• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

ironcreed

Banned
The hysterics from people here are absurd. Yes, Respawn nerfed some things that were clearly superior to everything in those categories. That is what happens in multiplayer video games in 2016. I'm sorry you have to use other guns or slightly adjust your playstyle. These disastrous nerfs, which almost everyone say feel almost exactly the same as pre-nerf, have truly ruined the game. If you can't gun people down from across the map while wall running without aiming your SMG or dominate people in a Titan that's vastly superior to every other titan by a laughable margin, why even bother playing? Tone has probably dropped all the way to the most played titan by a slightly smaller margin.

Titanfall 2 is dead.

This game has to pick up more steam, as it is just too damn good to go ignored. As far as nerfing things left and right and trying to force people to play the way other players think we should play because they are mad at getting killed, well I seriously hope that Respawn knows better. We have different options to suit different play styles and skill levels from what I can see and that is the way it has to be if you want to cater to a bigger audience.

RedFury

For non Tone players: how do you deal with this fucker?

Man, I play solely with Ion. It's the most fun to play to me. Usually I don't fear any Titan, except this fucker (and maybe a Ronin right in your face).

The best I can do is seek for cover and hope their pilot isn't very good, and abuse the quick cooldown of Ion's abilities.

Any tips?
Ion & Scorch main. If your in the open while you try to get to cover fire primary at weak spot (not splitter) you need the energy for shield. Anticipate the missile salvo, trade but be smart. If you know Tones mechanics you know when they're coming. Bam, bam, bam, missiles (it's muscle memory to them at this point which is YOUR advantage). If they throw the ping out anticipate them early. Ok so keep firing at weak point when they shoot the salvo catch it.
1. Returning it to them does massive damage.
2. Returning it to barrier it 1 shots it.
You'll out DPS this way. Another tip don't hold the shield because they'll hold off on missiles. Think Soulsbourne parry the blow with you shield. Don't hold them to long either, unnecessary waste of energy and let's them react to the blow back. Taking out Tone 1 to 1 with everything off cool down has become trivial, has a single other pilot or titan firing at you and you SOL. I still don't recommend trading if you can avoid it. Use your laser, that's ions bread and butter. At full energy you can shoot off 2. 2 body shots is equal to 1 fully charge Northstar shot. If you hit weak spot though that's like 2 fully charged Northstar shots in quick succession, you can't beat that.

E92 M3

Right now Titanfall is like MW2 - anything can be successful. Pick a loadout and knock yourself out! Currently, MW2 and Titanfall 2 are my favorite "fun" shooters ever.

ironcreed

Banned
I use Tone and regularly get my ass handed to me by Ronin, Legion and the others. They all have their strengths. And I recently started using the Hemlock and get wrecked about the same amount, while having decent games sometimes as well. I don't feel like I have some advantage over other players at all.

KodaRuss

For non Tone players: how do you deal with this fucker?

Man, I play solely with Ion. It's the most fun to play to me. Usually I don't fear any Titan, except this fucker (and maybe a Ronin right in your face).

The best I can do is seek for cover and hope their pilot isn't very good, and abuse the quick cooldown of Ion's abilities.

Any tips?

Ion is the best counter for Tone. Focus on stopping the rockets with your shield and throwing them back at Tone. Keep moving forward and keep backing Tone up.

I usually can beat a Tone 1v1 when I am Ronin but every once in a while they get lucky. Just need to close the gap, throw an electric smoke down and keep dpsing. I try to save the phase shift when they are about to drop some rockets.

Nheco

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Right now Titanfall is like MW2 - anything can be successful. Pick a loadout and knock yourself out! Currently, MW2 and Titanfall 2 are my favorite "fun" shooters ever.

Exactly. As a example, the gun I play best and most is said to be the worst lmg: spitfire. But in my hands, no other guns fells better.

I'm totally against nerfs unless is something clearly wrong. You can't please everyone.

ironcreed

Banned
I thought about trying Legion next, but I am seriously considering Ronin instead. Bringing a blade to a gun fight seems to be working out just fine for those using him.

KodaRuss

I use Tone and regularly get my ass handed to me by Ronin, Legion and the others. They all have their strengths. And I recently started using the Hemlock and get wrecked about the same amount, while having decent games sometimes as well. I don't feel like I have some advantage over other players at all.

What loadout are you using? I always used increased Shield and Overcore. She has been nerfed a little more since I used her all the time but she is still the best all around Titan.

