• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

FStop7

Banned
Each weapon has a different play style. You either adapt to its niche or realise you don't like the play style and move on.

You're totally right, I was just very interested in it since a lot of posters have been saying how overpowered it is and I'm just not feeling that at all. Maybe it's because I don't aim for the head? I always aim mid torso or even legs.

I switched to Spitfire and CAR and those are working better for me. I'm not going to give up on Hemlok, though. Too many good players like using it, so there has to be some value.

I also switched from Tone to Legion and he is pretty rad, EXCEPT against Ronin. I got absolutely mauled by a Ronin and I don't think there is anything I can really do to counter.

And this might be a Captain Obvious thing but in Attrition the Smart Pistol + groups of Grunts and Spectres makes it super easy to get your Titan in a hurry.

I hit some kind of personal skill breakthrough last night and suddenly I am consistently finishing with good KD ratios. I went 16-2 and 15-4 which is unheard of for me.

Also lol @ people complaining about the Hemlock while the Devotion exists...

It's not even close on PC.

Hemlock has a faster time to kill than the Devotion, I think that's what irritates people.

None of the weapons bug me personally. I think people forget that the Hemlock is fairly high risk, since the time between bursts needs to be accounted for in its TTK, provided the player doesn't get downed in one burst. As nice as it is when people go down in a single burst, this is very rare outside of close to close-mid range, and within that space, you're definitely at a disadvantage to SMGs and the like.

Izuna

Banned
As far as strategies go Ill post my start of the match Bounty Hunt strat that works really well to get me MVP all the time to steer this conversation as Cobalt suggested.

Step 1 Pick Smart Pistol Boost
Step 2 Acquire Smart Pistol with some Pilot/Grunt Kills
Step 3 Take out tons of NPCs insanely fast with Smart Pistol
Step 4 Call in Ronin
Step 5 Nuclear Ronin onto Bounty Titan in the second round

I am usually leaving the bank after the second deposit with around 1000+ points with this strategy and we are up by a minimum of 700 points going into the next round of NPCs.

Cobalt, I did something for you you gotta do something for me. Stop using R1/R2. Please!

hehe... How about we stop talking about R1, so there's no need? <3

----

With Bounty Hunt, you can essentially win the game within the first two rounds if you're not up against pretty good players. I learned a few things through testing (which should have been mentioned in the game tbh)...

Cash and Bonus are the same for EVERY AI enemy. This means...

Waves 1 and 2 is worth $500c and $500b (c is Cash which goes directly to your score, and b is Bounty)

Your goal in Wave 1 is to get your Titan as fast as possible, whether by killing Pilots or finding a safe spot to kill the first wave of AI (there are a few spots in some maps where I have never been killed, but then I only play against scrubs)

Once you have your Titan, you want to time it perfectly for Nuclear. Now, here's the thing, if you get your Titan super early... Drop it and steal ALL the $c and $b from Wave 1, but do your best to hide your Titan.

I recommend Tone or Northstar for this because they can use Nuclear and still be great, whilst being able to damage themselves (as Tone, shoot the ground or a wall, same with Cluster on Northstar).

However, you don't want to damage yourself too early or let enemy Pilots do it (so they don't get theirs). If they pull out a battery, kill the Pilot, but don't pick the battery up unless you're Doomed.

Nuclear eject Wave 2. If the Bounty Titan is an Atlas or Ogre class, look directly down while you're ejecting and immediately drop your next Titan and shoot it with your Anti-Titan weapon. It's not a big deal if you don't get the final hit (because you will have about $350c and $350b minimum), but this is the best way to do it.

With Tone and Northstar, either Sonar a bank or Cluster it. Don't worry about the life of your Titan here, it's purpose is to get you to bank the money.

Ideally, you should have about $1500c for your team here after banking your bonus. This puts you in the sort of lead where your whole team only needs to fight in one spawn for the rest of the game.

~~

Tone and Northstar are particularly great because they can Goose with ease. If you don't have time to kill a Bounty Titan on the other side of the map, you do have time to try and Goose the Titan who is killing it (he's likely about to die or is Nuclear himself).

Here's the kicker... The reason why this basically wins the game because even if you die, technically you still have 75% of any money from an enemy. It doesn't matter if you get Goosed after blowing up a Bounty Titan. They only get 25% of the total money. And because of this, Waves 3 (onwards) usually has both teams getting the same cash. Winning Waves 1 and 2 is imperative for an early win they can never make a comeback to.

