• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

KodaRuss

Damn tonight was probably the first night I lost more games than I won. Not sure what happened either since I was in a group of people I have played with before.

I am not a fan of Bounty Hunt, had a full team of high levels with Titans all game ruining us. I might just stick to Attrition.

As for the campaign, I finished it and man, are there Portal levels of ideas in there. Genuinely enjoyed the creativity and, of course, BT. Hope we get to see another one someday!

Got a metric buttload of Buffalo Wild Wings codes tonight if anyone wants some. From what I can tell from already trying to give them out, they're pretty much only good for one-per-person since the Coliseum is easy enough to get into. Quote for codes picture and if you guys need more, I'll throw more up. Threw the link in an email tag so I hope that works to deter lurkers, but whatever, seriously have an entire book of 'em.

Thanks! I used the bottom right code.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Is it unacceptable to get low points (<60) but not die much? Because I'm having what I feel like are pretty solid games and I'm surprised by the low points at the end. Getting assists and being useful (I think lol)

mooooose

Just started the single player. Tutorial took awhile, as the game was still installing, and as a Titanfall vet, it all started slow. However, the action definitely picked up and the first boss was great. Looking forward to playing more.

Keihart

Ok, yes. Pilot vs pilot is full of campers...it looks stupid and they usually don't win so i don't get it. It has made me get better at moving and aiming tho since i have to constantly ninja my way through enemy fire.
This mode should have some restrictions to work properly i think maybe...and to be completely honest, i don't see myself winning the encounters if TTK was longer, being able to kill enemies while on air with half a clip and land on the next wall ready for anything is a pro on movement instead of a con.

Rayme

Is there something wrong with the matchmaking in this game? I've been playing for 2 hours (Attrition) and although I'm usually the 2nd or 3rd best on the team, the games are always blowouts like 500 to 200. I'm considering refunding it.

Bliddo

The gauntlet trophy is killing me, I can't figure out how to keep momentum in the last room.

It took me an hour to get mile high club back in the day, now after almost three hourse the best I can do is around 36 seconds. I'm getting old.

The gauntlet trophy is killing me, I can't figure out how to keep momentum in the last room.

It took me an hour to get mile high club back in the day, now after almost three hourse the best I can do is around 36 seconds. I'm getting old.

This was my run (PS4 version) -- the ending part is indeed very tough but I found that sticking to the left wall was best. I came in 3rd place, which is minimum for the trophy, but I was at it for 2.5 hours straight and my right hand was super cramped and continued to be mildly sore the next day. Too much tension from so many botched runs.

Moobabe

Finished the story last night and, I suppose, I'll add my voice to the many who praised it.

Fun, surprising and almost consistently engaging.

If only I could play the MP for more than one game at a time (thanks to a bug) I'd probably be knee deep in that as well.

Rayme

Question:

Can I have it so my right click only zooms when I press it rather than it staying on zoom until I click out?

Yes; if you go to customize key bindings, you'll see it as a separate binding option (directly above or below what you've currently got for mouse2).

Zemm

I just thought about it but all the pilot skins are kind of useless since you can barely make them out in game anyway. Should have gone with hats.

Zemm

Cloak, EVA and Volt need a nerf. Very soon the meta will be two of those three things. It pretty much already is. The other guns are massively worse than those two and cloak is just shit. You can run around for a good 30-60 seconds in some matches with no one to shoot because 2-3 of them are cloaked.

Cloak campers are becoming a meta on console really fast. Controller is too slow to react to them and the kill am is just them crouching in the bushes with cloak on waiting.

The amount of bullets to kill is like 2 so stealth campers have no reason not to do it and there's nothing a player can really do to stop it

deoee

Multiple Tones just make this game unfun, I have to say it every time I encounter more than two per Match.
It's such a boring playstyle and low effort Titan

Zemm

Like I'm glad I'm not getting into games half-way through but the amount of games that start 6v5 or 6v4 and stay that way the whole match is fucking ridiculous.

HelloMeow

You can run around for a good 30-60 seconds in some matches with no one to shoot because 2-3 of them are cloaked.

