• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Gator86

If the real world didn't have issues with Tone she wouldn't have like an 80% pick rate lol.

200.gif

E92 M3

Citation required

It's anecdotal obviously, but I message people to find out their thoughts.

..uh I've already regenned so I clearly love the game. God forbid I have suggestions on how to make the game better, let's all just turn it in to a circlejerk where we don't have any criticisms I guess.

No idea but it's laughable. Softball reload is also slow but that has 6 shots per clip, Cold War has 3...

What's with the aggressiveness? Right now it's a circlejerk of nerf tone. Same thing. I am just stating my opinion like you are.

If the real world didn't have issues with Tone she wouldn't have like an 80% pick rate lol.

It's not 80%, but closer to 60% I would say. Ryu also gets picked a lot. What's wrong if something is popular?

Nothing is wrong with it.

Broritos

The 40mm alone has top-tier DPS. So with the Shield, that gives her time.

Ion is the only counter in theory in that she can use the Shield to negate and return any damage when she sees a shield popped up, but sadly her energy means thats he can't keep up with Tone's DPS. She needs to fight at very long ranges to win that fight with two equally skilled players.

Her trap is amazing. Just trap then Nuclear. Sure, it's Kamikaze, but you get another Titan immediately after*

*only on average and casual players, who don't know that they can manual eject...

That all depends on the distance an Ion needs to travel. What I personally do is take the 40mm hits, wait for salvo in order to catch via vortex shield and after I walk past her shield, throw back salvo then lay my hits. I time my attacks and shield based on salvo and almost never attack the shield when I use Ion.

Izuna

Banned
That all depends on the distance an Ion needs to travel. What I personally do is take the 40mm hits, wait for salvo in order to catch via vortex shield and after I walk past her shield, throw back salvo then lay my hits. I time my attacks and shield based on salvo and almost never attack the shield when I use Ion.

What do you do if a Tone never uses Salvo though? She shouldn't if you're in her line of sight. She has better DPS hitting crits.

Also, Ion's Core is far more avoidable than Tone's.

E92 M3

Honestly, it's okay that we have a circlejerk of nerf tones and throwing out percentages without citation (which is whatever), but dissenting opinion is stopping criticism? I play this game a shit ton and not scared out to call out stuff that needs work - Northstar, map design and maybe some Tone tweaks - but she is not as almighty as everyone makes her out to be.

I can only imagine if Halo CE came out during this time people would be crying about the Pistol like crazy. Tone does not break the ecosystem - and that's all that matters.

It's anecdotal obviously, but I message people to find out their thoughts.

What's with the aggressiveness? Right now it's a circlejerk of nerf tone. Same thing. I am just stating my opinion like you are.

It's not 80%, but closer to 60% I would say. Ryu also gets picked a lot. What's wrong if something is popular?

Nothing is wrong with it.

The aggressiveness? lol you started it. You called people who had differing opinions on balance as the "hordes" who don't love the game. Criticisms of the beta led to a much better final product and I'd like to think a Tone nerf would lead to a better game too.

If you disagree that's fine but don't write off the massive amounts of complaints as her as just being hordes of people who don't love the game.

Izuna

Banned
It's okay. Respawn so far as only listened to me.

They didn't really nerf Tone, and they ripped Legion a new battery compartment.

E92 M3

The aggressiveness? lol you started it. You called people who had differing opinions on balance as the "hordes" who don't love the game. Criticisms of the beta led to a much better final product and I'd like to think a Tone nerf would lead to a better game too.

If you disagree that's fine but don't write off the massive amounts of complaints as her as just being hordes of people who don't love the game.

Well, it is a horde of people saying to nerf tone into the ground lol. She doesn't need nerfing into the ground. Some subtle tweaks here and there.

And when did I say you don't love the game? We all love the game here.

Better game for whom? People that don't use Tone? No one loves to see their favorite stuff ruined. Subtle tweaks will make sure that Tone users are left happy as well.

KodaRuss

This banner is pretty badass.

316px-Titanfall_2_Callsign_Titanium_Throne.jpg

Anyone have it, called "Titanium Throne".

Also, this one. Where do I get it? And I want it now - Called "To the Nines"

For that Daft Punk Titanfall 2 player, like myself.

316px-Titanfall_2_Callsign_To_The_Nines.jpg

Cels

how does scorch's heat shield do vs ion?

which of her abilities does it block? (splitter rifle, laser shot, laser core)

or actually, is there anything the heat shield does not block? (from any source)

Broritos

What do you do if a Tone never uses Salvo though? She shouldn't if you're in her line of sight. She has better DPS hitting crits.

Also, Ion's Core is far more avoidable than Tone's.

