• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

renzolama

I took a break from TF2 to play some other titles a few weeks after launch. Having booted up the game again recently, I just want to express some sincere appreciation and admiration for the Advanced Look Controls menu. As someone who has been playing games, writing software, and toying (obsessively) with hardware since the early 90s, this is probably the neatest and most helpful/informative controller input menu I've ever seen in a AAA console game. It demonstrates a tremendous amount of respect for the intelligence and dedication of the player base. Not only does it include an exhaustive set of variables to tweak, it attempts to explain each of them and even provides dynamic visualizations to support the player's tweaking efforts.

Regardless of how you feel about Titanfall1/2 as games, or Microsoft/EA as a publisher, I hope people are able to recognize that Respawn is a uniquely talented/experienced FPS development group who really care about the people who play their games. They've gotten the short end of the stick from publishers on both Titanfall releases, and the sales of their games are criminally low in respect to the quality of what they're producing, but at every opportunity they continue to display a sincere love of their industry, their products, and their audience.

Please, recognize and support the efforts of this studio. It will be a tremendous loss to this industry and genre if development studios like Respawn aren't valued the way they should be.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Those dealing with a lot of Tones, I suggest using Ion or Ronin. I've lost count how many times I've killed more than five Titans in one match as Ronin. I usually pick off Tones with Ronin as well. Just dash and cross the Particle Shield and Tone is toast since you can fire off four shotgun rounds, slice, phase behind them and unload four more shots. Usually that's enough to kill a Tone. Add in Arc slashes and it's easy.

I can share clips if anyone's interested. Just don't fight a Tone head on at a distance. I usually run and then flank them from another route before attacking. For Scorch, Legion and other Titans, just keep on slashing and wait for them to use their dash, then Nuke Eject in their faces.

I agree there's a lot of Tone users out there, but I honestly don't find her OP. Ion, Ronin, even Scorch in tight maps (Complex, Crash Site) can deal with her.

And count me in the camp that doesn't want everything nerfed. I get killed by Sentry Turrets, Hemlock, etc. but c'mon, guys. Nerfing everything because you get killed by it isn't the answer. I'm kinda glad Respawn isn't posting here agreeing with those and I gather, they have backend data to check what's OP and what isn't. :)

Izuna

Banned
Things that I miss when going back to R1
  • sliding (not slidehopping)
  • FoV slider
  • auto-eject being default on loadouts (it's SO hard to Goose with the 40mm holy shit)

My lifetime KD in R1 is 1.8 (and that's with all the grinding I did for unlocks)... That means I'm just better at the original.

My goodness, the Xbox One S plays this game perfectly ;O

deoee

Can only find Attrition or Pilots vs. Pilots ;( and Attrition has only the same people online.

New York network here I come, I guess.

Aren't you from UK?

Use mainland EU data centers.

There's 150 people looking for BH on PC (!) and ~4000 online.

Can't be lower on other platforms :D

Izuna

Banned
R1

4WvfIdU.gif

R2

hmMyV56.gif

hmmm

(can't wait for OT2, you guys are gunna love it)

KodaRuss

I've said it a lot but PVE can't come soon enough. I miss Frontier Defense so much. Please announce it soon, Respawn.

How did Frontier Defense work? I feel like any decent team will take forever to die. The NPCs in MP are a joke outside of the occasional rambo reaper.

Izuna

Banned
To be fair you don't hit every shot with the CAR unlike the Hemlock.
All in all it looks like the CAR kills the Pilot in 4-5 shots.

My point is, even if I used the CAR like that, the exact same way in R2, he still would have died very quick. In R1 the CAR was the most used weapon along with the R-101... This is why people say the TTK is different.

You get destroyed in R2 more frequently and so easily, that everyone on the server is like one of the better R1 players with regard to Pilot weapons.

Meccs

The tickrate feels really awful in TF2. Thank god they have kill cams so you at least see the "BS" that just happened.

HelloMeow

My point is, even if I used the CAR like that, the exact same way in R2, he still would have died very quick. In R1 the CAR was the most used weapon along with the R-101... This is why people say the TTK is different.

You get destroyed in R2 more frequently and so easily, that everyone on the server is like one of the better R1 players with regard to Pilot weapons.

