• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Anon67

Just bought this game on an Black Friday sale. Really happy for the changes they've made since the beta. It plays wonderfully for the most part. Looking forward to upcoming updates!

If poor Jay's Gaf account ever gets approved, he can tell you HIMSELF.

I assume he's drunk under a bridge somewhere, though. So no patch notes until sober. =

I will prepare the black coffee.

Shoot bish a message to get him through the approval process. I only require BT in multiplayer as payment for this info. Just me though.

No one else gets BT.

No. One.

Want to do an Origin code raffle, but I'm wondering if this is the thread to do it in, since (I assume) most people that frequent the thread already own the game.

Any ideas?

Apharmd

Is there a beginner's guide for multiplayer anywhere? I'm just getting straight-up blown-up. I call my Titan in and then it gets destroyed right when I board it.

r0wuT1W.png

Phase Shift killing a Titan? I know Ronin can kill himself by phasing INTO other titans, but isn't that called Phase Dash instead of Shift?

Is there a beginner's guide for multiplayer anywhere? I'm just getting straight-up blown-up. I call my Titan in and then it gets destroyed right when I board it.

Titan combat is all about patience, positioning and sticking with your teammates.

Izuna

Banned
If you want detail on how the match played out, why not...wait for the match to play out? I don't see why you'd want that info mid-match unless you were getting ready to bail.

It doesn't even show it at the end. Mid-match I'm always checking the scores, there I don't need deaths.

After the game, I can't see my team's deaths etc.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Any chance of a Angel City's Most Wanted update trailer?

Showing off the new map, the new skins, kits, execution, etc?

So i preordered but i dont think i got a code to play angel city early?

Is it in the case by any chance

If you bought physical you should get a pre-order DLC code (Titan paint) which also serves as a pre-order token, if you pre-ordered digital then you are set, no code required.

Legion pilots, how do you duel with other Legions?

Do you rush them and try to stick your hard rod in their face? What's the game plan? Cause it not like either of you could play the maneuvering game...

TheRed

Oh wow, awesome. I'm sadly really behind on Steam Controller stuff. Didn't realize people were using it for FPS games, I think I kind of put it out of my mind without much thought.

Is there anything about it you wish the game helped with? Any menu options that would make it more usable? Or is it at that "everything is fine, please don't screw it up" state? ;)

(Since we don't run under Steam, I'm not even sure what options we'd have, but I'm curious!)

Is there a good, canonical "getting started playing shooters on your Steam Controller" guide?
Ha wow cool to have someone that works at Respawn notice. I know I'm in a very niche small group that have even tried this game with a steam controller but it is a glorious fun niche.

Actually funny thing is about anything to make it better or more usable is that it totally is at that "everything is fine, please don't screw it up" state. Actually it's more than fine, it works perfectly imo. One of the main issues that comes up with games that don't have the controller in mind is they may not place importance on allowing simultaneous input from a gamepad and mouse. In those games it leads to a delay when switching inputs every time you move the mouse pad and try to move with the analog stick, it gives this bad hitching feeling everytime the game switches from gamepad to KB/M settings and also just makes it impossible to move and aim at the same time. With those I have to go in and see each keybind setting corresponds to what it is on the controller and program each button on the controller to those keys one by one. That is the only way to get mouse aim in those games which is necessary because emulating a joystick on the trackpad feels terrible. Then there's the downside of only seeing KB/M prompts while using the controller which can be a little weird.

Titanfall 2 just works great how it is and just allows gamepad and mouse inputs to work simultaneously with no problem. The game even consistently keeps the gamepad prompts up and doesn't switch immediately to keyboard when I'm using the pad to look around, as long as I'm moving the analog stick to move the gamepad prompts are the ones shown which is the logical way since I'm only using the trackpad for anything mouse and keyboard related and every other button is based on gamepad. But a lot of games just don't work that logically in that way. So pat the guys on the back in charge of gameplay control and input because they've been praised a lot in general but even in this niche way their good job benefited me.

Another great thing is the experimental rumble feature Valve added to have the haptics function in a similar way to normal controller rumble. Used to be no rumble at all using the controller, and some games don't come through with vibrations for anything or even just certain things. Like in BF1 the only type of weapon I get a noticeable vibration from is shotguns, it feels great but then every other weapon just gives nothing, not sure why that is and is mostly understandable since its still basically a beta function if the controller. But that's not a problem here, I have it set on the high setting and it feels just perfect, everything in the game and every weapon does a correct feeling vibration, just the jump jets give a satisfying shake and even walking around in a Titan, I haven't played on a DS4 or XB1 which is where it all is meant for is probably great there too but it's just especially nice to get it functioning so well on the steam controller.

