• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

I mean, all Tone needs is a lock on distance nerf, and a sharper range/damage drop rate.

That's it.

The one advantage she has is she can deal a constant drip of damage from pretty much anywhere. Remove that and she's totally manageable.

I mean, all Tone needs is a lock on distance nerf, and a sharper range/damage drop rate.

That's it.

The one advantage she has is she can deal a constant drip of damage from pretty much anywhere. Remove that and she's totally manageable.
Exactly. Ronin wishes he had that gun. Would totally make up for his weaknesses.

You can break it down frame by frame if you want, but that's not how the human mind works. I had committed to killing the AI.

http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23209614

I do the same thing here.

Honestly it's easier to "know" that a cloaked Pilot is in fact a Pilot. I have more trouble differentiating Pilots from Minions usually. THAT is what gets on my nerves. ESPECIALLY since sonar makes Minions glow as if they are Pilots. Like FUCK.

Cloak removes that problem for me.

What? That doesn't make sense. You're telling a neuropsychologist that that's 'not how the human mind works'. My issue with your argument is not that you claim you had committed to killing the spectre (which I personally think is a mindset you should try to shift, as it's good to be able to disengage AI quickly to prioritise pilots) but rather my that you clearly have your attention captured by the spectre when both pilot and spectre are present within view. Differences in contrast capture attention at an implicit level. The presence of a cloaked pilot (reduced contrast) is objectively likely to afford an enhanced attention capturing effect of the Spectre. If a Spectre and a Cloaked pilot enter peripheral vision at the same time, then you are more likely to target the Spectre, than you would be if the pilot were not cloaked.

Ample quantities of research have reliably demonstrated that enhanced contrast affects attention capture and resulting response times on behavioural tasks (e.g. https://www.researchgate.net/public...apture_by_salience_Does_rarity_enable_capture) to deny this neurological phenomena exists in a video game environment seems foolish.

I am not saying that the advantages are necessarily huge, I am saying that I don't like any significant advantages in 1 vs 1 gunfights that are passively applied. If someone stims they have to do it on a reaction, or typically know who they want to engage, people get to see them do it, they have a fair chance, they can activate their own abilities and stim or phase do not enhance the pilots ability to kill a target. Cloak and Amped damage are active for a long duration, the player killed by the advantage they afford is not likely to have an opportunity to react or adapt until they are already being shot an killed. Either by disadvantaged target acquisition due to cloak, or faster damage output due to amped damage.

In your GIF, when considered frame by frame the pilot actually enters the scene sooner than the spectre, the spectre is in view at frame 118, and the pilot at 111. So why commit to the spectre if you saw the pilot before? Admitedly there are a lot of confounds here, Tone's shield blurring the view, Tone shooting in a particular direction, where your crosshair naturally lies, but the point is that you could have seen the cloaked pilot sooner than the spectre, but you didn't. I wonder why that may have been.

I think many of you are not considering these small advantages that cloaking provides in one versus one, and even close ranged gunfights. Especially when the chaotic environments and other effects are applied. In your GIF, you can see the pilot almost as soon as you drop down into that room, yet because of Tone's shield, because of the gunfight, he's much more difficult to distinguish when he's cloaked.

Here's a frame from your gif, a few frames after the cloaked pilot first becomes visible, where he begins to show his upper body properly.

TRvf9iF.jpg

You do not spot him. You walk forward until the spectre enters your field of view and then you shoot at the spectre. You had not committed to anything at this stage, you just missed the pilot. Even when you had both in view (a few frames after) you had your attention captured by the more salient stimuli, which in this instance is was counter-intuitive to your survivability.

Here is a later frame where you have not made any actions towards either spectre or pilot, both are within view. The spectre now has his name written in red, the pilot is closer and larger on your screen, yet following this you proceed to target the Spectre first.