Eden is one of the maps where Waves 5 and 6 only have one point, so it's almost impossible for the other team to make a comeback then.

Finally, spawns are RANDOM. Eden, I think all the spawn places are the same, but Exoplanet has variety (even the names of the spawns flip, like A or B). Memorising them usually means you get the jump in a specific area.

As a solo queue with Nuclear. ALWAYS go for the Bounty Titan furthest away from your Team's titans. Even if your Team eventually dies before getting to the bank, they probably will collect all the cash. And if you die on your way back... again... You've taken 75% <3

Tomeru

Respawn, can we please have more weapon sights? The ones we have, I feel, could do a better job than they do now, as they tend to block some part of the view. Which is weird given the width of the sights. Maybe just add extra dots a-la cod. More customization in that department is one of the best QOL enhancement I can think of.

Izuna

Banned
Titanfall 2 |OT2| G2.1

TITANFALL 2 |OT2.1| Whatever the %$&^ that means.
TITANFALL 2 |prOT2| Uphold The Mission
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Don't Misgender Northstar Either.
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Didact's montage still not out
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| Can We Get An Encore? (posted in Gaming)
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| I promise that this title will be better
TITANFALL 2 |OT2| TitanGAF are family and we'll KICK YOUR ARSE

cast your votes

Respawn, can we please have more weapon sights? The ones we have, I feel, could do a better job than they do now, as they tend to block some part of the view. Which is weird given the width of the sights. Maybe just add extra dots a-la cod. More customization in that department is one of the best QOL enhancement I can think of.

Weapon sight customisation is a nice addition. I agree, the current ones are pretty mediocre, in many cases I feel that the irons are better, even the basic iron sights add magnification on some weapons, which I often do not want.

While I don't like using smiley faces and other nonsense in call of duty, I like that the option is there. It would be neat if you could make your own weapon sights with an editor. Y'know, place the red dots wherever you want.

TITANFALL 2 |prOT2| Protect The Pilot

cast your votes

I like the first one and the last one. I think the others are awful.

cast your votes

giphy.gif

...righteous rant...
Thank you for that. You summed up my feelings about our OT exactly. I was catching up on the day's posts and I found myself ranting to my wife about the general bitchy tone (no gender intended) this thread had taken. I respect constructive criticism and would love to see us get back to those sort of interactions of we're upset about changes or game design.

Also OT2 has to be "whatever the fuck that means?"

In bounty hunt it seems an easy way to throw a game by taking lots of grunt kills and then dying to an enemy pilot.

Do you think it's a viable strategy to designate players focused on killing grunts, and others focused on killing pilots? Hunting players if you're also killing lots of grunts feels as though it carries too much risk.

I think it makes the most sense to have two members of the team designated to killing pilots, not carrying any risk because they do not kill grunts (therefore, do not take cash out of the pool), stealing cash from opponents and keeping them from harassing your team / killing the neutral grunts.

Does that make sense? Or is it better for everyone to go for the grunts?

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
TITANFALL 2 |prOT2| Protect The Pilot

cast your votes

I really like prOT 2, but it's gotta be the underlined. Plus protocol 2 is uphold the mission.

Discobird

Here's the kicker... The reason why this basically wins the game because even if you die, technically you still have 75% of any money from an enemy. It doesn't matter if you get Goosed after blowing up a Bounty Titan. They only get 25% of the total money.

I'm not in a place where I can check this easily, but I thought it was a 50/50 split between killer and victim?

Izuna

Banned
In bounty hunt it seems an easy way to throw a game by taking lots of grunt kills and then dying to an enemy pilot.

Do you think it's a viable strategy to designate players focused on killing grunts, and others focused on killing pilots? Hunting players if you're also killing lots of grunts feels as though it carries too much risk.

I think it makes the most sense to have two members of the team designated to killing pilots, not carrying any risk because they do not kill grunts (therefore, do not take cash out of the pool), stealing cash from opponents and keeping them from harassing your team / killing the neutral grunts.

Does that make sense? Or is it better for everyone to go for the grunts?

Everyone should be killing AI first unless they have the jump on pilots. In theory, even if you lost ALL your bonus (which isn't possible) but you got all the minion kills, you'd only draw.

Arttemis

What? I see bish in PS4 network every now and then.

