• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Camping is not effective in this game. No good players camp. Honestly, it's a bit frustrating reading this because camping with cloak does not help win the game.

Just because it isn't effective to win games doesn't mean people don't do it. Although I'd argue that hardpoint encourages the behavior quite a bit.

Does anyone actually group on this on Xbox? Titangaf is a damn ghost town.
I've tried every other day to organise smth

I'm definitely looking to play some games with a group Today -- GT BlueThunder850. I don't think I'm in the TitanGAF group, only the giant bomb and original neogaf group.

Izuna

Banned
We need to use the Destiny thread format for organising big parties.

Console - Time/Date - Region (East US is important if you're playing with EUR)

1. Organiser GT
6. (if you want to play Attrition etc.)

Yeah, but I was at the top a lot with the Volt, so if anything those matches demonstrated that the Volt is overpowered, and yeah, in the same match you were using the EVA I was using the Alternator and struggling for some reason. Sometimes matches go badly, lose a few 50/50s and you don't build momentum for your boost / Titan etc. then it can be harder to recover from. The weapon doesn't cause that though. With that said it must be harder for you American's since I often put us on UK servers. Also, the people we play at 4am in the UK are far better than most in online lobbies. That Shadowlegion guy was probably the best player I've seen on PS4.

A lot of those people we were with also seemed to be getting to grips with their guns and whatnot, using guns on our recommendation, so they hadn't formed a clear opinion on their favourite. Ultimately though, I think because of the time to kill is pretty low. I imagine you could have done very similar to what you did with the EVA with the CAR, Volt or Alternator also.

I do think that there are better guns, but I think that among the better guns it doesn't matter all that much which you use, the difference's aren't so stark that they will cause you to lose your one versus ones. The R201, Volt, EVA, CAR, Alternator, Hemlock and G2 are all useful weapons where their differences in time to kill are not stark enough to make any one of them significantly more valuable than the rest.

It's more about consistency than anything. Weapons like the Flatline, and a number of the LMGs are fine but the random horizontal recoil makes for rng based kills / deaths. Others are clearly in the game just for the fun factor. Projectile based weapons like the Masstif and L-Star are bad because the bullet travel makes aiming harder, reduces the time to kill and also means you might be killed before your bullets even land on the target. Same for grenadier weapons like the EPG, while snipers are too situational to be useful in these relatively dynamic battlefields. They're all fun to use though, so they don't really need to be balanced.

In some ways making these weapons underpowered is a good way of allowing them to be enjoyed within the game without influencing gameplay in a negative way. If snipers and light machine guns were much more effective than they are, the typical gameplay and match flow would suffer. The same would be true if everyone was using grenadier weapons because they were incredibly effective, it wouldn't be all that much fun being killed by that after a while, but as it is they are a fun novelty.

As it is, the lack of skill based matchmaking makes even these traditionally low-tier weapons quite fun to use. I have been able to top the leaderboard in games of attrition with the Coldwar and EPG, despite my feelings that those are the worst weapons in the game.
I don't disagree but to be fair, you're quite good at the game and the volt didn't get you those kills. You earned the top spot with your skill and i suspect you could have used a number of different weapons with the same success. Interestingly enough i just saw frothyomen's tier video and he has the eva8 at s tier. For the most part, it's hard to argue with his assessment of everything else. Despite playing on pc his observations line up with my experience on console.

Frothy's tier list is purely based on PC competitive environment which can be very different on consoles. On consoles due to the strong effects of aim assist a lot of weapons have their effective strength boosted, like how R-201 is a lot more prevalent on consoles because it does not get out shoot consistently by the G2 and Hemlok.

Ghazi

I think it's pretty funny that jip matches still count as a loss, the first game patched that in late after release but they added it. It's weird they didn't decide to carry that forward.

Zemm

Camping is not effective in this game. No good players camp. Honestly, it's a bit frustrating reading this because camping with cloak does not help win the game.

