• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

E92 M3

When I really think about it cloak seems like it should be OP but when I think about how i die in any given match, barely any are due to cloak, nor do I find cloak usually determines the outcome of a pilot v pilot fight (when I'm playing Attrition).

Because it's very innocuous. The anti-titan properties are my favorite.

Half-decent player

You don't think Ion is good? And was that directed at me?

EL CUCO

Why? It does not help with pilot battles and most useful for Titans. Other abilities offer a lot more. It's super visible to other pilots and I practiced with phase shift last night which I found more useful.
I need to mess around with the other abilities and see how they compare. I personally dont have a problem dealing with cloaked pilots, but I know I'm constantly getting the jump on people with it, and the fact that I can pop another one right away makes it feel kinda cheap. I'm not big on nerfs, but if Respawn decided it needed a slight touch, I'd understand.

Izuna

Banned
You don't think Ion is good? And was that directed at me?

No no! Haha, I'm saying that Ion is S-tier for anyone who knows what they're doing. He's really, really good.

I don't know why you'd think I'm directing that at you. I haven't read prior posts.

Gator86

the cloak needs a nerf. it's too powerful in pilot vs pilot. on some maps it's the only thing people will run soon as they discover the meta.

It's already the meta and I'd say most people are using cloak now. Getting a Titan early in attrition is just for farming bots now. Everyone is perma-cloaked so there's no one to even fight. It's the only skill that requires no thought or strategy to use - just be cloaked. There's never a reason not to be. But if you complain about cloak, you are blind and hate fun because cloaked people are easier to see and some people apparently deserve an extra split second advantage in every fight.

E92 M3

No no! Haha, I'm saying that Ion is S-tier for anyone who knows what they're doing. He's really, really good.

I don't know why you'd think I'm directing that at you. I haven't read prior posts.

Miscommunication lol

It's already the meta and I'd say most people are using cloak now. Getting a Titan early in attrition is just for farming bots now. Everyone is perma-cloaked so there's no one to even fight. It's the only skill that requires no thought or strategy to use - just be cloaked. There's never a reason not to be. But if you complain about cloak, you are blind and hate fun because cloaked people are easier to see and some people apparently deserve an extra split second advantage in every fight.

I see what you did there :p I'm a phase shift believer now.

realwords

|OT2| Whatever the fuck that means.

Winner.

Also, has anyone seen this Mountain Dew UK reusable code thing? Apparently you can get 10 Coliseum Tickets and Double XP codes per day. The codes are reusable and you can enter 10 per day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5dfu4h/5_dew_reward_codes_for_everyone/

QPTsCtO.jpg

I'm guessing since it's towards the end of the promotion period they're just giving away the codes for people who can't get access to the promotion through doritos purchases. It's for the UK, but you can link US accounts to the promotion too.

RedFury

Winner.

Also, has anyone seen this Mountain Dew UK reusable code thing? Apparently you can get 10 Coliseum Tickets and Double XP codes per day. The codes are reusable and you can enter 10 per day.

https://www.reddit.com/r/titanfall/comments/5dfu4h/5_dew_reward_codes_for_everyone/

QPTsCtO.jpg

I'm guessing since it's towards the end of the promotion period they're just giving away the codes for people who can't get access to the promotion through doritos purchases. It's for the UK, but you can link US accounts to the promotion too.
None work for me :(

Vipu

Banned
Winner.

QPTsCtO.jpg

Used 10 of those I think, there was lots of "code already used" but when I spammed it sometimes it worked.
Now just have to wait until I get home to see if I got items or not.

