, is irrelevant to whether there's risk/reward to cloak. You have literally no argument. Nothing besides "nuh uh!" and "you're just salty!"

"Buffs, not nerfs!" Surely this won't lead to any kind of power inflation over time. Buffs and nerfs are useful in certain contexts. Poor balancing is not analogous to nerfs only. That's overly silly simplistic and inaccurate. Good game balancing often requires some of both.

Yeah, Hemlocks can kill quickly up close as well, but there's significantly more skill required to do so with a lower fire rate weapon, especially versus automatics like the Alternator. The average Hemlock user is probably losing to the average Alternator user in close quarters. Hell, someone who is godly with a sniper could wreck people up close. That doesn't change the fact that there's generally a trade-off to use long-range, lower ROF weapons up close.

I don't really care about metacritic, and yes everything I say is OPINION. Neither you or I have access to Respawn's metrics about the game. Everything we say is opinion. And yes, my argument basically boils down to it's a fun ability that is useful against titans and stopping bots from shooting at you. Nothing more to say. My metric is simple: does X, Y and Z feel good/fun? If so, I am happy. Everything is fairly balanced but a couple things could use a buff. Not calling for drastic changes.

You cannot, with a straight face, tell me that EA was smart with Titanfall's launch date? The game is growing every day, but the fans are fighting for it. If Titanfall was given more room to breathe the numbers would have been dramatically different.

SwolBro

Banned
simple tone fix would be to decrease the 40 rate of fire a little and take away the sonar pulses ability to paint targets.

boom tone is fixed.

Gator86

I have yet to play against a good Legion.

As Scorch I just hold my Shield (+perk) up and dash into him - he's done in seconds.

You see - Legion has his downside, his weakness: He's slow as a snail while firing. You can engage him rather easily with a good sprint and dash.
Tone on the other hand does not have such a weakness.

Oh man, those are terrible Legions. As a Legion, I've never let a Scorch get within dash and flame shield range. You're totally right though. Legion has severe flaws. He's slow as shit and basically only have straight line fire. Once his shield is up, on console, if he's in range mode, he can't even fucking turn. He's almost literally a statue. If you stand directly in front of him, you deserve what's happening to you.

Tone's weakness is poor user play. You have terrific mobility, a shield that completely closes off one of your sides, a huge plus for these laned maps, and a fucking map hack so you can't be flanked. If you get cornered and trapped in close quarters, it's because you played badly or came up against a coordinated team who should win because that's the entire point of the game. Even if a Ronin somehow closes in you, he should take damage coming in and lose almost all of his health during the exchange up close unless, once again, you fucked up and played badly.

Well, I mean, in that case let me be the first to say that holo pilot and phase shift need a buff, then. Because at present I've seen very little effective use of them. There's no great risk in using holo pilot, for example, but there's also barely fuck all reward in doing so either. I don't generally mind how a lot of the weapons are balanced save for the LMGs, the first two of which I think do need a slight buff.

LowSignal

So far I'm still not loving the battery and I hope the adjust it somehow. I'd like to see Tone get toned down a bit but i'm not sure how, auto aim on pilots needs to get nerfed for sure. Other than crash site I like the maps and really loving the game.

Went to buffalo wild wings last night and they gave me a stack of coliseum and titan nose art codes so that was cool. Any ideas what's the most efficient way to share them?

E92 M3

Tone has divided this community too much hahah. Let's focus on making cool gifs and clips - what Titanfall is really about.

Greddleok

Maybe I'm doing it wrong, how close do you have to be with Scorch to damage with the shield? I never feel like the shield does much damage at all.

deoee

So far I'm still not loving the battery and I hope the adjust it somehow. I'd like to see Tone get toned down a bit but i'm not sure how, auto aim on pilots needs to get nerfed for sure. Other than crash site I like the maps and really loving the game.

Went to buffalo wild wings last night and they gave me a stack of coliseum and titan nose art codes so that was cool. Any ideas what's the most efficient way to share them?

Lay them down and take a picture maybe?

Gator86

Well, I mean, in that case let me be the first to say that holo pilot and phase shift need a buff, then. Because at present I've seen very little effective use of them. There's no great risk in using holo pilot, for example, but there's also barely fuck all reward in doing so either.

My friend, phase shift is life. Use it and learn happiness. Used poorly, it is fucking useless and a death sentence. Used well, and you're a nigh unkillable demon capable of dominating titans and pilots alike.

E92 M3

Props to anyone that knows how to use phase shift well. I am complete shit with it.

Phase shift is like Zero Shift (Zone of Enders) in FPS form - very cool.

My friend, phase shift is life. Use it and learn happiness. Used poorly, it is fucking useless and a death sentence. Used well, and you're a nigh unkillable demon capable of dominating titans and pilots alike.

I have more issues with holo pilot for sure. Phase shift I've gotten better with tho.

Top Bottom