• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Now that Microsoft in particular seems way more open about cross-network play, and it's still-limited use in games such as Rocket League, would it be a good move (and even possible at all) for Titanfall 2 servers to just merge together across platforms to guarantee a more steady player base in the face of doubts that it'll sustain?

I know it's a bummer thing to talk about right at launch but it really did hurt Titanfall 1 on PC. Game does not seem to discriminate much between gamepad and keyboard+mouse players anyway, despite their being potential for a gulf of skill between the two formats.

I imagine there's a lot of networking back end, especially being involved with a high profile publisher like EA that now runs some of its own server networks, that makes this quite a difficult task... But if that were a consideration, and remotely possible, I think it'd be a cool (though perhaps somewhat flawed) way to keep a player base sustained as long as possible.

Rocket League plays a lot more idealistically with a gamepad and it's made by an indie publisher that seems to have implemented their own multi-network structure without a lot of corporate overhead that something like EA might demand, nevermind the potential balancing problems that could arise between kb+m vs controller skill ceilings... But I personally feel kind of open to the idea, and I'm actually guilty of using an Xbox 360 controller during the bulk of my Titanfall 1 PC play -- and didn't perform very bad, honestly.

Man, the unlocks seem...fucking terrible. Every gun and titan has the same kit and none of it is really interesting. They basically did the exact thing they did with TF1, but now with more gaudy COD skins for everything.

That said, the MP is still really fun. Scorch and Legion are terrific.

In R1 almost every weapon has one attachment that defines its uniqueness, but in R2 they basically put the unique traits into the weapons out of the box, so all that left are the generic enhancements and optics, I'm OK with this though, not having to grind minion/pilot kills for CAR counterweight is great.

Izuna

Banned
Meh ;S

I know I asked for Attrition but it really doesn't work in this game.

I don't particularly like the Titan dynamic. You're not able to take your one Titan and wreck with it anymore. It isn't even about the battery system, it's the lack of maneuverability and maps not allowing for it.

Gator86

I cant even begin to describe how terrible Complex is. Yesh.

Basically all the maps feel like shit. The one with the bridge and the big valley seems hilariously bad. I just sat on one side with Legion and the game basically ended. Obviously, this will change once people are better, but yikes. The maps and unlocks/gear seem like a loss so far.

mjp2417

Banned
I'm not feeling some of the structural changes or maps yet, though I will give myself more time to come to a definitive conclusion on those, but holy fuck this game feels so good to play. It is just liquid, even more so than TF1.

Alx

Watched my friend play through the first chapter or so and oh boy. Looks great and fun to play.

I thought the first chapter was a bit tedious tbh. An hour-long tutorial that could have been shortened to 5 minutes. I'm glad I can start the real campaign now that it's over. :)

Izuna

Banned
Let's be real for a second. This MP is garbage in comparison to R1.

It may be the best multiplayer this year by far, but that's just a depressing realisation. Only some of the minor issues from Tech Test are fixed, like:

- EPG shooting slower (I think?)
- More obvious how much Bounty you're getting
- I "think" grenades recharge while you're in a Titan

And I think that's it. Obviously, we have more content than the Tech Test. More Titans, Weapons... Maps (a couple good maps in a sea of garbage is still a sea of garbage) ~~ but the game is just as disappointing as it was.

The campaign is really good, I can't even nit-pick. But I really wish I could just play R1 tbh. For me, R2 is an okay game with good ideas, where R1 was a phenomenal game that also had good ideas.

Also the UI is making levelling up feel very... pointless. You can't even see other people's levels so really, what's the point ;/

--

Attrition doesn't work in this game. I know I asked for it a million times but I suppose a part of me didn't realise how fundamentally different this game was from the original.

Because the game is out for like, 2 hours in the US...

i know, just still doesn't bode well.

just reminds me too much of R1, where the only way i could play the best modes [ctf, hp, lts, not in that order mind you] were with origin friends.

obviously every other mode i've tried matchmade in like seconds, regardless of any other factors.

Wow, Cloak is incredible. I can just fly through the map shooting my EVA-8 and still be invisible by the time I hit the corridor I was hopping towards. I had to back off after getting a kill out in the open in the first game.
It's way better than the alpha test. Code and I are stomping teams tonight.
I honestly had to take a break for a bit because it was just disgusting how large of a margin we were winning by.
Meh ;S

I know I asked for Attrition but it really doesn't work in this game.

