• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

No I'm just saying Tone shield is weak, especially vs Legion. I just rush pretty much any titan I see now and wail on them :p

Not really, it's the best mitigation against cores in the game. Funnily enough it's the best defensive ability against Salvo Core :/

E92 M3

I think weak is inaccurate. It's essentially invulnerability for several seconds with a short cooldown. It's the best defensive ability in the game, maybe even overall. For example, there is literally nothing a Scorch can do once it's down. Legion, for instance, only covers his torso and is still vulnerable in other areas, like his legs, and you can still land firewall and put gas canisters on his side. Tone cannot be touched.

Its a problem Tone can can be untouchable at range, destroy you even with both people in cover, and rush down people and wail on them. Tone is beatable, but her kit is ridiculous and completely divorced from the balance of the other titans.

I believe Scorch's fire goes through the shield along with Ronin's attack.

KodaRuss

To the other Ronin players out there, what loadout do you use normally?

I have been using Nuclear (and probably will not change from this) but I had been using the 2x Arc Wave. I switched to get the phase shift faster but I am not sure if I like it.

It feels like I dont do enough damage on the enemy before I am waiting on some sort of cooldown without a second Arc Wave.

One thing I know I need to work on is keeping my shield block up but it seems like I am always having to reload preventing me from doing it.

Naar

I think weak is inaccurate. It's essentially invulnerability for several seconds with a short cooldown. It's the best defensive ability in the game, maybe even overall. For example, there is literally nothing a Scorch can do once it's down. Legion, for instance, only covers his torso and is still vulnerable in other areas, like his legs, and you can still land firewall and put gas canisters on his side. Tone cannot be touched.

Its a problem Tone can can be untouchable at range, destroy you even with both people in cover, and rush down people and wail on them. Tone is beatable, but her kit is ridiculous and completely divorced from the balance of the other titans.

I didn't mean that the shield is bad, just that it doesn't last long, especially vs a Legion. Now that I think of it I think I use my shield the most vs Scorch, the rest I rush and try to get close or set up my shield after I get close to them.

E92 M3

Man, thinking back to the tech test, it was crazy Titans weren't guaranteed and they barely dropped. Respawn changed so much for the better.

Gator86

I believe Scorch's fire goes through the shield along with Ronin's attack.

Scorch's primary and gas canisters bounce right off. Even it that's the case that firewall goes through, which I don't believe it is, that leaves one easily avoidable attack for Scorch and Tone's entire array of cheese available to her. Scorch is still getting fucking wrecked. All he can do is flame shield and turtle backwards. Because of her speed and dash advantages, you can't rush her.

I didn't mean that the shield is bad, just that it doesn't last long, especially vs a Legion. Now that I think of it I think I use my shield the most vs Scorch, the rest I rush and try to get close or set up my shield after I get close to them.

You use the shield the most against the one dude who can reliably go through it? lol

Well his core goes through it I guess. Assumed firewall does but maybe not.

Either way yeah Scorch is kinda flanker type yet he doesn't have a dash, Tone can easily get out of him.

Broritos

Might not be able to get on tonight, but tomorrow for sure. Personally, I never face a Legion or Scorch directly. Legion still puts out a ton of DPS. Best to get behind him. Tone could use TWEAKS, but she is very much beatable. Been using Ion all weekend.

I just think people complain way TOO much and I hope Respawn acts accordingly.

Tone is not god, she is not unbeatable. She could use some subtle changes - keyword subtle. And Northstar needs some buffs. Other than that, we gucci.

Yes, this by a lot. I've actually been seeing less Tones now. I play on PC by the way and I would imagine the meta on PC compared to consoles differ slightly. I think people are finally understanding how to beat Tone. I agree that Tone needs to be adjusted but she's certainly not OP as some people might suggest.

I consider myself a really good Northstar player and I think her only problem is that she sucks against pilots. Maybe making the rifle more accurate when uncharged will fix that.

