• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Gator86

Decided to play a quick player vs player match this morning.... got into a room with half the team cloaked, and a bunch of people running devotion+sentry turret. Have you any idea what that was like?

Sometimes i wonder what the devs over at Respawn, or any company for that matter are thinking when they propose shit like this.

Do they sit around and think "how can we make our game focus on movment?"

"oh i know lets throw in a fucking sentry turret plus some guns that take 1 bullet to kill you if they hit you in the leg!"

Titanfall 1 was great because it was a COD style game that wasn't COD stupid. It had intense mobility, ways out of death like strafing and stimming. It had a carbine that was viable for everything but not horribly overpowered where it didn't require you to aim.

If i was a dev at a company trying to create a fast paced mobile shooter i wouldn't introduce stupid shit into the mix. I'd make guns viable with specific trigger patterns and spreads. I wouldn't just make a gun that is fucking powerful as hell that requires no aim at all.

That's what i don't get about game development- why are things like this so hard to execute when the logic is so simple?

For the first time last night, I also ran into entire squads of people using cloak, devotion, and turrets. Every map was trench warfare. If you moved at all without your titan, you were immediately dead. It was basically the opening moments of crash site stretched over 4-5 entire games of attrition.

E92 M3

For the first time last night, I also ran into entire squads of people using cloak, devotion, and turrets. Every map was trench warfare. If you moved at all without your titan, you were immediately dead. It was basically the opening moments of crash site stretched over 4-5 entire games of attrition.

I wish you recorded that match - sounds like an anomaly.

BraXzy

Nice, dude! But we all know that online kindness is nearly extinct :p I try to send GGs when I can.

Thanks! I'm starting to get there, I picked the game up last week and still get flustered. I have it on PS4 but I'd love to have my Elite paddles.

More games need the Rocket League post-match quick chat stuff, GG!

deoee

This is my daily rant about the OT Title.

We're still ~7000 posts away from a new one, so PLEASE PLEASE PLEAAASE change it.
It's awful.

Thank you!

Gator86

I wish you recorded that match - sounds like an anomaly.

Yeah, like I said, I've never come across that before. It's definitely smart, but pushes the game pretty far out of what you expect the average TF2 game to be. If you organize a full team to do that, you deserve the map control though.

SwolBro

Banned
Modern Warfare 2 was so, so good because the whole sandbox could be utilized to do crazy stuff (everything was OP, so everything was actually balanced). It was probably one of the best shooters I've ever played. Titanfall 2 brings the same feeling, and I truly hope that is never lost.
You're crazy. You want to see a game that everything was viable without being completely OP and stupid? Watch ShadowRun (the FPS on 360) videos on youtube.

Things can be balanced and fun without being obnoxiously broken.

Yeah, it's getting pretty common now. Devotion works for this type of play style. It's terrible.

People think others start complaining when they get salty from losing when it has nothign to do with that. It has to do with with a tactic or something in the game breaking the flow of mobility. Titanfall shines when players are flying across the maps, jumping around walls throwing nades and strafe battling... not setting up a line of defense and engaging in stupid ass trench warfare. There's battlefield and COD for that crap.

Darth Giggity

Neo Member
I'm about 90% sure that my Xbox is set to Stereo as I don't have a sound system. The 10% of uncertainty there is due to me not being able to check at the moment. I'll definitely check that out later today, but I had no issue hearing what other people said via comms, just BT. All of Jack's responses were super low as well.

I have a 5.1 system and my xbox set to 5.1 and I find that this game has low audio on dialogue as well. It's not the only game that does it but a lot of games tend to not put audio in the center channel and its really hard to hear because its not separated. ( halo 5 is also bad about this)

deoee

I encountered my first devotion camper yesterday.

Was sitting behind the shield and had his back covered with a turret.

He sucked tho so I could just break his neck

And yeah coming from Halo 5, a game with arguably the most balanced weapon sandbox in recent FPS games, the sheer amount of salt TF2's weapons and abilities can bing is very, very frustrating.

deoee

And yeah coming from Halo 5, a game with arguably the most balanced weapon sandbox in recent FPS games, the sheer amount of salt TF2's weapons and abilities can bing is very, very frustrating.

Like many said before.
I really like the current balancing of the weapons - I get killed by all types of weapons, even sniper rifles and grenade launchers.

