• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

T-0800

∀ Narayan;224631603 said:
How are player numbers on consoles? It's absolutely abysmal on PC. I really hope it improves over time. I don't want this game to die. :(

I was playing about an hour ago and there were 6000 on PS4. My guess is that the game is going to struggle. Only 100 only in my region and who knows how long that will last.

I really dislike how all the maps look so similar. I'm not sure exactly in what way but nothing really stands out as different. Fun gameplay but I can't see myself playing it regularly.

I played a bit more last night changing guns to the LSTAR and i'm enjoying it a bit more now, I still think you die far too often at long range, for a game that's all about movement the amount of times i'm shot from miles away in a split second is pretty depressing.

The population is a bit of a worry, I can see it going the way of TF1 where 2 or 3 playlists are playable and the rest is dead, I didn't even notice there was 3 other modes on the second page of modes until last night, I tried them all this morning but they all had 0 players. I know it was 8am on a weekday but for modes to already have 0 players only weeks after release is quite worrying.

Greddleok

One of the best (and possibly most surprising) things about this game is, no, it really doesn't.

Isn't the only difference a few credits or level up chips? I really don't know.
W/L stats be damned, it's the most liberated I've felt playing a competitive online game (let alone FPS) in ages.

Yup. It's all about personal success. Being on the losing side doesn't matter to me if I do well and have good time.

ZehDon

... Executions for Pilots are done by holding melee not pressing. :)...
Haha thanks, but that's not what I meant. It doesn't seem to register melee hits or acknowledge executions correctly? I'm swinging like a peak Muhammad Ali, and it seems like nothing connects. Executions - particularly Titan executions - just do not seem to start. It's like I'm just not holding the button down. Might just be me, though.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If you evacuate then you'd probably get the same number of merits as for winning.

Wow, that's awesome. Epilogue is a great way to end matches in general, but I had no idea the result had that much impact on a player's personal growth.

Yup. It's all about personal success. Being on the losing side doesn't matter to me if I do well and have good time.

Totally. I feel like I have a good time regardless. There's always the odd match when I don't perform so consistently, but almost every game I'm chuckling like a fool and saving footage.

Loving this game so much. Campaign was awesome, will go back for the pilot helmets.

I love multiplayer and honestly im ok with most maps, dont share the feeling that they are that bad.

Its one of those games that is a kids dream come true. Im 37 now, if growing uup as a kid i knew one day i would get such a cool game with robots and mechs... I wouldn't believe. So good.

Ps- Gundam dlc please

Macrotus

I'm not sure about US and EU PS stores, but I just received a 43% discount code on the JPN PS store for this game.
I guess majority of gamers here bought BF1 instead of TF2.

I'm preparing my body for Final Fantasy 15, but now I'm tempted to buy TF2 too lol

Zemm

One of the best (and possibly most surprising) things about this game is, no, it really doesn't.

W/L stats be damned, it's the most liberated I've felt playing a competitive online game (let alone FPS) in ages.

This is how I feel too, I kind of don't want them to add stats in the next patch, but also kind of do.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Does it really matter if you win or lose?
For ranking up your faction I guess, particularly since the only other option is escaping and that can be a wash if the other team is dominating.

Also, I still hate cloaking. They need to do something so you can't use it forever, because it just feels cheap in a game where the first to shoot always wins.

Edit - and if they nerf cloak, hopefully people move to Stim, which would at least make the game less campy.

Alx

Cloaking doesn't last forever, like other abilities it's only active for some time, and then you need to wait for it to load again.
It was my default abilitiy since TF1, but now with all other abilities it feels more like training wheels. It makes you feel safer when you run out in the open, but you quickly realize it's more of a placebo effect.

For ranking up your faction I guess, particularly since the only other option is escaping and that can be a wash if the other team is dominating.

Also, I still hate cloaking. They need to do something so you can't use it forever, because it just feels cheap in a game where the first to shoot always wins.

Edit - and if they nerf cloak, hopefully people move to Stim, which would at least make the game less campy.

