• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

I need to try warpfall. I got killed by one when the pilot was rodeoing me. I popped a smoke thinking, pssh easy kill, then bam Titanfall cause I stayed put for the smoke.

Discobird

Anyone else really miss the active radar pulse from R1? Once I got used to it, ARP + EVA-8 gave me a feeling of being a sneaky flanking predator that I haven't quite been able to recapture here--almost like I was playing a Batman game while all the mooks were playing COD. Pulse Blade isn't the same since it doesn't travel with you (hence discourages mobility) and it warns the other team. Maybe Respawn felt ARP would have been OP in this game since the grunt density is lower compared to R1 and pilot movement speeds are a tad lower too? Seeing as ARP was balanced by the difficulty in distinguishing grunts from pilots and the fact that it that lagged behind player positions.

Matchmaking should always be about trying to get you into the game as fast as possible. That I can leave a game and be in another within 20 seconds is one of the great things about Titanfall 2. If skill based matchmaking would change that then fuck that. There just isn't the playerbase for something like that imo.

The Volt is still a crazy powerful gun. I tried the CAR after the patch and anyone saying that gun is better is mad. The "nerf" has made no noticeable difference that I can spot, close and long range it's still great and it's still all I use because it's so fun to play with, one of the most fun guns I've ever used in an FPS.

I agree that maybe they should balance PC and console separately, the games feel very different, console is much slower and a lot more roof camping (even though it happens on PC too it's not to the same level as on the PS4). On PC there is a ton of SMG players moving around as much as possible and a lot of Devotion's. Hemlock doesn't get much use from what I'm seeing.

As a PC player, I agree with all of this. After a couple of hours of using the Volt since the nerf, the change is barely perceptible. In that time there were maybe two or three kills that slipped away that I felt I would've clinched before the nerf. It's still a fantastic gun.

I'm also not really feeling the R97 buff either but I need to spend more time with it. Still not sure when I would take it over the Alternator or EVA-8.

Cloak seems pretty terrible now. Yes, I know it works the same way it did in R1, but it was pretty terrible there too. It's even worse here since Phase Shift is a strong competitor if you need an anti-titan tactical.

Gurrry

I dont know how accurate it is but it seems that the game isnt hitting the numbers they wanted. Free weekends, huge sales not long after launch, etc.

I am probably going to buy it after I play it during this free weekend. So I hope they are able to make up some ground after this with people like me.

Lol, why is the only argument against SBMM "I really have to play hard and can't watch TV on my second monitor and win games"! Really guys? If everyone wins ~50% matchmaking would be ideal. If there are enough players around your skill level you should always get matched up with them. If not then with weaker or better ones naturally. You would always find games and games would be close most of the time. There would be no issue. You can not argue against that except if your goal is to roflstomp people.

It gets sweaty with no reward. It stops feeling like you are progressing in skill and every match becomes repetitive. There becomes little performance variance because everyone is equally skilled.

It's like being Christiano Ronaldo and every time you go to the park for a friendly kick about, the entire Barcelona team are there for you to play against. It forces you to work extremely hard for the win and matches become awfully serious.

They should add a ranked mode, so that people looking for a competitive experience can get that, somewhere, but they shouldn't mess with the relatively unregulated SBMM in regular lobbies. It's absolutely no fun to play for hours on end and feel as if you're still the 1:1 player you always were.

The theory behind skill based matchmaking is that it keeps players within their 'zone of proximal development' but without the positive reinforcement to demonstrate development of acquired skill, it misses the point. Skill based matchmaking works in ranked modes, where the win in and of itself, feels like an achievement, but in unranked, the lack of ability to meaningfully demonstrate acquired skill due to the matchmakings effort to level the playing field, can make the experience feel repetitive, and stagnated over time.

I feel that, from a game design perspective the proponents of skill based matchmaking have taken a little too much from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi work on flow. Just because I tend to be one of the better players in these lobbies doesn't mean that I feel the game is easy or boring, the moment to moment gameplay keeps me engaged as it has mechanical depth, so regardless of the outcome of the actual match there are features that maintain flow at a mechanical level, especially in a game like TItanfall where even movement around the map affords a continuous progression of one's skill. The point is, you don't need an equal playing field to keep people engaged if your game is mechanically deep and engaging to play in its moment to moment gameplay and dragging everyone towards a 1:1 KDR and tough matches that play as if they are ranked, is irritating and becomes tedious.

