• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

RedFury

Thankfully I've never had a problem vs Hemlock on PS4. I run into campers often (they're in every MP game ever) but I play aggressive and usually adjust and flank.

I'm Gen 4 and wouldn't even known that the Hemlock was "OP" if I didn't read it on here...
Lol yeah I still use Stim+Volt combo and just bouncing off the walls. People have a hard time tracking to return fire. It's hilarious how bad most A wall abusers are. You can see the bright orange flare and if you walk in front of it your asking to die. I simply flank a side or jump from above with stim. I makes me chuckle every time I fly in from out of no where from above as they try to shoot through the shield ( when they should back up and return fire, but they decide they NEED to fire through the wall) and make for an easy kill. Turrets are just as bad you can hear their distinct sound cues and see their lasers. Red:enemy, Blue:team. Go around and kick it or a single smoke or flame star does the trick. Cloak you can walk right up to it in front and kick it.

jeffc919

I hope they leave Hemlock alone. I think some people just want the only effective way to play this game to be bouncing off the walls and bunny hopping literally 100% of the time and rarely if ever ADSing. I don't have a problem with people playing that way, and I acknowledge that the very best players in the game probably do play like that (with many, many more being better off taking it down a notch because they aren't skilled enough to pull it off). But I think the game is better with a number of different ways to play effectively, including a slightly more grounded approach. There are guns in the game that promote mobility, namely the SMGs with their very effective hip fire. I don't think every gun in the game has to promote mobility though. There are already lots of things in the game that discourage camping, more so than TF1. To name a few....
- orange glow
- no silencers
- kill cam

With Hemlock in Attrition I tend to try to get a kill, change location, get a kill, change location, and so on, and try to choose positions that don't leave me fully exposed. I use the movement system to get to places faster, pursue escaping enemies, escape when hurt or disadvantaged, or to make myself a harder target when overexposed. But I tend not to use the movement system just for the sake of using it or to hunt ad hoc for enemies. Not claiming to be an elite player or anything but I feel this is a legitimate way to play the game and it shouldn't be overtly discouraged by nerfing ARs that reward taking a moment to ADS, especially for mid-long range encounters.

I think if they decide to look at something maybe amped weapon and walls is a better place to start. It makes the hemlock much more annoying. I like that guns like hemlock,g2 and devo all encourage a different playstyle and keep encounters varied. Would be boring if it was all smgs all the time
Again, it seems like most of these complaints are coming from PvP and i personally think that mode would be much better off with all boosts disabled

Discobird

So is Hemlock like M16 lol

As for cloak, does it not counter stuff like Sonar, Turrets, and Map Hack? It should

It should be 100% invisible to Titans and should allow users to discreetly rodeo (but there is already a feature for this I think?)

So they nerfed the Volt, is it worth using?

Because all I run is CAR, it just seems too perfect.

Sometimes I use the default AR for bigger maps and roof top shooting. I also use the holo shield in those instances.

I dont bother with shotguns because it feels as if the melee range is so big that if you miss a shot, you are going to be instal-killed by it.

I want to use LMGs more, which one is the best?

Also, some of the pistols are incredibly strong. I love finishing enemies off with pistols.

AND WHERE ARE THE CHALLENGES. I cant seem to find the list

I'm on PC so take the comments about weapon balance with a grain of salt if you're on console:

--Cloak gets revealed by sonar and map hack but I agree it shouldn't given its current weakness. I don't know about turrets, someone who uses cloak more could respond on that. Low Profile is the kit that lets you rodeo enemy Titans with less warning.

--The Volt nerf is barley perceptible and it's still very very good. On PC I would put the EVA-8, Volt, CAR and Devotion in the top tier of weapons. The Alternator is just barely below that group and would be top tier if the EVA-8 wasn't so strong.

--Both shotguns are usable way beyond melee range, I wouldn't worry about getting meleed. Experiment with the ranges and you might be surprised how far you can kill people with them. EVA-8 is the best gun on the PC IMO except for certain maps (Crash Site, Homestead, maybe Complex).

--Devotion is the best LMG by a mile.

--On PC you can press ESC during a match to see challenges. There are three per round but they're very straightforward and you will achieve them naturally if you're trying to play the objective.