Less campy? This is the least campy game I've ever played. Has the definition of camping now changed so completely that it means any player that doesn't get all their kills exclusively whilst wall-running or 360 no-scoping?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Cloaking doesn't last forever, like other abilities it's only active for some time, and then you need to wait for it to load again.
It was my default abilitiy since TF1, but now with all other abilities it feels more like training wheels. It makes you feel safer when you run out in the open, but you quickly realize it's more of a placebo effect.
I have no idea how much that tac-kill thing reduces it, since I never use cloak... but I have to imagine a good player can keep it up indefinitely.

Less campy? This is the least campy game I've ever played. Has the definition of camping now changed so completely that it means any player that doesn't get all their kills exclusively whilst wall-running or 360 no-scoping?
It depends on the map, but on maps like Homestead or basically anything with buildings with clear lines of sight, it's camp city. Even in the smaller maps, I see people cloak camp corners all the time. I should record games, because I've seen cloaked roof campers in the last 5 games I played.

I know you can technically see them when cloaked, but maybe I'm just too old that by the time I acquire them I'm usually dead. The only exception is if I'm running shotgun and just hold down the trigger and pray to kill them first. But that only applies if they are rush-cloaking.

I was playing about an hour ago and there were 6000 on PS4. My guess is that the game is going to struggle. Only 100 only in my region and who knows how long that will last.

I really dislike how all the maps look so similar. I'm not sure exactly in what way but nothing really stands out as different. Fun gameplay but I can't see myself playing it regularly.

It's was early morning in Europe, and past midnight in the US. What do you expect? It's common for most video games player counts to drop by at least 75% during these hours. 6,000 players is by no means difficult to find a game, even during the games most off-peak period.

You're also not limited to only those within your region. Most games will shift region for you once it can't find a game, this game doesn't and you have to do it manually, but the moment that a game like Call of Duty places me against a French group of players I don't assume that the game is dead. They should probably hide the regionalised matchmaking numbers in this game, honestly.

Zemm

I was shocked with how much camping there was in the PS4 version compared to the PC when I started playing on that, people don't move around as much and keep ADS up along corridors just hoping someone comes through. It happens sometimes on PC but people use the movement way more there.

3DShovel

I was shocked with how much camping there was in the PS4 version compared to the PC when I started playing on that, people don't move around as much and keep ADS up along corridors just hoping someone comes through. It happens sometimes on PC but people use the movement way more there.
Honestly I don't think I've ever been killed by a single camper more than a single time. Usually I'd die, then just rush to that part of the map and dominate them.

It's even better when they go back to that same spot thereafter.

Greddleok

But even then...does ranking your faction up matter? You don't get anything game breaking from doing that. Just nice little bonuses.

I am starting to slide into Titanfall being the game I play when Overwatch ranked has me stressed out. There are no stakes in Titanfall, and I love it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
But even then...does ranking your faction up matter? You don't get anything game breaking from doing that. Just nice little bonuses.

I am starting to slide into Titanfall being the game I play when Overwatch ranked has me stressed out. There are no stakes in Titanfall, and I love it.
I guess if you want to collect all the banners. lol
I got one of the prism ones with the pinup girl, so I guess I'm done.

I have no idea how much that tac-kill thing reduces it, since I never use cloak... but I have to imagine a good player can keep it up indefinitely.

It depends on the map, but on maps like Homestead or basically anything with buildings with clear lines of sight, it's camp city. Even in the smaller maps, I see people cloak camp corners all the time. I should record games, because I've seen cloaked roof campers in the last 5 games I played.

I know you can technically see them when cloaked, but maybe I'm just too old that by the time I acquire them I'm usually dead. The only exception is if I'm running shotgun and just hold down the trigger and pray to kill them first. But that only applies if they are rush-cloaking.

Huh, sounds like a very different game on consoles in that case.

That or it happens much less in Attrition maybe?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Huh, sounds like a very different game on consoles in that case.

That or it happens much less in Attrition maybe?
I only play Attrition and Pilot vs Pilot (and LTS if I can find a group) and in those modes camping happens if the map accommodates it. I've resorted to doing it myself, but with A-wall and G2 now, because on some of the wider maps there is simply no good way to traverse the lanes which means slowly trudging across the maps in a giant circle.

