• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Cloak sucks. It's the one ability that is infuriating and promotes camping. Almost everything else promotes movemement or has a drawback (like a shield which lights you up like a Christmas tree).

Cloak promotes standing still and camping because that's what makes you the most invisible.
the ones camping are the easy ones to kill. If they are trying to snipe, who cares? Cloak is a great perk for them. Use the minimap more. Cloak does kind of light you up, i find it much easier to aquire a cloaked player in a group of npcs and friendlies

It worked like that in TF1 and was totally fine, could reduce cooldown to compensate. Funny that that is how it works in the campaign as well.
There is a reaon cloak was barely used in TF1. This isn't sp or tf1. As a main pilot class, i see it equally represented along with stim, phase, pulse and grapple. If they break the perk, everyone is going to start bitching about all the stim, phase or pulse users and the nerfing will never end. I have no issue with cloak but duration orcooldown are the only adjustments that wont destroy its usefulness

Gator86

Thinking of buying this with the 43% off code I got from Sony. How is the player base on PS4?

It's solid. Aside from some crazy, insomnia fueled late nights, I've never waited more than a few seconds for a game. I play mostly the most popular mode though.

Calderc

Can we make 'Really want to buy this game but dunno how long it'll live/ dunno about the player base' posts a bannable offense? Jesus Christ.

Ozorov

It's solid. Aside from some crazy, insomnia fueled late nights, I've never waited more than a few seconds for a game. I play mostly the most popular mode though.
Cool thanks! Never played Titanfall so I guess I will feel lost in the beginning.
Almost bought it for 70 a few days ago, jumping in now (yay, another mp shooter. Bf, gears and cod are not enough)
Yeah I think this + BF should be a good MP-combo

Gator86

the ones camping are the easy ones to kill. If they are trying to snipe, who cares? Cloak is a great perk for them. Use the minimap more. Cloak does kind of light you up, i find it much easier to aquire a cloaked player in a group of npcs and friendlies

There is a reaon cloak was barely used in TF1. This isn't sp or tf1. As a main pilot class, i see it equally represented along with stim, phase, pulse and grapple. If they break the perk, everyone is going to start bitching about all the stim, phase or pulse users and the nerfing will never end. I have no issue with cloak but duration orcooldown are the only adjustments that wont destroy its usefulness

I have no idea why people are so insistent that it is easier to see cloaked pilots than non-cloaked pilots. If that's the case, why does the ability exist at all then? Why is it used in pilot versus pilot? Why do people activate it the second a match starts in every Attrition game? It's far less visible than in 1, has no drawbacks, and gives you a first shot advantage in a game where the best predictor of who wins a fight is who sees/shoots first. The other skills have downsides, and that's what makes them balanced. Cloak does not.

People are basically saying "this skill that provides you an advantage in every situation, has absolutely no drawbacks or costs, and can be used perpetually is well-designed and good for the game." That... seems unreasonable. It's not the end of the world, but it's bad for the game. It's one of the things I'd put at the top of the fix list with stuff like removing Reaper collision detection.

PS4 EU/UK people,

I have one 43% off code for PS4 Titanfall 2.

Quote this post to reveal.

the deal ends 23:59 GMT 23 November.

Please post here if you got it.

Thanks and have fun!

- PC Titanfall 2 player :D

Gator86

Is the single player a good way to be introduced to the game mehanics?

Absolutely. It's especially good for getting accustomed to the movement and titan battles. Honestly, it's not hard to get into the MP. Just play it like COD at first, then slowly implement the wall running and movement skills. Don't go crazy trying to force them at the beginning because it will just make you a target.

E92 M3

I have no idea why people are so insistent that it is easier to see cloaked pilots than non-cloaked pilots. If that's the case, why does the ability exist at all then? Why is it used in pilot versus pilot? Why do people activate it the second a match starts in every Attrition game? It's far less visible than in 1, has no drawbacks, and gives you a first shot advantage in a game where the best predictor of who wins a fight is who sees/shoots first. The other skills have downsides, and that's what makes them balanced. Cloak does not.