It's the maps as well as the stuff that promotes camping like cloak. Even if you remove cloak, the maps are still massive with too few routes for flanking and too little verticality to engage campers.

Cloak, EVA and Volt need a nerf. Very soon the meta will be two of those three things. It pretty much already is. The other guns are massively worse than those two and cloak is just shit. You can run around for a good 30-60 seconds in some matches with no one to shoot because 2-3 of them are cloaked.

D: I refuse to give up my Alternator!

... but I agree. EVA-8 in proficient hands is very tough to deal with.

ghostwich

Feedback can come from many places. Examples:

• The usual suspects (forums, twitter, twitch, hanging out in game, etc.)
  • User generated data (server stats).
  • Certain specific devs become the internal voice of a player type.
  • Survey random people you run into outside of work.
  • Wide public surveys (check out immersyve.com).

Cool - it's tough to discern signal vs noise for sure.

We're in a weird new world of "feedback" with social media, forums, etc. all contributing in ways we didn't really have five, ten years ago. Not making a broad comparison by any means, but as a single data point, Massive flew people (pros and joes) to Sweden to stop the backslide of The Division - that's huge. Respawn got people in to play the early release candidate - also a bold move.

Been a fan since the Infinity Ward days and Titanfall 1, so I'm rooting for you guys.

(And psst Crash Site yields horribly one-sided matches, I'm looking forward to some of the new maps coming up and please don't make them all legacy maps from Titanfall 1, even though I would still 100% play those.)

Ricker

Cant beat the second Boss yet,you get stuck in the environments so much,it slows you down and get pelted because of this,it was the same deal with Kane...the Assembly line section was great but man so many instant deaths in there lol...loving it though (playing on regular).

Well, almost nobody uses snipers and shotguns right now so I think a higher TTK would actually give reason to use these.

I'd list the other benefits that a higher TTK would bring but I've already said it multiple times in this thread. What I will say is that if you look at popular arena shooters over the years, a higher TTK is almost necessary qualifier. Fast movement speed matched with a quick TTK introduces the "randomness" factor that Respawn was trying to get away from in Titanfall 1, but I think they went in a weird direction and didn't entirely understand the origin of the issue. If I remember correctly they said it was more of a map design issue so they simplified a lot of aspects in that regard, but if you look at other higher TTK games with fast movement, the lack of "randomness" that makes a game feel fair comes from the ability to react to an attacker. This makes getting killed have that "fairness" feel to it, as in skill feels like it is involved in every encounter. Luckily Respawn has other things in place to make the game feel "fair", e.g. quick Respawn times, balanced weapons, etc.

The short TTK in Titanfall also reduces the utility of movement, imo. It's still very useful to get places when you're not in the middle of things, but it definitely paints you as a target otherwise. Still no idea why you're highlighted as orange when you're moving, that should have gotten immediately destroyed after the multiplayer test.

Woops, I gave a lot of my reasons again even though I said I wouldn't.

Ultimately low TTK does create some moments that feel unfair but they do result from your situational awareness. Obviously there are some that are much more difficult to avoid than others but generally speaking a good player will perform well with the low TTK, the experience isn't 'random', but it has more variance than with low TTK.

As for shotguns and snipers, the EVA is a monster and I don't think popularising snipers or one-shot weapons further would benefit the game. If they adjusted the TTK the one-shot or one-burst weapons (Wingman, Kraber, DMR, Hemlock, EVA and Mastiff) would need reconsidering. If you take the intro to crash site attrition as a battlefield example, the kraber is pretty powerful shooting up, or down that hill, any increase in TTK would make it much harder for Hemlocks and G2s to compete, and anything fully automatic wouldn't be especially viable at long range. In fact, an increase in TTK would be liable to kill mid and long range gameplay broadly, as people already have a decent time to react most of the time, due to the fact that they are harder to hit and bullet damage drops off.

Typically snipers and shotguns are hard to use because they would be annoying if they weren't, high skill ceiling rewarding only the best players, if they stayed the same and saw 'more use' with a universally higher TTK, then that could quickly craft an experience that those asking for a higher TTK did not intend.

