• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

RedFury

[*]Faster travelling projectiles than the railgun titan, Northstar? Yep.
[*]Light-drop projectile, so you can snipe trade with Ion and Northstar at range? Yep
These are the ones that truly bother me. A titan railgun should be the FASTEST projectile in game bar none. When I asked for full charged shots to piercing Tone barriers I refrained from also asking to make it hitscan as well at full charge. Northstar is supposed to be the precision titan but has a slow projectile that also has drop off. Hitting the weak spots on titans is a must but very inconsistent as it is now. You have to anticipate movement AND account for drop off all while being pelted by Tone hiding behind a shield. Like I've said I like where Tone is at the moment, what we need now is a definitive Kryptonite for her. People see tone and go ok I'll use tone too. It should be like a fighting game (or OW) where you can have effective hard counters for everyone. I also don't like the idea of abilities doing a set amount of damage on everything. Say a Legions shot does 500 damage a Tone shield has 1200 you can do 2 legion burst shots and NOT destroy the shield. I feel that a single burst should take out the shield. There by 1 ability canceling another. Here's where perks matter. If a Tone uses added reinforced shield then a single burst won't pop it and instead need a little more damage to destroy. Now if a Legion has double storage he can burst 2 times and pop the shield, or be smart burst once shoot to remove the rest then burst on target. I think Tone overall is in a good spot and it is the interplay between other titans that needs to be looked at, not only that but their perks. Abilities should be able to cancel out other abilities so to speak. I don't like the blanket damage model but understand that it makes things easier overall [for the developer].

Edit: I feel changes like this will make the game more skill oriented VS a "balance" oriented one if that makes sense. It's about managing you abilities when fighting and knowing when to use them VS what we have now which is if it's off cooldown use it for DPS.

My 2 cents.

Discobird

Am I saying something weird when I say the netcode in this game is balls? I get shot behind cover, shot when phase shifted, lagspikes all the time and I keep hearing hitsounds without doing damage. Not to mention all the times stuff like melee and executions don't work. It's all so inconsistent.

I'm a PC player like you (Oregon datacenter) and I don't have the same issues, that sucks though :( I assume you've tried changing datacenters. Based on the posts above about the Netgear Nighthawk it sounds like the game may have issues with certain routers.

About the phase shift thing, there is a small delay between when your screen changes colors and when you're actually invincible as I'm sure you know. As far as I can tell this isn't netcode (as it's pretty consistent regardless of network conditions) but just a mismatch between the visuals and function.

Melee has been pretty good for me since the last patch.

These are the ones that truly bother me. A titan railgun should be the FASTEST projectile in game bar none. When I asked for full charged shots to piercing Tone barriers I refrained from also asking to make it hitscan as well at full charge. Northstar is supposed to be the precision titan but has a slow projectile that also has drop off. Hitting the weak spots on titans is a must but very inconsistent as it is now. You have to anticipate movement AND account for drop off all while being pelted by Tone hiding behind a shield. Like I've said I like where Tone is at the moment, what we need now is a definitive Kryptonite for her. People see tone and go ok I'll use tone too. It should be like a fighting game (or OW) where you can have effective hard counters for everyone. I also don't like the idea of abilities doing a set amount of damage on everything. Say a Legions shot does 500 damage a Tone shield has 1200 you can do 2 legion burst shots and NOT destroy the shield. I feel that a single burst should take out the shield. There by 1 ability canceling another. Here's where perks matter. If a Tone uses added reinforced shield then a single burst won't pop it and instead need a little more damage to destroy. Now if a Legion has double storage he can burst 2 times and pop the shield, or be smart burst once shoot to remove the rest then burst on target. I think Tone overall is in a good spot and it is the interplay between other titans that needs to be looked at, not only that but their perks. Abilities should be able to cancel out other abilities so to speak. I don't like the blanket damage model but understand that it makes things easier overall.

Edit: I feel changes like this will make the game more skill oriented VS a "balance" oriented one if that makes sense. It's about managing you abilities when fighting and knowing when to use them VS what we have now which is if it's off cooldown use it for DPS.

My 2 cents.
Can't argue with this. Northstar needs hitscan at full charge , i'll take shield piercing too

My friends have Brooks since they don't need the KB/M function of the CronusMAX and they did not feel any sensible input lag. For the majority of players tournament ban or not is not a concern, like at all.

The potential for a system wide ban or drop in support is a concern for anyone. Being banned in local tournaments is not an issue for me but could be if I decided I really liked the D-Pad and wanted to use it to play fighting games, as I might enter SFV tournaments in the UK (which I will surely perform poorly at!).

