• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
|OT2| Cloak and (Pulse) Dagger
|OT2| Tone Deaf
|OT2| Smarter Than Your Average Core
|OT2| Ions, and Ronins, and Scorch! Oh My!

Really scraping the barrel here, lol. Edits to the last one in particular are welcome!

Edit:
|OT2| Map Hack The Exoplanet
Hah! I like this one.

duxstar

The thing that kills me is the scoring system for killing titans, ive had games where ive done all the damage to a titan and then a teammate comes along and gets the +10 score.

So frustrating. Im also in the middle of upgrading the kraber so i can get the smiley face patch, some maps i can dominate and others i get 2 kills all map.

Last titan Standing and ctf are my favorite modes and have so few people

The thing that kills me is the scoring system for killing titans, ive had games where ive done all the damage to a titan and then a teammate comes along and gets the +10 score.

So frustrating. Im also in the middle of upgrading the kraber so i can get the smiley face patch, some maps i can dominate and others i get 2 kills all map.

Happens to me all the times as Northstar and I hate it. Flight core doesn't reliably close the deal either

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Yep, they need to sort the scoring system. They should do something close to what Battlefield is doing and awarding kills for damage done 80 plus and above, or have 80 points added if you did 80/100 damage, etc.

I've had multiple instances of Pilots and Titans being killstealed.

Also, I just played a round of Attrition and one teammate scored SEVEN friggin' points the entire match! Fuck me. I don't even know how that's possible.

In TF1 there were points for dooming the titan, points for finishing the titan, and points for assisting on titans.

It would be great to have that back, but honestly I just want Titan Assists tracked. I feel like I get 10 a match.

I finally played my first 2 multiplayer matches yesterday! I really love the feeling of movement and the general speed.

That said, what the fuck is wrong with modern fps post match screens? How many hours will I have to play before I can understand all the different splash screens with stats and unlocks and whether they are relevant to the gear I have currently equipped? Too much info if you ask me.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I finally played my first 2 multiplayer matches yesterday! I really love the feeling of movement and the general speed.

That said, what the fuck is wrong with modern fps post match screens? How many hours will I have to play before I can understand all the different splash screens with stats and unlocks and whether they are relevant to the gear I have currently equipped? Too much info if you ask me.

Yeah, all the unlocks mean this: grind.

Get kills/points - class rank up and faction rank up. Kills with weapon - weapon rank up. Kills with Titan - Titan rank up.

Basically, you've got 100 bars to fill and you do it by using things in game.

It's a much worse system than the original game which focused more on feats or skillful play rather than a huge grind.

Zemm

I actually understood the systems for leveling really quickly, it's pretty intuitive. I still have no real idea how the scoring works in Amped hardpoint though.

I actually understood the systems for leveling really quickly, it's pretty intuitive. I still have no real idea how the scoring works in Amped hardpoint though.

When you capture a point, it feeds you points every few seconds. When you capture it again to amp it, it feeds you double the points every few seconds. ie, amping one hardpoint will give you the same number of points as capturing two un-amped hardpoints.

Is that what you meant?

Yeah, all the unlocks mean this: grind.

Get kills/points - class rank up and faction rank up. Kills with weapon - weapon rank up. Kills with Titan - Titan rank up.

Basically, you've got 100 bars to fill and you do it by using things in game.

It's a much worse system than the original game which focused more on feats or skillful play rather than a huge grind.

Agreed, but fans and media complained 'waaaaaaah, there's not enough carrots on sticks for me to chase!'.

Never mind that every weapon and ability had a useful place in the sandbox. Now I have 5 guns of every type, of which I'll only ever use 3 tops. Hoo. Ray.

In TF1 there were points for dooming the titan, points for finishing the titan, and points for assisting on titans.

It would be great to have that back, but honestly I just want Titan Assists tracked. I feel like I get 10 a match.

Yeah this would be nice. Stats/rewards that acknowledge teamwork tend to have a net benefit in terms of inspiring players to work together more.