R89BPsA.jpg

it's quite clear that your interpretation of these events is not correct. You had the opportunity to target the pilot first, you missed the pilot and targeted the spectre. You suggest that you did not miss the pilot but rather, had already commited to the Spectre kill. Clearly, this is not what happened. Whether you missed the pilot because of his cloak, or other factors is unclear, but in what is clear, is that your GIF does a poor job supporting your argument here.

Izuna

Banned
That entire post and you didn't consider that I was merely going where the Tone was shooting...

E92 M3's point was that Pilots are MUCH harder to see when they are among Minions (especially if there is a Sonar). To be able to tell the difference between a Minion and Pilot is far harder than a Minion and a Cloaked Pilot.

Me deciding to shoot what looked like a Pilot shooting a Mozambique (was actually the other shotgun) instead of another Pilot, is a guess, just a poor example for you. Here's the full clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23760525

Just look at the other clip I posted above, I had no idea the person I was shooting was even a Pilot until I got the ping for it.

Another thing, I'm already aiming in that direction, even if I hadn't spotted that cloaked Pilot until later, I would still have to confirm that what I'm shooting into a threat or "de-commit". I feel like this discussion is too focused on the clip and not my original argument regardless.

That cloaked Pilot wouldn't have been able to do shit to me while he was climbing, or while I was behind Tone's wall. Actually, why are you criticising how I appear to be invisible to him?

No player is going to immediately hone into a Pilot straight away without some delay. It's like how in Street Fighter when people get hit by Jump-ins or get hit by the moves with a long start-up. It's easier to react to something when you're expecting it.

This has nothing to do with when I "saw" it, if you're criticising my reactions or decision-making.

And my point has never been that Cloak doesn't obscure a Pilot at all. It just isn't in need of a nerf and it's not hyperbole to say they stand out more among Minions.

Here is a later frame where you have not made any actions towards either spectre or pilot, both are within view. The spectre now has his name written in red, the pilot is closer and larger on your screen, yet following this you proceed to target the Spectre first.

Okay no, sorry. I'm not reading "Spectre" and de-committing to killing it in an instant. You can seriously be suggesting that this is what's expected.

You'll have to be fair and take my word for the fact that in the other clip I posted, I didn't know that the third Pilot was even a Pilot until after it died.

--

Anyway, back to the realm of what matters... Cloak in a 1v1 doesn't beat Phase Shift or Stim in most situations.

SwolBro

Banned
The problem with today's culture is people love to blame something else instead of themselves. I review every killcam to see what I could do better to avoid the situation.

no man.

Cloak in it's current form is overpowered. End of story. You're able to shoot one pilot dead, and not even a second later you're back to being cloaked, it's a huge huge advantage.

In CTF a good player can completely dominate a cap point with cloak. It's fucking absurd. Sure, are you running into problems on regular attrition/bounty hunt match on the fucking ps4? yeah probably not but step into a pilot v pilot with at least some decent players running cloak... It becomes obnoxious and rage inducing. Hell, they don't even have to be decent, get on Crash and see how many people will be running cloak. I've fought TEAMS OF CLOAK lately. That's RETARDED. This is a low TTK, fast paced, mobile shooter, and we get an overpowered cloak ability? so some asshole(s) can stealth it the entire game while picking everyone off without a single real gun battle? eh, yeah NO.

If i want to be a complete bastard in pilot v pilot i'll cloak and run g2a. It's stupidly simple to run up the kill count.

Izuna

Banned
no man.

Cloak in it's current form is overpowered. End of story. You're able to shoot one pilot dead, and not even a second later you're back to being cloaked, it's a huge huge advantage.

In CTF a good player can completely dominate a cap point with cloak. It's fucking absurd. Sure, are you running into problems on regular attrition/bounty hunt match on the fucking ps4? yeah probably not but step into a pilot v pilot with at least some decent players running cloak... It becomes obnoxious and rage inducing. Hell, they don't even have to be decent, get on Crash and see how many people will be running cloak. I've fought TEAMS OF CLOAK lately. That's RETARDED.