Keep in mind a good Ronin is going to try to get behind you every time so when he is headed your way or he phase shift use your dash to move towards the direction he was coming from. Backing up against a Ronin or a Legion for that matter will not help you normally, just makes it easier for them to damage you.

With Legion you just need to hug corners and angles. Be ready to bounce back into cover when your shield goes down against Legion.

SwolBro

Banned
Well when you have a vocal minority as loud a Swol...*shade*

Swol I agree where with the niche the Volt fills, it makes sense. It's role shouldn't bleed into that of a different class. Whatever change they made to damage over distance or accuracy I'm ok with. If there was any change I'd like for it is a projectile speed increase. It's not the Volt that needs to be moved back up because it fits where it is now. It's the Hemlock that needs to be looked at. I don't agree with the G2 however as I feel it fits in line with other assault rifles..
The only reason the G2a doesn't piss as many people off is because it does require a bit more aiming and more trigger presses. In the hands of a decent player it can be even more aggravating than the hemlock though.

The hysterics from people here are absurd. Yes, Respawn nerfed some things that were clearly superior to everything in those categories. That is what happens in multiplayer video games in 2016. I'm sorry you have to use other guns or slightly adjust your playstyle. These disastrous nerfs, which almost everyone say feel almost exactly the same as pre-nerf, have truly ruined the game. If you can't gun people down from across the map while wall running without aiming your SMG .

Not sure what you're saying here. I'm complaining about them nerfing a gun that didn't need to be nerfed on console. A gun that still required a lot of mobility to become really effective, and was harder to aim and took longer to kill than either the hemlock or g2a.

This isn't about adapting, this is about the game being bogged down by these ridiculously powerful and easy to use weapons. If this was Battlefield i probably wouldn't complain. This is Titanfall, a game focused on MOBILITY.

You don't find a gun easily capable of taking people down in 2 bursts? 1 burst most of the time since for some reason it's insanely easy to get headshots with a problem?

bckQbPRYNGV4A.gif

tyYtNu4jGwwKs.gif

CtahAUE2W36DK.gif

UtgXxm0EZ79SM.gif

You don't see a major issue with this? Really? A gun that can smoke you with little effort from insane distances that can also pull off 1 burst headshots up close.

There's no escaping a hemlock death most of the time.

KodaRuss

I thought about trying Legion next, but I am seriously considering Ronin instead. Bringing a blade to a gun fight seems to be working out just fine for those using him.

You will get thrashed for the first few games. It takes a while to play correctly as him.

He basically has to be up front to be effective like a tank in an MMO but without the health bar.

Dont be afraid to run away and let your cooldowns recharge and your sword block will block a lot more damage than you think it will.

Nheco

I don't think hemlock is op. I tried to play with, but I don't like it, it wasn't fun or even good to me. You can't assume that every weapon works the same for everyone as it's works for you.

ghostwich

I don't think hemlock is op. I tried to play with, but I don't like it, it wasn't fun or even good to me. You can't assume that every weapon works the same for everyone as it's works for you.

The case he's making is the Hemlock on consoles (w/ controller aim assist) is OP, right?

Another tip with Ronin, the main attack you should use is Leadwall. Yes, he has a sword, but his melee is better served for killing pilots.

KodaRuss

I dont think the gun should be able to kill in one burst without Amped Weapons. That is what I see happening a lot.

I am not sure if it as big of a problem on PC as it is on consoles because of the aim assist but it has to be the most deadly gun out there on PS4 imo.

ironcreed

Banned
I play on console. Also I don't have issues against it.

I don't see a problem either. I started using it an die just about as much as I did using the R-201. On average, I fare about as well as I did before. Sometimes worse, sometimes better. You are always going to encounter someone who beats you to the punch and smacks you down, regardless.

Gator86

The only reason the G2a doesn't piss as many people off is because it does require a bit more aiming and more trigger presses. In the hands of a decent player it can be even more aggravating than the hemlock though.

Not sure what you're saying here. I'm complaining about them nerfing a gun that didn't need to be nerfed on console. A gun that still required a lot of mobility to become really effective, and was harder to aim and took longer to kill than either the hemlock or g2a.

This isn't about adapting, this is about the game being bogged down by these ridiculously powerful and easy to use weapons. If this was Battlefield i probably wouldn't complain. This is Titanfall, a game focused on MOBILITY.