If you already have an elite controller then the Brook seems like a good option, but if you're buying a new pad specifically for this purpose then it seems like a risk that isn't worth taking. Also, your right that most people wouldn't notice the inpug lag, but small differences in input lag across devices do become noticable. A frame or two from your monitor, a frame or two from your controller, it stacks up and does affect the gamefeel, even as a non-competitive player it becomes less fun to play a game that feels less responsive, even when differences are slight.

A lot of people are deaf to that type of thing anyway though. Like screentearing and other technical issues, there are vast numbers of consumers that can cope with worse performance than I. For instance many of the new 4K TVs have 30+ ms of input lag, an extra two frames would bug the hell out of me, and I'd notice it right away. Heck, TVs in general are pretty poor for gaming, yet people still game on them. Slight advantages in colour reproduction are more significant to consumers than responsiveness, which always bafffles me as I place the gameplay over the aesthetic, and only one of those qualities really affects how you experience moment to moment gameplay.

RedFury

The R-97 is still not a good weapon.
I think it's amazing, how do you use it? You certainly can't ADS like a assault rifle or any other SMG for that matter but when used at its sweet spot it kills as fast or faster than the shotguns at a much better range. My best advice use it like the EVA and shoot from the hip. You'll also reach ranges you would normally not reach with it. I wouldn't be apposed to another buff to my Ripsaw-97 though.

Alx

I'm having trouble using the R97 too, I think it's my lowest level weapon, even grenade launcher are higher. I'm trying to fire from the hip, but against moving targets it's more "spray and pray", and you need too many bullets on target to kill a pilot. His own weapon will usually kill me first.

RedFury

I'm having trouble using the R97 too, I think it's my lowest level weapon, even grenade launcher are higher. I'm trying to fire from the hip, but against moving targets it's more "spray and pray", and you need too many bullets on target to kill a pilot. His own weapon will usually kill me first.
Hmm...it's pretty accurate in my experience. I run extended mag and shoot while sprinting. I can occasionally get 3 kills per mag.

jeffc919

Am I saying something weird when I say the netcode in this game is balls? I get shot behind cover, shot when phase shifted, lagspikes all the time and I keep hearing hitsounds without doing damage. Not to mention all the times stuff like melee and executions don't work. It's all so inconsistent.

The suggestion a few pages back to open up NAT filtering and disable UPnP seems to have solved my lag spikes issue. Either that or I have just been unusually lucky in the 10-15 games since then. I have a NetGear Nighthawk router.

I think it's amazing, how do you use it? You certainly can't ADS like a assault rifle or any other SMG for that matter but when used at its sweet spot it kills as fast or faster than the shotguns at a much better range. My best advice use it like the EVA and shoot from the hip. You'll also reach ranges you would normally not reach with it. I wouldn't be apposed to another buff to my Ripsaw-97 though.

I know how to effectively use an SMG. Probably due to its lack of consistency past a certain (very low) range.

The potential for a system wide ban or drop in support is a concern for anyone. Being banned in local tournaments is not an issue for me but could be if I decided I really liked the D-Pad and wanted to use it to play fighting games, as I might enter SFV tournaments in the UK (which I will surely perform poorly at!).

If you already have an elite controller then the Brook seems like a good option, but if you're buying a new pad specifically for this purpose then it seems like a risk that isn't worth taking. Also, your right that most people wouldn't notice the inpug lag, but small differences in input lag across devices do become noticable. A frame or two from your monitor, a frame or two from your controller, it stacks up and does affect the gamefeel, even as a non-competitive player it becomes less fun to play a game that feels less responsive, even when differences are slight.

A lot of people are deaf to that type of thing anyway though. Like screentearing and other technical issues, there are vast numbers of consumers that can cope with worse performance than I. For instance many of the new 4K TVs have 30+ ms of input lag, an extra two frames would bug the hell out of me, and I'd notice it right away. Heck, TVs in general are pretty poor for gaming, yet people still game on them. Slight advantages in colour reproduction are more significant to consumers than responsiveness, which always bafffles me as I place the gameplay over the aesthetic, and only one of those qualities really affects how you experience moment to moment gameplay.
Oh man, now i'm afraid to hear what you think of TLG...

FStop7

Banned
Oh right, double XP weekend

Does it stack with 2x XP codes (that I don''t have cause Europe >_>)

No but double XP does apply to happy hour. Those sweet 10 merit bursts.

Gonna try to get to lvl 50 on Xbone and G2.50 on PS4 this weekend. Not sure if I'll regen again.