I don't think there's a good canonical guide for the steam controller especially for shooters. But hey I may be inspired to! In fact most of the youtube video reviews from last year didn't give it a fair enough shake and most said its just bad for shooters. Bums me out a bit because personally I get the most enjoyment out of it in shooters even though it's very novel and useful in other genres too. The controller just has a learning curve because it feels way different from the control methods we've all used for hundreds to thousands of hours. No one was an expert with those either when they started it took practice and the steam controller takes a lot of practice but it does click. I think forum community posts are the best bet to learn about it, the one here on GAF is really good with info from people trying stuff.

Personally I'd recommend what I've gotten comfortable with which is a decent but not too high sensitivity on the pad but so that you can make quick 180 with just a small roll of the thumb. A good quick flick can then give you a 360 turn to react to people behind you. I don't attribute everything to the sensitivity setting like some people though. The thing is the trackpad functioning as a mouse is great but you have to configure it in a way that you could do everything you can do with a mouse on just a pad that is probably smaller than your mouse itself. If you have to keep picking up your thumb and recentering just to complete turns it is not good. I have a lot of success with actually turning the acceleration setting onto low instead of off which is something I'd never do normally on a real mouse but in this instance it comes in handy with its slight boost to turning.

Since the trackpad is much smaller room to move than a mouse pad it is really useful to me to do a lot of big movements with only only slightly rolling/sliding my thumb. I put friction on medium so that it helps the momentum come to a stop after you flick to do quick turns because without it you'd just keep spinning, you don't get the benefit of the stability from pressure against the desk using a mouse to keep aim steady. Haptics setting goes on high because it relays good info to what you're doing than without it you feel dumb sliding your thumb around on pad with no feedback.

Finally you want gyro aim to be active while touching the right pad which is when you will be actively aiming. Gyro gets a low sensitivity with no acceleration at all, it needs to be precise for minute aim changes. It feels really natural, make big movements and target acquisition with the touchpad and then adjust aim with gyro to really track well or get headshots. It's how I land most laser shots with Ion the gyro aim is so smooth. The grip paddles are essential for movement and praise for the Elite controller is big because of them. This controller has them and more and can be bought for just $35 on sale now. Just a great value.

Long post but hey I've been quietly enjoying the controller for over a year so wanted to describe it.
Maybe you or someone else there may be curious to give it a try.
Anyway game is really amazing and works amazing on it. Don't change anything :)

Vanadium

Much like the rest of Titanfall, movement is the key. Don't stand still as a Titan or Pilot.

If all else fails, hold off on calling the Titan and just press Triangle or Y to spawn into the game as a Titan in a safe spot after your last death.

Dash - if your Titan is so equipped - immediately after embarking.

Use cover to separate yourself from other Titans and constantly look on building tops for Pilots.

Keep moving.

BLCKATK

Picked this up on black friday. Got time to play it today. Just finished playing for 6-7 hours straight. GOD DAMN. It's been a long time since I've done a single player campaign in one sitting. That was great. Multiplayer felt real good too.

With Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals this game is a STEAL.

Mezoly

I never thought in 2016 a fps will be my GOTY. I haven't bought a shooter in years because I ceased to enjoy them. I played Modern Warfare Remaster for the first time before TitanFall 2 while I enjoyed it I remembered why I don't play those game. I started TitanFall 2 campaign yesterday and finished it this morning it's so so good. I jumped on multiplayer and I liked too. However, I played 10 matches and my team lost 8 of them lol. Obviously I'm part of the problem as I'm not good at it. Also bumper jump has been a revelation for me, I could never go back.

I was never hyped for this game and never thought I would buy it. But I saw the Black Friday deal and got the pro so I thought I should buy it and check the graphics. Now all I could think of is playing the game.

Bought the game a few days ago but didn't play it until yesterday night. I played SP for an hour and half I think. After I felt I got a good feel for the game I decided to finally play a few online match. I played attrition and got demolish pretty badly. My first impressions weren't good unfortunately. Although I really love the mobility of these characters and how it makes you feel like you're just literally flying through the stages I'm not sure I can enjoy playing a shooter where everybody can move like this.

That doesn't mean I'm giving up though. I'm going to put in many more hours to see if my feelings change. I obviously have no clue what I'm doing right now and haven't unlocked any stuff at all. I feel like I should stick to Amped Hardpoint in this game since Domination is easily my favorite mode in the COD games. From what I've read you'll get rewarded for trying to complete objectives instead of worrying about your KDR.