It reminds me why I quit playing Rocket League in Season 1. I played ranked to compete, and casual to just chill, but players like Gibbs and Kronovi would appear in casual games due to the skill based matchmaking. The casual matches were as sweaty and competitive as the ranked playlist, leading to my eventual burnout on the game. I played casual to mess about, do cool aerials, take risks that I couldn't in ranked and just have fun, but it stopped being like that when the game designed to place me against top 100 players in casual matches.

E92 M3

It gets sweaty with no reward. It stops feeling like you are progressing in skill and every match becomes repetitive. There becomes little performance variance because everyone is equally skilled.

It's like being Christiano Ronaldo and every time you go to the park for a friendly kick about, the entire Barcelona team are there for you to play against. It forces you to work extremely hard for the win and matches become awfully serious.

They should add a ranked mode, so that people looking for a competitive experience can get that, somewhere, but they shouldn't mess with the relatively unregulated SBMM in regular lobbies. It's absolutely no fun to play for hours on end and feel as if you're still the 1:1 player you always were.

The theory behind skill based matchmaking is that it keeps players within their 'zone of proximal development' but without the positive reinforcement to demonstrate development of acquired skill, it misses the point. Skill based matchmaking works in ranked modes, where the win in and of itself, feels like an achievement, but in unranked, the lack of ability to meaningfully demonstrate acquired skill due to the matchmakings effort to level the playing field, can make the experience feel repetitive, and stagnated over time.

I feel that, from a game design perspective the proponents of skill based matchmaking have taken a little too much from Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi work on flow. Just because I tend to be one of the better players in these lobbies doesn't mean that I feel the game is easy or boring, the moment to moment gameplay keeps me engaged as it has mechanical depth, so regardless of the outcome of the actual match there are features that maintain flow at a mechanical level, especially in a game like TItanfall where even movement around the map affords a continuous progression of one's skill. The point is, you don't need an equal playing field to keep people engaged if your game is mechanically deep and engaging to play in its moment to moment gameplay and dragging everyone towards a 1:1 KDR ratio and tough matches that play as if they are ranked, it gets irritating.

It reminds me why I quit playing Rocket League in Season 1. I played ranked to compete, and casual to just chill, but players like Gibbs and Kronovi would appear in casual games due to the skill based matchmaking. The casual matches were as sweaty and competitive as the ranked playlist, leading to my eventual burnout on the game. I played casual to mess about, do cool aerials, take risks that I couldn't in ranked and just have fun, but it stopped being like that when the game designed to place me against top 100 players in casual matches.

Beautiful post!

Keihart

I'm really getting down with the Softball as my main weapon, but since is a projectile style weapon and not hit scan, i really hate when matches aproach a 200 ms ping because i start shooting water baloons.
Anyhow i wish there was an attachment to make the grenades from softball bounce once in anything that is not a pilot.

Izuna

Banned

honestly, the bad build for the tech test was a big issue too

All the people most vocal about R1 talked about how they disliked R2's MP. almost everyone I talk to "Titanfall 2's MP is suppose to be shite, right?"

and I will say, "oh, that was just the alpha test"

then they will say, "does the full game have better maps?"

and then I realise I can't honestly say so. The Tech Test was rubbish for all the same reasons why R2 still isn't as good as R1. What it does well, man, I dunno. CoD players no longer suck at the game? It's better than Infinite Warfare?

I can't think of the best way to describe R2 other than "Campaign is a MUST play, but the MP ain't as good as the original".

I hope Respawn updates this game so much it's bare unrecognisable to the Tech Test.

Izuna

Banned
Anyone else really miss the active radar pulse from R1? Once I got used to it, ARP + EVA-8 gave me a feeling of being a sneaky flanking predator that I haven't quite been able to recapture here--almost like I was playing a Batman game while all the mooks were playing COD. Pulse Blade isn't the same since it doesn't travel with you (hence discourages mobility) and it warns the other team. Maybe Respawn felt ARP would have been OP in this game since the grunt density is lower compared to R1 and pilot movement speeds are a tad lower too? Seeing as ARP was balanced by the difficulty in distinguishing grunts from pilots and the fact that it that lagged behind player positions.

