• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

CxhrjJZXEAAS3v9.jpg

Like I said earlier. Join the network (PS4) if you feel like it! Very very active and welcomed a few gaf members in tonight

Gator86

Palpable frustration from playing tonight. Goddamn, some people refuse to do anything to help. I have 4 pilots crawling on me. Maybe shoot one? Melee one? Just watch or wander around aimlessly? Definitely! It's definitely time to quit for the day when you're involuntarily screaming at teammates to do something, literally anything, out loud in your living room.

If your teammates are bad, being in a Titan is miserable. I stopped even wanting to call one in because I knew I'd have 6 titan weapons spraying at me in seconds.

BiGBoSSMk23

A company being excited for their new game is a huge slap in the face to all the fans that liked their old games.
CxhrjJZXEAAS3v9.jpg

Like I said earlier. Join the network (PS4) if you feel like it! Very very active and welcomed a few gaf members in tonight

Alright, joining up. Let's see if you guys can teach me sum'n

BiGBoSSmk23

Alx

What's result? Instead of using the fast-mobility parkour mechanics, I'm instead huddling in windows and behind over because I know the second I step out into the open I'm going to be instantly shot dead because gambling on a lack of cover is punished so fiercely.

Staying behind windows isn't a safe strategy either, you may get one or two kills that way, but your opponents will quickly locate you and either flank you or shoot you from afar. The more static you are, the more likely you are to be shot in the back by a player who's running around the map.
It's true that simply running in the open is suicide, but that's where the mobility is useful. If you build momentum though wall running and/or slide from cover to cover (there are many obstacles and rails that offer protection), you're a target much harder to hit.
You can also use your tactical abilities to reduce the risks when crossing an open area (hook, cloak or stim).

Dez_

Spent most of the last couple of days playing with the Volt. I got too used to it now. I tried to go back to some other weapons I was comfortable with and got totally destroyed, ha ha ha! I'm about to hit Gen 3, and I'm still really enjoying the game's multiplayer.

Demoskinos

Staying behind windows isn't a safe strategy either, you may get one or two kills that way, but your opponents will quickly locate you and either flank you or shoot you from afar. The more static you are, the more likely you are to be shot in the back by a player who's running around the map.
It's true that simply running in the open is suicide, but that's where the mobility is useful. If you build momentum though wall running and/or slide from cover to cover (there are many obstacles and rails that offer protection), you're a target much harder to hit.
You can also use your tactical abilities to reduce the risks when crossing an open area (hook, cloak or stim).

This. You need to constantly be on the move and using your abilities to your advantage and set up your kit to work in synergy with each other. For instance I really like using the Stimpack ability with the shot gun. Lets me close the gap quickly to get in for kills.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I wasn't to keen on this game during the beta, but I finally bought it and seeing my ronin melee kill an enemy titan for the first time, I think i made the right choice.

Seriously, what's with the fat ass Titans blocking each other? I get that you need a sense of physicality, and being able to "pass" through Titans would make everything feel a little ditached. But god damn, MOVE OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY!

Alx

Seriously, what's with the fat ass Titans blocking each other? I get that you need a sense of physicality, and being able to "pass" through Titans would make everything feel a little ditached. But god damn, MOVE OUT OF MY FUCKING WAY!

Punch them or shoot them in the ass. It may send a message, or it may just make you feel better. :D
Titans blocking each other is actually great when you try to nuclear eject in a crowd.

I'm done. This game is shit. Waste of dame money. I'm going back to Overwatch. Faster this game dies off the better.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

EDIT: lmao Pilots vs Pilots is as bad as in TF1, you are basically limited to several set of weapons and tacticals if you want to succeed, and play extremely conservatively.

I'm done. This game is shit. Waste of dame money. I'm going back to Overwatch. Faster this game dies off the better.

If you're getting frustated with a game like this you need to stop playing long before you get to this point.

That's something I need to practice doing as well.

When you feel the onset of frustration it's time to stop playing for the day. A game isn't worth putting yourself into a shitty mood.

SwolBro

Banned
EDIT: lmao Pilots vs Pilots is as bad as in TF1, you are basically limited to several set of weapons and tacticals if you want to succeed, and play extremely conservatively.
it's no where as near as bad as the pilot v pilot in tf1. it's actually a fun mode when people aren't abusing cloak.

I've played hundreds of hours of the crucible/trials of osiris in Destiny in the last year, and it's set my expectations for strategic FPS combat extremely high. Compared to Titanfall, Destiny's PVP experience feels EXTREMELY nuanced, tense and dramatic.

I'm just not having fun, but the game is an obvious technical achievement. Am I alone here?
Even though i agree with some of the stuff you said there is no way in fucking hell Destiny is better than this. Destiny is one of the most frustrating FPS out. It's made for people that think and move slowly. Nothing you do fast will translate on the screen. You have to fucking wait for animations to finish in order to accomplish your next move.