I don't particularly like the Titan dynamic. You're not able to take your one Titan and wreck with it anymore. It isn't even about the battery system, it's the lack of maneuverability and maps not allowing for it.
Yeah, I'm enjoying Bounty Hunt way more. Which, I didn't expect at all.

The Titan combat seems way more cautionary; you try and throw something out there, and if it sticks you try and punish as hard as you can without overextending. That's mostly a consequence of the maps and lack of short flanking routes; you have to walk for at least 10-15 seconds to be able to flank easily now. The first game's Titan combat felt more "constant", for lack of a better word; there was an ever present push and pull during Titan fights.
lol, absolutely CANNOT get an LTS game going... this isn't boding well.

why the fuck did i buy this?!?
This is my biggest issue at the moment. Are there really no people playing LTS? That sounds crazy! I'm hoping something's bugged with the playlist.

Broman1978

Sorry if I am stupid or something =P . Why are you saying R1 and R2?
Played a couple of matches yesterday on Xbox...Soooo good! :D
Looks really good and the framerate was supersolid! (I play on Xbox One S)

Game shipped. These 2 words alone fail to convey all the late nights, the fear, exhaustion, pain, anxiety and frustration that were part of the process, but at the end of the day, if it helped bring just a little joy, a little sunlight into the player's life... That's probably worth it.

To all the players out there. Thank you for choosing our game. We live in a time where a million different games are all jostling for your money and time, and I'm grateful you've chosen to spend some of yours on mine.

Something about the multiplayer just feels wrong. The TTK feels really inconsistent, something about the movement feels off, maps are cluttered, and the UI is just so busy (which was a serious problem in the technical test, too; the UI is hot garbage).

Campaign is great, though. Neck-in-neck with Doom for my favorite singleplayer shooter of the year.

In R1 almost every weapon has one attachment that defines its uniqueness, but in R2 they basically put the unique traits into the weapons out of the box, so all that left are the generic enhancements and optics, I'm OK with this though, not having to grind minion/pilot kills for CAR counterweight is great.

Or the slam- cries

duckroll

Beat the second boss (Ash). The entire IMC Facility stage was really, really well made. Fun platforming, really nice visuals, and I LOVE how -free- everything feels when you're moving around. If you miss a jump and die, you die. If you want to try doing some alternate route that might be doable, you can do it. For a linear shooter campaign, the approach the level design is about as off rails as it can get. This is so much fun goddamn.

Izuna

Banned
It's insane how much better and informative the R1 UI was in comparison. So much that I don't really feel anything when I kill something.

bbd23

Game shipped. These 2 words alone fail to convey all the late nights, the fear, exhaustion, pain, anxiety and frustration that were part of the process, but at the end of the day, if it helped bring just a little joy, a little sunlight into the player's life... That's probably worth it.

To all the players out there. Thank you for choosing our game. We live in a time where a million different games are all jostling for your money and time, and I'm grateful you've chosen to spend some of yours on mine.

woah! I see you in the dota thread all the time. didn't know you worked on this. Congrats!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable

I bought your game. I hope it's as great as you want it to be and that you get some rest now :).

Karak

Something about the multiplayer just feels wrong. The TTK feels really inconsistent, something about the movement feels off, maps are cluttered, and the UI is just so busy (which was a serious problem in the technical test, too; the UI is hot garbage).

Or the slam- cries
Cant say I had most of those issues myself. Some but they faded over time.

The latency in multiplayer just gets worse with every match I play. I'm connected to the Oregon server with a meager 12ms ping, but I'm seeing of the worst rubber-banding and stuttering I've ever seen in any shooter running on dedicated servers.

I bought your game. I hope it's as great as you want it to be and that you get some rest now :).

Ahaha, a couple of us are still working some late nights even this week on DLC stuff, and of course there's like 16 or so people monitoring the servers even right now, so there's still a bit of work to do. And hopefully there won't be too many new bugs we find as a result of the game going live!

There's always still work to do, but the worst of it is probably behind us, and I hope you all enjoy the game.

It's fantastic.

Impulsor

I'm grateful you spent your time working on this game so we could enjoy playing it :D

The game is a joy to play and you can see all the care, love and work that was poured into making it.

So thanks!

And grats on the awesome reviews!