An ability doesn't need to help win a game or be overpowered to make people want it changed. If it's not fun to play against then ofcourse people will want it changed, and cloak is not fun to play against. Phase Shift is a more powerful ability but people don't complain about it because it's not annoying to play against, it's very easy to step back and look for the massive cloud of smoke that happens when they come back from phase shift. Cloak can be easy to spot, it can also mean you're dead before you've even seen them, it's a dumb ability. There's no thought that needs to go into cloak either, it's fire and forget.

It also sucks when half the team is using it and you can't find anyone.

Haines

Banned
Been so busy with other games I haven't even finished the SP or bothered with online. I might try and finish it tonight and jump back online when it gets its next update/patch

I really miss all the unique Grunt audio from the first game. Not only did it mean that the Grunts had less repeated lines, it was also just cool to jump into a random building during combat and hear Grunts talking about some lore or other random thing.

I thought I would miss Tone/Legion after regenerating, but I think Ion might be the sleeper hit. He may not have the most dps, be the fasted, or have the most armor, but he is simply so versatile.

Frothy's tier list is purely based on PC competitive environment which can be very different on consoles. On consoles due to the strong effects of aim assist a lot of weapons have their effective strength boosted, like how R-201 is a lot more prevalent on consoles because it does not get out shoot consistently by the G2 and Hemlok.

A tier list represents weapons at their peak efficacy not their practical efficacy in public lobbies so for the most part it holds true on the console version. The G2 has a faster TTK and better accuracy than the R201 at the same range, therefore, it's a better gun.

I think the R201 is a middle ground between the SMGs and more defensive weapons like the Hemlock and R201 though, the biggest difference is that those guns do not have effective hip fire so they are not well suited to more mobile styles of play. Therefore regardless of whether the G2 beats the R201 in a mid-range confrontation, it still serves other purposes that the G2 can't fulfil. Comparing apples to oranges, so to speak.

Also if you watch a lot of the top console players I think the differences between console and PC accuracy are smaller in this game than they are in many others. Respawns console controls are quite far above and beyond what's offered in most games, it's a more responsive game and it's easy to snap onto a target even at high sensitivities, at least I find it very easy when compared to some other games. As a point of comparison, Gamesagers aim often outmatches Frothyomen's, which is a huge testament to the games controls on console.

I think it's pretty funny that jip matches still count as a loss, the first game patched that in late after release but they added it. It's weird they didn't decide to carry that forward.

They need to these issues and reset everyone's win/loss after they release the stats page.

The majority of my losses come from backing out of matches in progress during their first 10 seconds, because party members regularly get left behind.

E92 M3

An ability doesn't need to help win a game or be overpowered to make people want it changed. If it's not fun to play against then ofcourse people will want it changed, and cloak is not fun to play against. Phase Shift is a more powerful ability but people don't complain about it because it's not annoying to play against, it's very easy to step back and look for the massive cloud of smoke that happens when they come back from phase shift. Cloak can be easy to spot, it can also mean you're dead before you've even seen them, it's a dumb ability. There's no thought that needs to go into cloak either, it's fire and forget.

It also sucks when half the team is using it and you can't find anyone.

Idk, man I've played quite a bit and never had issues finding people. Everyone has different experiences, though. From my viewpoint, cloak is insignificant. Phase shift is a lot more fun and dangerous.

Zemm

I know it has been said loads, but there are so many shitty maps in this game. I'm not sure I've played an FPS game with this high percentage of shitty maps. All their free DLC should be new maps.

Izuna

Banned
I played a night of Overwatch.

So uh, a lot of things inspired Titanfall 2, huh?

Northstar's abilities are basically Pharah's.

Phase Rewind is from Tracer.

Red Outlines on enemies is from Overwatch (which works there, not here).

Grappling Hook is in Overwatch.

I'm sure there are more similarities or things that Respawn added without looking at Overwatch... But if there was one thing they REALLY should have moved over, it's that I'd like some indication when other Titans use their Core Abilities. We have it in the Campaign, and it would add more personality to the Titans too. It's more strategic than it is corny.

~~

I shouldn't have slept on Overwatch.

Jams775

Does anyone's frame rates take a dive while playing on PC multiplayer? After a couple of matches it gets so laggy I have to leave the match.

