• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Calderc

That's what I call an easy kill ;). Tone is very easy to play with, but it takes work to fully understand how to use her and be efficient (like with all Titans).

Of course, but a bad Tone isn't quite as much of a sitting duck as a bad Scorch or Ronin. You can still contribute, letting you learn quicker.

Calderc

What Titan would you recommend if I want to appear as a cool guy instead of "just another Tone" out there?

Ion is also up there. Good laser shot and with a shield that can catch and fire back projectiles. Get to grips with that and Tone won't cause too big an issue.

E92 M3

It's dumb that you can't rodeo or damage a Titan during an execution. If you're executing a Titan it's a risk you're willing to take.

Nah, executions are fun and can be used tactically to evoke invincibility frames. I just kill them after the executions are over. More IMPORTANTLY, it looks cool and is fun to do.

Of course, but a bad Tone isn't quite as much of a sitting duck as a bad Scorch or Ronin. You can still contribute, letting you learn quicker.

Scorch and Ronin are specialty Titans. At the end of the day, all bad titans go down fast enough.

I play Tone a lot, and this rhetoric that he takes no skill is an annoying fallacy. I consider myself good as Tone and I've been utterly destroyed by counters like Legion, Ronin, and Scorch. Even Ion can be intimidating if he times his vortex shield with tracking rockets.

And you do need to lead the 40MM, it doesn't just magically impact on the crosshairs. And Tones reload can be a death sentence up close.

I'll concede to Sonar Lock though, that it needs adjusting a liitle.

f0IaG2K.png

Wtf at that new Tone kit...

E92 M3

I play Tone a lot, and this rhetoric that he takes no skill is an annoying fallacy. I consider myself good as Tone and I've been utterly destroyed by counters like Legion, Ronin, and Scorch. Even Ion can be intimidating if he times his vortex shield with tracking rockets.

And you do need to lead the 40MM, it doesn't just magically impact on the crosshairs. And Tones reload can be a death sentence up close.

Yeah, Tones can be easily destroyed if the positioning or decision making is bad. Personally, I try to not engage Scorches from the front or in CQC. Also, good Ions are a huge pain in the butt to deal with. The reason people pick on Tone so much is because she is easy to play.

That's what I call good game design - easy to play, hard to master. Halo 2 and Smash Brothers Melee encompass those rules a lot.

dankir

Dudes relax like in TF1 the burst shot capability for the 40 MM had reduced damage, I'm sure this will as well. If all three hits and you get 3 lock ons that's another story.

E92 M3

giving me bad flashbacks to people noobtubing their way through MW2.

People always say that, but I ran a full stealth class and got nukes almost every 3 games. The beauty of MW2 was it could be played however you want - truly the pinnacle of fun multiplayer action. The game just gave you so much stuff to try and do.

I loved MW2 dearly and Titanfall 2 is bringing back those emotions. Now, if Respawn nerfs my favorite stuff, I will be upset haha.

It is a bit grating to hear constant negativity against Tone when she is easily counterable. It seems like people won't rest until she is useless.

Spy

All I want to see in the patch notes is the ability to play Coliseum in private matches.

pleasepleasepleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

I also agree that premium skins should be paid for and separate to buying them through credits like the others. There's already enough skins to try and buy through credits in the game, that others should be left for retail purchase.

Speaking of tweaks, I was wondering if two small things might be seen to in the not too distant future:

1 - When I unlock a new weapon, attachment, or banner, after I've highlighted it in the menu to take a peak and exit back to the menu, it still shows as 'new' until I go back into the sub menu again.

2 - Could you perhaps move the bar that tells you how much a skin costs/what I need to do from in front of the pilot/titan? If I'm going to buy a skin, I want to see what it looks like before I unlock it. When most of the skin is obscured by the task bar I can barely see how good/bad it looks

I'll concede to Sonar Lock though, that it needs adjusting a liitle.
No one is saying it takes no skill but rather a lot less compared to the other titans. Everything she has is top tier and dont pretend like the 40mm is hard to lead until you play scortch or Northstar a ton. 40mm is almost a guaranteed goose every time. With Northstar, not so much. Even io's laser as a slight delay, no autotracking and no splash

Izuna

Banned
unlike in R1, the smart pistol has the same dps if you just fire after 1 lock on pilots (I think, it certainly feels this way) so feel free mashing