Izuna

Banned
Last complaint before I focus on what I love, the sound design needs some work. Too much gets drowned out at random times and I don't know if it's a bug, but certain callouts just don't happen

Now as for connectivity. It's incredible. I'm playing with 100ms ping (US server) and despite that, it feels more solid than R1 ever did (or any other game for that matter) ;)

duckroll

I like robots.

Izuna

Banned
The latency in multiplayer just gets worse with every match I play. I'm connected to the Oregon server with a meager 12ms ping, but I'm seeing of the worst rubber-banding and stuttering I've ever seen in any shooter running on dedicated servers.

Check to see if you getting packet losses.

pingtest.net

You made a game I'm in love with that's a sequel to another game I'm in love with. You guys are one of the best studios out there and this is the best stuff yet. Congratulations and thanks for the terrific game.

Izuna

Banned
You know, I wish I had the option to not care if a grunt is shooting at me. Unfortunately the feedback (and what shows up on the Radar) is exactly the same as if it was a Pilot or even Titan. So ;(

It's insane how much better and informative the R1 UI was in comparison. So much that I don't really feel anything when I kill something.
The big difference for me is that the actual elements on the R1 HUD blend in a lot better; the R2 HUD has slightly larger, colorful icons. I definitely would like a more minimalist HUD that doesn't pop out and distract like the current one does.
It'll likely stop sometime tomorrow. The servers are hosted on public cloud platforms (a couple datacenters explicitly have "GCE" in the name), so it's very likely that due to the userbase spiking in the past couple hours (since the game just came out!), AWS + GCE are migrating VMs like mad in order to properly accommodate the Titanfall 2 load while not degrade service for other customers.
So post your favorite loadouts so far? You grapple? Go stealth? What Titan you digging?
EVA-8 + Cloak. Just sneak into the entire enemy team and go nuts.

I tried using Northstar for a while, but didn't like him. That's probably gonna be an LTS-only thing for me. Scorch + Ronin are awesome, though.

Impulsor

So post your favorite loadouts so far? You grapple? Go stealth? What Titan you digging?

I don't know the names of the titans but I'm absolutely loving the last of the list, the heavy guy with a "mini"gun that can use a small shield on the gun and change between long and short range.

It wrecks.

For the Pilot I like having the grapple for extra mobility + climbing on titans. I have to try the cloaked guy.

For weapons I using the assault rifle, which I love.

Beat the second boss (Ash). The entire IMC Facility stage was really, really well made. Fun platforming, really nice visuals, and I LOVE how -free- everything feels when you're moving around. If you miss a jump and die, you die. If you want to try doing some alternate route that might be doable, you can do it. For a linear shooter campaign, the approach the level design is about as off rails as it can get. This is so much fun goddamn.

:D

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment

You're about to have some fun now.

Absolutely loving the mp. It's so fucking smooth and haven't experienced any lag. Hit detection is incredible.

Had to laugh, played someone in coliseum. I beat him. /"sent him a gg and he goes "no it wasn't you were jumping around like an idiot" lololololol

Check to see if you getting packet losses.

pingtest.net

Doesn't work with Google Chrome. But I never see packet loss on other titles running on dedis, like Battlefield, Halo, and Gears. Could the problem be specific to Titanfall 2?

Note: the only game I listed above that I didn't play on PC was Halo 5.

Izuna

Banned
The big difference for me is that the actual elements on the R1 HUD blend in a lot better; the R2 HUD has slightly larger, colorful icons. I definitely would like a more minimalist HUD that doesn't pop out and distract like the current one does.

"Dear Respawn, who gets the points for killing this Titan?"

"Well, did you doom it?"

"Yeah."

"Well did the Pilot Eject?"

"No."

"Well did you get the last hit in to blow up the Titan?"

"... are you kidding me?"

~~ If you play in a certain way that you're prep for Goosing, chances are you're not getting the Attrition Points for killing the Titan. Does it matter in the grand scheme of things? Only as much as there being a scoreboard.

Attrition is just broke here. I really wish the Radar blips only came from Pilots (maybe Titans) but not AI. I understand that Reapers, Spectres and AI Titans are huge threats (now), but because there's no way to tell which part of the map is populated with minions or not, Attrition is basically TDM with bots now.

Like literally, now it's the mode everyone thought they hated.

I may just go back to the awesome campaign and give up with multiplayer.

This game sure looks pretty. 1440p and all settings maxed out.

Titanfall%202%2010.27.2016%20-%2020.38.51.01.png~original

Top Bottom