• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Discobird

This is the biggest gripe I have with R2... the fact that it's compared to CoD at all shows that it went in the wrong direction.

To be fair the first game was compared to CoD all the time too ("CoD with mechs"). There were more CoD comparisons thrown around then than now because Titanfall was a new thing and people didn't know how else to describe it. What do you think is more CoD-like in the second game than the first?

The only thing that can save you from an accurate Ion is stim eject strafe so you get out of his range asap, Phase Shift doesn't work since you are in the air for so long and two Phase Shifts can get you only so much time.

You don't need to Phase Shift right away though, hold your Phase Shift until near the end of the ascent when you start to slow down and then use it twice in a row. It takes luck to laser an ejecting pilot on the ascent and most Ions will wait until you're at or near the apex of your ejection before shooting, in my experience. You can still get unlucky but it's rare.

I'm speaking from a PC perspective BTW so I have no idea if aim assist affects this on console.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Man it's nice to see around 13K online on PC in the middle of the day. Hope a lot of them end up buying it.

There's 30K on PS4 already. But even without the sale, there's usually 25-27K every weekend. I gather, that 30K will rise even more as the day goes on. :)

I hope one day Respawn or EA will say something positive about TF2's sales or player population and we can all move past it. Then again, pretty sure some people will still rag on the game for no reason. It's like there's nothing else to hate about it, so the sales are the only thing left to criticize. I'm saying this since some of the TF2 threads are just littered with toxicity with some people kinda reveling that it's not selling as well as it should, etc.

jorgejjvr

Amazon has no deal? PSN is at $60?

How are you liking it so far? We tore shit up in BO3 and Overwatch. Haha! :D
I freaking love it.

I just want a good deal to jump in

Ready to go ham on another fps xD

Ps: full price in psn, and Amazon does not have it, only through third parties

Ion's so good at killing pilots. I don't think I could pull things like this off anywhere near as reliably with any other Titan.

uEMMKm8.gif

SwolBro

Banned
These Gamesager videos are a summary of why R1 was a better game. Pilots vs. Pilots is so boring...

This is him playing R1 btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb60Vlqozk

He literally camps on the rooftop of Angel City during CTF...
it's unfair to show his R1 videos. He was never "good" at the first game because he stopped playing early on before people really got a hang of the game. People got insanely insanely good.

In saying that .... watching some of my old R1 videos it actually dawned on me that R2 might be the faster game.

The Hemlock is the cheapest gun in the game and they nerfed the Volt, feelsbadman.
Yeah, it really does.

Cake Boss

Banned
Urrrghhh they fucked with the spawning man, it feels like COD where everyone just spawns like on a teammate and the action is all in one place of the map during the whole match.

Izuna

Banned
it's unfair to show his R1 videos. He was never "good" at the first game because he stopped playing early on before people really got a hang of the game. People got insanely insanely good.

In saying that .... watching some of my old R1 videos it actually dawned on me that R2 might be the faster game.

It doesn't matter how good he is or isn't. He had fun sitting on top of a rooftop during a CTF match (he stayed there the whole match). His latest R2 video, while he moves about, it not Titanfall at all. I think this guy doesn't even care for Titan combat.

It's straight up a version of CoD without any real competition for him. It's sad to see TItanfall presented this way. His gameplay "is" CoD, essentially.

~~

R2 isn't the faster game. They're similar when the maps the same. It might be the FoV you're used to in R2 that causes the difference.

Attrition and Bounty Hunt encourages players to sit ground and either fight long-range or stay in a "middle" area.

I'm still waiting for Didact's video. I hope he makes this game look awesome.

Finally got Angel City while playing BH last night! Playing it right after a couple R2 maps made me realize again how badly I want more R1 maps back...
Ronin is the best pilot killer though.
Truth. Getting First to Fall with Ronin is amazing because you're pretty much guaranteed to get several pilot kills.
Ehhhh, sorry if old, but there is a promotion with Doritos/Dew and it looks like it's USA/Canada/UK. Info showed up on my social network.