You don't find a gun easily capable of taking people down in 2 bursts? 1 burst most of the time since for some reason it's insanely easy to get headshots with a problem?

bckQbPRYNGV4A.gif

tyYtNu4jGwwKs.gif

CtahAUE2W36DK.gif

UtgXxm0EZ79SM.gif

You don't see a major issue with this? Really? A gun that can smoke you with little effort from insane distances that can also pull off 1 burst headshots up close.

There's no escaping a hemlock death most of the time.

Nope, I see nothing wrong with that. You cherry-picked the absolute best-case scenarios with the Hemlock as examples. Most of the time, people aren't landing hip fire kills like that and such. How would those have gone any differently with another weapon? I could land all those kills with a Flatline or Alternator just as easily, if not easier, in many of those examples.

There's no escaping ______ death in TF2 most of the time. There are not, and have never been any gun duels in this game. Death is instant and often unavoidable. I am killed by the devotion before I even realize I've been shot. SMGs from midrange or closer are headshot machines without even forcing you to break your gait. I don't see the Hemlok as substantially different from other weapons.

I dont think the gun should be able to kill in one burst without Amped Weapons. That is what I see happening a lot.

I am not sure if it as big of a problem on PC as it is on consoles because of the aim assist but it has to be the most deadly gun out there on PS4 imo.

It sucks to get one-shotted with it, but it usually requires a solid shot or close range to work. I think it probably has one of the higher ceilings for damage in the game, but you're also giving up other advantages to gain that ability. All the wall running and hipfire play you can pull off with other guns is far more limited with a Hemlok.

Wait, with the exception of the first gif (headshot), all of these show that the hemlock needed at least a second burst to kill. Even the Angel City rooftop one shows that the hemlock had a critical hit, and it was the second burst that got the kill.

EDIT: Misread your post (that was the point you were trying to make). I don't see anything wrong with two bursts.

RedFury

I don't have an issue with the Hemlock either...if it was named the double-take. Snipers need to have there ease of use looked at. Hemlock is every thing they should be in a game with this speed. I think in the many hours I've played I've only been killed by a sniper rifle 1 time. No in fact I'm pretty confident about that. I'd rather here the same complaints about the double-take then the Hemlock because the reason for those complaints make more sense to the class. High single shot damage, long range, etc. To be clear I DON'T have a problem with the niche, just feel it's in the wrong CLASS.

Gator86

I don't have an issue with the Hemlock either...if it was named the double-take. Snipers need to have there ease of use looked at. Hemlock is every thing they should be in a game with this speed. I think in the many hours I've played I've only been killed by a sniper rifle 1 time. No in fact I'm pretty confident about that. I'd rather here the same complaints about the double-take then the Hemlock because the reason for those complaints make more sense to the class. High single shot damage, long range, etc. To be clear I DON'T have a problem with the niche, just feel it's in the wrong CLASS.

The Hemlok is the sniper in this game. The snipers are just there for added variety. As you said, the naming is just different, but as far as functionality, it serves the exact same role in this. I'm honestly kind of fine with that. Nothing is more joyless than being sniped from across the map. The Hemlok is deadly at range, but it's always a range where you could theoretically shoot back.

RedFury

The Hemlok is the sniper in this game. The snipers are just there for added variety. As you said, the naming is just different, but as far as functionality, it serves the exact same role in this. I'm honestly kind of fine with that. Nothing is more joyless than being sniped from across the map. The Hemlok is deadly at range, but it's always a range where you could theoretically shoot back.
I feel that's the issue though. If people are like "ugh I hate that sniper, wtf he sniped me with an assault rifle!" that something is wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a 2 burst kill or a 1 shot headshot but line up two pilots and body shot each other one with Hemlock the other the double-take. Hemlock wins. Do the same at range same outcome. Switch for the long bow and it's a trade. If the Hemlock is trading with the Longbow something is wrong don't you agree?

Edit: long story short: Keep the Hemlock damage profile but switch rate of fire with that of double-take. Hemlock can still keep its power but takes a hit to its fire rate so you need to make shots count, and sniper rifles get a little representation.

Gator86

I feel that's the issue though. If people are like "ugh I hate that sniper, wtf he sniped me with an assault rifle!" that something is wrong. I don't see anything wrong with a 2 burst kill or a 1 shot headshot but line up two pilots and body shot each other one with Hemlock the other the double-take. Hemlock wins. Do the same at range same outcome. Switch for the long bow and it's a trade. If the Hemlock is trading with the Longbow something is wrong don't you agree?