FStop7

Banned
Whatever I don't like is OP and needs to be nerfed immediately WTF Respawn

Whatever I like is UP and needs to be buffed immediately WTF Respawn

dankir

I don't understand how to kill with the Cold War, it's the worst weapon I tried yet :D

You have to fire where the pilot is going to be because it has to load up before it fires.

I'm really bad with it and the Mastiff, my on the fly aiming skills need work. Assault Rifles and SMGs for me.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Sigh. I kinda wasted my happy hour match since it put me in a match already in progress with Titans on the ground already. I really hate it when that happens, and it almost always happens to me. Seriously, it's really making me NOT play the game at all.

And just like that, happened AGAIN!. Fuck! Seriously, the game is already 1/3 over and I'm getting a loss for it?? WTF?!

deoee

You have to fire where the pilot is going to be because it has to load up before it fires.

I'm really bad with it and the Mastiff, my on the fly aiming skills need work. Assault Rifles and SMGs for me.

Yeah I know it has a wind up time but man.

You need to connect like 3-4 shots to kill :|

Also I totally forgot how to use the Alternator :D :D

E92 M3

Sigh. I kinda wasted my happy hour match since it put me in a match already in progress with Titans on the ground already. I really hate it when that happens, and it almost always happens to me. Seriously, it's really making me NOT play the game at all.

And just like that, happened AGAIN!. Fuck! Seriously, the game is already 1/3 over and I'm getting a loss for it?? WTF?!

Game in progress needs changing. I propose that it's automatic loss/stat protection (unless it's a win) and a guaranteed merit.
It will keep the population happy.

(This is for any point threshold above 10 or if the game is past 100 points in attrition)

Makikou

Man this is not fun at all.

I've played 44 games and won 11. Probably 30 of the losses have been absolute buttrape by experienced players. Enemy team having 3-4 titans all game meanwhile my team can get one which someone then calls and obviously the enemy come and rekt it immediately.

This is so pointless to play this game as a new player. No wonder they struggle to get more.

HelloMeow

About the phase shift thing, there is a small delay between when your screen changes colors and when you're actually invincible as I'm sure you know. As far as I can tell this isn't netcode (as it's pretty consistent regardless of network conditions) but just a mismatch between the visuals and function.

Yeah, I get hit well after that.

And it begins. Come around Gaf, come around.

The next series of tweaks should be this:
ON CONSOLE (sorry i don't care about PC. please go away PC and stop ruining my party)

• Return Volt to glory. Or at least half way to what it was
  • Either increase boost percentage for Pilot Sentry or decrease it's health/accuracy
  • Decrease Hemlock rate of fire a tiny bit. Possibly do something about the ease of getting headshots and tracking targets.
  • Decrease G2A range
  • Decrease Devotion damage/range/clip size and increase it's time to reload.
  • Reduce player GLOW for god sakes. It'd be nice if the faster you move the less glow you have. The more you sit around the more glow you have. That'd be a novel idea yeah? Probably takes some coding wizard but it'd be fucking genius.
  • Take away Tone's ability to paint targets with sonar and be done with tweaking her already.
  • For the love of... please place all playlists on one page so i can play CTF throughout the day and not only on peak hours
These changes and this game would be 100x better.

Volt feels great. What was better about it before? Right now I cant tell the difference between Volt and Car.

I think Pilot Sentry is okay where it is. Maybe use cloak to get behind it? I notice a popular trick is to camp it out with the turret. Maybe it should also be vulnerable to things like Electric Smoke.

I think I agree with Hemlock, in so far as it feels very accurate at long range, with the default scope. I should be forced to use a bigger scope if I want to nail people on Homestead, but I seem to do fine with the default optics, likely because of the aim assist.

I am not sure I want to see player glow reduced. I think it would make camping in dark areas much more viable. right now, I am able to quickly notice glowing enemies who are stationary. In modes with A.I, it helps that they stick out too. I think making them blend in with AI and dark corners would hurt the game. Actually, tying it to your movement sounds kind of neat.

Tone's sonar should go to Northstar IMO. I still would like to see her nerfed as the particle wall/rockets/lock on rockets/core ability/speed seems way too devastating. It makes no sense that she can hide behind a giant shield AND shoot the most devastating firepower. Her lock on rockets also reload so much faster than any other ability like firewall or the Ion laser shot

CTF is fantastic. I think it needs a much stricter filtering though. Respawn needs to remove bad maps like Complex from it. Keep the few maps that play excellently on it. Blackwater, Angel City, Boomtown, Drydock, Exoplanet, Eden... basically, remove Complex, Crash Site, and Homestead, as they totally kill the mode and give a bad impression.