Comparing this game to arena shooters does not make sense to me. There's a lot of battlefield clutter and it's clear that Respawn did not want the experience to be focused purely on movement and run and gun. They wanted to facilitate a range of mid, close and long range playstyles which is why a brief TTK is much more easily balanced relative to that experience. The low TTK makes every weapon viable because every weapon kills quickly. Weapons with a considerably faster TTK are not considered overpowered now, but when differences are extended over a larger health pool (longer TTK) the differences between weapons would become much more stark.

Also, I find it odd that you ask for the removal of the orange glow. The orange glow is something that makes the game feel less random, in an otherwise fast paced, and difficult to process environment. The orange glow supports mobility and a faster pacing to the game. It means I can run into the room and immediately discriminate the targets from their environment, it also means that the game can play with a number of light/dark environments without having to worry about how that affects the gameplay, especially valuable considering a number of interiors have quite dark and low lit environments in this game. In most instances, the orange glow favours the aggressor and I don't see much value in better facilitating experiences where players have an easier time hiding or camping.

Either way I think people speaking only of the benefits without any meaningful consideration to the system wide changes that would need to be considered to facilitate a higher TTK is a little reductive. I don't think a lower TTK is necessarily a bad idea but I do think a change like that is drastic, and incredibly unlikely post-launch. The only game that I can recall that made a significant change to its TTK was Uncharted 2, and the backlash on that change was so incredible that people still complain about wanting the game to feel like it did in Uncharted 2 pre 1.04 update. People have already grown accustomed to the games systems and would dislike the change because it is change.

If you want to make a game with a lower TTK, build it around that from the ground up. Weapons, balance, movement, maps, gametypes. Don't dump these changes out post-hoc. I don't think I would hate Titanfall 2 game with a higher TTK, but I don't think it's as simple as shifting the damage values to create a good experience and I don't think many of the day-to-day players that don't necessarily frequent forums and communities, would welcome such a drastic change.

Cant beat the second Boss yet,you get stuck in the environments so much,it slows you down and get pelted because of this,it was the same deal with Kane...the Assembly line section was great but man so many instant deaths in there lol...loving it though (playing on regular).

Just use your core on bosses if you find them difficult. Many of the cores will take them from pretty much full HP to zero. Bit underwhelming but it's an instant win.

So guys, how is the population for this game?

8-25k on PS4. Seems to vary significantly with time of day, day of the week, and whether there's some sort of event on Overwatch :p

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Finding it harder and harder to find games by the day

Far too many times I'm being thrown into games that are already half over :(

What platform you on? Being put in games that are already underway isn't a sign of having difficulty in finding players. Battlefield, Call of Duty do that as well...

Seriously, it seems anything and everything is being blamed on poor player population, which is untrue, or how the game is "dead," which is also untrue.

I just played a match and there's over 12K on PS4. Heck, I think this isn't half bad at this time on a weekend, and will most likely hit 20K++ later.

Not every game will pull in CoD and BF numbers and it's Ok.

Volt is great but it's definitely not overpowered.

Also the eva8, it's a great gun but there's been loads of times i died before i got my second shot off.
People always cry about shotguns but you can take just about any other gun and blast someone in half the time from across the map.

I can dominate a eva8 user easily with the carbine for example, and i dont even come across them that much on ps4

What platform you on? Being put in games that are already underway isn't a sign of having difficulty in finding players. Battlefield, Call of Duty do that as well...

Seriously, it seems anything and everything is being blamed on poor player population, which is untrue, or how the game is "dead," which is also untrue.

I just played a match and there's over 12K on PS4. Heck, I think this isn't half bad at this time on a weekend, and will most likely hit 20K++ later.

Not every game will pull in CoD and BF numbers and it's Ok.

XBO in the UK.

Had the game since release day and up until 3 days ago had no problems finding games on Bounty Hunt or Attrition. Over last 48 hours though the number of people active has dropped to around 8k (on my screen anyway) and I've started to be put into more games that are nearly half over than new ones.

Top Bottom