Sorry but my mind doesn't function slow enough for that shit. Not to mention all the balancing issues, the horrible P2P connections, 30fps....

it blows my fucking mind how popular that game became

GlamFM

Banned
Hey guys. Finished the campaign yesterday and I´m starting to get into MP.

Doing pretty good already.

Could you suggest a good run&gun loadout?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hey guys. Finished the campaign yesterday and I´m starting to get into MP.

Doing pretty good already.

Could you suggest a good run&gun loadout?
Stim/Cloak + Eva + Mastiff/Charge Rifle + Cooldown + Low Profile (lowest priority) + Amped or maybe Smart Pistol.

You can replace Eva with Volt if you are on PC and/or have bad ass aiming/skating skills.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
I can't pass up a chance to bash Destiny PVP. Yep, the 30fps isn't good enough for a competitive game. The connections are completely insane, I mean I've wasted all three shots of a Golden Gun before in that game because hit registration for the first shot was slow that I thought I missed. The bullet magnetism stuff has no place in PVP either. The weapons are never remotely balanced no matter how much they try and mess with the PVE as a side effect. The supers are cheesy. Heavy weapons are cheesy. The FOV feels insanely low even by console standards, the stupid motion detector encourages camping the awful swiss cheese style maps that feel like a collection of every universally hated COD map ever tossed into a single game.

The PVE is a fantastic cooperative experience that I hope is greatly refined with 60FPS PS4Pro/Scorpio magic in the sequel. But the PVP is probably the worst competitive shooter I've played.

Maybe a version of TF2 with higher TTK would be fun, but the speed you can get out of the parkour would probably make disengagement a little too common and make the whole thing kind of frustrating. I think I like the TTK in this game, but it does suffer a little from lag and lag comp. Phase Shift can be mighty inconsistent in getting you out of a jam, it's an awful feeling when you hit that button before the enemy shoots and you somehow die anyway. Not an inherent problem with the game design, just bad internet. And besides, LTS gives you that high TTK strategic game mode already.

Izuna

Banned
Wow this is so much bullshit
Like the OT Title!!!

I guess a bit of "magnetic" autoaim (on Titans) for the 40mm is ok, but this amount is just insane.
Especially if you consider the Tone is more likely shooting a Pilot or Turret...

It's the gravity star causing that lol

After playing MP for a few more hours tonight, the sad reality is that I'm more frustrated than entertained. It's only now that I can put my finger on why it's enraging me so badly.

1. Time to kill is WAY WAY WAY too short. Two good body shots with a rifle is a kill. The result is no tension, no dramatic turnarounds made possible by quick thinking and mobility, just death after unsatisfying death. I find that with such a short TTK, good gun skills aren't as necessary or rewarded.

2. Weapon ranges are WAY WAY WAY too long. Most engagements are happening at super long distances because the maps need to accommodate titans, which means there's no short/medium/long game, only "long." By the time an enemy is on your radar, you're already dead, so that many of your deaths seem to come out of bloody nowhere the second you're exposed.

What's result? Instead of using the fast-mobility parkour mechanics, I'm instead huddling in windows and behind over because I know the second I step out into the open I'm going to be instantly shot dead because gambling on a lack of cover is punished so fiercely.

I've played hundreds of hours of the crucible/trials of osiris in Destiny in the last year, and it's set my expectations for strategic FPS combat extremely high. Compared to Titanfall, Destiny's PVP experience feels EXTREMELY nuanced, tense and dramatic.

I'm just not having fun, but the game is an obvious technical achievement. Am I alone here?

I too have played hundreds of hours of crucible/trials, with tens of successful trials runs and I never felt that Destiny's PVP was especially well refined. The myriad of variables introduced by the games RPG systems makes for some horribly unbalanced gameplay and competitive play like trials is sullied by some awkward design choices. Supers allow for clutch plays and supplement skillful gameplay, and a revive system that rewards the revived and reviving is just straight up stupid, coupled with peer to peer networking and it's on the low end of the multiplayer spectrum in terms of gameplay quality.

Destiny aside I think you need to spend more time with the game. You say there is no close ranged gameplay but that just does not match up with my experience. I run around with the Volt and Alternator as my primary weapons, parkouring around the maps with close and mid range as my dominant areas of gunplay.

I also frequently use this mobility in conjunction with powerups to create the dramatic turn arounds that you say aren't possible in the game due to the time to kill. If anything the time to kill makes many of these manuevers possible, I wouldn't be able to rush a room, wall run and slide around it while killing everyone inside if it wasn't for the fast TTK. The ability to move from target to target so quickly facilitates these plays.

Obviously there are pros and cons when it comes to the advantages of a higher versus lower time to kill, but I think suggesting that the TTK here is causing the game to play like some stagnant iteration of Call of Duty suggests that you haven't explored many of the games systems. I have not shared your experience at all, there are features in the game that I feel make long ranged encounters a little too encouraged, but mobility driven close ranged playstyles are still incredibly viable.

Top Bottom