Yeah. It wasn't something I used but I don't even understand the change. The Solar Knife isn't cool. It was fine before. I mean, even Map Hack only affected one player when it was a Burn Card.

A lot of changes in R2 make no sense and it's really evident when playing Angel City. It's just objectively a worse designed game. Pilot Turrets don't annoy me too much since they're rare, but holy fuck do they not add to the game's enjoyability.

I'm struggling to think of a single thing I like more in R2. Maybe there are some things, but it's never at the tip of my tongue. Maybe the fact that there's a slide?

--

Titan's being heroes and not customisable is fine. Wanna know a Titan's abilities by looking at it? Fine.

But it does nothing to the then present you with unwinnable battles because they could be a counter-pick. I fucking groan when I see a Ronin turn around the corner and I'm Northstar. What's even the point? I can't do shit.

Maybe I'll switch to Legion in response... and then an Ion turns 'round the corner. It's stupid. I don't want to win counter-pick fights, I want to feel like I have out-played someone. That became situational in this game, for it to even be an option.

Gator86

Yeah. It wasn't something I used but I don't even understand the change. The Solar Knife isn't cool. It was fine before. I mean, even Map Hack only affected one player when it was a Burn Card.

A lot of changes in R2 make no sense and it's really evident when playing Angel City. It's just objectively a worse designed game. Pilot Turrets don't annoy me too much since they're rare, but holy fuck do they not add to the game's enjoyability.

I'm struggling to think of a single thing I like more in R2. Maybe there are some things, but it's never at the tip of my tongue. Maybe the fact that there's a slide?

--

Titan's being heroes and not customisable is fine. Wanna know a Titan's abilities by looking at it? Fine.

But it does nothing to the then present you with unwinnable battles because they could be a counter-pick. I fucking groan when I see a Ronin turn around the corner and I'm Northstar. What's even the point? I can't do shit.

Maybe I'll switch to Legion in response... and then an Ion turns 'round the corner. It's stupid. I don't want to win counter-pick fights, I want to feel like I have out-played someone. That became situational in this game, for it to even be an option.

I actually enjoy 2 more than 1, but I agree with a lot of this. They added things so there are now more things because they were criticized for having less things before. Turrets add nothing to the game that's enjoyable in any way. But hey, now there's more diversity and unlocks. Buy TF2 please.

I don't agree with the counterpick concept though. I'm not a Northstar player like you, so I can't comment on her match ups, but none of the others really feel that way. When I see an Ion as Legion I mostly just shrug. They can drag a fight out longer than others, but they're not especially troublesome. At gen6 I've encountered less than a handful of Ions who were truly capable of shutting me down.

Even the Ronin/Northstar match up doesn't really seem like a counterpick. Its just someone using a long range thing versus someone using a short range thing. If a sniper runs into someone with an SMG, they're almost assuredly dead. The Titan match up is the same, but the slower pace and higher TTK makes it seem more broken.

dumbnumb

Neo Member
This game is soooo good. I got the Battlefield/Titanfall bundle from the PSN Black Friday sale fully expecting to like Battlefield more, but this game completely took me by surprise. I'm really enjoying my time with it.

Izuna

Banned
Even the Ronin/Northstar match up doesn't really seem like a counterpick. Its just someone using a long range thing versus someone using a short range thing. If a sniper runs into someone with an SMG, they're almost assuredly dead. The Titan match up is the same, but the slower pace and higher TTK makes it seem more broken.

Let's see here.

Northstar's Tether Trap is made irrelevant due to Ronin's Phase Shift
Northstar's Cluster is made irrelevant due to Ronin's speed and Phase Shift
Northstar's Flight Core is made irrelevant due to Ronin's speed and Phase Shift

So what is Northstar left with? Range? Situational as fuck. If it's Homestead, maybe, but if you spot a Ronin at mid-range and it's just you two, he's just going to Phase Shift or Dash with his guard

So what does Northstar shut down from Ronin? Nothing.