Alx

Happens to me all the times as Northstar and I hate it. Flight core doesn't reliably close the deal either

To be fair Northstar is good at "stealing" kills too, a fully charged plasma shot can easily finish a titan getting attacked by a teammate half the map away.
In the end it's still points for the team. I see Northstar more as a support titan anyway, keeping away from danger, destroying shields and hacking on titans busy fighting each other.

SwolBro

Banned
the cloak needs a nerf. it's too powerful in pilot vs pilot. on some maps it's the only thing people will run soon as they discover the meta.

duxstar

the cloak needs a nerf. it's too powerful in pilot vs pilot. on some maps it's the only thing people will run soon as they discover the meta.

Cloak is super powerful in every mode.

If i was playing for wins and not grinding weapons i would Always choose Cloak + CAR OR devotion, and run tone as my titan

frothy put up his tier list on pretty much everything outside of nades, Outside of his placement of ion and grenadier weapons i at least agree on the ones I've used. Didnt know that certain tacticals were banned in the first competitive tournament. Guess no boosts right now b/c they're all banned from competitive tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DcNp0Y-4Y

frothy put up his tier list on pretty much everything outside of nades, Outside of his placement of ion and grenadier weapons i at least agree on the ones I've used. Didnt know that certain tacticals were banned in the first competitive tournament. Guess no boosts right now b/c they're all banned from competitive tournament

I'm not even remotely surprised at those boosts being banned in comps.

GlamFM

Banned
Finally finished the campaign - indeed amazing.

Best FPS campaign since Metro LL.

I wish it had NG+
with that amazing tracking pistol you get at the end.

leng jai

Cross posting from the other thread:

This thread basically changed my perspective from pleasantly surprised to mildly disappointed. For me Titanfall 2 falls into the category of solid game that has been overrated due to being a departure from the norm.

I can definitely see where people in thread are coming from, I just don't agree with the premise that the game really executes its ideas well enough to be labelled as incredible or "amazing". I can appreciate the idea behind the platforming and movement mechanics but I don't think they did enough to properly integrate it into actual combat. I mean you could probably go out of your way to mesh them together constantly but it's not tightly woven into the level design by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the time combat and platforming felt like two separate games. Conceptually speaking the
factory
level was cool but actually playing it felt like a chore up until the last part. The clear stand out was the
time travel
level which was quite brilliant. The way that particular mechanic was seamlessly activated and integrated within the actual gameplay was amazing. I'd go so far as to say the entire game should have been designed around that premise.

Again, Titans in theory are incredibly cool but the way they are implemented here is okay at best. It's not exactly hard to make them fun to play, they're mechs with gigantic weapons. Watching the grunts run straight for you only to die in droves with 2 seconds was pretty daft as well. Finally we have a FPS that had the potential for good boss fights but they somehow ended up feeling like one of the weaker aspects of the game. None of them were particularly hard or even interesting, and the tacked on "personalities" of each boss were pretty dire. The characters in general are basically non-existent and the story is just there (which for some people is a good thing). The Titan to player relationship was another fail for me - BT's dry delivery and literal commentary were a constant annoyance. The game length was relatively short which is normally fine, but I found the first 2 hours quite bland. When the entire experience is only about 6 hours long, that's one third that's not particularly good. The unskippable credits were another minor annoyance, especially when half of it just giving cheesy introductions to characters they spent 2 seconds on in the actual game.

The foundation and core mechanics of the game are very good. Gunplay is tight and all the weapons sound/feel great. This feels like a game which could have a potentially incredible sequel, but as it stands right now it's merely good.

SwolBro

Banned
I'm not even remotely surprised at those boosts being banned in comps.

The current pc 5v5 CTF rules limit 3 titans dropped per team at one time because there's currently no setting to adjust titan drop time. 2 tones and 1 legion per team. Volt is banned. Phase shift is allowed but no phase shifting with flag. They just reintroduced Cloak, it was previously banned. It probably should be banned though. No boosts.