TheChits

frothy put up his tier list on pretty much everything outside of nades, Outside of his placement of ion and grenadier weapons i at least agree on the ones I've used. Didnt know that certain tacticals were banned in the first competitive tournament. Guess no boosts right now b/c they're all banned from competitive tournament

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-DcNp0Y-4Y

Very interesting video. Even though I love this game, this made me realize how little of it I've actually explored. I have mostly stuck to the default loadout, with the exception of using stim instead of grapple and Scorch instead of Ion. Now I just want to play and experiment.

weird playlist choices, weird omissions of information in the UI (like stats wtf), pretty poor maps, and not a lot coming out of respawn in terms of community communication ensuring us this game ISNT dead....yeah....doesnt bode well.

i just want to see some content update plans so i know im not playing what will amount to a dead game in a month

Given that they produced this game in quite a brief period of time I imagine they don't have as clear a roadmap as some other developers.

Overwatch didn't need a content roadmap to be successful, it's not often that free to play games get that type of thing. Season passes are often sold off of the back of their roadmap, and this game doesn't have anything like that, so they probably saw no reason to market a plan for their future content, but on the flipside, they're not obligated to provide any either.

Free DLC is both bad and good in that regard, as it usually involves less support for the game in the long run. For example, Rainbow Six Siege has free maps, and receives 4 free maps per year, Call of Duty sells maps with its season pass, and gets 20 per year. I do doubt that it will be all that different with Titanfall, I can't imagine a phenomenal amount of content coming from a studio that isn't being paid for it.

Either way I would give them a little bit of time. It's only been 2 weeks right? We have enough maps, modes and content to enjoy the game for now and we have Angel City coming up in December. The game isn't dead or dying, they've not abandoned support, let's not act like it's all doom and gloom, Titanfall 2 is far more popular than most multiplayer shooters even if it doesn't match the most popular, and at least decent support will likely come with that, give it some time.

E92 M3

Once again, phase shift is life. It's so fun to use. Welcome to the club.

Still have a lot of work to master, but it's fun as fuck to use.

--

I hope Respawn gives us an update soon. The latest interview worried me a bit. I love this game so much.

Geist-

Winner.

QPTsCtO.jpg

Got 10, thanks for pointing it out. This is a lot easier than calling my dad every couple of days for his diet MtDew codes lol.

ZOONAMI

So this does not support HDR?

I read some impressions saying it does but respawn seems to have never said anything about HDR?

Looks so good on my ps4 I thought it did lol

legbone

|OT2| Whatever the fuck that means.

my vote goes to this one if you can have profanity in a title. i'm sick of hearing people say, "i'm not getting titanfall 2 because the player base is low". shut up and buy it and then it will have one more. anyway, another recommendation for a title would be something regarding this self fulfilling prophecy situation. someone more clever than me can surely come up with something.

Frothy's tier list pretty much matches my own. I want Titan's like Scorch and Ronin to be good but the sheer damage being dealt out by Titan's like Tone and Ion is just too oppressive to push through.

Additionally, something he doesn't touch upon is how the Titan's synergise with one another, and how others don't. Tone and Tone, or Tone and Legion, Northstar, etc, synergise very well together to hold a lane. You can dish out large amounts of damage while shielding yourself from a large amount.

Someone like Scorch doesn't offer awfully great synergy with other members of his team. His gameplan doesn't match there's so it's hard to find cross-utility. Tone's shield can't protect him as he tries to push up, Ion, Legion and Northstar find themselves at cross purposes with Scorch and Ronin. They want to hang back, play a war of attrition, and hold their lane, while Scorch and Ronin want to get in close and dish out damage.

In theory their weaknesses would be mitigated with stealth, flanking and positioning, when you consider the maps at the scale that the Titan's fight, there are very very few objects that obstruct sightlines, very few options, very few routes that you can take. It's very easy for even a half competent team to lock the entire map down, shutting down the entire map from these close range Titan's and forcing this mid-long range battle of attrition as Titan's poke at eachother from mid-long range, trying to minimize damage to themselves while chipping away at their opponent.

This is the dominant playstyle of LTS and Tone, Ion and Legion are the only Titan's that fit this playstyle. The map design and nature of the game suits the way that these Titan's want to play, so it's very obvious why they'd be more powerful. Simple adjustments to Scorch and Ronin's efficacy will not charge this if they are not drastic. Ronin's gameplan does not fit the current meta, there's no reason to want to overextend into a lane with a single Titan.