If i want to be a complete bastard in pilot v pilot i'll cloak and run g2a. It's stupidly simple to run up the kill count.

That camping cloak person could just be using an A-Wall in the cap point instead.

Would be better than if a player throws a Sensor Knife.

That entire post and you didn't consider that I was merely going where the Tone was shooting...

E92 M3's point was that Pilots are MUCH harder to see when they are among Minions (especially if there is a Sonar). To be able to tell the difference between a Minion and Pilot is far harder than a Minion and a Cloaked Pilot.

Me deciding to shoot what looked like a Pilot shooting a Mozambique (was actually the other shotgun) instead of another Pilot, is a guess, just a poor example for you. Here's the full clip: http://xboxdvr.com/gamer/Cobalt Izuna/video/23760525

Just look at the other clip I posted above, I had no idea the person I was shooting was even a Pilot until I got the ping for it.

Another thing, I'm already aiming in that direction, even if I hadn't spotted that cloaked Pilot until later, I would still have to confirm that what I'm shooting into a threat or "de-commit". I feel like this discussion is too focused on the clip and not my original argument regardless.

That cloaked Pilot wouldn't have been able to do shit to me while he was climbing, or while I was behind Tone's wall. Actually, why are you criticising how I appear to be invisible to him?

No player is going to immediately hone into a Pilot straight away without some delay. It's like how in Street Fighter when people get hit by Jump-ins or get hit by the moves with a long start-up. It's easier to react to something when you're expecting it.

This has nothing to do with when I "saw" it, if you're criticising my reactions or decision-making.

And my point has never been that Cloak doesn't obscure a Pilot at all. It just isn't in need of a nerf and it's not hyperbole to say they stand out more among Minions.

--

Anyway, back to the realm of what matters... Cloak in a 1v1 doesn't beat Phase Shift or Stim in most situations.

I did acknowledge the direction tone was shooting, and tone's shield (see one of the later paragraphs), but that doesn't prevent the fact that you clearly missed the pilot. Are you seriously suggesting you were committed to killing a spectre from the very point that you dropped into the room, before you even saw it? It doesn't make sense, either way, what does the GIF demonstrate? At best it shows you taking an awfully long time to acquire a pilot, at worst it looks like you flat out missed him.

Most of the time I do not even shoot spectres in Attrition. Why would you if enemy pilots or allied Titan's are around? Tone will kill them by stepping on them, you're a pilot, you can kill the pilot much more easily. This remark is a criticism of your decision making, and unrelated to the stealth discussion, but I am trying to wrap my head around it. I guess maybe you're saying that you thought what tone was shooting might have been a pilot too. It's still odd then, that you didn't refocus your attention when the pilot came into view before the spectre, if you saw him as clearly as you claim.

SwolBro

Banned
That camping cloak person could just be using an A-Wall in the cap point instead.

The wall is bright fucking yellow. It's about knowing the enemy is there. If you don't know the guy is there you're dead. With the way the game works it's harder to react and get out of a death situation after being shot or spotted than it was in Titanfall1

Stim doesn't work like it did before, you can't constantly pop it after being shot, it doesnt' replenish fast enough nor does it give you that bigger health boost like in the original (which is pretty stupid, stim was a great tool for prolonging gun fights in a CODish type game)

No matter how fast your reaction time your most likely going to die if you don't see the cloak player way before he see's you.

Izuna

Banned
I did acknowledge the direction tone was shooting, and tone's shield (see one of the later paragraphs), but that doesn't prevent the fact that you clearly missed the pilot. Are you seriously suggesting you were committed to killing a spectre from the very point that you dropped into the room, before you even saw it? It doesn't make sense, either way, what does the GIF demonstrate? At best it shows you taking an awfully long time to acquire a pilot, at worst it looks like you flat out missed him.

