• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

E92 M3

That can get real gross real fast though. Once there's any sort of conversion, how do you not automatically think "oh; so an hour of my time is worth $X to you, huh?".

I don't (personally) think it's an automatically-bad idea, but I'd be really really cautious. Credits are "pure" right now, but once it becomes "I could unlock the Flatline! ...or save up more for this $2 hat... and I don't want to be a sucker..." a lot of warning lights go up in my head.

These are all cosmetics; remember. Would be a much different conversation if this was gating-off access to gameplay. Because ewe.

Holiday retailer sales are not the game "cratering". Hold your fire. ;)

I support the way you guys are doing it. Strictly keeping everything separate. Also, any chance of Titan OS voices coming ;)?

Zemm

That can get real gross real fast though. Once there's any sort of conversion, how do you not automatically think "oh; so an hour of my time is worth $X to you, huh?".

I've never thought like that with games that have this kind of thing but I guess others might.
I don't (personally) think it's an automatically-bad idea, but I'd be really really cautious. Credits are "pure" right now, but once it becomes "I could unlock the Flatline! ...or save up more for this $2 hat... and I don't want to be a sucker..." a lot of warning lights go up in my head.

I think most people will still buy their favourite guns first and only start buying cosmetics with credits once they're in stockpile mode.
These are all cosmetics; remember. Would be a much different conversation if this was gating-off access to gameplay. Because ewe.

Yeah definitely, the maps are all I'm really interested in and I'm really glad there isn't season pass type shenanigans going on.

Mupod

I am really interested in the new Titan kits. Doom Phase for Ronin? Wonder what that is.

Hopefully he splits his sword in two and just turns into a windmill and destroys everything in his path until he explodes. Right guys?

well Ronin's major problem right now is that if you use sword core you basically end up getting executed. Sounds like it'd be a way to mitigate that.

Northstar's is obviously some kind of enemy highlight, it'd have to be pretty good for me to drop bigger fire rocket explosions though.

giphy.gif

Respawn is still a company. Let's not get too crazy here.

*shrugs*

They could always let people buy packs of credits too.

Can't wait for Angel City. That blog post made me feel good.

Stop complaining about the micro-transactions. How can you not see that's necessary for the longevity of the game? Would you rather pay for maps? Thought so.

Look forward to seeing the patch notes, I'm mainly hoping for some Titan, tactical and boost tweaks. I have very few issues with the weapons though, which is pretty crazy, usually games like this have weapons that need clear buffs or nerfs. I guess I'd like the R-97 to get a buff since I love rapid fire weapons but can't do shit with that thing. I'd also like some sniper buffs, but I don't really have any suggestions of how, I just don't think long range only weapons work very well in this game considering the ease of flanking and the range of some of the other weapons.

I'm mid gen 3 and still going strong, haven't been this addicted to a multiplayer since Halo 5, which I guess isn't that long ago, but still.

hurzelein

I like the DLC model. There are enough customization options in the base game so people that don't want to pay have enough of them. And we all got to play the same maps, so no splitting the community. People that are complaining are not mentioning the positive side: You don't have to pay for the maps.

Chris1

Don't get why people are mad at the MTX. It was obvious they were going to add some sort of MTX, and I think the way they're doing it is a lot better than BS loot boxes. Sure it sucks that you can't buy them with credits, but they need to make money somehow and even if you did buy them with credits, you could waste however many on nothing but junk. At least this way if you want something you just buy it.

Saying that I do think you should be able to spend credits on something, once you unlock a few items you're just gonna keep stacking them up. Maybe a compromise would be have loot boxes with random items but you can only buy them with credits and real money gets you the exact item you want? I don't really care for cosmetics so it doesn't really bother me

Gator86

Holiday retailer sales are not the game "cratering". Hold your fire. ;)

It's kind of weird to see a dev also leaning into the cosmetics aren't part of a game thing. I get the reasoning and the reasons why people use it, but it's odd to hear coming from a content creator. Are the people on the art team not helping make the game? Are cosmetics not an integral component of the game? The weird dichotomy that people throw out to justify the business side is odd when you just look at things from the game end of it.

I'm not throwing shade or anything about the price, but the fact is many of us paid twice the current price for the game just a few weeks ago. Regardless of the reason, that doesn't change the math. Maybe that's not cratering, but that's getting into semantics more than anything else.

Keep up the good work. People wouldn't care to discuss any of these things if they didn't enjoy the game a ton in the first place.