CTF needs some promotion like double merits or whatever. Maybe it needs more tweak than that. Maybe they should reduce the respawn timer and allow players to throw the flag with momentum.

Hardpoint also needs to be tweaked, but Ive already complained enough about it.

E92 M3

I've played 44 games and won 11. Probably 30 of the losses have been absolute buttrape by experienced players. Enemy team having 3-4 titans all game meanwhile my team can get one which someone then calls and obviously the enemy come and rekt it immediately.

This is so pointless to play this game as a new player. No wonder they struggle to get more.

Everyone starts of bad; that's how you get better. Also, the game is growing every single day. It takes time to become proficient at a new shooter.

Winning isn't the most important thing.

What is your FPS history?

You don't buy tickets, you get them from Advocate Gifts.

Why is the rate so low? And it shows I can spend 10 in game credits for one ticket.

Why isn't this mode just open like the others? It was super fun the one time I played.

Seriously having this mode be locked out and forcin the players to have tickets is stupid

Makikou

Everyone starts of bad; that's how you get better. Also, the game is growing every single day. It takes time to become proficient at a new shooter.

Winning isn't the most important thing.

What is your FPS history?

BFBC2, BF3, Squad, BF2:pR, some CoD like Blops 1 & 2 and Advanced Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch Destiny, Quake Live. Sure I missed something.

I've been 8 times MVP, top 3 34 times out of 44 matches.

2.2k/d but that doesnt really mean anything I guess. I like the leaderboards go by objective.

But it's pointless to play and you won't learn anything when youre infantry, 4 enemies are on titans and just collect all bounty. You get insta-rekt if you go challenge.

dankir

Don't play with randoms get a group a going. The game is chaotic but if you don't know what you're doing yeah you'll get rekt. Team coordination helps a lot.

deoee

Why not invite your network?

E92 M3

BFBC2, BF3, Squad, BF2:pR, some CoD like Blops 1 & 2 and Advanced Warfare, Team Fortress 2, Overwatch Destiny, Quake Live. Sure I missed something.

I've been 8 times MVP, top 3 34 times out of 44 matches.

2.2k/d but that doesnt really mean anything I guess. I like the leaderboards go by objective.

But it's pointless to play and you won't learn anything when youre infantry, 4 enemies are on titans and just collect all bounty. You get insta-rekt if you go challenge.

Well, are you using your Titan or attacking the enemy titans as a pilot? Also, I think attrition is better for solo play - a lot more fun. Bounty Hunt is a more team oriented gametype.

Is GAF network lively and active?

What does the title mean? "Don't misgender tone" It bothers me.

I know one of the Titan name is Tone. From that information alone I can come up with the thought that perhaps Tone is not a male Titan (if Titans can have gender/sex) but female.

I don't see how it is bothersome. .

Makikou

Why not invite your network?

Dont know any good networks.

Well, are you using your Titan or attacking the enemy titans as a pilot? Also, I think attrition is better for solo play - a lot more fun. Bounty Hunt is a more team oriented gametype.

Take a titan, enemy gets notified and come gang up (as they should in that situation, it's not their fault).

Even if you manage to land with another player, thats still a 1-2 titan advantage for the enemy. I like playing Ion, Scorch and Tone btw.

Yeah but if you're using it like an EVA why not use an EVA?

Feels like every other SMG in the game has a higher TTK too. Perhaps this isn't the case if you land every shot, but that doesn't seem practical, and you sacrifice a lot of versatility for something which doesn't have a clear benefit. If you want to narrow your playstyle down to close-range only, then the EVA is far and away the better option.

deoee

Take a titan, enemy gets notified and come gang up (as they should in that situation, it's not their fault).

Even if you manage to land with another player, thats still a 1-2 titan advantage for the enemy. I like playing Ion, Scorch and Tone btw.

Just join the Reddit or GiantBomb one (if you're on PC) they always have plenty of decent players around.
It really makes things easier :D

Edit: You can also hold your Titan back until someone else has his ready so you aren't getting swarmed.

E92 M3

Hmm, I can give you a lot of Tone tips later. I would kill 3 or 4 titans in one life. Ion is very good, too.

And you should still try Attrition. It's all I play solo.

Makikou

Just join the Reddit or GiantBomb one (if you're on PC) they always have plenty of decent players around.
It really makes things easier :D
I'm on PS4.

Hmm, I can give you a lot of Tone tips later. I would kill 3 or 4 titans in one life. Ion is very good, too.

And you should still try Attrition. It's all I play solo.

I'm sure a skilled player can make a bigger difference. All i'm saying is that I promise no one likes to get destroyed for hours on end hoping to improve. Thats not how you motivate people to play tbh.

Top Bottom