Most of the time I do not even shoot spectres in Attrition. Why would you if enemy pilots or allied Titan's are around? Tone will kill them by stepping on them, you're a pilot, you can kill the pilot much more easily. This remark is a criticism of your decision making, and unrelated to the stealth discussion, but I am trying to wrap my head around it.

That's fairly simple to answer... I want Titan charge. I go straight to Minions a bunch of times and die to Pilots because of it. Sometimes a Pilot can be completely lit up on my screen and radar and I don't notice it because I'm busy trying to clear out Minions.

It's one of the reasons why I feel so alien in this new Attrition. In R1 I would just throw a grenade and be done with it.

I went back to check but I guess I don't record those moments.

The point of the GIF, which I suppose is poorly done because I didn't expect this reaction, is that cloak is by no means broken or makes Pilots almost invisible. That it makes Pilots harder to see, that's kinda the point, but it's no Halo cloak.

Izuna

Banned
The wall is bright fucking yellow. It's about knowing the enemy is there. If you don't know the guy is there you're dead. With the way the game works it's harder to react and get out of a death situation after being shot or spotted than it was in Titanfall1

Stim doesn't work like it did before, you can't constantly pop it after being shot, it doesnt' replenish fast enough nor does it give you that bigger health boost like in the original (which is pretty stupid, stim was a great tool for prolonging gun fights in a CODish type game)

No matter how fast your reaction time your most likely going to die if you don't see the cloak player way before he see's you.

Man, if ANYTHING sees you first you are dead. A guy could be hard scoping and if both of you see each other it's over. I don't play CoD and I typically don't care too much about Pilot vs. Pilot combat, but cloak itself is far down the list of "shit that kills me".

It's shit like this that I hate:

pckri0H.gif

fucking... lag... I'm just chilling on his screen, but for me isn't looking my way.

Keihart

The only time i was completly shamed in this game by other team was because the dudes could move and aim way better than i, haven't gotten in a single match where a team running cloaks is making me lose and thus rage.

A-Wall and a cloaked pilot is a pretty absurd combination since the A-Wall is almost guaranteed to grab someone's attention as they enter an enclosed space, leaving the cloaked pilot free to do whatever they want in the room.

Sensor knife is a decent counter to these strategies but sitting on top of their base waiting for knife charges is a pretty boring way to play the game. Best strategy is literally to have a player dedicated to doing this, killing pilots around the base and throwing sensors on it whenever required. Still, I don't think that's a very interesting meta and it's negated by a single pilot on the opposing team doing the same thing with their own sensor knife. It's a much bigger advantage for you if you know which doorway they have to enter through, and have things like A-Wall, cloak and turrets already in the room.

The only time i was completly shamed in this game by other team was because the dudes could move and aim way better than i, haven't gotten in a single match where a team running cloaks is making me lose and thus rage.

Neither have I, but that doesn't restrict commentary on design and balance. Is cloak in any way a fun mechanic in close quarter interiors, does it add anything positive to the gameplay? In my opinion, no. I don't think I've seen anyone amazing on PS4 so far, regardless of the gear they're using.

I also think people should be making more of a fuss about amped damage. It literally takes control away from you. You might have had a chance to win the gunfight, but just because someone happens to have amped damage on, they win. It's silly, it takes agency away from the player and is in my opinion, a poorly designed mechanic.

Izuna

Banned
A-Wall and a cloaked pilot is a pretty absurd combination since the A-Wall is almost guaranteed to grab someone's attention as they enter an enclosed space, leaving the cloaked pilot free to do whatever they want in the room.

Sensor knife is a decent counter to these strategies but sitting on top of their base waiting for knife charges is a pretty boring way to play the game. Best strategy is literally to have a player dedicated to doing this, killing pilots around the base and throwing sensors on it whenever required. Still, I don't think that's a very interesting meta and it's negated by a single pilot on the opposing team doing the same thing with their own sensor knife. It's a much bigger advantage for you if you know which doorway they have to enter through, and have things like A-Wall, cloak and turrets already in the room.