Izuna

Banned
Okay

Best Buy never gave me my pre-order code. I'm a little annoyed about this. I want to play Angel City when it releases. I can't call them because I'm in the UK and they don't have live chat outside of the iPhone app (which I don't have). ;(

Cake Boss

Banned
I guess the suspicions of post-launch microtransactions were correct. A shame, but I suppose no AAA games can exist without some form of post-launch monetization anymore.

Also, no talk of whether Respawn is planning on bringing back more R1 maps. Hopefully if the reception to Angel City is positive they'll make that happen.

Its some damn camo skins, everything else that matters is free.

If any game that deserves some slack on this is this game. If it means more revenue and a better chance we get a sequel, then skin me up Son.

Look forward to seeing the patch notes, I'm mainly hoping for some Titan, tactical and boost tweaks. I have very few issues with the weapons though, which is pretty crazy, usually games like this have weapons that need clear buffs or nerfs. I guess I'd like the R-97 to get a buff since I love rapid fire weapons but can't do shit with that thing. I'd also like some sniper buffs, but I don't really have any suggestions of how, I just don't think long range only weapons work very well in this game considering the ease of flanking and the range of some of the other weapons.

I'm mid gen 3 and still going strong, haven't been this addicted to a multiplayer since Halo 5, which I guess isn't that long ago, but still.

See, this was always my problem with the attacks on the first game for not having enough to unlock. At some point, you can offer people 100 different SMGs if you want, the community is going to key in on the SMG that's the most effective in the most situations, and then the rest are rendered meaningless. Hell, not only is the Volt better than every SMG other than the Alternator (which is equal but different), it actually renders the default assault rifle relatively pointless.

The original TitanFall felt like Halo a little bit in that way. Every weapon unlock felt like it had a real purpose in the sandbox, and there was little redundancy. Instead, you just had a great toolkit to use on a bunch of fantastic maps, plus giant robots to deal with.

Now it feels like fucking Diablo. Everybody is basically building the same min/max builds and most of the sandbox as far as weapons/perks are being ignored.

But hey, more unlocks! YAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!

E92 M3

Angel City 24/7 Double XP weekend. Let's make it happen, Respawn!

See, this was always my problem with the attacks on the first game for not having enough to unlock. At some point, you can offer people 100 different SMGs if you want, the community is going to key in on the SMG that's the most effective in the most situations, and then the rest are rendered meaningless. Hell, not only is the Volt better than every SMG other than the Alternator (which is equal but different), it actually renders the default assault rifle relatively pointless.

The original TitanFall felt like Halo a little bit in that way. Every weapon unlock felt like it had a real purpose in the sandbox, and there was little redundancy. Instead, you just had a great toolkit to use on a bunch of fantastic maps, plus giant robots to deal with.

Now it feels like fucking Diablo. Everybody is basically building the same min/max builds and most of the sandbox as far as weapons/perks are being ignored.

Actually, most weapons are viable - I am seeing the whole sandbox being utilized. They did a great job with that aspect.

Gator86

I think we can all agree this is a good model and they deserve that cosmetic $$$ for this great game

I never said they didn't. I explicitly said a few posts ago I like their model with this game. I also said I'd buy the deluxe edition upgrade right now, if it were offered, to help support more content.

I think it's always worth being critical of how we look at the business side of it though. Games are great, but still products like anything else on the market.

E92 M3

As they say in the business world: "No such thing as a free lunch." I don't see Respawn getting greedy and bending the rules later, but we should always be vigilant.

Angel City 24/7 Double XP weekend. Let's make it happen, Respawn!

Actually, most weapons are viable - I am seeing the whole sandbox being utilized. They did a great job with that aspect.

I think the Tier list video posted earlier in this thread is dead on.

I do see people using every weapon, that's true. None of them leave you completely helpless, but there's a pretty clear hierarchy of usefulness and versatility.

I'm using the Flatline right now, not because I think it's the best weapon, but simply because I want to ReGen it. Can I kill with it? Sure. Do I feel as effective with it as Volt, the Hemlock, the G2A, etc? No. Because it's straight up not as good.

And the R97 is straight trash IMO. I'm sure I could kill a few bad kids with it, but I sure as hell wouldn't go with it if the other options were available.

E92 M3

I do see people using every weapon, that's true. None of them leave you completely helpless, but there's a pretty clear hierarchy of usefulness and versatility.

I'm using the Flatline right now, not because I think it's the best weapon, but simply because I want to ReGen it. Can I kill with it? Sure. Do I feel as effective with it as Volt, the Hemlock, the G2A, etc? No. Because it's straight up not as good.