People are basically saying "this skill that provides you an advantage in every situation, has absolutely no drawbacks or costs, and can be used perpetually is well-designed and good for the game." That... seems unreasonable. It's not the end of the world, but it's bad for the game. It's one of the things I'd put at the top of the fix list with stuff like removing Reaper collision detection.

Personally, I can't tell you how many times I mistook a pilot for a bot - especially the robots. The cloak guys stand out a lot without cloak and when cloaked it's easier for me to pick them off. In fact, just last night I was sitting back and picking off cloaked guys running around Crash Site (please remove Crash Site).

The main point of cloak is for tackling Titans, other than that it, it's mostly psychological.

Menitta

Is the single player a good way to be introduced to the game mehanics?

Yeah. It's got every single Titan loadout and you can switch between them constantly.

I'd also recommend playing the campaign first because if you start the multiplayer, you'll probably never touch the singleplayer again.

EL CUCO

Yes, nothing pisses me off more than a Hemlock, but that player deserves his fun too. Maybe I am just so scarred from Bungie that the word of any nerf scares me.
qLEfnyY.png

X-Frame

I unlocked the Hemlock last night and wow the thing was so crispy. Had several Triple and quadruple kills in a row right off the bat using it that I never got with other weapons so far.

It's insane to me that it can one burst people, but I'm assuming that is headshots which I aim for.

KodaRuss

I have been using cloak just a little in the game recently. How long does it last? How is the cooldown? When does the cloak go away after a timer, when you shoot, when you kill or all of them above?

I dont really seem to think it is a huge problem at the moment, as I pilot they arent that hard to spot but I have found I do pretty well running cloak.

Yup, a walled guy with a Hemlock on a rooftop with a swarm of cloaked friends with Alternators below is cancer.
It's a tough scenario but you have to adapt. You can change and edit classes on the fly. Grab a cloak and flank, throw a firestar, gravitystar or electric smoke, coordinate with your team and take them down. There are so many ways to deal with adversity in this game and i see so many people using the same class or two for every game mode. Most of the weapons, classes, perks and titans are fun and diverse. Experiment. I have a certain class for homstead, one for complex, one for lts, one for ctf and hardpoint etc. Part of the fun is reacting to these emergent situations and overcoming an Awall user or a room full of campers with something like a gravitystar or electric smoke grenade. I bet a ton of people don't even know it's possible to change classes on the fly.

If something infurites me in an mp game, i try my best to adapt and destroy it with the different tools the game gives us. So far, nothing seems completely op in tf2. Some tweaks can be made but many seem to be complaining about anything that kills them more than 3 times in a match just because it's different than how they play the game.

Anyone else experiencing server issues on the PS4 the past few days? I've stopped playing because my character will freeze in place for 5 seconds several times per match.

Popsickles

Just received a "Save 43% on Titanfall 2" email discount code from Sony on my UK account.

That takes it from £54.99 to £23.65, just on my way out but it's free to the first person with a UK account who PM's me. I'll be back in less than an hour and send it to you then, it's a wonderful game but I've already downloaded it on my USA account. :)

Not good Math. It takes it to £31.34

Ozorov

Yeah. It's got every single Titan loadout and you can switch between them constantly.

I'd also recommend playing the campaign first because if you start the multiplayer, you'll probably never touch the singleplayer again.

Absolutely. It's especially good for getting accustomed to the movement and titan battles. Honestly, it's not hard to get into the MP. Just play it like COD at first, then slowly implement the wall running and movement skills. Don't go crazy trying to force them at the beginning because it will just make you a target.

Absolutely.

Thanks for the responses dudes! Just bought it

Gator86

Personally, I can't tell you how many times I mistook a pilot for a bot - especially the robots. The cloak guys stand out a lot without cloak and when cloaked it's easier for me to pick them off. In fact, just last night I was sitting back and picking off cloaked guys running around Crash Site (please remove Crash Site).

The main point of cloak is for tackling Titans, other than that it, it's mostly psychological.

The top post on this page is someone gen 6 saying that cloak is too powerful in pilot versus pilot mode. There are no titan there. Tons of people have claimed that cloak is hard to see. People use it relentlessly in titan-free contexts. I kill cloak users too. It doesn't mean it's not a badly designed skill. I'm honestly not sure what else I could say about it. I feel like I've written a book from various posts discussing its practical use, theoretical use, pros/cons, effect on the game, decisions faced by users, etc. "Nuh uh, cloak is fine. I can see mostly translucent things more than opaque things" is the response every time.