Haven't encountered this in ages, it's always 2-3 weapons that are viable and the rest sucks.

Ofc. there are balancing issues but I'm sure Respawn is collecting data and will arrange things in a way that makes most users happy :|

Keihart

Modern Warfare 2 was so, so good because the whole sandbox could be utilized to do crazy stuff (everything was OP, so everything was actually balanced). It was probably one of the best shooters I've ever played. Titanfall 2 brings the same feeling, and I truly hope that is never lost.

There were broken things in MW2 tho, like the grenade launcher atchment, that always was stupid, way too good.

We would usually ban it when playing between friends because it was too much bullshit.

deoee

Btw. I'm asked to regen for the first time, do I do it?

I find many weapons way better with 2 mods instead of 1 and it takes some time to get to lvl 11 weapons again :S

E92 M3

Yeah, like I said, I've never come across that before. It's definitely smart, but pushes the game pretty far out of what you expect the average TF2 game to be. If you organize a full team to do that, you deserve the map control though.

I'd like to experience that once, but playing against full parties is already frustrating as it is.

You're crazy. You want to see a game that everything was viable without being completely OP and stupid? Watch ShadowRun (the FPS on 360) videos on youtube.

Things can be balanced and fun without being obnoxiously broken.

Yeah, it's getting pretty common now. Devotion works for this type of play style. It's terrible.

People think others start complaining when they get salty from losing when it has nothign to do with that. It has to do with with a tactic or something in the game breaking the flow of mobility. Titanfall shines when players are flying across the maps, jumping around walls throwing nades and strafe battling... not setting up a line of defense and engaging in stupid ass trench warfare. There's battlefield and COD for that crap.

Yeah, I know I'm crazy lol. I enjoy super competitive shooters (play a lot of CS/Halo) and more fun chaotic shooters where shit is always happening.

Undeniably, MW2 was some of the most fun I never had playing a game. Not every game has to be super serious.

And Shadowrun was a good game, unfortunately, it flopped. I enjoyed it a lot.

I agree that Trench warfare is garbage in Titanfall. One of the reasons I hate Crash Site so much.

Like many said before.
I really like the current balancing of the weapons - I get killed by all types of weapons, even sniper rifles and grenade launchers.

Haven't encountered this in ages, it's always 2-3 weapons that are viable and the rest sucks.

Ofc. there are balancing issues but I'm sure Respawn is collecting data and will arrange things in a way that makes most users happy :|

Yep, I see a ton of different weapons being used. Respawn did a good job.

There were broken things in MW2 tho, like the grenade launcher atchment, that always was stupid, way too good.

We would usually ban it when playing between friends because it was too much bullshit.

I never used grenade launchers, but it also never bothered me - ran a full stealth build.

Btw. I'm asked to regen for the first time, do I do it?

I find many weapons way better with 2 mods instead of 1 and it takes some time to get to lvl 11 weapons again :S

Yes, weapons don't reset and you keep everything purchased with merits.

SwolBro

Banned

It's about understanding where the salt comes from. If i get killed by actually being outgunned or out maneuvered i'm ok with it, there's no salt.

If i get killed by a 2 shot burst or by a devotion bullet gracing my foot by a cloaked potato pilot perched at the edge of the map yeah i'm gonna get salty if it happens more than two or three times per match.

If i'm being bombarded by stim pilots parkouring the shit out of the area and i can't handle it then i'm ok with that, there's no salt. Too many decent mobile players to deal with. Maybe next time i'll have a better team.

But if i'm going up against a team of cloaked fucking pilots waiting for someone to parkour by or turn a corner yeah i'm going to get annoyed.

Because i play Titanfall for mobility. If i wanted that shit i would play COD.

KodaRuss

If i was a dev at a company trying to create a fast paced mobile shooter i wouldn't introduce stupid shit into the mix. I'd make guns viable with specific trigger patterns and spreads. I wouldn't just make a gun that is fucking powerful as hell that requires no aim at all.

That's what i don't get about game development- why are things like this so hard to execute when the logic is so simple?

MP balance is and will always be one of the hardest things to do in Game Development. What viable MP game was perfect out of the gate?

Metas change quickly and many times in unforseen ways for every game. Respawn has shown that they will change the game as they see fit but the constant nagging of Cloak being OP is getting tiresome. Each Pilot has other abilities that you can use to confuse and disrupt your enemy.