I won't lie sometimes I wish that slide gave a boost like the knee slide in vanquish. Shit would be mad. Could you imagine if every slide gave a stim like quick boost *drooling with flys in sparkling eyes anime style*
That would be a great perk alternative to Hover. Boost to slide on a ~2 second cooldown after use.

deoee

Sometimes I recognise names from this thread

C4HkkrW.png

Reddit though? uh!

Reddit has people online, GAF is empty ALL the time :(

Also I switch for the Happy Hours :D

Edit: I'm currently trying out new weapons, so don't take the scores seriously :|

Either of these two, IMO. If you go with the first, I'd maybe add a link to the interview at the bottom of the new OT.

Are you going to add the TitanGAF networks info to the OP of OT2, or should it be in the first reply like it is currently?

Izuna

Banned
Either of these two, IMO. If you go with the first, I'd maybe add a link to the interview at the bottom of the new OT.

Are you going to add the TitanGAF networks info to the OP of OT2, or should it be in the first reply like it is currently?

I'll add the networks.

Also, recently, I've stopped using the excel sheet to accept members into TitanGAF. I think PMs or posts is a better way (most people who have wanted to join sent me messages or PMs or already had their GT posted somewhere on GAF before). I've only denied 4 people out of like 150.

It'll remain request to join on Xbone though. <3

I have never had Happy Hour. I always stick to Advocate Network though, where it's on at midnight when no one should be playing.

Join TitanGAF then. :s

I'll add the networks.

Also, recently, I've stopped using the excel sheet to accept members into TitanGAF. I think PMs or posts is a better way (most people who have wanted to join sent me messages or PMs or already had their GT posted somewhere on GAF before). I've only denied 4 people out of like 150.

It'll remain request to join on Xbone though. <3
Makes sense. I've been opening up the PC network periodically (e.g. during the free weekend) and then just going through it, but I've probably missed some people as well.

deoee

My ping keeps getting worse :p

was 30 now it's 120+ in the late evening hours.
Makes some firefights really hard to win.

Everyone should be killing AI first unless they have the jump on pilots. In theory, even if you lost ALL your bonus (which isn't possible) but you got all the minion kills, you'd only draw.

But what I'm saying is that if 6 pilots on both teams, all go for the minions, then let's say they're equally skilled, and get 50% each. If 2 of 6 had of just aggressively killed the enemy pilots, then their team mates could get far more than 50% of those kills.

It seems to me that the potential influence that killing enemy pilots has, is far more significant than the game emphasises.

The same is true for the bounty phases. If the enemy doesn't have Titan's, they will almost always lose out on this phase. So having a couple of players that focus on making sure those are down before the phase starts seems really influential.

In the same way, by having someone on your team that doesn't have to worry about banking a significant amount of cash, you can really disrupt their ability to bank their cash. It's not uncommon that I'll kill 3-4 players on a bank, and I usually finish 2nd or 3rd on team, purely with stolen cash.

Zemm

Reddit has people online, GAF is empty ALL the time :(

Also I switch for the Happy Hours :D

Edit: I'm currently trying out new weapons, so don't take the scores seriously :|

Yeah I play in the Giantbomb one myself. That game was way too close, luckily we both carried it a bit

deoee

Yeah I play in the Giantbomb one myself. That game was way too close, luckily we both carried it a bit

I think I was fucking around with the Hemlock first and had like 5 points for 3 minutes into the game.
Then I went berzerk with the G2 and Ronin.
It's fun to change things up, but I feel like automatic weapons outclass every other weapon in most situations.

Izuna

Banned
But what I'm saying is that if 6 pilots on both teams, all go for the minions, then let's say they're equally skilled, and get 50% each. If 2 of 6 had of just aggressively killed the enemy pilots, then their team mates could get far more than 50% of those kills.

It seems to me that the potential influence that killing enemy pilots has, is far more significant than the game emphasises.

The same is true for the bounty phases. If the enemy doesn't have Titan's, they will almost always lose out on this phase. So having a couple of players that focus on making sure those are down before the phase starts seems really influential.

In the same way, by having someone on your team that doesn't have to worry about banking a significant amount of cash, you can really disrupt their ability to bank their cash. It's not uncommon that I'll kill 3-4 players on a bank, and I usually finish 2nd or 3rd on team, purely with stolen cash.

Bounty Hunt is 5 players, not 6.

I think we need to discuss what "goes for minions" means. Wave 1 (apart from Wave 5 on Eden) is the only minion spawn with a single point. Also, you won't have any Titans at the start. Any pilot that fights away from this point/isn't throwing 'nades, is only making it less likely for their team to get the cash.