Gator86

I have been using Nuclear (and probably will not change from this) but I had been using the 2x Arc Wave. I switched to get the phase shift faster but I am not sure if I like it.

It feels like I dont do enough damage on the enemy before I am waiting on some sort of cooldown without a second Arc Wave.

One thing I know I need to work on is keeping my shield block up but it seems like I am always having to reload preventing me from doing it.

I've been messing around with double electric smoke. It makes a fantastic offensive and defensive addition to your ambushes.

Naar

Scorch's primary and gas canisters bounce right off. Even it that's the case that firewall goes through, which I don't believe it is, that leaves one easily avoidable attack for Scorch and Tone's entire array of cheese available to her. Scorch is still getting fucking wrecked. All he can do is flame shield and turtle backwards. Because of her speed and dash advantages, you can't rush her.

Yup that's why I use my shield primarily on scorch, his canisters bounce off my shield lol

Yes, this by a lot. I've actually been seeing less Tones now. I play on PC by the way and I would imagine the meta on PC compared to consoles differ slightly. I think people are finally understanding how to beat Tone. I agree that Tone needs to be adjusted but she's certainly not OP as some people might suggest.

I consider myself a really good Northstar player and I think her only problem is that she sucks against pilots. Maybe making the rifle more accurate when uncharged will fix that.

If people are anything like me, they're just switching off Tone because she's boring as hell to play.

Naar

You use the shield the most against the one dude who can reliably go through it? lol

Well his core goes through it I guess. Assumed firewall does but maybe not.

Either way yeah Scorch is kinda flanker type yet he doesn't have a dash, Tone can easily get out of him.

How :eek:? Scorch abilities bounce off my shield. Hell I even wait to attack them trying to bait them into firing their stuff first then popping my shield and go crazy on them after

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
If people are anything like me, they're just switching off Tone because she's boring as hell to play.

Yep. They're also probably trying to unlock other Titan skins

And people can still cheese hard with Ion's laser and Legions' smart core but Tone is just all around good. No cheese required. Which is the issue. You could break Ion or Legion easily. Tone in her current state has too much versatility.

How :eek:? Scorch abilities bounce off my shield. Hell I even wait to attack them trying to bait them into firing their stuff first then popping my shield and go crazy on them after

Huh, I've always faced a Scorch when they've had Flame Core up then I suppose. Just assumed most of their abilites broke through it too.

E92 M3

Ah yes, they do bounce off - it's just his hand slam and core that goes through. I imagine scorch on Angel City will be very good.

I've been using the 40mm since the franchise started - by far my favorite Titan weapon.

Ah yes, they do bounce off - it's just his hand slam and core that goes through. I imagine scorch on Angel City will be very good.

I've been using the 40mm since the franchise started - by far my favorite Titan weapon.

Well yeah, because it can easily one shot pilots and has 6 shots in a clip. Compared to Scorch's cannon which has about the same damage/AOE against pilots yet only has 1 shot and a long ass reload...

Alx

Nuclear
2x Arc Wave
Battery Boost

The battery boost is pretty essential if you're going to be using Ronin.

Battery boost is certainly effective, but it's so boring... :(
I went back to the "dice roll" random boost, it's not that bad after all. Well half of the boosts are still useless, but it makes you extra happy when you get a good one. :)

Izuna

Banned
Everytime I face a Legion and we are facing each other they destroy me in seconds. So I started rushing them while they take my life down and then nuclear eject and kill him in the process (and whoever else is next to him)

I dunno.

I switched from Tone originally because Legion was OP af. Then after like a week or smth Respawn nerfed to fucking oblivion for Titan fights.

But it's cool. Northstar is bae.

I'm still waiting for r34

Gator86

Yep. They're also probably trying to unlock other Titan skins

And people can still cheese hard with Ion's laser and Legions' smart core but Tone is just all around good. No cheese required. Which is the issue. You could break Ion or Legion easily. Tone in her current state has too much versatility.

I don't see that stuff as cheesy though. A laser that requires solid accuracy and removes your defensive and utility options? That's not cheese.