Ghazi

Does anyone's frame rates take a dive while playing on PC multiplayer? After a couple of matches it gets so laggy I have to leave the match.

It's pretty rough, I have a 980Ti/i7-6700k and I have to turn things down to low (other than texture streaming) to get an inconsistent ~100 fps with stutters.

Naar

I just got my pro and was wondering are graphical improvements available when I play online or is it just that the game is locked to 60fps online and the graphic upgrade is for single player?

I noticed that the player model on the multiplayer menu looks very sharp and clear now, but didn't really notice much when I played online

Izuna

Banned
It's pretty rough, I have a 980Ti/i7-6700k and I have to turn things down to low (other than texture streaming) to get an inconsistent ~100 fps with stutters.

Turn down the textures one level and it might eliminate the problems you have. The engine is not good at handling limited VRAM.

I just got my pro and was wondering are graphical improvements available when I play online or is it just that the game is locked to 60fps online and the graphic upgrade is for single player?

I noticed that the player model on the multiplayer menu looks very sharp and clear now, but didn't really notice much when I played online

You get the same upgrade for MP and SP. Higher resolution.

Naar

Turn down the textures one level and it might eliminate the problems you have. The engine is not good at handling limited VRAM.

You get the same upgrade for MP and SP. Higher resolution.

Yea I thought the model looked sharper. I assume since the original was targeting 60fps then with the pro it should be locked fps when im online?

JaMarco

A tier list represents weapons at their peak efficacy not their practical efficacy in public lobbies so for the most part it holds true on the console version. The G2 has a faster TTK and better accuracy than the R201 at the same range, therefore, it's a better gun.

I think the R201 is a middle ground between the SMGs and more defensive weapons like the Hemlock and R201 though, the biggest difference is that those guns do not have effective hip fire so they are not well suited to more mobile styles of play. Therefore regardless of whether the G2 beats the R201 in a mid-range confrontation, it still serves other purposes that the G2 can't fulfil. Comparing apples to oranges, so to speak.

Also if you watch a lot of the top console players I think the differences between console and PC accuracy are smaller in this game than they are in many others. Respawns console controls are quite far above and beyond what's offered in most games, it's a more responsive game and it's easy to snap onto a target even at high sensitivities, at least I find it very easy when compared to some other games. As a point of comparison, Gamesagers aim often outmatches Frothyomen's, which is a huge testament to the games controls on console.

They need to these issues and reset everyone's win/loss after they release the stats page.

The majority of my losses come from backing out of matches in progress during their first 10 seconds, because party members regularly get left behind.
I think the Carbine needs a little bit of a buff, either do a little more damage or have better accuracy.

I think the Carbine needs a little bit of a buff, either do a little more damage or have better accuracy.

I think damage over range / accuracy is what it would benefit from. At the moment it does sit in a middle ground between the SMGs and more precision ARs but it's not quite good enough to compete at the longer ranges.

It's good enough, up close, but not quite good enough at range.

JaMarco

I think damage over range / accuracy is what it would benefit from. At the moment it does sit in a middle ground between the SMGs and more precision ARs but it's not quite good enough to compete at the longer ranges.

It's good enough, up close, but not quite good enough at range.
Agreed.

Man, I can't wait to be done with LTS. I'm only playing it to level my Titan. (cosmetics, I know) It's such a frustrating mode the way maps are super narrow and Titans are always butt rubbing together. Can't even fire rockets without them hitting team mates fat asses.

JaMarco

Man, I can't wait to be done with LTS. I'm only playing it to level my Titan. (cosmetics, I know) It's such a frustrating mode the way maps are super narrow and Titans are always butt rubbing together. Can't even fire rockets without them hitting team mates fat asses.
Lol, they need to just bring the TF1 maps back.

Zemm

Worst thing about regenning is definitely having to listen to Sarah Briggs again, annoying in the campaign and annoying in the multi, going to spend the 100 credits when I have it on my beloved Barker faction.