RedFury

I hope they leave Hemlock alone. I think some people just want the only effective way to play this game to be bouncing off the walls and bunny hopping literally 100% of the time and rarely if ever ADSing. I don't have a problem with people playing that way, and I acknowledge that the very best players in the game probably do play like that (with many, many more being better off taking it down a notch because they aren't skilled enough to pull it off). But I think the game is better with a number of different ways to play effectively, including a slightly more grounded approach. There are guns in the game that promote mobility, namely the SMGs with their very effective hip fire. I don't think every gun in the game has to promote mobility though. There are already lots of things in the game that discourage camping, more so than TF1:
- orange glow
- no silencers
- kill cam

With Hemlock in Attrition I tend to try to get a kill, change location, get a kill, change location, and so on, and try to choose positions that don't leave me fully exposed. I use the movement system to get to places faster, pursue escaping enemies, escape when hurt or disadvantaged, or to make myself a harder target when overexposed. But I tend not to use the movement system just for the sake of using it or to hunt ad hoc for enemies. Not claiming to be an elite player or anything but I feel this is a legitimate way to play the game and it shouldn't be overtly discouraged by nerfing ARs that reward taking a moment to ADS, especially for mid-long range encounters.
I agree with this my only issue being that Hemlock power should be switched with that of the double take. Double take requires 2 shots to kill and slower rate of fire and Hemlock requires only 1 burst and fires faster. I truly agree with your point and feel this niche has its place but feel it's in the wrong category and should fit in line with the rest of the assault rifles namely the G2. The Sniper rifles need some love and a Double take at the level of Hemlock makes the most sense to me and a fix for the Hemlock to me would be 1 full 3 round burst and a single bullet from the next burst OR a single headshot from a full burst would put it in line with the rest.
Sniper rifles in general need some love better sight pictures, low power optics...something. I'm disappointed not all weapons can have the smg dot sight (the circular blue one). The r201 and spitfire have it in the story mode but it's not available in MP, that's lame. Please allow more customization option for attachments.

jeffc919

So they nerfed the Volt, is it worth using?

Because all I run is CAR, it just seems too perfect.

Sometimes I use the default AR for bigger maps and roof top shooting. I also use the holo shield in those instances.

I watched the FrothyOmen video for the CAR the other day and he makes a pretty good point that the CAR is better than the carbine in all situations, even longer ranges where it takes more bullets to kill. I think it comes down to it being much more accurate so your effective time to kill is still better. So far I've only used the CAR just recently when Complex comes up so I can't really say how well I do with it at range.

HelloMeow

No you aren't, you just need to use the movement system to keep your speed

GrossFastAmericancrayfish-size_restricted.gif

https://gfycat.com/GrossFastAmericancrayfish

Movement in TF1 is snappier though.

^ THanks

I watched the FrothyOmen video for the CAR the other day and he makes a pretty good point that the CAR is better than the carbine in all situations, even longer ranges where it takes more bullets to kill. I think it comes down to it being much more accurate so your effective time to kill is still better. So far I've only used the CAR just recently when Complex comes up so I can't really say how well I do with it at range.

Yeah, Im able to use the CAR like an AR. But unlike games like COD where they have incredible range, I can easily fail to finish a kill if the enemy is smart enough to run away. And they have a lot of time to do that.

Im in the habit of ADS'ing with AR's but I think they aren't too bad with hip fire. There are places where rooftop shooting is viable with the AR. And I honestly dont mind that it's a thing in this game.

I mean, Angel City is rife with rooftops, but allows great escape for wall runners. Sadly, that was the problem with maps like Homestead and even Boomtown. It favours the rooftops too much.

Oh, and I have no issue with the orange glows of enemies. I dont know why people want it removed. There are some dark areas in the game where it feels necessary to see that glow, and I think it counters camping far more than it promotes it.

Gator86

I hope they leave Hemlock alone. I think some people just want the only effective way to play this game to be bouncing off the walls and bunny hopping literally 100% of the time and rarely if ever ADSing. I don't have a problem with people playing that way, and I acknowledge that the very best players in the game probably do play like that (with many, many more being better off taking it down a notch because they aren't skilled enough to pull it off). But I think the game is better with a number of different ways to play effectively, including a slightly more grounded approach. There are guns in the game that promote mobility, namely the SMGs with their very effective hip fire. I don't think every gun in the game has to promote mobility though. There are already lots of things in the game that discourage camping, more so than TF1. To name a few....
- orange glow
- no silencers
- kill cam

Great post. I feel the same way. If you're flying across the map out in the open or just bunny-hopping through a field, you're choosing to expose yourself to fire. If they nerfed the Hemlok, people would just move to the R201, G2, or Flatline and people who be salty that those prevent them from running around and bouncing off everything trying to get the drop on more ground-bound players.

E92 M3

I played a SHIT TON of TF1 and prefer the movement in this game. The slide is just so damn good. Sliding and shooting never gets old.