I think it's 3 locks for a Pilot skill, so like, 3 shots.

inthrall

unlike in R1, the smart pistol has the same dps if you just fire after 1 lock on pilots (I think, it certainly feels this way) so feel free mashing

3 locks for a pilot, but it still does damage with a partial lock. If you're under fire, spamming the trigger can often get a kill with ~7 bullets

KodaRuss

3 locks for a pilot, but it still does damage with a partial lock. If you're under fire, spamming the trigger can often get a kill with ~7 bullets

If I run into another pilot face to face I lose every time with the Smart Pistol by mashing the trigger. So how do you get locks? keep them in your crosshairs?

Right now I have really just been using it to take out Grunts and Specters incredibly fast in Bounty Hunt and Attrition. Which is a great way to rack up your Titan Meter/Points.

inthrall

If I run into another pilot face to face I lose every time with the Smart Pistol by mashing the trigger. So how do you get locks? keep them in your crosshairs?

Right now I have really just been using it to take out Grunts and Specters incredibly fast in Bounty Hunt and Attrition. Which is a great way to rack up your Titan Meter/Points.

Yep, the crosshair for this gun is the giant square in the middle of the screen. It should show three orange lines connecting to the pilot with three audible clicks, and once the shots are guaranteed to kill it turns red.

Its only going to kill pilots if they don't see you coming, so traveling where people aren't expecting you to be tends to work well. My favorite spots are running around the top of levels, or walking into unusual corners in a 2-door room while being chased

Izuna

Banned
btw it's a waste of ammo to use it to kill Stalkers. It's like 3 per one and it almost instant locks. You loose like HALF your ammo if you shoot at a spawn ;(

KodaRuss

btw it's a waste of ammo to use it to kill Stalkers. It's like 3 per one and it almost instant locks. You loose like HALF your ammo if you shoot at a spawn ;(

Are you sure?

I dont seem to go through ammo that fast shooting them. Regardless as soon as a Bounty Hunt or Attrition game starts I kill 3-4 grunts then flank one or two Pilots to kill. Get Smart Pistol take out 6-7 more grunts and bam I have my Titan ready- First to Fall.

Zemm

This is what the scoreboard looks like every single game, this isn't even a humble brag, the vast majority that play this game fucking sucks man. It's a miracle that the 2nd lowest on my team doesn't have less than 20 points too.

esWuVNS.png

E92 M3

This is what the scoreboard looks like every single game, this isn't even a humble brag, the vast majority that play this game fucking sucks man. It's a miracle that the 2nd lowest on my team doesn't have less than 20 points too.

esWuVNS.png

You realize that it's numerically impossible (in attrition) for everyone on the team to do "good"? Your teammates killed a decent amount of Titans. I'm often at the top of the leaderboards as well, but understand that aggressive players tend to cannibalize all of the kills.

That said, we should try to be as welcoming as possible to new players.

KodaRuss

esWuVNS.png

You were only 14 points away from winning, the biggest disparity for you and your team was all those Titan kills which was worth 70 points (possibly 105 points if you killed every Pilot before they ejected). I am sure some of your teammates assisted in killing those Titans as well.

I have a couple that are way worse than that. Like 3 people on my team having less than 35 points.

Attrition fucking sucks because rather than playing as a team you are racing your team mates to kill grunts. There's no lanes like in MOBA so you won't get points if Bobby Badass decides to kill those Grunts your just started firing at with his Titan Melee.

You can appear "bad" on the scoreboard but the truth is you've been left with scraps due to ultra competitive team mates who care not for your points but only their own.

joecanada

Haven't played IW which is why I said "nearly" but Black Ops 3 this gen was absolutely fine and whilst Siege has had its share of issues, at least it actually lets me play the game so it's more than fair that I call this the worst. Also, if you give it a quick Google, you'll see it's affecting a vast amount of players but I suppose it's the typical GAF drive-by "if it's not happening to me, it's not happening at all." posting attitude.

not at all. I also despise the "if its not happening to me........" however a quick google search or youtube search will also show that cod is basically the worst p2p servers this decade. and rainbow six was marred by all kinds of lag, in fact the entire core game became "peek bonus" instead of it's intended play.