A-Wall is a tactical (instead of Cloak)

If you use it in the corner, people are not going to kill you easily. Even if you miss, it doesn't matter.

I've seen someone use one inside of a Bank and that shit was stupid. You don't even have time to spot it and Stim the other way.

Keihart

When an enemy is camping a flag/capture point with cloak i usually run holo pilot, my second favorite tactital after phaseshift. You get to grab the atention of the camper and to know his realtive position.

Izuna

Banned
I don't think this game is even remotely balanced or good for e-sports outside of LTS anyway.

I don't care for any of the Map Hack, Sonar stuff. If it's breaking Pilots vs. Pilots, meh. Bounty Hunt and Attrition -- Cloak isn't doing much. I know for a fact that Swol, for example, is winning +95% of his games anyway.

A-Wall is a tactical (instead of Cloak)

If you use it in the corner, people are not going to kill you easily. Even if you miss, it doesn't matter.

I've seen someone use one inside of a Bank and that shit was stupid. You don't even have time to spot it and Stim the other way.

I think A-Wall is poorly designed also. A-Wall, Amp, Cloak, Turrets, Ticks, Map Hack (ticks aren't bad but their hitboxes are janky) all require some adjustment in my opinion.

I should add a foot note to these posts though, that while there are some features I'm willing to complain about, that's only because I really like the game. I would not waste my effort with such complaint or discussion otherwise.

I don't think this game is even remotely balanced or good for e-sports outside of LTS anyway.

I don't care for any of the Map Hack, Sonar stuff. If it's breaking Pilots vs. Pilots, meh. Bounty Hunt and Attrition -- Cloak isn't doing much. I know for a fact that Swol, for example, is winning +95% of his games anyway.

Games don't have to be balanced to be competitive. A meta is bound to develop around more effective gear, but it's important to resolve at least the obvious issues. In either case, whether there's an esports scene or not, there's plenty of reason to want the game to be as balanced as it could be.

I disagree that LTS is any more balanced than other modes. Titan's have similar issues to pilot gameplay, though it's easier to balance as there are a smaller pool of options in LTS.

Izuna

Banned
I think A-Wall is poorly designed also. A-Wall, Amp, Cloak, Turrets, Ticks, Map Hack (ticks aren't bad but their hitboxes are janky) all require some adjustment in my opinion.

I should add a foot note to these posts though, that while there are some features I'm willing to complain about, that's only because I really like the game. I would not waste my effort with such complaint or discussion otherwise.

Nothing matters when you have these garbage af maps

I think I lost two games today out of many. 1 was the first time jumping on in a while, and the last Attrition match we played. (we probably did like 12 in total).

I don't enjoy every game I win, let alone the ones I lose.

R1 and Overwatch, I almost don't care too much if I lose because it was so much fun and it's just an excuse to get back into playing it.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Running Cloak + Hemlock and playing at potato-pace I'm finding people only really see me if I'm shooting, or round a corner right where they're already looking. Otherwise they're shooting at uncloaked teammates and whatnot and are very easy pickings.

As much as Stim and Phase Shift can help an aggressive player who's parkouring all over the place, Cloak-Potato is simple to play and devastatingly effective comparatively.

As for the Tone thing... I feel like Tone is fine in TvT combat. I know the SwolBro is all about getting rid of Sonar Lock getting you a partial lock. But I mean, c'mon, "lock" is even in the name. I think getting rid of its ability to paint grunts and Pilots, and just leaving it as a Titan wallhack would be a good solution.

HelloMeow

All this stuff like boosts, tacticals and kits introduce a huge pile of randomness into the game. And I'm not talking about the fun, chaotic randomness that emerges out of a fast and deep game. I'm talking about dying-by-dumb-shit randomness, which is frustrating, but also definitely not what you want in a competitive game. What ends up happening is that a large number of them get banned.

Reebot

Guy posts a vid of him easily killing a cloaked pilot.