--

One of my favorite shooters was MW2 - I'd love for another game with that type of balancing (make everything crazy lol).

I have fun in chaos. Right now, Titanfall is essentially controlled chaos and it's fucking good. PVP bores me to no end.

KodaRuss

is that supposed to make me feel better? COD is complete ass. I'm trying to prevent Respawn from making the same mistake here.

The hemlock is a joke on console.

I think the Hemlock is a bit iffy on the consoles - stops everything in its tracks. I hate seeing things nerfed, but the Hemlock and Turrets have got me thinking.

I kinda of a agree, but sometimes it feels like the Hemlock that killed me had Amped weapons up. If they did a one burst killwith Amped Weapons active then I am completely ok with it. If it isnt active, I dont think that is right.

Arrrammis

I feel like turrets are generally OK. It's a bit weird having anti-pilot turrets, but they have a pretty small turn radius and on every map (except for maybe homestead) there's plenty of cover and flank routes. Plus, they last literally 60 seconds, and their lock-on range is pretty short, even if they stay locked on for a bit after you leave their range. I use it occasionally in attrition or bounty hunt, and almost never get a player kill with it, mainly just the a.i. who would run off a cliff if they could find it.

The only time where I thought turrets were ridiculous was when I had 6 of them stored at the end of a match, and placed them all facing different directions around the enemy dropship. It was a terrifying sight to see several turrets all lock on to whichever poor soul didn't use cover or any kind of evasive movement to get to the ship :p

dankir

I think one thing I've missed in both TF games is destructible environments.

I think with Titans and all the explosions and crazy shit happening it would just make the game even crazier and more intense.

Nobody should be safe, yes lots of changes would have to be made so that Pilots have a chance against Titans.

EL CUCO

I think with Titans and all the explosions and crazy shit happening it would just make the game even crazier and more intense.

Nobody should be safe, yes lots of changes would have to be made so that Pilots have a chance against Titans.
Maybe for TF3 on Frostbite 👀

Izuna

Banned
kdZXw.gif

Dankeschön!

tl;dr in order (bullet points)

introduction

• It's a good idea to look at other people's criticism to better articulate your own
  • It's impossible to be unbiased, but you should try to set it aside
  • [this] channel has been negative towards Shadow Warrior 2 because he didn't enjoy it, and negative towards Titanfall 2, despite the fact he does
  • he doesn't like the campaign, but it shouldn't be surprising. He doesn't like military/linear campaigns (mentions that he loves TNO and Doom)...

critiquing random criticism of his criticism (user comments)
  • "he doesn't understand happy hours and that he can switch networks" -- but the game never explained that
  • some credit/merit bullshit (confusing honestly)
  • if he made a minor error in semantics, it doesn't affect his point. that's ultimately the problem with forum critique (since a lot of it is gotcha)
  • "why didn't he learn the game?" -- i spent 10 hours, and this channel isn't frothy
  • he proceeds to complain that he isn't meant to be the smartest dude about specific games

I made it 11:41 in. It's very podcasty and a tiny bit whiny.

I'll watch the rest but you get the gist of what he's doing. He's defending his channel, his mistakes, and saying that he should be allowed to shit on Titanfall 2 decisions and still like/recommend it.

RedFury

introduction

• It's a good idea to look at other people's criticism to better articulate your own
  • [this] channel has been negative towards Shadow Warrior 2 because he didn't enjoy it, and negative towards Titanfall 2, despite the fact he does
  • he doesn't like the campaign, but it shouldn't be surprising. He doesn't like military/linear campaigns (mentions that he loves TNO and Doom)...

• "he doesn't understand happy hours and that he can switch networks" -- but the game never explained that
  • if he made a minor error in semantics, it doesn't affect his point. that's ultimately the problem with forum critique (since a lot of it is gotcha)
  • "why didn't he learn the game?" -- i spent 10 hours, and this channel isn't frothy
  • he proceeds to complain that he isn't meant to be the smartest dude about specific games

I'll watch the rest but you get the gist of what he's doing. He's defending his channel, his mistakes, and saying that he should be allowed to shit on Titanfall 2 decisions and still like/recommend it.
Good on you thanks. That's what I got out of it too (I made it in 6:42 btw and had to call it).

Izuna

Banned
Good on you thanks. That's what I got out of it too (I made it in 6:42 btw and had to call it).

I think shitting on the game for things I wish looked at makes sense for myself to do because Respawn could read it here. For example, it's a good thing for Swol to post gifs of Hemlock or myself, clips of extremely OP Legion.