I can't spec Northstar to deal with Ronin. It's impossible. Try playing LTS 1v1 as Northstar against a Ronin. There's dick you can do.

But that's the meta in this game. Counter-picks. Tone, Ion, Scorch, and to a lesser extent, Ronin, don't have a problem with Counter-picks... But Northstar does.

And even then, these Titans aren't balanced like they have different ways to win each fight, they're balanced like Overwatch characters... Where there are abilities are good for some enemy types and bad for others.

Respawn say it themselves. They may switch Titan depending on the map (because you don't wanna be this version of Legion on Complex, I tell you). Why can't I main one Titan for the map?

What does this do for the game's meta? Eventually, it means that Northstar just isn't worth it outside of LTS because once people learn how to manual eject or send their Ronin's in after her, it's just not a great idea anymore.

I don't wish to claim I know the overall meta... But their answer to an overpowered Legion was to make him relatively useless. Outside of Smart Core, he already can't fight Pilots well, now he's basically beaten by an Ion walking up towards him.

I think I'm going to just pick Ion for now since she's balanced, and that's a shame because I don't find Ion the most fun. Further balancing the choices we had for Titans would have been a much better idea.

And finally, look at how useless Northstar's kits are. I'd be surprised if Respawn find even 1% of Northstar players picking that new kit.

----

I'm Gen 4 in this game and I have one chance to get my brothers playing this (instead of Overwatch). Boy are they going to be confused why campers on rooftops for the first fifth of Attrition are playing this game's best strategy.

Wow, I knew interest in the second game was down from the first, but that's just ridiculous. I wonder how much Battlefield 1 affected that.
Titanfall 2 |OT2| Whatever the fuck that means

if it's not this i'm going to rage
I like this, but isn't there a policy against swearing in thread titles?
But that's the meta in this game. Counter-picks. Tone, Ion, Scorch, and to a lesser extent, Ronin, don't have a problem with Counter-picks... But Northstar does.
Ronin is countered by Scorch. Scorch is countered by Northstar and Tone. Tone is countered by Ronin, and to a lesser extent, Northstar and Legion. Legion is countered by Ion, and to a lesser extent, Ronin. Ion is countered by Ronin, and to a lesser extent, Scorch. Northstar is countered by Ronin, and sometimes Legion if they have a Smart Core.

Not every Titan has the same difficulty with things that counter them, but they all do have counters. Legion's the only one that doesn't really counter anything very well right now, and I actually think Legion needs a buff at this point. I'm pretty much never scared of a Legion anymore.

SwolBro

Banned
The Volt is still a crazy powerful gun. I tried the CAR after the patch and anyone saying that gun is better is mad. The "nerf" has made no noticeable difference that I can spot, close and long range it's still great and it's still all I use because it's so fun to play with, one of the most fun guns I've ever used in an FPS.

I agree that maybe they should balance PC and console separately, the games feel very different, console is much slower and a lot more roof camping (even though it happens on PC too it's not to the same level as on the PS4). On PC there is a ton of SMG players moving around as much as possible and a lot of Devotion's. Hemlock doesn't get much use from what I'm seeing.
What platform are you on normally? Hemlock is everywhere on console now. The only way you are outgunning a hemlock from distance with a Volt is if that player is complete ass or if you're amped.

The volt loses close range to CAR easily, it loses to hemlock/g2a at range easily, it loses to 201 from mid-far easily, what's really left for the gun? It was the funnest, most versatile gun in the game when in the hands of a skilled mobile player became a beast.

They go and axe that. For what fucking purpose? Everyone that was running the volt (including myself) switched back to the 201. The 201 is now the best overall weapon in the game, which is fine but it does slow you down. You can't be as fast and crazy on console with the 201 like you could with the volt because the 201 requires a lot more ADS.

They should have never touched this gun on console.

Izuna

Banned
Ronin is countered by Scorch. Scorch is countered by Northstar and Tone. Tone is countered by Ronin, and to a lesser extent, Northstar and Legion. Legion is countered by Ion, and to a lesser extent, Ronin. Ion is countered by Ronin, and to a lesser extent, Scorch. Northstar is countered by Ronin, and sometimes Legion if they have a Smart Core.