Thing is, codes are active and may be used as many times as you want. One code grants XP x2, Coliseum Ticket and one of three cosmetics. There is a lot of codes for the UK promo.
Thanks for this, I finally got the execution.

Question: is random stuttering still an issue people are getting? I hope I'm not the only one and Respawn is working on it. I still play games with 130+ FPS on near max settings, and the game will play smooth as hell. Then BAM. For no reason it just stalls for half-a-second. Last night I played a match and two encounters in a row with enemy pilots, right as I pull the trigger, I got the stutter. Died both times. It has been plaguing me since Day 1 of this game and it is hard not to snap my keyboard when it happens.

Izuna

Banned
Question: is random stuttering still an issue people are getting? I hope I'm not the only one and Respawn is working on it. I still play games with 130+ FPS on near max settings, and the game will play smooth as hell. Then BAM. For no reason it just stalls for half-a-second. Last night I played a match and two encounters in a row with enemy pilots, right as I pull the trigger, I got the stutter. Died both times. It has been plaguing me since Day 1 of this game and it is hard not to snap my keyboard when it happens.

Honestly... I feel like lag manifests in a way that appears like stuttering.

E92 M3

These Gamesager videos are a summary of why R1 was a better game. Pilots vs. Pilots is so boring...

This is him playing R1 btw: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebb60Vlqozk

He literally camps on the rooftop of Angel City during CTF...

I actually like Titanfall 2 better than the first one - minus some of the campy stuff.

Yeah, it really does.

Hopefully, they change it a tad; the Hemlock really tests my patience with a single burst to the chest (none amped somehow).

Holy hell 50k on Xbox and 32k online on PS4.

Yeah, it's pretty sweet!

Calderc

It doesn't matter how good he is or isn't. He had fun sitting on top of a rooftop during a CTF match (he stayed there the whole match). His latest R2 video, while he moves about, it not Titanfall at all. I think this guy doesn't even care for Titan combat.

It's straight up a version of CoD without any real competition for him. It's sad to see TItanfall presented this way. His gameplay "is" CoD, essentially.

~~

R2 isn't the faster game. They're similar when the maps the same. It might be the FoV you're used to in R2 that causes the difference.

Attrition and Bounty Hunt encourages players to sit ground and either fight long-range or stay in a "middle" area.

Legit don't get what you're saying. You show a clip of him on a rooftop to show how TF1 was better and unlike COD, yet videos of him running and hopping about the map is less fun and more COD-like? Is that right?

Ronin is the best pilot killer though.

I don't think Ronin's that great.

He can't goose effectively, he can't kill pilots on higher ground, he has low health so a pilot can strip him pretty quickly.

Having up to three dashes is very helpful if you want to get up close and that can allow you to take advantage of bad players but I feel that good players taking advantage of Ronin's weaknesses tend to run circles around him.

KodaRuss

He can't goose effectively, he can't kill pilots on higher ground, he has low health so a pilot can strip him pretty quickly.

Having up to three dashes is very helpful if you want to get up close and that can allow you to take advantage of bad players but I feel that good players taking advantage of Ronin's weaknesses tend to run circles around him.

There are times when you can wreck as Ronin but sometimes you are just screwed. Just too small of a health bar at times.

Izuna

Banned
Legit don't get what you're saying. You show a clip of him on a rooftop to show how TF1 was better and unlike COD, yet videos of him running and hopping about the map is less fun and more COD-like? Is that right?

Those were two separate points.

But what I'm saying is, someone who played R1 like he did there is the sort of player that R2 geared towards.

"I don't care about my Titan, in fact, I'm going to blow it up." That's something he said in that video. I don't dislike Gamersager himself in any way, but none of the gameplay is fun to watch and he's one of the best at it.

Most of the change is due to the maps, and while R2 has Angel City in rotation now, it still has all the others.

Personally, it's hard to describe R2 in anyway, but CoD with Mechs or with more emphasis on movement. I've posted before about how it's not compared to Quake 3, UT2k3 or Mechwarrior (etc.) anymore. Those playstyles don't cut it even in the Attrition modes.