If I were a reviewer, my only ulterior motive should be to inform. If this guy can't understand the importance of presentation and just rambles on about the first thing he dislikes, or gives equal time to minor issues that he says himself doesn't actually bother him, then he is, in fact, misleading people.

I don't read/watch TotalBiscuit anyway, he has no shtick to make 45 minutes of a single point watchable (personally, I like Jim Sterling for this, who can be informative as well as hilarious).

KingV

On the topic of Hemlock/camping/grouping up dynamics:

One thing I see a lot of are groups that sort of camp rooftops or buildings together. Like they're not really mobile, but just sort of hole up in a spot and trade kills with a more mobile team because of the number advantage by like crowding a roof with Hemlock users.

What I find interesting in titanfallis that that tactic doesn't always lead to success. I've had many games where the campers run up the score by 50 or 75 in the first fifth of a match, but once the Titans start to fall can't keep up and the other team comes back for the win or a very close loss.

In COD that tactic is almost always going to be successful.

Izuna

Banned
Hemlock wouldn't be super OP if the maps didn't allow for it. And finally, it's amplified by the fact that if you play Pilots vs. Pilots, there aren't any Titans that'll roflstomp you for camping.

KodaRuss

On the topic of Hemlock/camping/grouping up dynamics:

One thing I see a lot of are groups that sort of camp rooftops or buildings together. Like they're not really mobile, but just sort of hole up in a spot and trade kills with a more mobile team because of the number advantage by like crowding a roof with Hemlock users.

What I find interesting in titanfallis that that tactic doesn't always lead to success. I've had many games where the campers run up the score by 50 or 75 in the first fifth of a match, but once the Titans start to fall can't keep up and the other team comes back for the win or a very close loss.

In COD that tactic is almost always going to be successful.

I have definitely seen this as well, getting beat pretty bad in the beginning only for us to overtake them three quarters of the way into the match. Normally it is just one dude running a Hemlock and a Turret on a rooftop.

I think this is an excellent strategy for killing Pilots (and probably works amazingly for just Pilots v Pilots) but as Attrition (Bounty Hunt as well) moves along Pilots are not the most important thing to kill for points and there are a lot less Pilot kills available as they are in their Titans more often.

I think it is a good balance for the most part but the Hemlock/Turret combo really seems to make me not to want to be that aggressive with my wallrunning/movement.

Animator

Respawn, I am legit on my knees begging you as I type this.

Please, please tone down the amount of times Exoplanet comes up in Bounty Hunt. It's just exhausting at this point.

Seconded!

Respawn needs to look at map rotation asap because something is fucked with it. Literally every other map is Crashsite/Homestead when I am playing Attrition. In bounty hunt it is Exoplanet non stop. Those maps are universally hated by the playerbase.

If they want this game to succeed I hope they release some new maps fast. And I hope it is not 1 map every three months like Siege does because this game needs to have more maps than what it launched with. Map rotation and amount are pretty much my only gripes with the game at this point.

Izuna

Banned
Respawn, I am legit on my knees begging you as I type this.

Please, please tone down the amount of times Exoplanet comes up in Bounty Hunt. It's just exhausting at this point.

I thought I was the only one. ;(

I think they heard people liked it and weighted it. I hardly see Complex as often. I dunno, just pure speculation.

Alx

Yeah if you destroy the environment you would quickly remove all the mobility routes for the pilots.

Yes you can see the tide turning quickly when a team is good on base pilot skills (aka regular FPS shooting) and not in its use of titans. Quite obvious in attrition, where the moment titans start to drop is "big scoring time", one way or another.

deoee

introduction

Sounds like it's not worth tbh :D

Thank you!

jeffc919

I would love to see Angel City get a ~2x weighting in the rotation for a while (i.e. come up about twice as often as other maps do). It's new (to TF2) so people want to play it, and it's widely considered one of the best maps. Also wouldn't mind other favorites like Eden getting a slight bump. Maybe 1.25 - 1.5.

I think Cloak should counter Sonar/Map Hack/Turrets. It's fairly obvious to see for pilots, so acting as an anti-recon ability sounds perfect to me.

Is there any hope to see A.I in modes like Hardpoint?

Attrition, BH, CTF, and Hardpoint are the best modes, but HP lacks the excitement of Attrition, despite being a good standard mode to enjoy.

Anyone have a link to the things that are obtainable at each regen? I'm about to regen for second time, (so I'll be 3.01) - just wondering what actually is locked behind regenerating, etc...

Thanks...

Anyone have a link to the things that are obtainable at each regen? I'm about to regen for second time, (so I'll be 3.01) - just wondering what actually is locked behind regenerating, etc...