Not every Titan has the same difficulty with things that counter them, but they all do have counters. Legion's the only one that doesn't really counter anything very well right now, and I actually think Legion needs a buff at this point. I'm pretty much never scared of a Legion anymore.

I'm bored so I'll take the time to go over this (even though the original point I was making is still valid):

Scorch is countered by Northstar only at range. He has a way to destroy her with his flame shield + turbo boost, same thing vs. Tone.

Tone for certain isn't countered by Northstar. With no walls in the way, Tone will out DPS Northstar and find it relatively easily to out DPS if she closes in. It's like 5.5-4.5 to Tone. 6-4 if we expect Tone to ger her Salvo Core.

Legion at this point is countered by everyone haha, he wins no patch up without getting the jump on someone, only trades. Legion needs both his shotties to be decent now and the replenishing time is insane. Actually, that's one way to fix this character... make his cooldowns replenish faster.

I think Ion vs Scorch is 5-5 imo. Probably the most balanced fight in the game, and this is only due to the fact that Ion should be able to dash out the way of enough fire and build his Core faster.

E92 M3

I'm bored so I'll take the time to go over this (even though the original point I was making is still valid):

Scorch is countered by Northstar only at range. He has a way to destroy her with his flame shield + turbo boost, same thing vs. Tone.

Tone for certain isn't countered by Northstar. With no walls in the way, Tone will out DPS Northstar and find it relatively easily to out DPS if she closes in. It's like 5.5-4.5 to Tone. 6-4 if we expect Tone to ger her Salvo Core.

Legion at this point is countered by everyone haha, he wins no patch up without getting the jump on someone, only trades. Legion needs both his shotties to be decent now and the replenishing time is insane. Actually, that's one way to fix this character... make his cooldowns replenish faster.

I think Ion vs Scorch is 5-5 imo. Probably the most balanced fight in the game, and this is only due to the fact that Ion should be able to dash out the way of enough fire and build his Core faster.

I think you're severely underestimating legions. I would never face a legion directly as Tone. He eats shields and puts down DPS. Legion can be very deadly.

Izuna

Banned
I think you're severely underestimating legions. I would never face a legion directly as Tone. He eats shields and puts down DPS. Legion can be very deadly.

He does not eat Tone's shield, not in the slightest. Are you using the increased particle wall ability?

If you see a Legion... Dash back a couple times and keep shooting. If he activates Smart Core his DPS is MINIMAL and it takes like 3 seconds to get past Tone's shield. Even if he does win the fight, just dash into him if you see his shield up and use nuclear. He'd have to spec for dash (you should know if he has one or not) and he can't escape.

Only pre-patch Legion could fuck Tone up. It's why I switched to him. Now Tone fucks him up sideways. Not to mention that his DPS is lowered if there are bots around lmao.

Chris1

--

Pretty much hit the nail on the head. A problem with boosts/scorestreaks is that they are an always thing, you will always have them every game and it makes them worse. If say turret was a burn card, you'd eventually run out of them so you couldn't always use them. And they would have disappeared after you died aswell.

I feel like most of the new things they added are fine, it's what they changed that isn't good (compared to 1). Turrets and stuff wouldn't have been as bad if they were still burncards instead of "scorestreaks", the maps would have been better if they didn't change to 3 lane design, etc.

With the new flight speed especially, Northstar can always get away from a Scorch and a Tone. I can't imagine a situation where a Northstar couldn't run away, unless they get sandwiched between two Titans (but then it's a 2v1 scenario anyway).

...so use walls? That, or poke around corners. It's easy to wreck a Tone if you just poke in and out of behind cover, especially with Northstar due to the charged shot. I never have trouble taking out Tones with Northstar. If they stay still, poke them using flight + peeking. If they move, use Tether + Cluster Missile and back up a bit.

Legion can sorta wreck a Northstar with Smart Core, but the only reason I point that out is that Smart Core eliminates Northstar's advantages more than other Titans.

Scorch has a solid defensive option against Ion's kit, so Ion can't do much at range against Scorch (of course, Scorch can't do much against Ion at that range either). At close range, Scorch just wrecks Ion. The maps are closed enough that at close range, Scorch can usually prevent Ion from leaving without taking at least a bar of damage, while Scorch takes none by using Flame Shield.