In addition, obviously it varies by person but my internet is just stable as fuck, 20mb/s all the time, cable, plugged in, tested over and over. its not great and its not bad. also I am not near any real servers.... Victoria BC so mainly Vancouver if lucky or Oregon I believe in TF2.... so I know what its like to have issues. But TF2 has a very important tool, which is ping indicator. so I have had games with 99ms lag in TF2 but most hold steady at 50-65 ms which is pretty damn good.
Rainbow six was regularly at 149 ms or worse for me. some games were +200 which is unplayable.
.... So I didn't just drive by.
COD AW was unplayable for me, it was exactly what I feared by was sucked in by hype.... Host drops , lag, hit detection issues, same shit from MW2 days like a decade ago. COD weekends are actually termed double lag weekends for this very reason now. This includes BOPS 3.
BF4 has server browser so this is very important and most games are good, but still get the odd drop and "red warning" when players from all over join. But selecting US only servers usually gives pretty good results.

So maybe TF2 has a bug or glitch that affects some users? but otherwise it could be a problem on the users end as well. if its the only game that does it then that's weird. my experience is the best servers this gen and I've said this repeatedly the number one reason I rank it best FPS of the gen.

Izuna

Banned
Are you sure?

I dont seem to go through ammo that fast shooting them. Regardless as soon as a Bounty Hunt or Attrition game starts I kill 3-4 grunts then flank one or two Pilots to kill. Get Smart Pistol take out 6-7 more grunts and bam I have my Titan ready- First to Fall.

Grunts are OHKO, Stalkers are like 3. You have 24 bullets in total.

Gator86

Attrition fucking sucks because rather than playing as a team you are racing your team mates to kill grunts. There's no lanes like in MOBA so you won't get points if Bobby Badass decides to kill those Grunts your just started firing at with his Titan Melee.

You can appear "bad" on the scoreboard but the truth is you've been left with scraps due to ultra competitive team mates who care not for your points but only their own.

Enh, grunts don't really make a big difference in Attrition scoring. Titan kills are the big point swings. If someone runs in and gets the last hit on a Titan you basically killed 4 or 5 times in a game, your score will plummet and theirs will be artificially inflated. That can totally happen. If someone somehow manages to steals 20 or 30 grunts from you, you should probably be farming in different places or even not farming at all.

joecanada

Yep, the crosshair for this gun is the giant square in the middle of the screen. It should show three orange lines connecting to the pilot with three audible clicks, and once the shots are guaranteed to kill it turns red.

Its only going to kill pilots if they don't see you coming, so traveling where people aren't expecting you to be tends to work well. My favorite spots are running around the top of levels, or walking into unusual corners in a 2-door room while being chased

yeah honestly I hate the smart pistol because it takes too long to lock. I tested it out and it loses face to face almost everytime. which to me is pointless. If I wanted to shoot someone in the back I could use the worst gun in the game.

deoee

You can also hack one Stalker which then hacks the remaining 3.
So you are vulnerable for like 6-7 secs but get the points without making sound etc.

KodaRuss

You can also hack one Stalker which then hacks the remaining 3.
So you are vulnerable for like 6-7 secs but get the points without making sound etc.

I have yet to have the patience to do that. I see a robot it needs to die I guess.

When the enemy team kills them do they get the points for it?

deoee

I have yet to have the patience to do that. I see a robot it needs to die I guess.

When the enemy team kills them do they get the points for it?

I don't know but I would think so.
They simply are painted over and belong to your team but the COOLEST thing is, the Stalkers start to follow you and your Titan around.
So you can build an army :D

Enh, grunts don't really make a big difference in Attrition scoring. Titan kills are the big point swings. If someone runs in and gets the last hit on a Titan you basically killed 4 or 5 times in a game, your score will plummet and theirs will be artificially inflated. That can totally happen. If someone somehow manages to steals 20 or 30 grunts from you, you should probably be farming in different places or even not farming at all.

I don't just mean grunts but I've run into games where the top player has basically less than 5 kills but 50 or so minion kills.

Gator86

I don't know but I would think so.
They simply are painted over and belong to your team but the COOLEST thing is, the Stalkers start to follow you and your Titan around.
So you can build an army :D

Gen 5 and I have literally never seen anyone do that. That sounds awesome.

Top Bottom