• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

As it is it's pretty balanced, i can play like a ninja and get rewarded as it is. When i started playing i used to get shot at every attempt at wall running but now that i get it, it is an advantage over players playing stationary. Just don't run on the open without a strategy, maps are big enough to have flanking routes.

Edit: Also, with higher TTK, campers might become a plague. As of now if you move fast you can get the drop on a camper pretty easily but with higher TTK it'l become a lot harder.

Right now with high ttk, anyone can camp with any wearpon easily. Increasing TTk means less weapons can kill you fast.

You can snipe people across the map easily with any of the basic assault rifles and quick.

Keihart

Haha, this argument will continue to go in circles. I agree that you can use the movement to your advantage, but I don't think to its full capacity. In regard to your edit, I've never seen a higher TTK promote camping, it always does the opposite. You'd have less people camping in the first place if there were higher a higher TTK because ranged killings would be less prominent due to more people freely moving throughout the map (because of increased survivability when wall running and such).

i mean, i agree with you if you also nerfed snipers an burst rifles...not sure i would like to see that tho.

E92 M3

Right now with high ttk, anyone can camp with any wearpon easily. Increasing TTk means less weapons can kill you fast.

You can snipe people across the map easily with any of the basic assault rifles and quick.

Camping is completely ineffective for winning games. TTK is perfect for the gameplay Titanfall promotes.

I massively hate the assumption that the ability to kill people effectively at range or successfully camp these days means there's been a failure in the game's intrinsic design. Such bullshit. Use your eyes.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Titanfall 2 is definitely a step down from the first game when it comes to encouraging camping, but I do not get anywhere as annoyed and pissed off with it as I did in Call of Duty games, especially Modern Warfare. I also agree that camping is an ineffective strategy for winning even if you're playing Bounty Hunt, in which case can be mitigated with cloak or pulse blade.

While I do get some cheap kills by campers, for the most part they choose spots that leave them easily exposed.

Revas

Just doubled up and grabbed the Xbox version to supplement the PC version I've been enjoying. Is Xbox Titangaf more popping than PC Titangaf?

I massively hate the assumption that the ability to kill people effectively at range or successfully camp these days means there's been a failure in the game's intrinsic design. Such bullshit. Use your eyes.

Being able to effectively camp in Titanfall means there's been a failure in the games intrinsic design. The game promotes movement, camping is choosing not to move and punishing those that do. If TF2 were a campers dream I simply wouldn't play it.

Ironic that you drew assertions from well reasoned arguments and made an assertion yourself. Maybe you should use your eyes.

My argument is also not a "I can't play Titanfall waaa so make it like this other shooter" complaint. I consistently do very well and I use the maneuverability the game offers more than most people I see playing, but it's because it's fun, not always because it's viable. I use it most for flanking, finding a good vantage point, or preparation for combat. For actual in-combat use though? It's not always that great besides the sliding. You aren't rewarded well for wall running during combat encounters; the person on the ground looking at you wall running will kill you a majority of the time even if they're less skilled than you. Wall running first of all makes you very visible, it also makes you more vulnerable since aiming is harder when you're moving. Yes, you are harder to hit because you're moving faster, but if someone has their sites on you and gets a shot on you you're dead. Taking more than a couple quick hits to take you down would allow for more reason to wall run in combat and juke the static player, enabling more interesting shootouts. I still have crazy encounters, but a vast majority of them are you stopping in your tracks and shooting another player that's doing the same thing.

Edit: All of this may not be the intent of Respawn anyway, they may like it where it is, but I'm just saying it's not where I'd like it to be. I would like the shootout encounters to be more interesting, and I think a higher TTK would make wall running much more prevalent and viable in combat. It would also reduce camping and that feeling of "randomness" that Respawn mentioned in one of their statements about map design changes. It would allow more reaction to attacks, and more possibility of evasion through out-maneuvering the enemy.

When you're at work and all you wanna do is play.

fo9gne.jpg

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly haven't run into many campers, outside of Hardpoint, but they're playing the objective so I can't really hate too much.