There's never a time when a Tone doesn't use her salvo. Even then, I run free trip-wire and extra dash so I can keep Tone close to me while still having enough energy to vortex 40mm which I do depending on the situation and laser every now and then while laying on the with the rifle. I know I'm making it sound like I'm doing multiple actions at once but really all I worry about is salvo once I pass her shield. I find that laser plus rifle kills Tone before Tone kill me with just the 40mm alone.

Izuna

Banned
how does scorch's heat shield do vs ion?

which of her abilities does it block? (splitter rifle, laser shot, laser core)

or actually, is there anything the heat shield does not block? (from any source)

It doesn't block any Core Ability (except maybe Northstar's lmao)

There's never a time when a Tone doesn't use her salvo. Even then, I run free trip-wire and extra dash so I can keep Tone close to me while still having enough energy to vortex 40mm which I do depending on the situation and laser every now and then while laying on the with the rifle. I know I'm making it sound like I'm doing multiple actions at once but really all I worry about is salvo once I pass her shield. I find that laser plus rifle kills Tone before Tone kill me with just the 40mm alone.

If a Tone is using her Tracker Rockets head on with an Ion, that's a bad Tone.

Broritos

It doesn't block any Core Ability (except maybe Northstar's lmao)

If a Tone is using her Tracker Rockets head on with an Ion, that's a bad Tone.

The point is to force Tone to not have any other option. With Ion it's easy to get in her face just by holding up vortex shield and dashing in front of her and going thru her shield.

Gator86

Well, it is a horde of people saying to nerf tone into the ground lol. She doesn't need nerfing into the ground. Some subtle tweaks here and there.

And when did I say you don't love the game? We all love the game here.

Better game for whom? People that don't use Tone? No one loves to see their favorite stuff ruined. Subtle tweaks will make sure that Tone users are left happy as well.

It's hard fighting the horde lol. The people that enjoy the game don't post while the complaints are the loudest. I know Respawn is smart enough to not make her useless, but we'll see.

The problem is that your posts are filled with gaslighting. You say stuff then immediately deny saying it. You call people with criticisms salty babies only crying because they can't beat stuff. You accuse people of not actually liking the game. You imply you have a greater awareness of the game, player population, and meta than the average poster, then immediately pretend you never said any of that.

The game is better when it's balanced and Titans have strengths and weaknesses. You can't balance a game around "never nerf things that are too good because then the people who got an advantage from using them might be sad." I'm probably not going to shed too many years for the despondent Tone players who actually have to encounter disadvantageous scenarios after the patch. They will learn to cope somehow.

Bought this over BF weekend and loving it. Think it's my new casual shooter. Very fun.

Only a couple gripes...

Spawning is very hit and miss.

Not liking the aim assit locking on Titans while a pilot. I'll be in a fire fight and it'll lock on a Titan. End up getting killed over it

RocknRola

Got to play a little bit more, man the game is fun! I think I'm getting the movement a bit better and it feels awesome to just flow through a level and shotgun people (PS: the shotgun is awesome! Feels nice and powerful!).

We need to set up a private Last Titan Standing match with all Tones on one side and then a mix of others that people like to use and see what kind of outcomes we get.

E92 M3

The problem is that your posts are filled with gaslighting. You say stuff then immediately deny saying it. You call people with criticisms salty babies only crying because they can't beat stuff. You accuse people of not actually liking the game. You imply you have a greater awareness of the game, player population, and meta than the average poster, then immediately pretend you never said any of that.

The game is better when it's balanced and Titans have strengths and weaknesses. You can't balance a game around "never nerf things that are too good because then the people who got an advantage from using them might be sad." I'm probably not going to shed too many years for the despondent Tone players who actually have to encounter disadvantageous scenarios after the patch. They will learn to cope somehow.

There is a lot of exaggeration in your post (I never accused or name called anyone), but nonetheless it feels like I get attacked for having a different opinion on Tone. I literally did not touch Tone all weekend and felt just as strong in an Ion and Scorch.

I agree that Tone needs some tweaks - but nothing too crazy. You've also made your disdain for Tone very obvious. We both have a bias towards a certain direction, but I am trying to be objective.

Izuna

Banned
The point is to force Tone to not have any other option. With Ion it's easy to get in her face just by holding up vortex shield and dashing in front of her and going thru her shield.

If you get close to Tone, what's the benefit? It's not like Ion has any CQ stuff. And nah, they are both Atlas classes. Tone can dash back as much as Ion can dash forward.

All it takes is to use a few primary fires into Ion's shield then pop up the wall if you need to.

I've played a few 1v1s and seriously, Ion doesn't win this fight sadly (like I thought). If you're on XBox or PC we can put this to the test.

E92 M3

It's also important to remember that LTS and PVP are very specific modes. Most battles do not occur in a vacuum. Pilots can drastically change the landscape of a Titan battle. In fact, it really rustles my jimmies when no one shoots Titans on my team lol.