I'm excited for the next patch with a cloak tweak and inevitable continued Tone adjustments.

C'mon , i clearly said out of a group on npcs and friendlies. A lot of the player designs blend in with the bots. If I'm at a distance and aim at a group, the cloaked players are much easier to aquire. Certain maps like crashsite make them stand out even more for some reason? Maybe color or rock textures?

For reference, what are the drawbacks of stim, phase or pulse?

The top post on this page is someone gen 6 saying that cloak is too powerful in pilot versus pilot mode. There are no titan there. Tons of people have claimed that cloak is hard to see. People use it relentlessly in titan-free contexts. I kill cloak users too. It doesn't mean it's not a badly designed skill. I'm honestly not sure what else I could say about it. I feel like I've written a book from various posts discussing its practical use, theoretical use, pros/cons, effect on the game, decisions faced by users, etc. "Nuh uh, cloak is fine. I can see mostly translucent things more than opaque things" is the response every time.

I'm excited for the next patch with a cloak tweak and inevitable continued Tone adjustments.
And then what? You'll move on to writing about the hemlock, the A wall, phase, pulse, smgs or whatever else people start using too much. Maybe someone can enlighten me and tell me what i should /shouldn't be using. I want to make sure I'm playing fair. LOL.
For the record: I'm not against duration or cooldown tweaks.

Gator86

C'mon , i clearly said out of a group on npcs and friendlies. A lot of the player designs blend in with the bots. If I'm at a distance and aim at a group, the cloaked players are much easier to aquire. Certain maps like crashsite make them stand out even more for some reason? Maybe color or rock textures?

For reference, what are the drawbacks of stim, phase or pulse?

Stim only has a short duration, makes you especially noticeable as you travel at blazing speed across the map and must be activated in a timely context. Stim cannot remain active at all times. People must think about when to stim.

Phase shift makes you unable to see enemies. It can be disorienting. It has a short duration, with huge explosion effects in AND out of the shift that paint a giant kill me sign on your back. If you phase into a Titan, you literally die immediately. It prevents all health regeneration. If you phase and move poorly you open yourself to even more fire. You must think about when to stim.

Pulse knife has a limited duration and effects only a small area. It alerts all enemies that an area is a danger zone with multiple indicators and sound effects.

Grapple is the only skill that literally prevents you from shooting and defending yourself. Poor grappling slows you down and hurts mobility. Titans basically can't be grappled now because anyone who isn't terrible will punch you into mist immediately. Grapple has a cooldown and cannot be accessed at all times. You must think when to cloak.

A-wall is maybe the biggest kill me ad in the game. It demands you be flanked. It has a limited duration and cannot always be used. If used in the wrong place, it is useless. You must think when and where to use an A-wall.

Am I cloaked? No? I should cloak.

Stim only has a short duration, makes you especially noticeable as you travel at blazing speed across the map and must be activated in a timely context. Stim cannot remain active at all times. People must think about when to stim.

Phase shift makes you unable to see enemies. It can be disorienting. It has a short duration, with huge explosion effects in AND out of the shift that paint a giant kill me sign on your back. If you phase into a Titan, you literally die immediately. It prevents all health regeneration. If you phase and move poorly you open yourself to even more fire. You must think about when to stim.

Pulse knife has a limited duration and effects only a small area. It alerts all enemies that an area is a danger zone with multiple indicators and sound effects.

Grapple is the only skill that literally prevents you from shooting and defending yourself. Poor grappling slows you down and hurts mobility. Titans basically can't be grappled now because anyone who isn't terrible will punch you into mist immediately. Grapple has a cooldown and cannot be accessed at all times. You must think when to cloak.

A-wall is maybe the biggest kill me ad in the game. It demands you be flanked. It has a limited duration and cannot always be used. If used in the wrong place, it is useless. You must think when and where to use an A-wall.

So duration or cooldown tweaks would solve most of your issues?