You get people on rooftops but they're easy enough to deal with.

The ones I do find hiding in the corners are usually awful and end up either getting turned on, or an easy kill next time.

joecanada

After playing MP for a few more hours tonight, the sad reality is that I'm more frustrated than entertained. It's only now that I can put my finger on why it's enraging me so badly.

1. Time to kill is WAY WAY WAY too short. Two good body shots with a rifle is a kill. The result is no tension, no dramatic turnarounds made possible by quick thinking and mobility, just death after unsatisfying death. I find that with such a short TTK, good gun skills aren't as necessary or rewarded.

2. Weapon ranges are WAY WAY WAY too long. Most engagements are happening at super long distances because the maps need to accommodate titans, which means there's no short/medium/long game, only "long." By the time an enemy is on your radar, you're already dead, so that many of your deaths seem to come out of bloody nowhere the second you're exposed.

What's result? Instead of using the fast-mobility parkour mechanics, I'm instead huddling in windows and behind over because I know the second I step out into the open I'm going to be instantly shot dead because gambling on a lack of cover is punished so fiercely.

I've played hundreds of hours of the crucible/trials of osiris in Destiny in the last year, and it's set my expectations for strategic FPS combat extremely high. Compared to Titanfall, Destiny's PVP experience feels EXTREMELY nuanced, tense and dramatic.

I'm just not having fun, but the game is an obvious technical achievement. Am I alone here?

the maps aren't all great but you definitely don't need to be out in the open long and when you do that's what cloak and stim and clone are meant for. a shotgun, stim , amped weapons loadout is very good, you just stick to the tunnels/buildings or the alternative is if you are out in the open you need to get good at parkour and moving fast.

I happen to love semi autos like the G2 so you can expect me out there in the open.... this is the kind of engagement you will want to avoid.

I've seen better vids but this one is decent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkNPksQBbSo

also I have noticed that a lot of these players have routes they seem to run... to get from one side of an area to the next. or even to circle say a given building. I have always been a mid range player so G2 is my favorite for now but I am working on my run and gun for this game which ideally includes slides, parkour, boosts, etc.

Just doubled up and grabbed the Xbox version to supplement the PC version I've been enjoying. Is Xbox Titangaf more popping than PC Titangaf?

Being able to effectively camp in Titanfall means there's been a failure in the games intrinsic design. The game promotes movement, camping is choosing not to move and punishing those that do. If TF2 were a campers dream I simply wouldn't play it.

No it means it is balanced. Still players can aim better and moving players are making themselves hard to hit and are trying to flank. It's a constant back and forth cat and mouse design. If you completely punish and nerf camping to death then you get a COD: IW situation, which is everyone running in circles with SMGs until they accidentally flank someone, ad infinitum.

Ironic that you drew assertions from well reasoned arguments and made an assertion yourself. Maybe you should use your eyes.

My argument is also not a "I can't play Titanfall waaa so make it like this other shooter" complaint. I consistently do very well and I use the maneuverability the game offers more than most people I see playing, but it's because it's fun, not always because it's viable. I use it most for flanking, finding a good vantage point, or preparation for combat. For actual in-combat use though? It's not always that great besides the sliding. You aren't rewarded well for wall running during combat encounters; the person on the ground looking at you wall running will kill you a majority of the time even if they're less skilled than you. Wall running first of all makes you very visible, it also makes you more vulnerable since aiming is harder when you're moving. Yes, you are harder to hit because you're moving faster, but if someone has their sites on you and gets a shot on you you're dead. Taking more than a couple quick hits to take you down would allow for more reason to wall run in combat and juke the static player, enabling more interesting shootouts. I still have crazy encounters, but a vast majority of them are you stopping in your tracks and shooting another player that's doing the same thing.

Edit: All of this may not be the intent of Respawn anyway, they may like it where it is, but I'm just saying it's not where I'd like it to be. I would like the shootout encounters to be more interesting, and I think a higher TTK would make wall running much more prevalent and viable in combat. It would also reduce camping and that feeling of "randomness" that Respawn mentioned in one of their statements about map design changes.