For the most part, it takes liking the Pilots vs. Pilots mode to say this game is better than the original. Going back and reading the impressions of Pilots Only when it hit in R1 is a little surreal.

Dubz

Loving Angel City. Quick question about the Gaming Community sub section of NeoGaf. When and how is it decided that a games OT goes to the Cimmunity section?

Izuna

Banned

He is by far the best Pilot killer. He can't Goose, but you don't really need to when people eject into open space. His melee has much better range and the shotty is super easy to get kills with. I always have a much higher Pilot kill score when I use Ronin.

Ronin just has really bad matchups and only ever goes 5-5, and at worse goes 4-6 (vs. Scorch)

Loving Angel City. Quick question about the Gaming Community sub section of NeoGaf. When and how is it decided that a games OT goes to the Cimmunity section?

Probably due to the lack of diversity of posters.

Look at how dead the trial thread was. Not much discussion is happening with regard to the campaign either.

E92 M3

But what I'm saying is, someone who played R1 like he did there is the sort of player that R2 geared towards.

"I don't care about my Titan, in fact, I'm going to blow it up." That's something he said in that video. I don't dislike Gamersager himself in any way, but none of the gameplay is fun to watch and he's one of the best at it.

Most of the change is due to the maps, and while R2 has Angel City in rotation now, it still has all the others.

Personally, it's hard to describe R2 in anyway, but CoD with Mechs or with more emphasis on movement. I've posted before about how it's not compared to Quake 3, UT2k3 or Mechwarrior (etc.) anymore. Those playstyles don't cut it even in the Attrition modes.

For the most part, it takes liking the Pilots vs. Pilots mode to say this game is better than the original. Going back and reading the impressions of Pilots Only when it hit in R1 is a little surreal.

It does not feel like anything COD. Too much hyperbole in your statement. The game is amazing, but some campy options just need to be neutered a bit. Titan combat is way more fun and I am even more successful with Tone or Ronin than in the original game.

Don't care about PVP mode.

Maps could use some work, though. Weapons like the Hemlock and G2 promote camping and that's what ultimately slows down the game. The Hemlock can stop anyone in their tracks with one burst.

He is by far the best Pilot killer. He can't Goose, but you don't really need to when people eject into open space. His melee has much better range and the shotty is super easy to get kills with. I always have a much higher Pilot kill score when I use Ronin.

Ronin just has really bad matchups and only ever goes 5-5, and at worse goes 4-6 (vs. Scorch)

I still disagree. On most maps there are spots where Ronin can't touch you.

I probably get the most pilot kills with Ronin too but most of them are on the floor and doing stupid stuff like using an MGL while back peddling. However whenever I face Ronin as a pilot, I find him one of the easier Titan's to take down.

Take complex for instance, in the upper mid area you can get higher than Ronin can even deal damage to you realiably. Free kill on Ronin or Scorch there, on Boomtown you can use the central rooftop, it's outside of Ronin's range. On Homefront you can use almost any of the Rooftops, since again, they're outside of Ronin's range. The same is true on Angel City, heck even forward base Kodai, if you're on the rooftop Ronin has to run all the way around to even try and kill you, and you only need to jump down a ventilation shaft to get away from him.

It's a huge advantage to be able to fire at a Titan and not have to worry about him turning round and instant-killing me (Tone, Ion, Northstar) and there are just too many ways to manipulate his ranged weaknesses to create scenarios where Ronin literally can't kill you, regardless of how good the pilot is. Obviously the majority of pilots aren't doing that (because they're still inexperienced), but that doesn't change his peak efficacy.

Calderc

Get you now.

Don't agree though. 99% of the things i do in this you simply can't do in COD. And i've never once touched PvP, and I like this more than TF1.

Izuna

Banned

But in reality, the vast majority of Pilots you find (like in that clip you showed) aren't in those areas where Ronin can't get them. It's not just about how good the weapon/melee is, but how fast Ronin is.