If you dont agree that is fine but your constant armchair development is getting old.

It's about understanding where the salt comes from. If i get killed by actually being outgunned or out maneuvered i'm ok with it, there's no salt.

If i get killed by a 2 shot burst or by a devotion bullet gracing my foot by a cloaked potato pilot perched at the edge of the map yeah i'm gonna get salty if it happens more than two or three times per match.

If i'm being bombarded by stim pilots parkouring the shit out of the area and i can't handle it then i'm ok with that, there's no salt. Too many decent mobile players to deal with. Maybe next time i'll have a better team.

But if i'm going up against a team of cloaked fucking pilots waiting for someone to parkour by or turn a corner yeah i'm going to get annoyed.

Because i play Titanfall for mobility. If i wanted that shit i would play COD.

This gets me fired up with vengeance in my heart. Usually it's fine because it's easy to learn how to destroy campers within a single game...with the exception that they're all obviously playing and chatting together and camp in the same area together. I dealt with that yesterday and it's fucking terrible.

iddqd

Finally at the point where I'm always top 3, sometimes at the top spot.
Fucking took a long time (and is maybe only due to new people playing).

Rusty shooter players like me would have benefited greatly from more tutorials or explanations on how modes, unlocks work.
The single player helps a bit but even that does not give you enough time.

Gator86

I encountered my first devotion camper yesterday.

Was sitting behind the shield and had his back covered with a turret.

He sucked tho so I could just break his neck

Yeah, if it's just one, you go back to where you died and go for that revenge execution. If it's multiple people running that kit, you can't get in alive. Too many sources of fire.

Gator86

How are yall getting one shot by the devotion?

Devotion seems to always have a weird kill cam. In general, I've found then to be surprisingly legit. I rarely have my old COD response of "fucking bullshit, that's not what happened!" However, for devotion, the game seems to not sync up the animation with the actual fire rate or something because it often seems as if they're aiming way off to the side or hitting me just once before I fall over.

I'm basically fine with the pilot weapon balance though. Nothing feels especially terrible or overpowered. I went through a couple days where all I saw was Hemlocks, but otherwise nothing especially crazy.

Damn double post.

RedFury

Yeah, if it's just one, you go back to where you died and go for that revenge execution. If it's multiple people running that kit, you can't get in alive. Too many sources of fire.
I usually have a cloak kit for them. Turrets don't spot you cloaked then you just kick it and it's pilot. Typically their situational awareness is shite. I've destroyed 3 turrets once right before I killed all 3 pilots in front of them babysitting them one by one.
Edit: the second guy I "accidentally" executed and had enough time to finish it and the last guy right next to him had no idea.

Zemm

Weapons seem fine for balance.

Abilities are a bit all over the place.

Cloak, stim and phase shift are a lot better than the others.

Sonar is decent on something like Hardpoint.

Grapple and holopilot are pretty terrible.

A-Wall is pretty bad too but also encourages some lame game style like people have already described.

I'd like to see them experiment in one of those "Twist" playmodes they have coming up with the DLC where they give everyone the grapple as a default skill and see how the game feels and works like that, and if it's good then just have it as a normal skill. Holopilot and A-Wall probably need reworks to bring them up (I'd make A-Wall something completely different to not encourage the camping style of gameplay).

HelloMeow

It's not all about balance. Some mechanics and elements can detract from a game even if they are balanced.

Whatever "balanced" means, a lot of things in Titanfall 2 aren't fun to play with or against.

deoee

I think we can all agree that Tone and Legion need some adjusting :p
And the OT
title

Also I feel like different platforms have different needs of balancing.
The Hemlock seems to destroy people on consoles because of the auto aim.
On Pc you actually have to follow a person yourself while the burst is fireing - so it's way harder to oneshot someone (imo)

deoee

Someone on reddit made an overview of the Multiplayer maps:

http://imgur.com/a/DV0tz

rxpbo40.jpg

Gator86

Grapple is quite hard to use efficiently, but it's the most versatile and most fun.
Wheeeeeeeee...

I ran grapple all beta and swore by it, but once you're better at wall-running and such, some of the shine comes off as other abilities start to seem more appealing. Also, the game has been out long enough now that grappling almost any titan is an automatic death sentence.

E92 M3

I also swore by the grapple in the tech test, but now it seems kinda useless for me. I'd like to see the weaker abilities buffed.