Frame by frame analysis somehow shows cloak is useful somehow even though the dead pilot never posed any threat whatsoever at all.

Lol.

Cloak is trash. If a cloaked pilot kills you, you would have died anyway. If you really really think its so powerful, just use it. Tap into that "power."

The number of times that Crash Site has gotten me killed in LTS because of it's piss poor geography is the worst. Backing up through it's spaghetti junction tunnels and hitting nothing but wall. Man. Easily, without hyperbole, the WORST map I have ever played.

Warablo

I don't know if cloak needs a nerf, but I certainly think the other abilities need a buff or faster cooldown. Plus the grappling hook should just be standard on all Pilots. I haven't used it once online and I am Gen 3.

Ghazi

Plus the grappling hook should just be standard on all Pilots. I haven't used it once online and I am Gen 3.

I agree, but I can also see how giving a pilot both hook and stim would probably not be the best idea. Stim is really powerful alone as both an escape tool and heal, add on demand momentum and you could launch yourself across the map with both those pluses.

You don't need faster cooldown when Tactikill is in this game.

This is also true.

Keihart

I agree, but I can also see how giving a pilot both hook and stim would probably not be the best idea. Stim is really powerful alone as both an escape tool and heal, add on demand momentum and you could launch yourself across the map with both those pluses.

Stim+Grapple ...that's a fun idea for a experimental playlist :p

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
tbf, a few people saw you (but had garbage aim, like myself)
Sure, some people will still see you right away, some will see you but lose tracking between their gun blocking part of their screen in ADS, or energy weapon flash or whatever. Some will see me and lose me when I get behind cover and pop back out. Sometimes you honestly can't tell if they saw you or not. My feeling while playing with that loadout was that players were a LOT slower to acquire and shoot me. Granted Cloak isn't the only factor, I'm using more cover, I'm not pushing ahead of my teammates as much as I normally would, I'm trying to buy into the stealth clown playstyle a bit.

But I can say that join-in-progress PvP match was probably not far off my best kill count for a full match using Phase Shift or Stim. Remember that's posted as a counterpoint to someone saying Cloak is trash. Cloak is very good. Maybe even top tier, I'll stick by that assessment.

Hemlock/Tactikill/Cloak feels like the most easy-mode class in the game. SMG/Shottie/Tactikill/Phase Shift/Stim permutations are fun-mode classes but in my opinion harder to play in this game. I think it's a bit of a contrast from the original where Stim soundly outclassed Cloak for decent players.

Izuna

Banned
Personally, I think I'd care more about how useful certain things were if it weren't so damn easy to pub stomp. I would never be able to do that in any other game. (except maybe early SSFIV days)

It's like Tripwire + Nuclear, it shouldn't be all that useful (esp since you can just manual eject), but if even the average players have no idea that you can do that, there's no point switching it up for something better.

It's interesting, though. I guess other shooters are entirely focused on aim as being the main thing people tend to improve. Titanfall has a crap ton of tricks here and there.

--

All that aside... I really hope Respawn reconsiders how little air control you get on a controller when you move the stick to a diagonal position. I can B-hop okay, but it feels wrong to do.

I don't understand the purpose of requiring the slide-hopping outside of making it too difficult for the average player... (esp without a proper controller)

Pachimari

I enjoy the singleplayer campaign so far, and I am up till Kane. The level design is just very dry and boring, hope that gets better and we see some more color like in the tutorial.