This thread basically changed my perspective from pleasantly surprised to mildly disappointed. For me Titanfall 2 falls into the category of solid game that has been overrated due to being a departure from the norm.

I can definitely see where people in thread are coming from, I just don't agree with the premise that the game really executes its ideas well enough to be labelled as incredible or "amazing". I can appreciate the idea behind the platforming and movement mechanics but I don't think they did enough to properly integrate it into actual combat. I mean you could probably go out of your way to mesh them together constantly but it's not tightly woven into the level design by any stretch of the imagination. Most of the time combat and platforming felt like two separate games. Conceptually speaking the
factory
level was cool but actually playing it felt like a chore up until the last part. The clear stand out was the
time travel
level which was quite brilliant. The way that particular mechanic was seamlessly activated and integrated within the actual gameplay was amazing. I'd go so far as to say the entire game should have been designed around that premise.

Again, Titans in theory are incredibly cool but the way they are implemented here is okay at best. It's not exactly hard to make them fun to play, they're mechs with gigantic weapons. Watching the grunts run straight for you only to die in droves with 2 seconds was pretty daft as well. Finally we have a FPS that had the potential for good boss fights but they somehow ended up feeling like one of the weaker aspects of the game. None of them were particularly hard or even interesting, and the tacked on "personalities" of each boss were pretty dire. The characters in general are basically non-existent and the story is just there (which for some people is a good thing). The Titan to player relationship was another fail for me - BT's dry delivery and literal commentary were a constant annoyance. The game length was relatively short which is normally fine, but I found the first 2 hours quite bland. When the entire experience is only about 6 hours long, that's one third that's not particularly good. The unskippable credits were another minor annoyance, especially when half of it just giving cheesy introductions to characters they spent 2 seconds on in the actual game.

The foundation and core mechanics of the game are very good. Gunplay is tight and all the weapons sound/feel great. This feels like a game which could have a potentially incredible sequel, but as it stands right now it's merely good.

I think A LOT of people in this thread would disagree with you.

The current pc 5v5 CTF rules limit 3 titans dropped per team at one time because there's currently no setting to adjust titan drop time. 2 tones and 1 legion per team. Volt is banned. Phase shift is allowed but no phase shifting with flag. They just reintroduced Cloak, it was previously banned. It probably should be banned though. No boosts.

Did any tournament experiment with even less Titan drops or even no Titans?

KodaRuss

Do people even read stuff or just the headline? Here's what Zampella said (complete context).

In short: Zampella commented that "fuck" thing regarding EA's vague PR-laced answer regarding future Titanfall games. He wasn't saying fuck EA, or anything of the sort.

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/qa-titanfall-2-creator-on-what-makes-a-great-shooter-w450709

Here is more context from the interview.

You've referred to Call of Duty as "your baby." Is it weird to have Titanfall 2 come out so close to the remastering of Modern Warfare?

It definitely feels a little odd. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare is from my old studio, that I built. And they're repackaging my old game that I built, on a brand that I built. So it's kind of like you're throwing it all against me. OK, I can live with it.

On top of that, Titanfall 2 was released right after Battlefield 1, a historical military shooter, which is a genre you helped pioneer.

If the question was, "Would I rather have this window to myself?" Well, of course. I'm not foolish. I'm not foolish that way, anyway. In other ways, probably.

But you knew who you were going up against when you chose this window.

Yes. The exact timing, we didn't know.

Do you think you're getting enough support from Electronic Arts? Respawn owns Titanfall, while EA owns Battlefield. You once suggested you were concerned that publishers would put more of their muscle behind the games they own.

It's always a concern. That's what I'll say. Especially when you have two games on top of each other

It would not surprise me if he was pretty pissed but we really do not know the tone of the interview. Also, this contradicts what was said by other Respawn devs here that stated they picked the date they wanted to release.

Lastly, this interview was being conducted with EA PR present. That is going to change the tone of the interview but there is no doubt that he is frustrated.

tommyguns

Beat the campaign last night. Was very enjoyable!