I assume it's different on PC because you can skate much easier, but for better or for worse, the fact that you can't speed across maps means that people feel free to set up wait for people to come to them.

I've been having the most success running around hacking pilots and bots with my Ronin like a madman. Ronin really is Anti-personnel.

Somehow I also manage to flank more Titans in Attrition than in LTS.

It's very unlikely that player number will improve in a significant way.

Excellent support will do it. And it is already free/without season pass. Word of mouth is already very positive. And PC players tend to stick to games longer than console ones. Rainbow 6 did great and is getting another year of support. And by support I mean major content.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
And PC players tend to stick to games longer than console ones.

Except the PC base for the first one completely collapsed by the time they started to pump out content. So... *shrug* They need to put out a roadmap, badly.

Sick of those comments about player population on PC and such. I can still find matches in 20 to 30 seconds on PC in the Virginia Data Centers and that's all that matters for now.

Excellent support will do it. And it is already free/without season pass. Word of mouth is already very positive. And PC players tend to stick to games longer than console ones. Rainbow 6 did great and is getting another year of support. And by support I mean major content.

Player base numbers isn't going to change alot. What is more important is the game hold a playerbase and community to give it longevity. Rainbow 6 built a loyal player base, it's small, but it has a community that keeps it going. Titanfall 2 hopefully can do the same.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Except the PC base for the first one completely collapsed by the time they started to pump out content. So... *shrug* They need to put out a roadmap, badly.
The map packs didn't help.

I think the game with be playable - TF1 has a couple of thousand people and if you want Attrition or Co-op, you can find games. I assume TF2 will be the same way, which is fine.

I picked it up second time around for PS4. Finding a game feels as though it takes a little bit longer than when playing TF1 but that could just be my fondness for TF1 clouding how it used to be.

I think the community we have now is the community we are going to keep. I just hope it is Rainbow 6 strong thats all I ask for.

It's was early morning in Europe, and past midnight in the US. What do you expect? It's common for most video games player counts to drop by at least 75% during these hours. 6,000 players is by no means difficult to find a game, even during the games most off-peak period.

You're also not limited to only those within your region. Most games will shift region for you once it can't find a game, this game doesn't and you have to do it manually, but the moment that a game like Call of Duty places me against a French group of players I don't assume that the game is dead. They should probably hide the regionalised matchmaking numbers in this game, honestly.

I was on at that time and I could only play attrition or bounty hunt, matchmaking in other modes took ages as there were only around 30 players in them and some modes had 0 people playing. ZERO.

I do agree the regionalised numbers should be hidden, when I see it trying to match me in a pool of 240 players at peak time, it looks worrying for a month or two months from now.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Yeah, I agree. It's amazing how empowering it is when everything clicks.

∀ Narayan;224631603 said:
How are player numbers on consoles? It's absolutely abysmal on PC. I really hope it improves over time. I don't want this game to die. :(

Not bad on PS4 at least. Usually at 12-15K on weekdays, with weekends hovering at 18K-20K,

It's very unlikely that player number will improve in a significant way.

Why? Black Friday should help. Christmas and end of year awards should help as well.

I'm not sure about US and EU PS stores, but I just received a 43% discount code on the JPN PS store for this game.
I guess majority of gamers here bought BF1 instead of TF2.

I'm preparing my body for Final Fantasy 15, but now I'm tempted to buy TF2 too lol

Lots of people bought BF1 since it's a good game. Both are. :) BF1 has the added benefit of being a familiar franchise and a hardcore player base already set.

Yep. Agreed. But if Respawn does it now, people would be, "OMG! Gaem is ded!1 Respawn hiding playuer counts1!" or something. I wonder what would happen if Respawn puts in artificial numbers and whether people would care or not.

Long story short for player count (at least on PS4):
Afternoon to evenings US time is good (12-15K and up), twilight hours drop down to less than 10K but depends. Game modes like Attrition and Bounty Hunt are easy to get into (can't say for the rest since I don't play those).