Killing other Pilots or Titans at the spawn points is obviously what you should do, but the priority should be the minions.

Simply put, the team that kills the most minions will win. This is simply a fact of how the game works. It's technically not really possible for a team who kills less minions to steal all the bonus, since they only steal 50% each time.

When I'm playing, I will often say "I have A point, everyone go to B" or "leave Laser alone" etc. Because all you really need to do is kill more than half of the minions each time.

The average team will just have all their Titans in one spawn. When that happens, it makes more sense to soft of focus on making sure you do more Damage to an AI Titan. Don't try to kill the enemy first. Whatever you take, you keep 75% of it unless you die. A single Tone Core does like half of a Bounty Titan's health.

Stealing money is the go back mechanic, but you will never catch up that way. It doesn't make sense to have players prioritising this.

RedFury

Teach me how to use it. I tried it the other day, and the recoil is absolutely insane.
Hipfire all ways. Look around find your target and rush into them at oblique angles if spotted. If you spot someone and they're not aware of you, you can run directly at them. If they're far don't bother, just break off line of sight and stim to them from a different route and close the distance. Chose your battles wisely. It's not like using the R201 in which you can engage everyone you see. If your using your stim ONLY for closing distances and running away from fights you can't win (while finding a route that does work) you shouldn't ever need it and not have it. Don't use it to get around the map quickly like you normally would just to get in your engagement range. You'll find the golden range with practice. When you do you'll notice how fast pilots melt, it's absolutely crazy. Like I said it's a completely different style of play. Once you "get it" though I don't think any other weapon out DPSes it. I've gone 21-2, 27-3, 24-0 last couple of games following that philosophy. Might end up getting better just forcing myself to play this way to make this weapon work.

Hipfire all ways. Look around find your target and rush into them at oblique angles if spotted. If you spot someone and they're not aware of you, you can run directly at them. If they're far don't bother, just break off line of sight and stim to them from a different route and close the distance. Chose your battles wisely. It's not like using the R201 in which you can engage everyone you see. If your using your stim ONLY for closing distances and running away from fights you can't win (while finding a route that does work) you shouldn't ever need it and not have it. Don't use it to get around the map quickly like you normally would just to get in your engagement range. You'll find the golden range with practice. When you do you'll notice how fast pilots melt, it's absolutely crazy. Like I said it's a completely different style of play. Once you "get it" though I don't think any other weapon out DPSes it. I've gone 21-2, 27-3, 24-0 last couple of games following that philosophy. Might end up getting better just forcing myself to play this way to make this weapon work.

Okay, I'll try that. Phase shift could probably work with the gun too though, right? But then again, with phase, you lose track of enemy location so maybe it won't work as well with closing distances.

KodaRuss

cast your votes

First, Last but if you think you will not get banned then this one.

Zemm

In all honesty, I would say Titanfall 2 is one of the most balanced shooters out. I feel powerful as a Titan and Pilot - that's really telling.

It really is.

It sounds like PvP is almost a totally different game, and I hope they don't balance around it. I see none of these hemlock problems on PC, infact I barely see anyone use it. Right now there is quite a bit of variety in weapons and Titans, no one gun stands out as much better than the others.

SwolBro

Banned

cast your votes
first one, but see if you're actually allowed to use the curse word. And why not Grab em by the hemlock? that gives a good chuckle.

Thank you for that. You summed up my feelings about our OT exactly. I was catching up on the day's posts and I found myself ranting to my wife about the general bitchy tone (no gender intended) this thread had taken. I respect constructive criticism and would love to see us get back to those sort of interactions of we're upset about changes or game design.

Hmm.... speaking for myself i've done nothing but give constructive criticism. I've detailed exactly why the nerfs and lack of buffs to specific weapons are an issue until i've been blue in the face.

Animator

Woop my company got shitloads of titanfall 2 code doritos chips for the snack cabinet. I am going home with 10 new codes every day. Gen 10 here I come. :D

FStop7

Banned
My ping keeps getting worse :p

was 30 now it's 120+ in the late evening hours.
Makes some firefights really hard to win.

Server population is up. I've been home sick and plugged into the game since early this morning. When I started there were 700 players in Attrition in my region and now there are close to 3000. Pings have gone up accordingly and the movement and shooting have begun to feel sluggish.

Last night the peak I saw was right around 3500. Before Thanksgiving it was 2500 on weekends. So that's a nice increase and hopefully good news for the future of the franchise.

Top Bottom