GazzaGSi

Just got the email with the discount code. I've been wanting to get this since getting my Pro so now seems a better time than any :)

Isn't this the game with all the DLC being free too?

Edit, answered my own question after a quick browse through the OP.

Gator86

So duration or cooldown tweaks would solve most of your issues?

Maybe? I'm not a developer at Respawn so I can't say if my experience matches what they see. I just feel strongly that in games like this, things should have risks/benefits associated with them. They nail that with almost everything else. Ion is built entirely around that idea - one more tripmine and that shield isn't coming out when you need it. A duration or cooldown would definitely be an improvement for me, I think. Respawn might have much better ideas.

I also love how invisibility worked in Crysis. It lets you get the jump on people, but if you're caught, you take extra damage. It pushes both the risk and reward up to the max. I sneak well, I win. I sneak poorly, you win. But that's just an example.

I wouldn't want a skill to be useless. All that does it reduce the diversity and fun of the game.

IISANDERII

Yup, it's a problem, especially now that it's becoming the meta. It completely discourages movement because you're a target that's not invisible and it completely destroys the titan versus pilot dynamic. They need to make cloaked pilots take extra damage, obscure your vision when cloaked, or break immediately upon firing with some type of flashy visual effect, like phase shift. It need some type of downside.
I wish they'd just take it out altogether!

I thought the point of cloak was to be hidden from Titans? It says that in the loading screen...

This game is odd. I'm not very good at it, but I still have fun. This is the first time that has happened. I've gradually gotten better after the 10 hour played mark, but I'm still not going to carry a match ever. The game play is so good that I can just die and have fun. Really odd.

Has it already happened? Garbage teammates...

Most of the time when I've seen that happen it's because the one dude runs in first, banks money then splits without trying to keep the bank clear. Inevitably the banks get camped and anyone else trying to get to them gets killed almost immediately by 2 or 3 guys camping it. Or they're just like me in that they are very average at it and don't really care because they're having fun.

Izuna

Banned
Screenshot-Original.png

~~

I haven't played in a while. It feels like the Hemlock lost damage over range, and that Tones tracking missiles and Salvo Core has been weakened.

Dear Respawn, please NEVER stealth-nerf anything. I'm not saying that you did, but honestly coming on after a while unsure if my weapon of choice has gotten worse or I have is bloody stupid.

282 in Attrition playing at UK peak time. FFS.

BigBeauford

I think the pulse knife is the strongest of them all. Throwing a well time one can illuminate multiple enemies and stick them on your radar. This thing even kills them instantly if you nail them with it.

E92 M3

Screenshot-Original.png

~~

I haven't played in a while. It feels like the Hemlock lost damage over range, and that Tones tracking missiles and Salvo Core has been weakened.

Dear Respawn, please NEVER stealth-nerf anything. I'm not saying that you did, but honestly coming on after a while unsure if my weapon of choice has gotten worse or I have is bloody stupid.

282 in Attrition playing at UK peak time. FFS.

Yesterday, I thought the Alternator felt weaker as well. It might be the servers since no one had any other problems.

Chris1

I'm not amazing or anything but 9/10 people in this game are complete utter garbage, I just don't understand how you can be in the game the entire time and end up with like 20 points in attrition. It's insane.

Received a EU PSN code as well for 43 % off. Have no interest in the game, but would be happy to make someone else happy. Quote to see, and please post if you've taken it for others sake.
Pleasant playing!

Edit: Taken!

Mupod

I'm not amazing or anything but 9/10 people in this game are complete utter garbage, I just don't understand how you can be in the game the entire time and end up with like 20 points in attrition. It's insane.

I've watched the game spawn someone in front of a Legion using smart core and then do it again. Sometimes there's just a chain reaction of bullshit that you can do nothing to stop.

That said Bounty Hunt is where I always end up wondering what the hell everyone else is doing. You pretty much need to carry every match and hope the other side doesn't have someone doing the same thing. Not uncommon at all to see both sides with one guy over 2500-3000 and the rest under 300.

Calderc

Can we not rag on 'bad' players in here? Not saying it's happening a lot, but it's yet another thing that might put people off buying. We need all the buys we can get.

Top Bottom