Yep. Annoying thing is, TF3 will have the same people saying the same things. I mean, you know, instead of just enjoying or buying a game since it's fun. Respawn should make a boots to the ground MP game and then go back to TF3 so that people just realize what they're missing and all that.

Worse bit is how some people are all doom 'n' gloom every time as if they know the player population of every game on every platform at every hour of the day. Even sales. We don't know how many it sold, but some think it's super abysmal even if there's no proof. And basing it (sales) on UK sales which only tracked physical for two days, isn't a good measuring stick. Ditto with an analyst report that lowered its estimates from 5-7m from 9m. (Those wondering, Activision PR has not sent out an email on how well Infinite Warfare did, which never happens. Usually a press email on how X CoD earned in 24 hours or for the week, is sent out. First time in recent memory this hasn't happened).

What's even weird here is how games like Dishonored, BioShock, etc. are considered a success if they sell 2-4m, but a game like TF1 or TF2 is considered a failure if they sell the same or more, even if the other games' budget are bigger. I've said it repeatedly, but I know for a fact that TF2 didn't cost as much as a CoD game to make. Respawn isn't a studio with hundreds of employees.

X-Frame

I can't decide between Bumper Jumper and Evolved.

Evolved moves crouch to R3 which is useful for moving around but it moves melee to Circle which sucks.

Bumper Jumper is perfect for me when a Pilot but then in a Titan it sucks for using the Tactical ability on X which is the Shields for Ion and Scorch, meaning I can't use them and move around.

I'm not sure which is more important.

dankir

My best round of attrition ever and it was on Crash Site last nite. I love that map :) Was able to to flank the entire enemy team towards the bottom of the map where the usual epilogue escape takes place by all the buildings/trailers.

Came out at the cave to the left of everybody + smart core = wrecking shit.

Screenshot-Original.png

Peek-a-boo!
http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/II DINX II/video/23571766

Anyone from Respawn reading this, i'd like to know what the general feeling is like in the studio releasing this game when it did.

Are you guy's upset or will it all be fine?
I hope for he best off course since i absolutely love every game you guy's have made, going as far as allied assault.

Evolved moves crouch to R3 which is useful for moving around but it moves melee to Circle which sucks.

Bumper Jumper is perfect for me when a Pilot but then in a Titan it sucks for using the Tactical ability on X which is the Shields for Ion and Scorch, meaning I can't use them and move around.

Evolved is the way imo, you transition from jump to slide or wallrun to slide or the other way around way more often, i couldn't change anymore.

Calderc

Evolved, then map R3 to R1.

There's a Bumper Jumper Pilot Only option. I personally use Evolved because it's impossible to air strafe without an elite controller or doing the claw.

deoee

Yeah, I agree. It's amazing how empowering it is when everything clicks.

Not bad on PS4 at least. Usually at 12-15K on weekdays, with weekends hovering at 18K-20K,

Why? Black Friday should help. Christmas and end of year awards should help as well.

Lots of people bought BF1 since it's a good game. Both are. :) BF1 has the added benefit of being a familiar franchise and a hardcore player base already set.

Yep. Agreed. But if Respawn does it now, people would be, "OMG! Gaem is ded!1 Respawn hiding playuer counts1!" or something. I wonder what would happen if Respawn puts in artificial numbers and whether people would care or not.

Long story short for player count (at least on PS4):
Afternoon to evenings US time is good (12-15K and up), twilight hours drop down to less than 10K but depends. Game modes like Attrition and Bounty Hunt are easy to get into (can't say for the rest since I don't play those).

Yep. Annoying thing is, TF3 will have the same people saying the same things. I mean, you know, instead of just enjoying or buying a game since it's fun. Respawn should make a boots to the ground MP game and then go back to TF3 so that people just realize what they're missing and all that.