I just think that makes wall running balanced. I don't think you should be rewarded with near invincibility for choosing to wall run at all times. You should be selective about it. I see no reason why a player wall running in full view of someone standing still should not get gunned down if they're taking advantage of the aiming buff you get from being still and ADS. The wall runner does have an advantage here because wall running bestows greater speed and can jump of at any time bestowing yet further speed, including the ability to change their angle of movement.

I will say that the people I'm generally disagreeing with tend to quite often be on console and it could be that mass use of kb/m might make the game on PC quite different.

KorrZ

Camping isn't the same kind of problem in this game as it is in COD because there aren't really any spots where you can't be reached from a bunch of different locations. You can't just sit on a door and wait.

Yeah I get killed by people camping a window or rooftop but I can instantly be on their ass within a few seconds of spawning and flush them out.

E92 M3

No it means it is balanced. Still players can aim better and moving players are making themselves hard to hit and are trying to flank. It's a constant back and forth cat and mouse design. If you completely punish and nerf camping to death then you get a COD: IW situation, which is everyone running in circles with SMGs until they accidentally flank someone, ad infinitum.

I just think that makes wall running balanced. I don't think you should be rewarded with near invincibility for choosing to wall run at all times. You should be selective about it. I see no reason why a player wall running in full view of someone standing still should not get gunned down if they're taking advantage of the aiming buff you get from being still and ADS. The wall runner does have an advantage here because wall running bestows greater speed and can jump of at any time bestowing yet further speed, including the ability to change their angle of movement.

I will say that the people I'm generally disagreeing with tend to quite often be on console and it could be that mass use of kb/m might make the game on PC quite different.

Yep, you make good points and IW is complete garbage. If it wasn't for CoD4 the game would've bombed very hard.

Yet again, lost to anot her team of 100% Tones. Sigh. Starting to lose interest.

Pretty much Gen 6 and never had this problem (but I don't play LTS).

No it means it is balanced. Still players can aim better and moving players are making themselves hard to hit and are trying to flank. It's a constant back and forth cat and mouse design. If you completely punish and nerf camping to death then you you COD: I, which is everyone running in circles with SMGs until they accidentally flank someone, ad infinitum.

You're right, I'm playing it on Xbox One and I could see it being very different on PC.

You're also right that all things being equal (player skill, weapons used, etc.) the player with ADS should be able to gun down the wall runner more often than not, but I still think (on console at least) the discrepancy is too great and does nothing to promote wall running beyond means for traversal. I also think that when the wall runner is getting shot at, he should be able to have more time to react, where right now it feels like if you're being shot at, you're most likely toast.

Camping is always an option in Titanfall, no matter 1 or 2, and it is not going to win you games in Titanfall modes (read: PvP doesn't count). Also yeah on consoles you can survive way longer by working your movement because people are harder to hit you.

Bydobob

Maybe a version of TF2 with higher TTK would be fun, but the speed you can get out of the parkour would probably make disengagement a little too common and make the whole thing kind of frustrating.

This little nugget here. TTK has to be low to allow for those wall running or mid-air kills. Imagine having to turn around each time back to you opponent to finish the job off. It would ruin the fluidity as well as encourage more ranged combat, something TF2 has enough of already.

Maffis

Has there been any info so far on upcoming ads-sensitivity slider? I want to get into this game but controlling the aim doesn't feel good for me.

Revas

Have you played Titanfall 1? There's literally no camping in Attrition and it's nothing like IW. I completely disagree with your concept of how camping and wallrunning balance one another out. The viability of waiting in a given spot for enemies to enter your field of view gives players less incentive to learn how to move around and use the map and the mechanics of the game. Titanfall is not COD. The movement system is not something tacked on that you can do. It's hardwired into the foundation of the game and players should be rewarded for utilizing proper movement. Where's the risk/reward balance for a person hiding in an obscure location vs a guy parkouring all over the place, being harder to hit (which depends largely on player skill) is not good enough.

joecanada

Camping is always an option in Titanfall, no matter 1 or 2, and it is not going to win you games in Titanfall modes (read: PvP doesn't count). Also yeah on consoles you can survive way longer by working your movement because people are harder to hit you.

also even in cod, bf, tf camping is limited to "oh I sat up on this hard to reach spot and got a couple kills".... if you play anything but tdm it makes no difference to the outcome.