And the R97 is straight trash IMO. I'm sure I could kill a few bad kids with it, but I sure as hell wouldn't go with it if the other options were available.

R97 is not trash - it can put in a lot of work. The beauty of Titanfall is that each weapon can be mastered and dominate. Tier lists will always exist - that's inevitable, but look at fighting games: Some players take a trash tier character and win championships with them.

Cake Boss

Banned
Titan Kits: Get more customization for your Titan with these all new kits.

Ion: Refraction Lens
Splitter Rifle splits 5 ways

Scorch: Scorched Earth
Flame Core ignites the ground, leaving thermite in its wake

Northstar: Threat Optics
Enemies are highlighted while zooming in

Tone: Burst Loader
Aiming allows the 40mm to store up to 3 shots to burst fire

Legion: Hidden Compartment
Power Shot has two charges

Ronin: Phase Reflex
When doomed, Ronin phases out of danger

Hmmm I would have liked something for Ronin to avoid getting doomed in the first place lol.

God damn Tone is going to be even more OP with a burst rifle.

I guess the suspicions of post-launch microtransactions were correct. A shame, but I suppose no AAA games can exist without some form of post-launch monetization anymore.

Also, no talk of whether Respawn is planning on bringing back more R1 maps. Hopefully if the reception to Angel City is positive they'll make that happen.

It's fine. Anything significant will be free. There is literally nothing wrong with this model.

R97 is not trash - it can put in a lot of work. The beauty of Titanfall is that each weapon can be mastered and dominate. Tier lists will always exist - that's inevitable, but look at fighting games: Some players take a trash tier character and win championships with them.

Yes, a good player with a bad weapon will probably win against a less skilled player with a good weapon.

The issue is when two players of similar skill engage.

Cake Boss

Banned
Angel City’s Most Wanted is just the beginning of our support for Titanfall 2. We will have more drops that will differ in size and scope but the additional maps, modes, and weapons available will continue to be free. We’ll be revealing just what these are next year but in the meantime here’s what kind of events and updates you can expect from us for 2016:

GAME MODE TWISTS
Changing things up and trying out new ways to play is a big part of how we work here at Respawn. We’re carrying that philosophy over to multiplayer with semi-regular events that will change up rule sets on certain games, giving them a “twist” to how you might normally play them. Changes like these force players (and ourselves) to look at the game differently and try some things you may never have tried before.

DOUBLE XP WEEKENDS
Beyond new content and rules that change the game, we’re also big fans of giving excuses for all your friends to pile into Titanfall 2 over a weekend to reap bonus XP, level up faster or unlock a weapon you’ve had your eye on and generally have some fun. Don’t forget to coordinate with your Networks to optimize your happy hour merit madness!

TOP NETWORKS RECOGNITION
Networks represent our grand experiment to make Titanfall 2 a meaningful social experience for all players. Being a part of a Network is a great way to meet new people and get bonuses for playing, so every week you’ll find us calling out a few Networks we think are worth checking out. You can join as many Networks as you like, so make a point to join one that interests you! It’s a great way to meet fellow Pilots and have fun together.

SOCIAL GIVEAWAYS
Make sure to follow @respawn because every Wednesday we’ll get doing random giveaways that could be anything from the Titanfall 2 Art book, signed posters, and much more

https://www.titanfall.com/en_us/news/frontier-news-network-2/

E92 M3

Yes, a good player with a bad weapon will probably win against a less skilled player with a good weapon.

The issue is when two players of similar skill engage.

It's a toss up depending on the circumstances of their engagement. Every player develops their own style. FPS engagements (especially in TF) aren't by the numbers.

Gator86

Hmmm I would have liked something for Ronin to avoid getting doomed in the first place lol.

Haha my exact thought. The lead dev must fucking love Tone. Most of those look like stuff that won't ever get used except for hers which seems absurd as fuck.

It's kind of weird to see a dev also leaning into the cosmetics aren't part of a game thing. I get the reasoning and the reasons why people use it, but it's odd to hear coming from a content creator. Are the people on the art team not helping make the game? Are cosmetics not an integral component of the game? The weird dichotomy that people throw out to justify the business side is odd when you just look at things from the game end of it.

I'm not throwing shade or anything about the price, but the fact is many of us paid twice the current price for the game just a few weeks ago. Regardless of the reason, that doesn't change the math. Maybe that's not cratering, but that's getting into semantics more than anything else.