Worse bit is how some people are all doom 'n' gloom every time as if they know the player population of every game on every platform at every hour of the day. Even sales. We don't know how many it sold, but some think it's super abysmal even if there's no proof. And basing it (sales) on UK sales which only tracked physical for two days, isn't a good measuring stick. Ditto with an analyst report that lowered its estimates from 5-7m from 9m. (Those wondering, Activision PR has not sent out an email on how well Infinite Warfare did, which never happens. Usually a press email on how X CoD earned in 24 hours or for the week, is sent out. First time in recent memory this hasn't happened).

What's even weird here is how games like Dishonored, BioShock, etc. are considered a success if they sell 2-4m, but a game like TF1 or TF2 is considered a failure if they sell the same or more, even if the other games' budget are bigger. I've said it repeatedly, but I know for a fact that TF2 didn't cost as much as a CoD game to make. Respawn isn't a studio with hundreds of employees.

You are correct, but there is nothing that can be done.
People will keep to worry about things they don't have to and then conclude "I'm not gonna buy this game because there is only 5000 people playing!!!!!!!!!!!1111111"

Sick of those comments about player population on PC and such. I can still find matches in 20 to 30 seconds on PC in the Virginia Data Centers and that's all that matters for now.

Yeah but what mode? Finding just any old game is great and all but not when it means playing modes you'd rather not play.

I've already noticed a night or two (on xbox) where it took a decent amount of time to find a ctf match. I'm assuming Attrition doesn't have this issue... But I'd probably play the game less if it meant Attrition was all I could play.

X-Frame

Evolved is the way imo, you transition from jump to slide or wallrun to slide or the other way around way more often, i couldn't change anymore.

How often are you going to be using melee anyway? Use Evolved.

Evolved, then map R3 to R1.

There's a Bumper Jumper Pilot Only option. I personally use Evolved because it's impossible to air strafe without an elite controller or doing the claw.

Thanks guys, you all make good points. I'll stick with Evolved.

I know is totally anecdotal, but i´m from Spain, i play in the London data center, and i´m starting to find games where i´m playing with russian players, i mostly play bounty hunter and attrition so i´m not having trouble finding matches.
i play mostly in the morning and night times and i´m on pc, hope more people buy the game because is really fun, and despite the fact that i´m not very good at it i´m having a great time nonetheless

Anyone from Respawn reading this, i'd like to know what the general feeling is like in the studio releasing this game when it did.

Are you guy's upset or will it all be fine?
I hope for he best off course since i absolutely love every game you guy's have made, going as far as allied assault.

They're making a star wars game and EA has already committed themselves to the TF franchise. They're going to be perfectly fine.

Have to agree. Not to mention, campers are easy targets in this game. Love it when they are on the roofs in homestead since they are so easy to kill. Sitting ducks really.

Not getting all the cloak hate, either. I use most of the pilot classes and find a good phase shift or stim user much harder to kill. I use cloak a lot on certain maps and will agree that it lasts, maybe, a tad too long. Does anyone know how long it's active for?

deoee

I also started using the random ability card thingy and it's fun not knowing what to expect :D
Early Smart Pistol or extra battery is awesome tho.

Btw. it's time for my daily OT title rant.
Why the heck do we have to keep this ugly title?
No wonder the players vanish from this game >_>

Ghazi

Playing on controller doesn't allow you to easily parkour, aim, and fire at the same time in a comfortable manner like m/kb does. Which is why I believe the PC version is far superior, regardless of player population, it just plays better.

Zemm

Playing on controller doesn't allow you to easily parkour, aim, and fire and the same time in a comfortable manner like m/kb does. Which is why I believe the PC version is far superior, regardless of player population, it just plays better.

You're not wrong. The FOV is also way smaller (assuming you use 90 on PC) which doesn't help. The FOV is actually the hardest thing for me to deal with when I switch to the PS4.

Cathcart

So I've got a few friends on the fence about buying this even though I've given it a really solid recommendation. I think one big reason they hesitated was that Walmart was selling the game for 30 dollars this week but the PS Store is still full price. So they want to buy it digital but they feel like they are paying too much if the physical copy is less. Whatever.

Anyway, my question is do we think this will see a sale on the PS Store anytime soon or is it only physical copies for Black Friday sales that will see a cut?

Top Bottom