Additionally in TF2 there are so many good modes like scavenger where camping would be absolutely useless, except for of course defending the banks but that is always an all out war and can't be considered camping. hell you should be throwing gravity stars or electric smoke into those banks every time unless you are there first. if you don't then that's your poor play.

Zemm

You can camp, and people do, but it's definitely not effective to winning games.

I feel like the TTK is in the right place, it doesn't feel frustrating. I'm able to react to people shooting me with Stim or Phase Shift easily. I can kill people that get the drop on me, even when I need to do a 180, although of course I'm at a disadvantage in that situation as I should be.

I wouldn't be against a slightly higher TTK in theory but I feel like it's just going to widen an already quite big skill gap, and frustrate more people when the person they're trying to kill gets away more easily through good movement.

KodaRuss

Am I crazy for thinking the volt is terrible compared to the Car? I tried the Volt out for a little bit last night and I was getting trashed with it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Am I crazy for thinking the volt is terrible compared to the Car? I tried the Volt out for a little bit last night and I was getting trashed with it.
I think it's more that the Volt's hipfire accuracy is pretty high. Once you get run and gun with it, you can just run around killing things at mid range while never dropping speed.

Gator86

Having put so many hours in the game (halfway through gen 4), a lot of issues are apparent and glaring:

-These maps are terrible. Complex and crash site are trash
-Reapers have to lose collision detection. It ruins Attrition games late. You lose all mobility and fights are determined by who gets boxed in by their own minions
-Titan executions are still broken. People are still arguing as to whether you even need to hold the button or not.
-Melee is janky as fuck with pilots.
-Cloak needs serious tweaking
-Northstar could use a buff
-Ronin could use a bigger clip size for his primary.
-Tone is still cheesy bullshit and great at everything.
-Game needs legitimate perk options. Is there anyone not running low profile just because every other option is fucking shit?
-There needs to be a comprehensive and well-done stats and challenges system that will help provide longevity for the playerbase.
-Higher tickrate servers would be great. Tired of flopping over dead for no reason mid phase shift.

KodaRuss

Having put so many hours in the game (halfway through gen 4), a lot of issues are apparent and glaring:

-These maps are terrible. Complex and crash site and trash
-Reapers have to lose collision detection. It ruins Attrition games late. You lose all mobility and fights are determined by who gets boxed in by their own minions
-Titan executions are still broken. People are still arguing as to whether you even need to hold the button or not.
-Melee is janky as fuck with pilots.
-Cloak needs serious tweaking
-Northstar could use a buff
-Tone is still cheesy bullshit and great at everything.
-Game needs legitimate perk options. Is there anyone not running low profile just because every other option is fucking shit?
-There needs to be a comprehensive and well-done stats and challenges system that will help provide longevity for the playerbase.
-Higher tickrate servers would be great. Tired of flopping over dead for no reason mid phase shift.

Maybe it is time to move on to another game... Some good points that I think a lot of people agree on but you are pretty consistently very negative about the game over and over.

Are we expecting an update on Respawn's blog today? Hopefully they have some stuff to share because they have been pretty quiet.

Gator86

Maybe it is time to move on to another game... Some good points that I think a lot of people agree on but you are pretty consistently very negative about the game over and over.

Are we expecting an update on Respawn's blog today? Hopefully they have some stuff to share because they have been pretty quiet.

Enh, I'm still having a lot of fun, but there's definitely stuff for them to work on. I spend more time being critical of games on here, which is the point of the site, and less time just peeking in to say I had a really fun match so it comes off as more negative. It's probably my goty right now, but that doesn't mean it's perfect.

KodaRuss

I think it's more that the Volt's hipfire accuracy is pretty high. Once you get run and gun with it, you can just run around killing things at mid range while never dropping speed.