I always played very slow paced in the COD games and that seems to be a no go in this game where mobility is off the charts and the maps seem very big. The pacing in this game doesn't seem to match my style but I really do like so many things about this game. I hope I can come around to enjoying it eventually.

EDIT: BTW, can anybody recommend me a beginner class?

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
If anyone is looking for someone to play with on PS4, feel free to add me: kilgoreisdead

The Networks are more frustrating than helpful.

What region/time zone?
Feels like Networks really need improving. Maybe they're okay for randomly inviting from a huge pool of acquaintances, but trying to get consecutive games with a few close friends is a nightmare. It's so sluggish, you might as well just use "Invite Party," but even then sometimes it can be misleading as to who's available and whether you're actually joining the same match.

Bought the game a few days ago but didn't play it until yesterday night. I played SP for an hour and half I think...

First of all, try some more of the campaign. (You'll thank us later.)

As for MP, if you feel like you're out of your comfort zone, I think that's okay. Better than immediately feeling the core game isn't fun. It'll naturally take some time to adapt.

Also you're right in that it doesn't necessarily reward individual K/D ratios, but rather if you're playing the objective (similar to Overwatch). But unlike OW, there don't seem to be any armchair generals telling others how they should play the game. (Suppose they might appear given time...)

Main thing is to find a build/Titan that feels fun and run with that. You'll unlock stuff pretty quickly, so you can experiment, and there's a lot of potential for finding new favourites. Keep us posted on your thoughts and drop in if you have any Qs!

Edit: As for a beginner class, I made a custom layout imaginatively named "Soldier" which uses Sonar Blade, either an Assault Rifle or LMG, quick healing, and Satchel Charge.
This feels relatively slower paced and those weapon types are usually more viable at longer ranges. Getting used to things like Grapple or Stim are worthwhile if you want to become fully mobile, but for starters Sonar should be a comfortable pick that'll hopefully net some kills and boost confidence. Oh, and just stick with Amped weapons for now to give you that extra edge in almost any mode or map when you're having a decent run.

RocknRola

Got the game yesterday, only played a bit (basically the intro + a bit of the first mission where you're already with BT and trying to get to Anderson). Looks really cool! Still getting used to the controls, kinda need to time stuff a little better (movement) but when I get it right it's awesome! The guns are also fun! The only thing I did not really like from what I tried was the sniper-like gun (then again, I was never a sniper guy).

The Titan fighting from what little I experienced has the basis of a simple yet tactical "meaty" game. So all in all, great first impressions.

Still need to try the MP, though I hear it's one of those kinda you need to adapt and give it a few chances. We'll see.

PS: The aesthetics (or the art) are really clean, which is nice. It's not something that'll blow your mind, but it does it's job at creating a pleasant yet alien world.

Izuna

Banned
PayPal atm is disputing some payments so I can't use it, which means I can't buy the pre-order code from ebay (that I deserve). Did anyone get theirs from best buy?

RocknRola

PayPal atm is disputing some payments so I can't use it, which means I can't buy the pre-order code from ebay (that I deserve). Did anyone get theirs from best buy?

Not from BestBuy (none of that here) but I got it for 40€ at retail (which was also the PSN digital price).

Meccs

I hope they will continue to make sales so people will pick it up. It's too good.
It's also pretty clear that EA sees TF2 as a potential game to replace CoD. That's why they forced it out like this.

Menome

Finished the campaign yesterday after picking up the game on Black Friday. Absolutely great stuff, with the highlight being hunted down by the Reapers in the combat test-area. Genuinely felt like I was in a predator vs prey situation there.

Played a little bit of multiplayer as well and for some reason I'm finding it much more enjoyable than the first game's multiplayer Beta. Something's just clicked this time around and I'm loving it.

One thing I have to ask: Is there a way to turn off Aim-Assist on PS4? I've had a couple of situations now where I'm aiming at someone, then another enemy runs out from behind them and the crosshair starts tracking them instead, leading to my imminent death from two half-health people.

SwolBro

Banned
Was taking like 2 minutes at a time to get into a game of Attrition last night, around 7pm in the UK.

Feels like a sparse community already.

uh what? are you sure it's not network error? game had a 10k+player bump this weekend. i've never waited for a game at all, especially attrition.

Izuna

Banned
uh what? are you sure it's not network error? game had a 10k+player bump this weekend. i've never waited for a game at all, especially attrition.

It's pretty hard to find matches in the UK at certain times. I mostly play East US for this reason.

AllGamer

This. Played this weekend and there were around 25k players online. Never had to wait long to play Attrition.

I had a low latency (20) in the games and I was connected to a data center with a 23ms connection according to the menu.

Top Bottom