Reebot

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
All that aside... I really hope Respawn reconsiders how little air control you get on a controller when you move the stick to a diagonal position. I can B-hop okay, but it feels wrong to do.
I think you're overestimating how easy it is on KB+M. It's not natural at all to lay off the forward key either. It really doesn't compute with decades of press W to go training I've endured. I'm seriously taking 10-20 minutes a day in private match to try to figure out and get somewhat consistent and it's a pretty slow grind for me to get air strafing and bunny hops working together.
I don't understand the purpose of requiring the slide-hopping outside of making it too difficult for the average player... (esp without a proper controller)
I've heard it said in this thread that the timing window is tighter, but I don't really find that to be the case. Maybe it is to keep the absolute maximum speed? I don't know. But in the original it felt pretty tight, and messing it up killed your momentum pretty quickly. It feels like you have a solid half second to get out of a slide by hopping to retain a good portion of your momentum. Maybe for perfect bunny hops it's worse, but for general mobility, and chaining to the next wallrun or whatever it seems much more forgiving.

Over the hundreds of hours I've dumped into the Titanfall franchise on both console and PC I could probably count on one hand the amount of times I've faced a real air strafing bunny-hopper. One time it was GameSager where him and his viewers shellshocked me, Post, and the finest man on Xbox Live the Witty Scorpion by capping 3 flags in under 60 seconds. I will just briefly mention again that we hunkered down at half-time, and without any bunnyhopping skills, medium wall-running talents, and a lot of focus pulled off a 4-3 win causing him to rage-quit and play COD: Ghosts of all things (as that was the COD of the time).

Anyway, that digression aside, I don't see particularly good bunny-hopping in the wild. I've seen plenty of good stim/strafe ejects, especially in the original game. Even on PC, even in CTF pubs, nada. Zilch. Aside from GameSager and his crew I think I've seen maybe 3 other players where I thought, "shit, look at that dude go". I see a decent amount of really good parkour where they integrate a bunny hop here and there, but that's it. That and crazy reddit flag caps many of which are private match proof of concept runs rather than things people are pulling off in games even somewhat consistently. Yeah I didn't play the Reddit PUGs at all, but saw plenty of those same players in the wild playing pubs with good parkour but very little air-strafe magic.

Stim plus a simple non-strafe bunny-hop can carry you pretty far as is.

Pub stomping doesn't make cloak better.
Anxiously awaiting your sick GameBattles or whatever the fuck you're on about then. I'd hate to break it to you, but Titanfall pretty much is pubs.
If you're having fun, or its just your jam, use it. I'm not sure why you think this footage would matter.
It's at least higher effort than your flippant dismissals.
Cloak is comparatively terrible. When I see enemy teams in pubs using cloak its an easy win coming my way.
Yeah but when you see anything in pubs it's no big because you be pubstomping yo. Lol pubs.

Izuna

Banned
I think you're overestimating how easy it is on KB+M. It's not natural at all to lay off the forward key either. It really doesn't compute with decades of press W to go training I've endured. I'm seriously taking 10-20 minutes a day in private match to try to figure out and get somewhat consistent and it's a pretty slow grind for me to get air strafing and bunny hops working together.

It's not that I disagree with you here, by no means is it more intuitive on PC, but it's also not as uncomfortable. That's my real concern. I think the amount of air control you get in this game, at least with regard to momentum, is harshly rewarded in R2 over R1. I never felt the need to learn air strafing there but I could comfortably go where I felt was necessary.

I've heard it said in this thread that the timing window is tighter, but I don't really find that to be the case. Maybe it is to keep the absolute maximum speed? I don't know. But in the original it felt pretty tight, and messing it up killed your momentum pretty quickly. It feels like you have a solid half second to get out of a slide by hopping to retain a good portion of your momentum. Maybe for perfect bunny hops it's worse, but for general mobility, and chaining to the next wallrun or whatever it seems much more forgiving.

It's true that there is far more time to save momentum that in the original, for sure. Momentum is handled differently, and it is easier providing you can hit slide after jumping, but that's my issue. Bumper Jumper still has crouch set to B, to bunny-hop and aim at the same time you'd still have to claw (otherwise you would have to take your thumb off the stick); whereas in R1, Bumper Jumper allowed you to keep your thumb on the stick for everything required for bunny-hopping.