That must be my problem. I have run and gun on the Car.

Also, checked out Ronin with Nuclear last night. I was way wrong on that before. I killed 4-5 Titans in two matches with it, instantly got another Titan right away.

One time I pinned a very high heath Tone to a wall and he couldn't move as I was exploding (that felt good).

Alx

My best match yet, got half the score and we barely won.

288821.jpg

Ha, there's some truth to it. Sometimes when one of your teammates is too good, it becomes harder to score points. "Hey, were are all the ennemies ? Oh here's one, let's get him... never mind, our MVP killed him already".

Nah, his weapon already creates huge damage at close range, with a very good firing rate, having to reload it often is a good way to balance it.

That must be my problem. I have run and gun on the Car.

Also, checked out Ronin with Nuclear last night. I was way wrong on that before. I killed 4-5 Titans in two matches with it, instantly got another Titan right away.

One time I pinned a very high heath Tone to a wall and he couldn't move as I was exploding (that felt good).

Do you have any tips on doing that? When I first started running nuclear Ronin, I would get a couple of Titan kills from nuclear, but I find it harder and harder to do now. I know it's easy to run away from a nuclear eject so maybe I was only having success from newer players?

Alx

Yes that's the risk with nuclear eject, if titans have dash (or phase shift) and an escape route, they can avoid the explosion and you will have killed your titan for nothing.
It works best when titans are in a group and block each other (higher chance of being destroyed before you can eject though), with slower titans like Legion, or using the environment to block them.

KodaRuss

Do you have any tips on doing that? When I first started running nuclear Ronin, I would get a couple of Titan kills from nuclear, but I find it harder and harder to do now. I know it's easy to run away from a nuclear eject so maybe I was only having success from newer players?

There is definitely a lot of luck involved in it. I have only been killed a few times myself (accidently dashed into one instead of away). Look for enemy Titans are bunched up, fly in there in there to blow up and eject.

Also, like I did to that Tone back them into a corner and hit it. This works really well on everyone's favorite map (Crash Site). The congested maps work really well for it.

Another tip would be to hit your smoke right before you do it as to hide the animation of your preexplosion and possibly mask the sound a little.

E92 M3

Maps are the biggest flaw. I'd like to see Northstar and Ronin buffed which in turn will further balance all Titan classes. Weapon balance is as perfect as it can get and the game is extremely fun.

Even after losing, I still want to play one more match.

Keihart

Maps are the biggest flaw. I'd like to see Northstar and Ronin buffed which in turn will further balance all Titan classes. Weapon balance is as perfect as it can get and the game is extremely fun.

Even after losing, I still want to play one more match.

After testing every titan i think that most of them acomodate a diferent playstile...except for Ronin...what is the point of Ronin? Maybe is a joke of Respawn, they made the coolest titan the weakest one so everyone that uses it does it because how cool it is.

Without nuclear ejection i don't see the point, maybe they should take out nuclear ejection as a kit and make it Ronin exclusive.

I know it has probably been asked a lot, but how's the PC community for this game? I already bought and sold it back on XB1 and am kind of thinking about giving it another shot on PC. Especially, since I wrote off the Single player figuring it was a typical FPS story and now everybody is saying how good it is.

I know it has probably been asked a lot, but how's the PC community for this game? I already bought and sold it back on XB1 and am kind of thinking about giving it another shot on PC. Especially, since I wrote off the Single player figuring it was a typical FPS story and now everybody is saying how good it is.

There's about 4000 - 6000 people when I play, low, but the matchmaking is fast enough to where it doesn't really matter.

How in the hell does somebody (a random on my team) get 2 points in Attrition? How is that possible?

He was there from the beginning of the match, and he wasn't AFK.

I must surely be the first videogame he's ever played right?

E92 M3

How in the hell does somebody (a random on my team) get 2 points in Attrition? How is that possible?

He was there from the beginning of the match, and he wasn't AFK.

I must surely be the first videogame he's ever played right?

Hopefully a sign of new players trying the game. The more the merrier ;)

Top Bottom