To me the only thing Tone needs nerfed is the amount of missile that fire from the Salvo Core. Because if you get hit by the majority of those missiles you are pretty much done, even from a full health Legion or Scorch, at least to me it seems. For Legion I think he is fine since it is all about flanking Legion to deal with him effectively. Taking him head on is always suicide.

Using Tactikill attachment with Stim is oh, so nice. When I'm doing well I'm just zipping around like a madman. Haven't actually checked to see how much it recharges your tactical when you get a kill though.

It was hard to let go of extended mag/faster reload, but it honestly doesn't seem to affect my play-style that much. Now I go Tactikill/Gun ready with most of my loadouts.

Gator86

I think we can all agree that Tone and Legion need some adjusting :p
And the OT
title

Also I feel like different platforms have different needs of balancing.
The Hemlock seems to destroy people on consoles because of the auto aim.
On Pc you actually have to follow a person yourself while the burst is fireing - so it's way harder to oneshot someone (imo)

Legion? Really? An average Legion should get wrecked by an average Tone, Ronin, or Ion. He's immobile and only has direct line fire. When I'm playing Ronin he's the first titan I go after. Unless he's a mile away, he's basically helpless. A Tone can out DPS a Legion during his Smart Core without even using Salvo. His only burst damage is a slowly refreshing, charged blast. Losing to a Legion requires you to stand directly in front of him without making any defensive maneuvers. Legion is fine.

You probably will need different balancing on consoles at some point. Overwatch had to nerf stationary turrets because people couldn't aim well enough to kill them on console.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
To me the only thing Tone needs nerfed is the amount of missile that fire from the Salvo Core. Because if you get hit by the majority of those missiles you are pretty much done, even from a full health Legion or Scorch, at least to me it seems. For Legion I think he is fine since it is all about flanking Legion to deal with him effectively. Taking him head on is always suicide.

Reducing the missles would be good, but I really think taking away a dash and a pip of health would be the best. Tone has probably the most damage potential of any titan at any range so I think it be smart to just weaken its defensive measures. I think the biggest fucking sign of Tone's misbalance is the fact Northstar has three pips of health but Tone has four. Like... really?

Anyone ever get these weird warping graphical glitches? I get a warp and heat trail effect on the side of my hud sometimes that doesn't seem related to anything in the game. I think it happens whether I'm in a Titan or as a Pilot.

Running 375.95, Gigabyte G1 1070, i7 4790k, 12 gb ram, windows 10

NK8gpgk.jpg

Happens on the right side in the beginning then later on the left as I walk past the shipping containers:

https://gfycat.com/WellgroomedValuableDog

E92 M3

Reducing the missles would be good, but I really think taking away a dash and a pip of health would be the best. Tone has probably the most damage potential of any titan at any range so I think it be smart to just weaken its defensive measures. I think the biggest fucking sign of Tone's misbalance is the fact Northstar has three pips of health but Tone has four. Like... really?

Horrible balancing ideas - no offense. If I was Respawn, I'd make the changes as minute as possible.

Gator86

I don't see them messing with her health or dashes much considering that's based on her middle frame size. They should lower her damage though. Her high, unavoidable burst damage is the problem, I think. Even in cover she's still picking away at you the entire time. Maybe increase the number of hits for missle lock to 4 or 5?

E92 M3

No offense taken, what's bad about the ideas?

Removing a dash would change how the class is played dramatically and make her essentially useless. Other Titans that are lagging behind should be brought up a bit. In general, Tones get destroyed pretty quick as it is.

Sometimes listening to forums for balance changes doesn't make a better game. I bet if Respawn changed nothing from launch people would still love the game. I'm anxiously awaiting the patch notes and hope nothing I love is dramatically changed.

I don't see them messing with her health or dashes much considering that's based on her middle frame size. They should lower her damage though. Her high, unavoidable burst damage is the problem, I think. Even in cover she's still picking away at you the entire time. Maybe increase the number of hits for missle lock to 4 or 5?

I'd support 5 shots for lockon.

krazen

As far as gun balance is concerned just at a glance of the thread we went from the 201 & Car being OP, to the Alternator to Volt to now Devotion being OP. Throw in a page or two where shotguns got in fashion and the current "will he/will he not" flirtation with the flatline and at least gun wise seems we got a balanced game, lol.

Top Bottom