To use Bounty Hunt as an example, he can Arc Wave into many Bank spots or straight up shoot into others. Forwardbase Kodai is a bad example because the top part has limited visibility anyway. Ronin's going to Phase Shift whenever an Archer is locked on or whenever there are too many Pilots shooting at him. Legion without Smart Core has to be the worst Pilot Killer and it's because he has nothing of what Ronin excels at (again, minus Goose).

Perhaps when players get much better at the game, Tone and Northstar will remain as the best Pilots killers specifically because they can Goose with ease AND shoot into almost every Bank in the game. For Attrition or Hardpoint, Ronin's ability to get from A to B is what causes him to get the most Pilot kills.

Izuna

Banned
Respawn, could you please buff Legion? Back to launch numbers? Thanks

Yeah, he really needs a buff. His damage nerf + OverCore nerf means that his Smart Core is for Pilots only, and he gets it harder (especially since minion kills don't build the core as much).

I feel like Ion shouldn't be able to collect the Shotty shots, and Long-range ammo deletes WAY too fast.

It's going to be super hard to balance such a character, so he's either OP or super weak. I prefer him as super weak though...

It does not feel like anything COD. Too much hyperbole in your statement. The game is amazing, but some campy options just need to be neutered a bit. Titan combat is way more fun and I am even more successful with Tone or Ronin than in the original game.

Don't care about PVP mode.

Maps could use some work, though. Weapons like the Hemlock and G2 promote camping and that's what ultimately slows down the game. The Hemlock can stop anyone in their tracks with one burst.

Yeah, sadly a lot of what I dislike is very minor with the exception of the maps.

Dubz

Respawn, could you please buff Legion? Back to launch numbers? Thanks
I feel like everything should be buffed back to launch. All the skills they nerfed are pretty much useless now. Phase Shift s next for the nerf bat IMO. It's the only decent skill now. Just let all the skills and weapons be OP like in MW2.

I definitely think Legion's almost in a good spot right now. A slight buff to either Gun Shield or to switching modes would probably make him good, but not broken. My only complaint with balancing right now is that Holo Pilot still feels a bit useless; it needs something to make it more generally applicable (maybe make it fire shots and ping the enemy radar?). I've only managed to make it work this weekend because all the new players don't know how to deal with it.
I feel like everything should be buffed back to launch. All the skills they nerfed are pretty much useless now. Phase Shaft is next for the nerf nat IMO. It's the only decent skill now. Just let all the skills and weapons be OP like in MW2.
And make the game like CoD, where you die if you get sneezed on from anything? No thanks.

Animator

I feel like everything should be buffed back to launch. All the skills they nerfed are pretty much useless now. Phase Shift s next for the nerf bat IMO. It's the only decent skill now. Just let all the skills and weapons be OP like in MW2.

No thanks. Game is at a great place right now.

ironcreed

Banned
Screw it. I figured that I might as well go ahead and just pick this up in addition to BF1 while it is $36. After all, I do like it and planned on getting it anyway, so it would be stupid for me to let it go back up in price and then have to wait for a deal again. Besides, I already started getting invested in progression and really want to play the campaign as well.

Izuna

Banned
Screw it. I figured that I might as well go ahead and just pick this up in addition to BF1 while it is $36. After all, I do like it and planned on getting it anyway, so it would be stupid for me to let it go back up in price and then have to wait for a deal again. Besides, I already started getting invested in progression and really want to play the campaign as well.

Yay!

Join TitanGAF <3

Izuna

Banned

czqd2MW.gif

nah

jeffc919

Both are great games and different enough that having both will keep you from getting burned out and add longevity to them.

SwolBro

Banned

~~

What are you talking about. What's your "idea" of what titanfall gameplay is supposed to look like? There will always be moments where you're on a rooftop. It's part of a strategy to play a mid position in CTF.

Titan combat was important in CTF and it consisted of people controlling the map. But the initial build time and build times afterwards were lengthened. Gettign your titan took longer and the strategy was mainly to control the play with your titans once you did get them. You push too much and you'll get ripped apart.

Attrition in R1 was garbage. Pure garbage. No one that played it consistently was any good at the game. Roaming a map with a titan and farming bots wasn't very skillful so i'm not sure what you're going on about

Top Bottom