Keep up the good work. People wouldn't care to discuss any of these things if they didn't enjoy the game a ton in the first place.
People are saying that it doesn't effect gameplay or give players an edge /pay to win. I would even argue it is directly praising the art department if people are willing to pay for some awesome designs they will undoubtedly put up in the cosmetic store
I agree with you that this is still a product and am glad they are using this model as opposed to paid maps or guns.

KodaRuss

If you're insinuating that cod this gen runs flawlessly and you never had issues with rainbow six either then I'm afraid I can't believe anything you say.

Tf2 is hands down the best servers of this gen. Switch servers .

Yeah, TF2 kills many other games in the network viability. Coming from Siege this game is a dream.

I wreck with the Car and find it way better than the Volt. I really believe most guns are very competitive and useful outside of the Grenadiers and Snipers.

There was no way they could live off just game sales when they were supporting the game that well otherwise. They need a way to bring in revenue.

Its some damn camo skins, everything else that matters is free.

If any game that deserves some slack on this is this game. If it means more revenue and a better chance we get a sequel, then skin me up Son.
It's certainly better than most post-launch monetization, and I realize that. I accept that games have to make money after launch to be successful anymore (as I stated in the original post), but that doesn't mean I have to like that reality.

Cosmetic content is still content, and I loathe how overpriced it generally is in games nowadays. I'd be far happier with paid singleplayer DLC, and no microtransactions in MP.

SwolBro

Banned
If folk are really stumped by cloak, Titanfall 2 might not be the game for them.
Actually bud it's the opposite. If cloak is something you need to be OP then maybe Titanfall isn't for you.

Because it has significantly lower aim assist than other console shooters. Plus the diagonal axis is a bit weird, to say the least. But it has completely customizable aiming controls now so it is really fine.
Whatever Halo did they fucked up bad. Halo had the best controls and then went to the worst controls.

The Softball is amazing
Yes, yes it is.

Holy fucking shit. This game has the worst networking of any shooter this year.
User error.

You know, I've never seen that indicator before :|
smh.

I'm all for dishing out cash for some new shit but not if it's going to be mediocre camo that you can't even see because your player is glowing like a christmas tree. Also, it'd be nice to get some cool unique banners. The patches are varied but the banners all look pretty crummy and the repetition of them sucks as a level up.

It would be smart going full on new player pilot models just like the prime titans instead of the skin colors. Money would flow if some cool ass models were released.

Iscariot

Considering you can do well with the EVA, Alt, Volt, Devotion, G2, Hemlock against good players and the 201, DMR, and CAR aren't very far behind... I dunno. Balance seems pretty good. Only grenadier and pistols seem bad as an entire category.

E92 M3

Haha my exact thought. The lead dev must fucking love Tone. Most of those look like stuff that won't ever get used except for hers which seems absurd as fuck.

We'll see what the changes are and what not. Tone could be useless after the patch lol or the other Titans could be buffed.

Also, I hope they allow us to customize the pilots. I just want to use the human female model.

Geist-

Burst 40mm was my go-to in the first game, so I'm happy.

It wouldn't be too OP as long as they don't give 3 tracker pings for each burst, the 40mm itself really isn't that OP and choosing that means forgoing the godlike reinforced particle shield.

Hopefully the devs are self-aware enough not to let us get a rocket salvo for every burst lol.

deoee

We'll see what the changes are and what not. Tone could be useless after the patch lol or the other Titans could be buffed.

3 shots means you eat instant rockets afterwards and the core is half charged.

I don't see why tone need this. Should have given her the Northstar one

The game mode twists and double XP weekends have perked my interest again since right now I am only playing about two matches a night during the happy hour.

Pretty strange seeing people complain about microtransactions even though we're getting actual game content for free and not just cosmetics. Do people expect the devs to just keeping working on a game without any sort of revenue?

SwolBro

Banned
Considering you can do well with the EVA, Alt, Volt, Devotion, G2, Hemlock against good players and the 201, DMR, and CAR aren't very far behind... I dunno. Balance seems pretty good. Only grenadier and pistols seem bad as an entire category.
On console i think the hierarchy goes

1. 201/volt
  2. G2a/hemlock
  3. Car/devotion
  4. Alternator/Flatline

On some maps those will change such as homestead making g2a/hemlock above 201/volt, but i think this list is consistent.

Softball is a beastly weapon though, it may even deserve a spot somewhere between CAR/devotion.

Top Bottom