Gator86

Tone has higher dps, both burst and sustained, than Legion. If that Legion wins, they outplayed that Tone thoroughly or survived purely because of his extra bar of health. Tone has to stand directly in Legion's like of fire for an extended time whereas Tone only needs to peek, to say nothing of Tone's vastly superior mobility.

Haven't played a ton post-patch, but before, Tone was the main titan I worried about fighting as Legion. As Cobalt said, Legion is the closest to a generic titan now. He doesn't really excel in any particular match-up. Given that he's Bastion, it's not surprising they're having trouble figuring out what to do with him. Too much damage, and newbies are fucking helpless. Too little, and he's going to be a low tier choice when savvy players square off.

RedFury

I'm ok with Volts fire rate and damage but projectile speed needs to be increased. Decreased damage is one thing but slow projectiles plus decrease in damage makes the consistency of the weapon poor in comparison to everything else in class.

E92 M3

He does not eat Tone's shield, not in the slightest. Are you using the increased particle wall ability?

If you see a Legion... Dash back a couple times and keep shooting. If he activates Smart Core his DPS is MINIMAL and it takes like 3 seconds to get past Tone's shield. Even if he does win the fight, just dash into him if you see his shield up and use nuclear. He'd have to spec for dash (you should know if he has one or not) and he can't escape.

Only pre-patch Legion could fuck Tone up. It's why I switched to him. Now Tone fucks him up sideways. Not to mention that his DPS is lowered if there are bots around lmao.

No I use extra rockets - he does wreck the standard shield. Also, I don't use nuclear and tend to keep my titan for the whole match. Really focus on survivability and positioning. One misstep and Legion can easily take a bar of health off.

Tone has higher dps, both burst and sustained, than Legion. If that Legion wins, they outplayed that Tone thoroughly or survived purely because of his extra bar of health. Tone has to stand directly in Legion's like of fire for an extended time whereas Tone only needs to peek, to say nothing of Tone's vastly superior mobility.

Haven't played a ton post-patch, but before, Tone was the main titan I worried about fighting as Legion. As Cobalt said, Legion is the closest to a generic titan now. He doesn't really excel in any particular match-up. Given that he's Bastion, it's not surprising they're having trouble figuring out what to do with him. Too much damage, and newbies are fucking helpless. Too little, and he's going to be a low tier choice when savvy players square off.

I mean it's not hard to kill Legions, but he is capable of a lot of damage. Especially with double-shotgun shot. In the heat of battle vs multiple Titan legion can be annoying. Especially as a frontline tank with the shield.

Gator86

No I use extra rockets - he does wreck the standard shield. Also, I don't use nuclear and tend to keep my titan for the whole match. Really focus on survivability and positioning. One misstep and Legion can easily take a bar of health off.

I mean it's not hard to kill Legions, but he is capable of a lot of damage. Especially with double-shotgun shot. In the heat of battle vs multiple Titan legion can be annoying. Especially as a frontline tank with the shield.

As with Scorch, to some extent, he's most fearsome only when you let the slowest titan in the game out-position you. If he wasn't a beast in that one specific context, why would he even exist? Maybe I'm on the buff Legion train too.

E92 M3

As with Scorch, to some extent, he's most fearsome only when you let the slowest titan in the game out-position you. If he wasn't a beast in that one specific context, why would he even exist? Maybe I'm on the buff Legion train too.

Actually, long range mode is pretty decent too. I'm all for buffs, but just saying Legion isn't garbage now - especially in the right hands.

Gator86

Actually, long range mode is pretty decent too. I'm all for buffs, but just saying Legion isn't garbage now - especially in the right hands.

No, not at all. He's a solid titan mostly. I'm gen10 with Legion now and regularly wipe the floor with the other team in titan play, but his weaknesses are both evident and glaring, and his strengths aren't quite powerful enough to offset that versus people who are actually quite good. A small damage buff wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for him.

There's a reason people only use one titan kit with Scorch.

I wish their kit sets were more exciting.