Would be great for the patch notes to come out soon so we have talking and reference point.

Izuna

Banned
It's also important to remember that LTS and PVP are very specific modes. Most battles do not occur in a vacuum. Pilots can drastically change the landscape of a Titan battle. In fact, it really rustles my jimmies when no one shoots Titans on my team lol.

Of course.

Though tbh, the only class that is "worse" in LTS is Legion. Everyone else is roughly just as good as they are in the TDM modes.

Broritos

If you get close to Tone, what's the benefit? It's not like Ion has any CQ stuff. And nah, they are both Atlas classes. Tone can dash back as much as Ion can dash forward.

All it takes is to use a few primary fires into Ion's shield then pop up the wall if you need to.

I've played a few 1v1s and seriously, Ion doesn't win this fight sadly (like I thought). If you're on XBox or PC we can put this to the test.

Ya, why not. I'm on PC. Haven't joined the Gaf network but I will now later this evening if I get on.

Origin username is MEATfast

Would be great for the patch notes to come out soon so we have talking and reference point.

This is where every team needs A-Wallers. Get on a roof top, throw up your shield and rain down on Titans.

Gator86

There is a lot of exaggeration in your post (I never accused or name called anyone), but nonetheless it feels like I get attacked for having a different opinion on Tone. I literally did not touch Tone all weekend and felt just as strong in an Ion and Scorch.

I agree that Tone needs some tweaks - but nothing too crazy. You've also made your disdain for Tone very obvious. We both have a bias towards a certain direction, but I am trying to be objective.

It's gaslighting to pretend everyone is biased except for you, the objective, dispassionate observer. At no point has anyone seriously suggested nerfing Tone as to be unusable.

No one is attacking you for disagreeing. People object to your gaslighting and attempts to paint everyone else as delusional, crybabies working to destroy the game because they are helpless in the face of the mighty Tone. Obviously, Tone's advantage is a matter of degrees. She doesn't win every fight or turn scrubs into pros. However, she does lack any clear weaknesses and have advantages in almost all matchups. People object to that.

Railgun > 40mm for Goosing, which is super important in Attrition too.

Now I'm not saying that Northstar > Tone, but her anti-Pilot capabilities are amazing.

I used to run an Atlas with 40mm and Cluster in R1. Cluster here doesn't have the same auto-aim as it used to, but because of the maps being daft it's even better here. Railgun itself, you can destroy Pilots from a distance quickly just as well as you can with Tone.

Then of course, we have Amped Hardpoint where Northstar can just blow up a point...

--

This is my fav Northstar gif

hXjWw1n.gif
I don't agree. Maybe on pc. As a northstar user, the 40mm beats it almost everytime vs pilots. Cluster mines with upgrade are great but sonar + 40mm wreck pilots with little aiming skill required. Leading shots with northstar is much harder

RedFury

We need to set up a private Last Titan Standing match with all Tones on one side and then a mix of others that people like to use and see what kind of outcomes we get.
I'd be down for this just for fun. To be quite frank it doesn't matter. I've come against teams of full tones and our team had one of each titan and we would steam roll them. It's more skill that the kit itself. People play pubs but when you have a full mixed team that knows their ROLE everything melts quick.

Izuna

Banned
I don't agree. Maybe on pc. As a northstar user, the 40mm beats it almost everytime vs pilots. Cluster mines with upgrade are great but sonar + 40mm wreck pilots with little aiming skill required. Leading shots with northstar is much harder

I don't have much footage as my Northstar, but I do have my Tone gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuM15hqODQ

Believe me when I say that I can do with Northstar what I can do with Tone here, plus have an easier time with Goosers.

Northstar vs. Titans is like 100% Nuclear for me though sadly.

Also I play on Xbox One

E92 M3

It's gaslighting to pretend everyone is biased except for you, the objective, dispassionate observer. At no point has anyone seriously suggested nerfing Tone as to be unusable.

No one is attacking you for disagreeing. People object to your gaslighting and attempts to paint everyone else as delusional, crybabies working to destroy the game because they are helpless in the face of the mighty Tone. Obviously, Tone's advantage is a matter of degrees. She doesn't win every fight or turn scrubs into pros. However, she does lack any clear weaknesses and have advantages in almost all matchups. People object to that.

Some suggest huge nerfs.

I think my tone (lol) is mistaken for a more abrasive nature than it actually is. I know, we have a lot of disagreement over Tone, but think the solution should be elegant and minute. Either way, once the patch notes hit we will have something of substance to discuss.

KodaRuss

Tone needs some sort of change likely. I hit Gen 10 with her and switched to Ronin. I will say I am seeing her less and less being picked though.

Edit: I would be ok with a small buff to Ronin and a decent buff to Northstar though.