I think Scorch needs a little bit more damage output with his primary, to make him a bit more versatile. He's not in too bad of a place but he needs to be able to at least threaten with well placed shots at mid-range. I also think Scorch should be able to spread fire through Tone's walls. Tone is an absolute hard counter to Scorch right now because he does not deal high direct damage, it's dealt by fire AoE. The issue with that is that he deals close to zero damage to Tone's walls, meaning he can't push on Tone. When the most popular Titan in the game is your absolute worst matchup, that makes you seem a lot less viable than you would otherwise be, so addressing that matchup may make a big difference for him.

It'd also be nice to see a little bit more flexibility with his kit. A dash on Scorch is essential, for instance, other Titan's don't feel quite so limited. Perhaps Scorch should have a dash by default, that would certainly help him get close to his opponents. At the moment this is his issue. Getting into his space carries too much risk, and he ends up dead before he gets there. There's only so much fire shield can do.

Ronin is the same but worse really. His health is too low, there's too much risk associated with any over extension into a lane, you die instantly and making matters worse you aren't rewarded for the successful flank, even if you get it. Even if you manage to sneak into a lane and push you don't deal enough damage to win most 1 vs 1 encounters. Your health is too low, and if the opponent see's you coming you will generally trade. That shouldn't be the case, Ronin has to work to get into his optimum range, he should be rewarded with a significant battlefield advantage if he gets there successfully. Ronin could use a little more health to mitigate the increased risks a close ranged Titan of his style has to take, and a significant boost to damage.

I want to buy this game on black friday, but my only concern is if the servers are well populated on all game modes or they are empty with the low sales? (PS4 wise)

Vipu

Banned
Frothy's tier list pretty much matches my own. I want Titan's like Scorch and Ronin to be good but the sheer damage being dealt out by Titan's like Tone and Ion is just too oppressive to push through.

Additionally, something he doesn't touch upon is how the Titan's synergise with one another, and how others don't. Tone and Tone, or Tone and Legion, Northstar, etc, synergise very well together to hold a lane. You can dish out large amounts of damage while shielding yourself from a large amount.

Someone like Scorch doesn't offer awfully great synergy with other members of his team. His gameplan doesn't match there's so it's hard to find cross-utility. Tone's shield can't protect him as he tries to push up, Ion, Legion and Northstar find themselves at cross purposes with Scorch and Ronin. They want to hang back, play a war of attrition, and hold their lane, while Scorch and Ronin want to get in close and dish out damage.

In theory their weaknesses would be mitigated with stealth, flanking and positioning, when you consider the maps at the scale that the Titan's fight, there are very very few objects that obstruct sightlines, very few options, very few routes that you can take. It's very easy for even a half competent team to lock the entire map down, shutting down the entire map from these close range Titan's and forcing this mid-long range battle of attrition as Titan's poke at eachother from mid-long range, trying to minimize damage to themselves while chipping away at their opponent.

This is the dominant playstyle of LTS and Tone, Ion and Legion are the only Titan's that fit this playstyle. The map design and nature of the game suits the way that these Titan's want to play, so it's very obvious why they'd be more powerful. Simple adjustments to Scorch and Ronin's efficacy will not charge this if they are not drastic. Ronin's gameplan does not fit the current meta, there's no reason to want to overextend into a lane with a single Titan.

I think Scorch needs a little bit more damage output with his primary, to make him a bit more versatile. He's not in too bad of a place but he needs to be able to at least threaten with well placed shots at mid-range. I also think Scorch should be able to spread fire through Tone's walls. Tone is an absolute hard counter to Scorch right now because he does not deal high direct damage, it's dealt by fire AoE. The issue with that is that he deals close to zero damage to Tone's walls, meaning he can't push on Tone. When the most popular Titan in the game is your absolute worst matchup, that makes you seem a lot less viable than you would otherwise be, so addressing that matchup may make a big difference for him.