Smart core? Every core is powerful, except for Northstar's, of course. Even with his core, a Tone will still have similar DPS to a Legion and even higher DPS when you account for her superior burst, which is the more important DPS given how fights actually play out and the existence of cover.

I agree with your general point, but even the "cheesiest" aspects of other titans don't come close to the bullshit that is Tone. An equally skilled Ronin launching the perfect close range ambush on a Tone is still going to leave that fight almost doomed.

E92 M3

Yeah I don't see how Laser Core is cheese. You actually have to aim and it drains energy from your other abilities.

Anyway G2 with speedloader is orgasmic, I need to gif it at some point.

Izuna

Banned

Northstar is AMAZING against Pilots. She's one of the easiest to Goose with, and her Cluster is amazing.

I would say she's a little better at killing pilots than Tone.

Not to mention she is a Stryder class Titan, so if you Rodeo her she can get the kill like 90% of the time. (not when they smartly use Phase Shift I guess).

2x arc wave
Nuclear
Battery boost

Two arc waves is crucial I think. Arc wave once, unload your shotgun, arc wave a second time, phase shift to reload, etc. The phase shift kit takes too long to recharge, and you're better off slowing down the enemy with arc.

I personally want to move away from nuclear eject, but it's so good at getting your titan back after.

Well, yeah, Scorch has very limited anti-personnel capabilities.

You say this as if the 40mm/Tone isn't also extremely effective against Titans. She's a jack of all trades, master of all.

Decent health? Check. Dash? Check. Good against pilots? Check. Good against titans? Check. Doesn't require precision aim? Check. Good defense? Check.

The sooner she gets nerfed the better.

I tested a bunch of setups yesterday.

Sniping is not really viable in this game. I mean there will be a few players out there that can make it work. But for the vast majority of players, it won't be for them. This can be a good thing. No casual sniping.

A-Wall is so fucking under utilized in this game. Putting that down in a fire fight provides so much security and the buff your weapons get is amazing. One trigger squeeze from a Hemlock from sniper distances. During pilot vs titan fights also you can do great damage attacking behind it.

Phase Shift is not really good on offense. It can be at best a survivability tool, but I couldn't get it too click on offense.

This is not the Bible on these features but I think I gave them a fair shot. A-Wall might be my go to setup with Hemlock.

Tone can be considered OP but I think it's more people are afraid to get aggressive against her. If you are just going to sit back and try to trade shots with her, you are going down.

Northstar needs a buff.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Laser Shot is the cheese, not Laser Core.

It's so good that there's basically no reason to ever use your splitter rifle if you have Laser Shot.

I tested a bunch of setups yesterday.

Sniping is not really viable in this game. I mean there will be a few players out there that can make it work. But for the vast majority of players, it won't be for them. This can be a good thing. No casual sniping.

A-Wall is so fucking under utilized in this game. Putting that down in a fire fight provides so much security and the buff your weapons get is amazing. One trigger squeeze from a Hemlock from sniper distances. During pilot vs titan fights also you can do great damage attacking behind it.

Phase Shift is not really good on offense. It can be at best a survivability tool, but I couldn't get it too click on offense.

This is not the Bible on these features but I think I gave them a fair shot. A-Wall might be my go to setup with Hemlock.

Tone can be considered OP but I think it's more people are afraid to get aggressive against her. If you are just going to sit back and try to trade shots with her, you are going down.

Northstar needs a buff.
How can you get aggressive against her when she has a Dash and will be able to gun you down if you attack her straight on?

You flank her? She dashes back and still almost dooms you, if she has Salvo Core you're dead or doomed at least. Oh and also she has a wallhack so good luck flanking her.

Try and charge straight on? She guns you down as you try and sprint at her, using a dash as backup.

Gator86

Laser Shot is the cheese, not Laser Core.

It's so good that there's basically no reason to ever use your splitter rifle if you have Laser Shot.