Thanks...

Just skins, banners, and patches. Honestly though, this game doesn't hurt you when you regen so feel free to do it.

Just skins, banners, and patches. Honestly though, this game doesn't hurt you when you regen so feel free to do it.

Ok figured that was it, I purchased with credits most of the things I found most useful after regenerating the first time, so the set backs of regenerating again are even further minimized for me at this point...

Anyone know if the kill counter on the guns you regen goes higher than triple digits?

Also are the Prime Titan skins purely cosmetic? I've started using Ion a bit more and am considering purchasing his Prime skin, mostly just to support Dev's for an awesome MP expierience so far...

SwolBro

Banned
He plays pvp and that mode has seperate issues than the modes with titans. Glad you are liking it a lot more :)ps4 or xbox

I think the Hemlock is a bit iffy on the consoles - stops everything in its tracks. I hate seeing things nerfed, but the Hemlock and Turrets have got me thinking.

After the hemlock, what's next? The g2 and eva? Can someone also tell me why turrets are an issue in anything but pvp? The only thing that is weird to me is that they stack

Hemlock is an issue in everything, not just PVP. The turrets are mainly an issue in PVP. It completely fucks the mode up.

The hemlock right now is TOO Good. You can headshot too easily, and 2 hit body shots on console with insane aim assist and tracking. It's out of fucking control.

One of the top Titanfall 1 players using hemlock for competitive ctf
HTTjKPiUZPQgo.gif

Starts off with a clear headshot (un-amped because no boosts in comp ctf), drops a player zipping at him full speed

MiSt9ynzhIMxO.gif

and then drops the flag carrier with a headshot, and prevents a return with another head shot. goes on to cap flag.

I mean... this is too much. there's NO gun duals at all at this point. This is HALO Swat edition.

I hope they leave Hemlock alone. I think some people just want the only effective way to play this game to be bouncing off the walls and bunny hopping
Yes, i do want the most effective way to play the game, the only real way to play the game, to be people bouncing off walls and using the mobility to the max. That's Titanfall. It's why in Titanfall 1 CTF was the absolute best game mode and where the game actually shined.

PvP can be played like this if they fix the stupid crap that prevents most players from even trying to be mobile.

Movement in TF1 is snappier though.
Yes and i hate that this movement in tf2 isn't snappy like before. Add the fact that everything is far more accurate (ads, hip fire, tracking) and you get far less opportunities to out strafe your opponent.

Izuna

Banned
I would love to see Angel City get a ~2x weighting in the rotation for a while (i.e. come up about twice as often as other maps do). It's new (to TF2) so people want to play it, and it's widely considered one of the best maps. Also wouldn't mind other favorites like Eden getting a slight bump. Maybe 1.25 - 1.5.

In a way, I think they did this with R1 DLC maps. It was fine for a little while but eventually that meant classic maps almost never appeared, I'd rather they didn't take that route.

Izuna

Banned
Yes and i hate that this movement in tf2 isn't snappy like before. Add the fact that everything is far more accurate (ads, hip fire, tracking) and you get far less opportunities to out strafe your opponent.

You've done a full 180 :eek:

---

Anyway, as for Hemlock... I don't want to have to use this weapon either. I wish longer ranges with the SMGs weren't so freaking bad. They've improved hip-firing and ADS from R1, but then further separated which weapons were good at them. So now you have GDLK hipfiring weapons, and GDLK long-range weapons. I know R1 didn't have much variety, but I don't particularly prefer this method.

I thought the EPG was an interesting weapon but there's no reason to ever use it. Minions are mostly killed by grenades and Stalkers have WAY too much health anyway (main reason why I use Amped Weapons now)...

~~

Sadly, I can't find anyone who likes CTF. It's all I would like to play, but because of the way maps are, hell no I ain't solo-queuing up in it. I used to do that a bit in R1 but here it just isn't fun at all.

For now, I only fuck with Bounty Hunt because of the way Join-in Progress is working in R2. If you join late in Attrition you may as well have a guaranteed loss. At least in Bounty Hunt I have some way of recovering. And plus... it's not really R1 Attrition.

I think if they gave us R1 like Attrition and straight up Skirmish, it would be dope.

deoee

I don't like CTF because it's kinda too hectic.

But I don't have anyone to play it with really and I don't care about that mode.
Learned to love Bounty Hunt with my buddies tho <3

Izuna

Banned
numbers went back to 20k

unsurprising. I bet not many people were too convinced. No one I played with liked it ;( Bounty Hunt was "too confusing" and it made us play Homestead too often

Top Bottom