I don't think I've ever seen it. In fact, despite the poorer map design, I've found it hilariously easily to escape with the flag in this game. I can't be bunny-hopping down a straight line, keeping the stim boost and outpace anyone actually chasing me down. In R1, I've only done that a couple times in all the hours I have played. The reason for that has to be because, yeah, hardly anyone actually uses it. ~

Since the slide itself gives a pretty big boost, you won't find yourself in situations like you would in Fracture where you wouldn't have anything to gain momentum from for a while. While that's a nice addition, I'd prefer more to jump off. Someone I finish a session feeling like I was more restricted in movement.

SwolBro

Banned

It's true that there is far more time to save momentum that in the original, for sure. Momentum is handled differently, and it is easier providing you can hit slide after jumping, but that's my issue. Bumper Jumper still has crouch set to B, to bunny-hop and aim at the same time you'd still have to claw (otherwise you would have to take your thumb off the stick)
I don't think I've ever seen it. In fact, despite the poorer map design, I've found it hilariously easily to escape with the flag in this game. I can't be bunny-hopping down a straight line, keeping the stim boost and outpace anyone actually chasing me down. In R1, I've only done that a couple times in all the hours I have played. The reason for that has to be because, yeah, hardly anyone actually uses it. ~

Scrubs, it's about the elite baby.
jTea9KJuHPchq.gif

To be honest i still think the original bunny hop was better. In Titanfall 1 all you had to do was wall bounce once and you could chain bunny hops to gain momentum really fast. Without stim even the bunnyhops in this seem slower. Maybe they're not slower but they definitely seem like it but maybe because of the horrible map design.

Septic360

Banned
Scrubs, it's about the elite baby.
jTea9KJuHPchq.gif

To be honest i still think the original bunny hop was better. In Titanfall 1 all you had to do was wall bounce once and you could chain bunny hops to gain momentum really fast. Without stim even the bunnyhops in this seem slower. Maybe they're not slower but they definitely seem like it but maybe because of the horrible map design.

OMG

Teach me your ways plissss

Finished the campaign, really good, though the boss fights seemed a bit too easy for Hard mode... IDK, maybe Tone IS overpowered :p

Holy hell the maps are starting to grate on me, every time you land on (I forget its name... circular spire in the middle), everyone lets out an "uhg, grab the kraber/dmr, time to have zero fun"

Really weird coming off TF1 to just... I dunno what they were going for here.

Still having fun, just unlocked the hemlock, gonna try that out, never liked it in TF1, but it sounds like a decent gun to play with

E92 M3

no man.

In CTF a good player can completely dominate a cap point with cloak. It's fucking absurd. Sure, are you running into problems on regular attrition/bounty hunt match on the fucking ps4? yeah probably not but step into a pilot v pilot with at least some decent players running cloak... It becomes obnoxious and rage inducing. Hell, they don't even have to be decent, get on Crash and see how many people will be running cloak. I've fought TEAMS OF CLOAK lately. That's RETARDED. This is a low TTK, fast paced, mobile shooter, and we get an overpowered cloak ability? so some asshole(s) can stealth it the entire game while picking everyone off without a single real gun battle? eh, yeah NO.

CTF is very competitive and you play with your boys, so I'm sure winning isn't an issue. Titanfall isn't an e-sports game - we're not having MLG tournaments. Extreme balance isn't fundamental. The reason this shooter is so fun because the individual can shine without having to rely on teamwork. For most people, cloak is not an OP ability - they can barely utilize it. The best players will make anything work.

You know what pisses me off? Getting killed around corners - that needs to be fixed. There is nothing that can be done about that.

Again, I only play attrition and think when discussing "boutique" gametypes we have to extra wary of making changes that affect the whole game. I never ran into a team of cloakers or people camping with G2.

We'll see how Respawn handles this and I truly hope their rationale isn't "community outrage." Titanfall is a power fantasy, and I don't want that going away. Destiny has been balanced into a stone and the crucible is extremely boring now compared to Year 1.

Also, I play on Xbox.

Top Bottom