Almost every perk and kit set in the game has one, maybe two, good options and the rest are total fucking wretched shit. If you can't put out compelling options, just go all the way and make then moba heroes. That would be better for balance than what is currently there. Then they could just balance Scorch around always having the shield buff.

UncleMeat

Bought the game on black friday and beat the campaign for a third time last night. Went home at lunch and got as many games in as I could. This game is so much fun even when I play solo which is rare for me with online mp. The stupid release date for this game just astounds me more and more every time I think about it.

Zemm

What platform are you on normally? Hemlock is everywhere on console now. The only way you are outgunning a hemlock from distance with a Volt is if that player is complete ass or if you're amped.

The volt loses close range to CAR easily, it loses to hemlock/g2a at range easily, it loses to 201 from mid-far easily, what's really left for the gun? It was the funnest, most versatile gun in the game when in the hands of a skilled mobile player became a beast.

They go and axe that. For what fucking purpose? Everyone that was running the volt (including myself) switched back to the 201. The 201 is now the best overall weapon in the game, which is fine but it does slow you down. You can't be as fast and crazy on console with the 201 like you could with the volt because the 201 requires a lot more ADS.

They should have never touched this gun on console.

I'm on PC. I tried the CAR for 2-3 hours on patch day because I assumed the Volt would be worse, but as soon as I switched back it was night and day. I feel like the Volt is still the best gun if you move around a lot, the Alternator is still a good alternative, CAR would be my 3rd choice SMG.

Izuna

Banned
Welp, all my brothers came out of that to say

"worse than Titanfall 1, is a bit shit"

;( I tried

Didn't help that it matchmade us with a 6 stack of fucking killers.

Ishmae1

Northstar is an enigma to me based on the maps and the game modes (BH and Attrition) that most play. She's only got a few good maps, and really only then if you commit to a lurking play style and can keep distance from opponent titans and pilots. If you're out early / first, you can use the cluster to mop up on BH, yes, but Scorch can do that more efficiently for the effort, and have more options against enemy response.

The trap requires a ton of precognition because you can't chuck it at decent range and it doesn't stick to walls / ceilings (at least I've never seen that happen) to surprise enemies with.

Her good damage (and having any decent chance to actually hit) comes from pre-winding a shot during which time you can't actually see your target (especially if facing Ion / Tone / Legion) as you're dead if you're taking their DPS while charging your single "hope it hits" shot.

Chucking traps while flying could be good for the extended range, but you get only one or two, and you can't quick-cancel flight, so no pop and trap strategies can be developed.

Honestly, I'm really surprised there isn't an EMP kit for traps, which gives you arc grenade effect + ronin slow on any titan that is tethered by one, essentially shutting it down to (hopefully) get your one shot in. Isn't that the point? Trap and shoot? What about a cloaking kit vs. other titans? Of all the titans, she'd be the one to benefit from that.

It also feels as if her shots hit slower (i.e. have more travel time) than Tone's 40. Shouldn't hers be the fastest, most instantaneous hits in the game aside from Ion's laser?

In the end, her DPS just doesn't justify her downsides. If she was the queen of damage, where two L3 crits doomed any titan, then I'd say she's more justified, but as-is? I have a hard time picking her, although I WANT to like her and play her more. It just feels as if time with her is frustrating more than enjoyable, as the patience game isn't really emphasized in TF2, again, in the more popular modes of play.

If I was rebalancing her, I'd emphasize debuffing and information, and likely over-reward setup and patience. For example, I'd give her traps radar capabilities (not sonar) by default, have options to what they do (explode and burn, tether with effect, walking, etc.), and give her bonuses based on having them active, so tether + L3 aim = OMGWTFBBQ damage levels.

KodaRuss

Can we let it go?

These posts about moving to community or not just seem petty at this point.

This happens with every active OT that goes to community. Tons of posts regarding that they wish it was still on gaming. I still find it hard to believe that so few users spend time on the community forums.