That final mission when you get the
Smart Pistol
. Made you feel like a badass.

I understand that but being in Australia if I change to another region I'm getting 300 + ping which is pretty much unplayable.

Yeah I get that, but isn't gaming in Australlia a pretty medicore online experience generally? I know a friend of mine can't find anyone playing in his region on Uncharted 4, and he lags out and disconnects when he plays with in other regions.

I think playing in Australlia at late hours of the night is a pretty extreme test on any games population, sadly. I imagine you could switch to some Asian servers but you'd have the same issue, not many people are playing that late at night. If not many people are playing within regions close by due to the time of day, that's going to result in bad connections. That's why I often end up getting matched with KSA or China at those hours I guess.

HelloMeow

Yeah I get that, but isn't gaming in Australlia a pretty medicore online experience generally? I know a friend of mine can't find anyone playing in his region on Uncharted 4, and he lags out and disconnects when he plays with in other regions.

I think playing in Australlia at late hours of the night is a pretty extreme test on any games population, sadly. I imagine you could switch to some Asian servers but you'd have the same issue, not many people are playing that late at night. If not many people are playing within regions close by due to the time of day, that's going to result in bad connections. That's why I often end up getting matched with KSA or China at those hours I guess.

Not for games with a server browser and player owned servers. But that's a no-go for Respawn for some reason.

E92 M3

Yeah, nothing worse than getting a Titan assist. I wish it was tracked at least.

I don't think the game should be balanced based on what is strong in PvP. Cloak is perfectly fine in normal modes with Titans and very easy to see. I have an easier time spotting cloaks than robot pilots. Everyone should enjoy the game however they want and PVP isn't what Titanfall is about anyways.

Izuna

Banned
I think that interview proves that this game is dropping off pretty hard. There's no secret "oh it's doing very well."

Day 2 had modes that were dead. Then they shifted the playlists and then those modes stayed dead while others became dead.

I really do not understand who thought it would be a good idea to have 2 pages of playlists, or:

Amped Hardpoint
8v8 Variety (Amped Hardpoint + Skirmish)

factory
time travel

I disagree. I don't think you need to go out of your way to mesh combat and the games movement systems together. There's ample opportunity to do so afforded by the level design. Significantly, the way I fought adapted as I learned more about the games movement systems. First I began quite grounded, then began using the movement systems to move between grounded positions, and then finally gradually meshing the two together, moving and shooting my path through. That's really emphasized during one of the final missions of the game.

I didn't dislike the boss fights as you did. I like that they're quite flexible, you can kill them in a myriad of ways and finish them off in a few different ways too. I think that's pretty cool and I like the idea of everyone playing the game in a different way. I think that sense of agency is what made me enjoy the game much more than most modern shooters. I've replayed a number of the games levels multiple time and each time I've played them it felt different. A different route, a different playstyle, carving a path through different enemies, seeing different rooms and portions of the map. The factory level is probably the best example of that, the level is huge and you can get through it while only seeing a small portion of the fight.

When the game did take those freedoms away it was only to introduce a cool new mechanic, facilitated by what I consider pretty good level design.

I agree with you that the games narrative wasn't up to much but I was able to forgive it for this sense of agency, solid gameplay and great level design. The narrative wasn't terrible though and I find the idea that you found much of it annoying a little odd. At worst I thought nothing of it, but getting annoyed by the dialogue, and even credits sequence seems unusual, I think you might have been holding these elements of the game to too high a standard. I don't think many people bought into Titanfall 2 expecting it to be the new Bioshock. If anything while the narrative wasn't especially remarkable, one should give it credit for not being forced down the players throat, it's so rare that Titanfall 2 takes control from you, making the dialogue and narrative perfectly ignorable if you don't think it's up to scratch. That's a far cry from the Uncharted's and Infinite Warfares, which will gleefully take control from you for countless minutes on end, only to suffer their trite narrative beats.

I think that interview proves that this game is dropping off pretty hard. There's no secret "oh it's doing very well."