See what happens after that.

Cels

if ion uses vortex shield to abosrb tone's tracker rockets, and shoots them back, do they track or just shoot straight?

Drifters

Ion player chimming in after getting my Tone up to G2.4 or so.

Ion is a lot more balanced than people think. If you can manage your energy consumption you can push two Titans back without much effort while taking out pilots and AI in the process. Legions who keep firing into the Vortex that is buffed make me laugh since I can drain an energy shield + 1 bar with about half a clip of another Titan. AI gets to be cannon fodder too since you can simply spray them with the bullets and then go back to blocking.

My setup is Nuclear eject, Vortex Buff and dome delivery.

Many times I will simply Dash and Vortex in and nuclear eject, take out multiple Titans and then deploy in another Titan if I get killed on eject. It truly is a thing of beauty.

E92 M3

Tone needs some sort of change likely. I hit Gen 10 with her and switched to Ronin. I will say I am seeing her less and less being picked though.

Edit: I would be ok with a small buff to Ronin and a decent buff to Northstar though.

Same thing I'm seeing. Northstar definitely needs a buff and Ronin could use an extra shot in the leadwall.

deoee

Ion is a lot more balanced than people think. If you can manage your energy consumption you can push two Titans back without much effort while taking out pilots and AI in the process. Legions who keep firing into the Vortex that is buffed make me laugh since I can drain an energy shield + 1 bar with about half a clip of another Titan. AI gets to be cannon fodder too since you can simply spray them with the bullets and then go back to blocking.

Many times I will simply Dash and Vortex in and nuclear eject, take out multiple Titans and then deploy in another Titan if I get killed on eject. It truly is a thing of beauty.

https://gfycat.com/ReliableHastyBarnswallow

I don't have much footage as my Northstar, but I do have my Tone gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGuM15hqODQ

Believe me when I say that I can do with Northstar what I can do with Tone here, plus have an easier time with Goosers.

Northstar vs. Titans is like 100% Nuclear for me though sadly.

Also I play on Xbox One
Exact opposite for me, especially if you miss the first shot going for that goose. Too much of a delay in NS's shots whereas I can spam the 40mm. My Tone is maybe lvl 15 and my NS is almost gen 3 and it feels like I have waaay more pilot kills as Tone mostly due to sonar+tracking+Splash. I only have to point in their general direction, with tone, most of the time. You must be a master at leading shots

KodaRuss

Yeah, Ion is fine. I am not that great with him but I have seen plenty that are. Legion and Scorch seem fine as well. Tone and Ronin are question marks and Northstar needs something. Not sure what she needs though. Maybe a shield when she is in the air.

deoee

You can not compare Tone's 40mm to Northstar's Railgun IMO.

The former is way more easy to land hits with, cause the travel time and drop off FEEL a lot less plus there is slight auto-snapping of the bullet.

I miss so many Railgun shots by a small amount because the bullet has travel time and rather high drop off... :/
It's also harder to aim with NS's uncharged Railgun cause the crosshair is huge

Gator86

I wonder how much of it is just people burning out on playing her. I haven't hit Gen10 on any titan because I enjky the variety. The buff to Ronin has to be pretty small. If they buff him a lot and fix some of the remaining bugs with things like executions and reaper collision detection, he'll be goddamn terrifying.

Northstar definitely needs a solid buff. I've only seen a few Northstars, playing halfway to Gen6, that weren't complete pushovers. I think the part of the problem is flight just sucks. You get shredded by everyone on the map immediately.

Yeah, Ion is fine. I am not that great with him but I have seen plenty that are. Legion and Scorch seem fine as well. Tone and Ronin are question marks and Northstar needs something. Not sure what she needs though. Maybe a shield when she is in the air.

Ha, I was just thinking that too. Some type of damage reduction while airborne would solve most of her issues, I think.

KodaRuss

I wonder how much of it is just people burning out on playing her. I haven't hit Gen10 on any titan because I enjky the variety. The buff to Ronin has to be pretty small. If they buff him a lot and fix some of the remaining bugs with things like executions and reaper collision detection, he'll be goddamn terrifying.

Northstar definitely needs a solid buff. I've only seen a few Northstars, playing halfway to Gen6, that weren't complete pushovers. I think the part of the problem is flight just sucks. You get shredded by everyone on the map immediately.

Yeah, all I think Ronin needs is maybe an extra shot in his clip. If they fix the execution crap that would be huge for Ronin. You live and die by those invinceability frames.

I feel like a hitscan attack at full charge would do wonders. A shield in the air would be cool too.

Unrelated but you guys must be playing some pretty shitty players if you keep getting nuclear eject kills. It's way to easy to escape save for certain maps or if you are wrecking an auto titan. Unless there is some trick to it that i'm missing?

Top Bottom