Izuna

Banned
Yea I know =) It's just that Sony wanted a even playing field online and from what I read if it was 30fps it has to stay 30fps online, but if it was targeting 60fps it can stay locked 60fps online

Well, to be fair, there is a small improvement with S over the original. I think for MP games (including Battlefield 1), I haven't heard of any devs not taking advantage of the improvement in hardware.

You'll get an fps gain in MP where it'd need any, I'm sure. I can't test this myself though.

I have over 1000 credits, can I unlock BT now?
Let me guess, you were the guy who saved up enough pepsi points to get the harrier jet?

Lol.
Side note: went up against a Tone army and as a pilot, it is infuriating how little effort they have to put in at sniping pilots at any range. They barely have to aim and outclass every other titan in this regard

Izuna

Banned
Textures are on high, but my card has 6GB of VRAM.

;( sounds horrific. Your hardware should be able to deal with it fine in that case. I know my brother with his 970s had strange issues with the original. I'd imagine whatever was happening there is happening here.

I know it has been said loads, but there are so many shitty maps in this game. I'm not sure I've played an FPS game with this high percentage of shitty maps. All their free DLC should be new maps.

Especially since the previous game's maps were better.
Here's how to turn a Titanfall 1 map into a Titanfall 2 map: Take a map, reduce the outer perimeter by 50%. Add a giant, obtrusive obstacle in the middle of the map. Then make the building rooftops the vertical height limit of the entire map.

That's the worst part. Just how most maps punish movement and vertical height, forcing pilots to stay on the ground with Titans.

Just did Amped Hardpoint, got 1500 ish points on each category and 17 kills and WE STILL LOST...

I just got 23 Kills, Banked 2000 in Bounty Hunt and lost! To be fair, Bounty Hunt does take time to learn. I think there needs to be more of a tutorial on how to play it. Once you understand how it works it's a mode that is just full of wonderful tension.

Now I'm used to BH, Atrrition just feels a bit flat and safe in comparison.

So now that Titanfall 2 has single-player private matches, may Respawn could add that into Titanfall 1? I'd like to occasionally go back and explore those maps, especially since they had so many details that I never really got to appreciate during normal gameplay.
It's not all the time, just I'll see random FPS drops or sudden stutters that go away after a second or two.

Textures are on high, but my card has 6GB of VRAM.
I'd double check your CPU + GPU clock speeds during gameplay to make sure they're stable. If your textures are on high, I'd be surprised if it was hitching due to texture streaming, unless something really weird is going on with your HDD whenever it tries to load a new texture. You can also try launching the game with the -high launch option to see if that helps.

I just got 23 Kills, Banked 2000 in Bounty Hunt and lost! To be fair, Bounty Hunt does take time to learn. I think there needs to be more of a tutorial on how to play it. Once you understand how it works it's a mode that is just full of wonderful tension.

Now I'm used to BH, Atrrition just feels a bit flat and safe in comparison.

Someone just went 17 kills with 350 assault and 150 defense lol.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
So what modes are people playing? Ive mostly been sticking to attrition but thought titan vs titan was a good way to get some needed practice and experimentation with them.

Izuna

Banned
Mastiff is mostly trash. Several point blank shots in the past few matches and they've all lived.

It's not about that life though.

It has STUPID range and high-ish ROF. Use it at mid-range like the Mozambique (actually tbh Mozambique is the better weapon but it's instead of an Anti-Titan weapon).

Arrrammis

So what modes are people playing? Ive mostly been sticking to attrition but thought titan vs titan was a good way to get some needed practice and experimentation with them.

Bounty Hunt is my go-to, but Capture the flag is fun as well, attrition is just o.k.. I don't really enjoy the other modes, Amped hardpoint is super campy because of the objectives and everyone is camping in Pilots vs. pilots. Titans vs. titans is cool, but I really enjoy the pilots gameplay, so I don't play it too much.

EL CUCO

Worst thing about regenning is definitely having to listen to Sarah Briggs again, annoying in the campaign and annoying in the multi, going to spend the 100 credits when I have it on my beloved Barker faction.
No love for Titanfall mom, eh?

Top Bottom