Day 2 had modes that were dead. Then they shifted the playlists and then those modes stayed dead while others became dead.

I really do not understand who thought it would be a good idea to have 2 pages of playlists, or:

Amped Hardpoint

I think you're reading into things that absolutely, weren't there.

The fact that day 2 had modes that were 'dead' was more an of an issue that it had modes that were hidden from the front page. Also, in many instances having modes that are less popular does not reflect the death of the game. Call of Duty has always had issues with the death of modes like Sabotage and a few others. That doesn't stop TDM, Domination and Sabotage having 95% of the player population.

Personally I think they should revamp and consolidate the playlists. If they wanted they could just feature three playlist. Mixed 6 vs 6, mixed 8 vs 8, and Custom mixtape. In custom mixtape you could select any gametype like LTS, Hardpoint etc. and it will just rotate those modes, putting you into games from the 6 vs 6 or 8 vs 8 playlist where appropriate. The thing about this game, unlike many others, is that it disbands and reforms the lobby every time a new match starts, which means that all of the capture the flag games that occur in something like the 6 vs 6 mixtape, should also be searchable in the playlist that is exclusively CTF.

The game should also not display a hard number of players per playlist and replace that with a percentage of the global population. Then you could create your own custom mix tape search, say for CTF, LTS and Attrition, and it would tell me that the total of the players also including those 3 game types within their search is equal to x percentage of the population. This would allow someone playing an obscure mode like LTS to keep themselves within a larger portion of the population playing the mixed gametypes.

Amped Hardpoint

weird playlist choices, weird omissions of information in the UI (like stats wtf), pretty poor maps, and not a lot coming out of respawn in terms of community communication ensuring us this game ISNT dead....yeah....doesnt bode well.

i just want to see some content update plans so i know im not playing what will amount to a dead game in a month

zou

cloak is the only thing that gives me a split second to react.

wasn't needed in R1, but here it's the only thing that makes the mp bearable. which sucks, because I hate cloak. it really only brings the game down to where it was in R1, but since everyone is brightly colored now the difference is bigger.

edit: they need to change shooting when cloaked though. it's bs you keep being semi-cloaked when shooting and get back your cloak once you stop.

edit 2: also the titan ui is fucking awful, so many moving, useless elements that are distracting as fuck. and the minimap is utter shit coming from R1.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
I think I'm just past the halfway mark for the campaign. Playing on Master so it's less fun than I know it is. Great campaign.

Multiplayer still ain't great though.

Zemm

In a game where TTK is so low and where whoever shoots first has a big advantage, cloak is definitely annoying. Would be happy for them to remove it.

Mupod

I just want to swing around with a grappling hook and shoot grenades at people but the PC community is all no fun allowed weapons now.

Cloak hasn't been an issue for me when running pulse blade/devotion. I haven't used it myself in a while though.

Cloak needs to be tuned back to how it worked in TF1, increase visibility against pilots and break on shoot, this iteration is literally Ghost Squad on cooldown (and can be accelerated by kills!), and that was one of the most broken burn cards in TF1, especially for Attrition.

EL CUCO

I've played Complex way too much lately. Ready for new maps.

Cloak definitely needs a tweak, maybe a longer cool down. Right now I can practically spam it all match.

E92 M3

I've played Complex way too much lately. Ready for new maps.

Cloak definitely needs a tweak. Maybe a longer cool dowm. Right now I can practically spam it all match.

Why? It does not help with pilot battles and most useful for Titans. Other abilities offer a lot more. It's super visible to other pilots and I practiced with phase shift last night which I found more useful.

Tone needs further tweaks way more than cloak does.

If Tone gets "tweaked" Legion and Ion need to be as well - both are very strong.

In reality, Tone is truly fine - and I am speaking objectively. People are learning and Tones go down very fast.

When I really think about it cloak seems like it should be OP but when I think about how i die in any given match, barely any are due to cloak, nor do I find cloak usually determines the outcome of a pilot v pilot fight (when I'm playing Attrition).

Top Bottom