It'd also be nice to see a little bit more flexibility with his kit. A dash on Scorch is essential, for instance, other Titan's don't feel quite so limited. Perhaps Scorch should have a dash by default, that would certainly help him get close to his opponents. At the moment this is his issue. Getting into his space carries too much risk, and he ends up dead before he gets there. There's only so much fire shield can do.

Ronin is the same but worse really. His health is too low, there's too much risk associated with any over extension into a lane, you die instantly and making matters worse you aren't rewarded for the successful flank, even if you get it. Even if you manage to sneak into a lane and push you don't deal enough damage to win most 1 vs 1 encounters. Your health is too low, and if the opponent see's you coming you will generally trade. That shouldn't be the case, Ronin has to work to get into his optimum range, he should be rewarded with a significant battlefield advantage if he gets there successfully. Ronin could use a little more health to mitigate the increased risks a close ranged Titan of his style has to take, and a significant boost to damage.

Scorch is my favorite and he is really strong imo, not Tone strong but really close to rest top titans.
But sure I dont mind him getting buffed.

Gator86

weird playlist choices, weird omissions of information in the UI (like stats wtf), pretty poor maps, and not a lot coming out of respawn in terms of community communication ensuring us this game ISNT dead....yeah....doesnt bode well.

i just want to see some content update plans so i know im not playing what will amount to a dead game in a month

Same. Love the game and it might be my Goty now, but some of the choices surrounding it are astoundingly odd. The game will maintain a small community for as long as the servers are online, but I'd love to see them try to bring new people in. One map every few months won't do it.

tommyguns

Hmm. Kind of weird it has pro enhancements but no HDR.

Wonder if they'll ever add it.

Maybe they will down the line. There are quite a few games however that support the Pro but do not support HDR. Skyrim, Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2, Titanfall 2, Firewatch...Just to name a few.

Schlorgan

Interesting..

Titanfall 2 OT - 11k replies
Battlefield 1 OT - 14.4k replies
Infinite Warfare OT - 1.5k replies
Modern Warfare Remastered OT - 2.6k replies

If they keep growing at the rate they have been, I can see BF1 and Titanfall 2 getting an OT2 not long after the new year starts.

KorrZ

Cloak lasts a long time. I used it last night for the first time after a particularly annoying match on Crash Site where almost the entire enemy team was using it.

It seems pretty powerful, especially seemed useful for the G2, it gives you those crucial extra seconds before someone sees you to line up the shot. I was surprised at how long it lasted tbh, with tactikill on you can pretty much be cloaked non-stop.

I hit gen 3 the other day, and I've leveled all of my Titans to gen 2. This game is so damn fun, and there's so much variety between different combinations of Titans, guns, boosts, tacticals.

Out of all of the Titans, I definitely perform the best with Tone even though I find her really boring to use, and I certainly don't think she needs a nerf either. My favorites are still Scorch and Ronin. I have to be more careful about how I use them but they can be super fun in wrecking other people.

As for guns, I don't think I have a favorite. I usually switch around between the rifles, SMGs, and LMGs, and the shotguns are just too tough to use with so many open spaces in maps.

Gator86

Cloak lasts a long time. I used it last night for the first time after a particularly annoying match on Crash Site where almost the entire enemy team was using it.

It seems pretty powerful, especially seemed useful for the G2, it gives you those crucial extra seconds before someone sees you to line up the shot. I was surprised at how long it lasted tbh, with tactikill on you can pretty much be cloaked non-stop.

Yup, it's a problem, especially now that it's becoming the meta. It completely discourages movement because you're a target that's not invisible and it completely destroys the titan versus pilot dynamic. They need to make cloaked pilots take extra damage, obscure your vision when cloaked, or break immediately upon firing with some type of flashy visual effect, like phase shift. It need some type of downside.

Top Bottom