You'll wind up an energy-depleted corpse in no time at all that way. Sure, it's fine from a long distance, but your energy reserves deplete quickly and you need your primary to recharge them, if you're using that perk. Also, if you encounter another Titan, you're basically defenseless with no energy.

Broritos

Northstar is AMAZING against Pilots. She's one of the easiest to Goose with, and her Cluster is amazing.

I would say she's a little better at killing pilots than Tone.

Not to mention she is a Stryder class Titan, so if you Rodeo her she can get the kill like 90% of the time. (not when they smartly use Phase Shift I guess).

I disagree. Clust is great but you get one shot and have to wait for the cool down. It's a long lasting AOE but there are always pilots flying all over the map so I find it kind of situational. The charge rifle is a slow ass 40mm and is no way more efficient at killing pilots. Any Titan with a dash can easily melee a redeo pilot that just got off.

I think Ronin is the best or at least tied for first with Tone as best pilot killer. He's way faster than pilots and the sword has wider and longer reach so you can just run around the map and swipe at pretty much anything that moves. Shotgun is pretty solid at shooting thru doorways and windows too.

E92 M3

You say this as if the 40mm/Tone isn't also extremely effective against Titans. She's a jack of all trades, master of all.

Decent health? Check. Dash? Check. Good against pilots? Check. Good against titans? Check. Doesn't require precision aim? Check. Good defense? Check.

The sooner she gets nerfed the better.

Not at all, she is just good, but not master. Every Titan requires a different approach and Tone's biggest weakness is her position in relation to the battlefield. Of course, if you walk in straight lines she will fuck you up. Titan combat is all about STRATEGY.

Tone needs tweaking, not full blown nerfs. Just because she can be annoying, doesn't mean she is completely broken.

In the real world, the general population doesn't have any issues with Tone. In fact, this weekend I saw very diverse Titan lineups. Lots more Scorches than usual.

Not at all, she is just good, but not master. Every Titan requires a different approach and Tone's biggest weakness is her position in relation to the battlefield. Of course, if you walk in straight lines she will fuck you up. Titan combat is all about STRATEGY.

Tone needs tweaking, not full blown nerfs. Just because she can be annoying, doesn't mean she is completely broken.

Okay but her position is hard to compromise considering she has a wallhack and a dash inherent in all of her loadouts lol

Izuna

Banned
I disagree. Clust is great but you get one shot and have to wait for the cool down. It's a long lasting AOE but there are always pilots flying all over the map so I find it kind of situational. The charge rifle is a slow ass 40mm and is no way more efficient at killing pilots. Any Titan with a dash can easily melee a redeo pilot that just got off.

I think Ronin is the best or at least tied for first with Tone as best pilot killer. He's way faster than pilots and the sword has wider and longer reach so you can just run around the map and swipe at pretty much anything that moves. Shotgun is pretty solid at shooting thru doorways and windows too.

Situational such as lighting up almost ANY bank?

Also, I really love how easily her Primary is with killing Pilots

e1rnDsT.gif

--

Also Trance, no nerfs for Tone. BUFFS FOR OTHERS

remember? <3

Gator86

How can you get aggressive against her when she has a Dash and will be able to gun you down if you attack her straight on?

You flank her? She dashes back and still almost dooms you, if she has Salvo Core you're dead or doomed at least. Oh and also she has a wallhack so good luck flanking her.

Try and charge straight on? She guns you down as you try and sprint at her, using a dash as backup.

Basically, the problem with Tone is that there's no situation where she doesn't have the advantage. The example people use is that she's bad at close range. Really? Smoke, sonar, pop, pop, missles and that Ronin is basically scrap if they don't block the entire missle barrage which they should even be able to see because of the smoke. And yeah, you should have that smoke ready because how are pilots mounting you? You have wall hack and fire exploding school buses.