57 people in CTF :( They need to consolidate the servers for EU

Edit Also I was geometrid into a wall by a stalker ship just as my titan landed, couldn't move, do damage with my gun and my shield did nothing :D

Discobird

This is a matter of personal preference and platform obviously, but here are the top three things I like most about R2 vs R1:

• Removing the Smart Pistol as a regular weapon: Honestly, this one change has had a bigger impact on my enjoyment of R2 than anything else. In R1 the Smart Pistol was oppressive in the hands of a good parkourer and was simply no fun to play with or against. Supposedly it wasn't as bad on console, but on PC it was so strong I felt compelled to use the EVA-8 to have better-than-even odds against good Smart Pistol users in a duel. So glad it's a boost with limited ammo now.
  • Better hipfire accuracy: In R1 if you wanted to shoot accurately on the move your only options were the Smart Pistol, the EVA-8, the CAR with Counterweight (which precluded other attachments) and maybe the Wingman. That was it. I love that R2 gives us a plethora of options for running and gunning--in that respect (though not necessarily in others) R2 feels more like how Titanfall was meant to be played.
  • Replacing burn cards with boosts: As much fun as it was to spawn an Atlas with chaingun and Map Hack at the start of a match and go 25-0, I can't say the burn card system was particularly healthy. "Imbalanced" is not the right word for it since everyone had access to burn cards, but it added some unneeded volatility to games. The boost system is more predictable and feels fairer.

There are other improvements--Phase Shift is a blast, giving pilots infinite reserve ammo is a smart design choice, sliding feels great--but these are the main ones in my eyes. I think I speak for many when I say R2 with R1's maps would be heavenly.

Got matched up against a few people that were in groups. Really, really hard to carry my team when my ping is 200ms+! Also, why do groups always play using Sonar Blade, and Sentry?

It's like super maximum cheese every fucking time and usually, they camp in one area of the map covering all sides. :}

I had the roughest game i´ve remember this morning, the other team played perfect at no moment did the have les than three titans in play, sentries covering the spawn points of npcs, i didn´t quit the game, but i should have done it, they distroyed us, going solo against a group is always rough but this was another level

Zemm

Got matched up against a few people that were in groups. Really, really hard to carry my team when my ping is 200ms+! Also, why do groups always play using Sonar Blade, and Sentry?

It's like super maximum cheese every fucking time and usually, they camp in one area of the map covering all sides. :}

Got matched up against a full clan like this yesterday but they were pretty terrible. They also went for a full team of Tone's which was ridiculous with all the sonar's going off.

Sorry if this has already been asked but is there a problem with the titan store at the minute?

Although I'm in London (and playing on London servers) it says I can buy a Scorch prime for $1, but when I try to confirm it, it doesn't do anything. Is this happening to anyone else?

Izuna

Banned
Sorry if this has already been asked but is there a problem with the titan store at the minute?

Although I'm in London (and playing on London servers) it says I can buy a Scorch prime for $1, but when I try to confirm it, it doesn't do anything. Is this happening to anyone else?

yup, same thing for me

Got matched up against a full clan like this yesterday but they were pretty terrible. They also went for a full team of Tone's which was ridiculous with all the sonar's going off.

i felt it was the first time i felt helpless, usually you get a couple of good players on the team and can try to fight back, but this morning they mopped the floor with us, it was really amazing, there were a couple of guys with ronins that were a pain and a couple of tones to control the map.
I don´t mind loosing if i have a good time, but this was something else, i kept playing and didn´t found them again, i think i would have quited if i had them in the opposing team again

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i spent almost a full match last night getting so frustrated with hit registration. while i'd clearly have a target in my sights and i'd be firing more than enough to kill the enemy, i had several instances where not a single bit of damage from my g2 was dealt. i finally slowed down to think about it, something that isnt encouraged by this game, and i noticed my scope was old fashioned iron sights. great, somehow my custom pilot had lost my fancy scope or worse, he reverted back to default without all my leveling. turns out it was neither of those. in the kill feed, after finally getting a kill, i noticed somehow i was using a custom load out exactly like the one i always use EXCEPT instead of the g2, it was the car. no wonder i couldnt kill shit --- not only was the range a bit long for that gun but i was single firing it! lol, i'm an idiot.

Auctopus

To anyone suffering from the "Connection Server Timeout" issue, I just got a full refund from Respawn customer support after not being able to finish more than one multiplayer match a day for over a week.

Top Bottom