I don't think anyone can argue that snipers are especially effective or prevalent in this game. Right now, I view them as an option for people seeking a higher skill ceiling and more challenging gameplay. I don't think the Hemlok is really taking people out from sniping distances though, especially with one shot. I don't think the Hemlok is a problem right now, but I cringe at the idea of assholes running around quick-scoping people with the Kraber and shit like that.

Gator86

I don't think I like that the Flatline is emerging as the new best gun in the game.

The Flatline is one of the only guns in the game with actual recoil though. Compared to recoil-less laser rifles like the R201, the Flatline almost seems like it's from another game altogether.

KodaRuss

If you take away one burst kill from a burst weapon, it will be useless.

Excellent point. Should be the end of it.

The gun is meant for decent range and has a very fast rate of fire. It is far from useless if it does not kill in one shot. We have seen from other clips it is still insanely deadly killing on the second or even third burst.

Like others have said it is the perfect gun for taking out mobile players. Which in turn really limits how Titanfall should be played imo. We dont want a rooftop camp fest with turrets everywhere. That is what many Hemlock players run with and it is incredibly efficient at destroying the other team.

RedFury

I don't think anyone can argue that snipers are especially effective or prevalent in this game. Right now, I view them as an option for people seeking a higher skill ceiling and more challenging gameplay. I don't think the Hemlok is really taking people out from sniping distances though, especially with one shot. I don't think the Hemlok is a problem right now, but I cringe at the idea of assholes running around quick-scoping people with the Kraber and shit like that.
With the high mobility of this game I don't ever see that happening. If it does props to you, damn you must be amazing to watch. It's power at close to mid is what makes it better than 2/3 of the snipers. It's the fire rate at range that puts it on top of those same 2/3. Your right it won't kill in 1 shot at range but the follow up comes much quicker. That's not even taking into account the bullet drop of sniper rifles, bad sight picture, and just the overall ease of use the Hemlock has. I can't really say definitely what should be done but feel that an assault rifle being uncontested in the niche sniper rifles should fill is just wrong. I feel this is a logical conclusion, don't you agree? I'm in no way shape or form suggesting you agree to a nerf. Just acknowledge that something is funny about that. It could be a sniper buff, just make them hitscan or something that could be enough.

Edit: would you be apposed to everything remaining the same but Double-take getting a rate of fire buff to match Hemlock shot for shot?

Discobird

Swol I agree with the niche the Volt fills, it makes sense. It's role shouldn't bleed into that of a different class. Whatever change they made to damage over distance or accuracy I'm ok with. If there was any change I'd like for it is a projectile speed increase.

Volt is actually hitscan despite appearances

Gator86

The gun is meant for decent range and has a very fast rate of fire. It is far from useless if it does not kill in one shot. We have seen from other clips it is still insanely deadly killing on the second or even third burst.

Like others have said it is the perfect gun for taking out mobile players. Which in turn really limits how Titanfall should be played imo. We dont want a rooftop camp fest with turrets everywhere. That is what many Hemlock players run with and it is incredibly efficient at destroying the other team.

I don't think the existence of the Hemlok alone limits the way the game can be played. You can do similar things with lots of other weapons, but they don't have all the restrictions a Hemlok does. Do I think it's a powerful gun? Yeah, it's really strong. Do I think it alone breaks the flow and style of the game? Not really.

I'm with the anti-turret people though. They're lame and function only to limit mobility and force map control. I don't see what they add to the game. I'm never like "oh cool, a turret. I'm excited to avoid this part of the map for the next few minutes, take the only other alternative route to get behind it where an asshole is camping with an A-wall and devotion, or spend 30 seconds whittling down it's health before being shot for being immobile." I'd be fine with them being removed altogether. Just a bad addition to the game, in my opinion.

At least Hemlok users are actually playing the game and not just hitting a button on the d-pad then wandering off.

Are weapons balanced? Im using the Volt but wonder if the CAR has any advantages. Or is it just the case that later unlocks outclass the early ones?

There aren't many weapons in this game (which is not a bad thing), but Im hoping they are all viable.

So is there any reason to choose the Car or Alternator when I have the Volt?

Or the Spitfire/other LMG compared to the Devotion?