Broritos

Depending on what Titan you're using, you can in fact just walk straight in front of a Tone. Ronin, Scorch and Ion are all able to just walk in on even a shielded Tone. I would actually recommend it if you are 1v1. Tone's shield is good but the problem with it is that its stationary. Force Tone to move and the shield becomes useless. Vortex shield, Flame shield and even Ronin's block plus phase shift makes it really easy to walk in on a Tone, depending on the distance of course.

e1rnDsT.gif

--

remember? <3
Seeing your gifs makes me want to play Northstar but then I remember how good awful his core and defensive abilities are. Like they're actually negatives. His trap is kinda bad too.

E92 M3

Okay but her position is hard to compromise considering she has a wallhack and a dash inherent in all of her loadouts lol

It's not, I'm flanking Tones often or changing elevation. Titan gameplay is about anticipating actions and acting accordingly. It's like playing chess. Most people just walk in straight lines and shoot - of course, Tone will fuck you up then.

I've killed many, many teams of Tones and they aren't too hard. Have a harder time with a with smart Scorch that doesn't become overzealous.

e1rnDsT.gif

--

remember? <3

It's hard fighting the horde lol. The people that enjoy the game don't post while the complaints are the loudest. I know Respawn is smart enough to not make her useless, but we'll see.

Depending on what Titan you're using, you can in fact just walk straight in front of a Tone. Ronin, Scorch and Ion are all able to just walk in on even a shielded Tone. I would actually recommend it if you are 1v1. Tone's shield is good but the problem with it is that its stationary. Force Tone to move and the shield becomes useless. Vortex shield, Flame shield and even Ronin's block plus phase shift makes it really easy to walk in on a Tone, depending on the distance of course.

Yes, situational awareness is very important.

For instance, this Legion failed to calculate the potential of an enemy being on top when summoning his Titan and he got punished:

bMkxXrt.gif

Positioning is super important for Tone.

Gator86

In the real world, the general population doesn't have any issues with Tone.
In fact, this weekend I saw very diverse Titan lineups. Lots more Scorches than usual.

Citation required

Izuna

Banned

The 40mm alone has top-tier DPS. So with the Shield, that gives her time.

Ion is the only counter in theory in that she can use the Shield to negate and return any damage when she sees a shield popped up, but sadly her energy means thats he can't keep up with Tone's DPS. She needs to fight at very long ranges to win that fight with two equally skilled players.

Seeing your gifs makes me want to play Northstar but then I remember how good awful his core and defensive abilities are. Like they're actually negatives. His trap is kinda bad too.

Her trap is amazing. Just trap then Nuclear. Sure, it's Kamikaze, but you get another Titan immediately after*

*only on average and casual players, who don't know that they can manual eject...

Broritos

.gif

--

remember? <3

Bounty hunt sucks ass so I never play it. For that mode Clust does look pretty great so I see where you're coming from now. 40mm still way better at pilot killing than rifle dough.

It's hard fighting the horde lol. The people that enjoy the game don't post while the complaints are the loudest. I know Respawn is smart enough to not make her useless, but we'll see.
..uh I've already regenned so I clearly love the game. God forbid I have suggestions on how to make the game better, let's all just turn it in to a circlejerk where we don't have any criticisms I guess.
Why the Cold War reloads so god damn slow?

No idea but it's laughable. Softball reload is also slow but that has 6 shots per clip, Cold War has 3...

Izuna

Banned
Bounty hunt sucks ass so I never play it. For that mode Clust does look pretty great so I see where you're coming from now. 40mm still way better at pilot killing than rifle dough.

Railgun > 40mm for Goosing, which is super important in Attrition too.

Now I'm not saying that Northstar > Tone, but her anti-Pilot capabilities are amazing.

I used to run an Atlas with 40mm and Cluster in R1. Cluster here doesn't have the same auto-aim as it used to, but because of the maps being daft it's even better here. Railgun itself, you can destroy Pilots from a distance quickly just as well as you can with Tone.

Then of course, we have Amped Hardpoint where Northstar can just blow up a point...

--

This is my fav Northstar gif

hXjWw1n.gif

Top Bottom