ARs seem like they have better variety, as I can see myself using the Hemlock, but also the R201. Havent touched snipers or shotguns too much, but the Shotgun option seems straightforward.

No idea if I should bother with the rockets.

Can we talk about shields again?

I seriously think giving all titans a quarter or half a shield would be aweeesomeeee. The battery boost could give you a full shield.

I have to admit that carrying both an AT weapon and a secondary pistol would be too OP as then Titans would die near instantly since everybody could easily take it out.

Arttemis

Holy shit, this game needs an audible cue for joining matches. A 3 second countdown, for fuck's sake. Can't tell you how many times I've been kicked out of the loadout screens jarringly. Very frustrating.

ironcreed

Banned
I always just back out of matchmaking when I want to spend time customizing, get a drink or whatever. Then pop back in to find another game like it's nothing. I love the way it's set up. Very fast and efficient.

Nheco

Are weapons balanced? Im using the Volt but wonder if the CAR has any advantages. Or is it just the case that later unlocks outclass the early ones?

There aren't many weapons in this game (which is not a bad thing), but Im hoping they are all viable.

ARs seem like they have better variety, as I can see myself using the Hemlock, but also the R201. Havent touched snipers or shotguns too much, but the Shotgun option seems straightforward.

I seriously think giving all titans a quarter or half a shield would be aweeesomeeee. The battery boost could give you a full shield.

I have to admit that carrying both an AT weapon and a secondary pistol would be too OP as then Titans would die near instantly since everybody could easily take it out.

The devotion is too slow to start, when it's shooting fast enough, it's time to start moving again. That's why a favor spitfire instead of it, you just need to deal with a bigger recoil. Also, it has a huge clip, so you don't need to reload very often.

I don't think shields are needed for the Titans, the way it is make you play more smart instead of being an idiot on a huge robot just blazing guns (well, you can do it, it's just not... good).

Menitta

My problem right now with Angel City is that there's a billion different places you can be shot from. How do I make that less of a problem?

JJShadow

Bought this one at launch, had a blast with the campaign and MP but had to sale it to afford FF XV and Dishonored 2. I gave it another try this weekend with the free trial and here I am, buying it for the second time (and now to keep it)

Best, funniest MP game this year hands down, so even if I don't have that much time to play, Respawn deserves all my money

Nheco

My problem right now with Angel City is that there's a billion different places you can be shot from. How do I make that less of a problem?

In Angel City I stay most of time indoors, or flanking to the center of the map from the buildings. Also, the edges of the maps are good places, since they are well defined (it's easy to know where the maps ends), so you just need to pay attention to one direction (mostly).

I really don't like Complex. I just plain stupid and small, there are some areas outside (with the shinning dome), but they are usually a ghost town.

E92 M3

All weapons are viable, and I actually love the current Titan setup. Batteries become very important and survivability comes down to strategy. I can usually keep my Titan alive for the whole match.

KodaRuss

All weapons are viable, and I actually love the current Titan setup. Batteries become very important and survivability comes down to strategy. I can usually keep my Titan alive for the whole match.

I go back and forth on the Titan's having more health thing.

Angel City makes it very apparent that TF1 Titans had more health. If you are in the middle of the map for any amount of time in Angel City in TF2 say goodbye to your Titan because you are getting hit from all sides by MGLs.

I think it is a good balance for the most part but damn you can take down a 3 health bar Ronin or Northstar so fast if they dont see you coming.

Izuna

Banned
Son of Sam's spirit has possessed Swol and has started to hate the Arc Cannon Hemlock.

I don't have any strong feelings, but let me say this... I don't feel like using any other weapon than the hemlock as long as other people also get to use it.

I am Amped 90% of the time also, so I can hipfire like crazy.

And anyway, TitanGAF... I'm going to start making OT2 now. If you keep misgendering Northstar you'll get a polarising title again
jk

Long-range in R1 was done by the R-101 or controlled fire with the C.A.R. ~ getting killed from super far away gave you the ability to react and get out of the way. Hemlock does remove that.

G2 is pretty bad at close ranges, Hemlock, nah.

So, while I have no idea what the Volt is about, I agree that the Hemlock is basically the Tone of primary weapons.

But I finally got it in pink so don't you dare Nerf it so soon. :D

I've learned that Complex isn't my most hated map anymore. It's Exoplanet. Why? Because ALWAYS get Exoplanet. I'm cursed.

Top Bottom