Did you notice how much harder it is to tell pilots apart from the minions? That's the first thing that stood out to me when I played Titanfall 1 again.

Keihart

Its absolutely true that the game needs some kind of SBMM behind the scenes to ease new players in. The amount/impact can decrease inverse to time played up to a point, but Ive bought this game for 3 friends. They all loved the campaign but bounced off mp, because I cant play with them every day, every match.

At some point they figured theyd rather wait for competitive matches in Overwatch than jump immediately into lopsided sodomizations in TitanFall 2.

The only SBMM that needs in my opinion is separating full parties from the rest or only pairing them against experienced players. As in any game and even more to an extent, fighting agains a full party can get frustrating quickly if your team isn't one.

Izuna

Banned
Did you notice how much harder it is to tell pilots apart from the minions? That's the first thing that stood out to me when I played Titanfall 1 again.

Yes, but at the same time, noticing which ones were the Pilots felt really rewarding. It was like picking out the higher point baddies in an older game, that move faster and are worth more.

SwolBro

Banned
I took a break from TF2 to play some other titles a few weeks after launch. Having booted up the game again recently, I just want to express some sincere appreciation and admiration for the Advanced Look Controls menu. As someone who has been playing games, writing software, and toying (obsessively) with hardware since the early 90s, this is probably the neatest and most helpful/informative controller input menu I've ever seen in a AAA console game. It demonstrates a tremendous amount of respect for the intelligence and dedication of the player base. Not only does it include an exhaustive set of variables to tweak, it attempts to explain each of them and even provides dynamic visualizations to support the player's tweaking efforts.

Regardless of how you feel about Titanfall1/2 as games, or Microsoft/EA as a publisher, I hope people are able to recognize that Respawn is a uniquely talented/experienced FPS development group who really care about the people who play their games. They've gotten the short end of the stick from publishers on both Titanfall releases, and the sales of their games are criminally low in respect to the quality of what they're producing, but at every opportunity they continue to display a sincere love of their industry, their products, and their audience.

Please, recognize and support the efforts of this studio. It will be a tremendous loss to this industry and genre if development studios like Respawn aren't valued the way they should be.
I agree with everything you said here except that part. Microsoft saved the first game pretty much and promoted it like it was their next Halo and Gears franchise.

R1

4WvfIdU.gif

R2

hmMyV56.gif

hmmm

(can't wait for OT2, you guys are gunna love it)
I really love the look of R1 more with that crazy low key future industrial look but that's just me.

Speaking of FOV no one did any tests of the performance hits to xbox one frame rate at different points? I love my FOV higher than 90 but i feel like frame rate suffers so much. I've seen other people asking about it but no one knows.

I feel like sending Rayme a PM but i'm probably on his blist currently. = \

SwolBro

Banned
Why would you?

It's still so far away, enjoy this OT meanwhile
haha who am I kidding, seems like no one, except a few, here is enjoying the game anymore - sad :(

meanwhile reddit titanfall keeps gaining about a thousand new followers every few days.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Would be THE SAME around here if we still were in Gaming ;)

It's nice to know that in general the community is growing

Has anyone PMed a mod and gotten a response about that? Maybe someone pissed a mod off or something? Really odd. I don't recall games being put in Community when it's this active.

Infinite Warfare's OT is like, dead. No one posts anything, except the same people over and over. I mean, it's the same here, but mostly due to it being in Community now. When it was in Gaming, it got new people posting.

SwolBro

Banned
Has anyone PMed a mod and gotten a response about that? Maybe someone pissed a mod off or something? Really odd. I don't recall games being put in Community when it's this active.

Infinite Warfare's OT is like, dead. No one posts anything, except the same people over and over. I mean, it's the same here, but mostly due to it being in Community now. When it was in Gaming, it got new people posting.

were there ever OT2's in gaming? i swore i saw Overwatch there forever. the new OT should be placed back there.

deoee

I messaged a mod and was ignored
So I dunno what's up...
Someone else try?

were there ever OT2's in gaming? i swore i saw Overwatch there forever. the new OT should be placed back there.

I think Division and Destiny were in Gaming until several OTs in.

Keihart

a52.gif

Oh yeah I really hope they improve the map choice algorithm soon.

The moment to moment action is so good, I can play match after match.
Only thing that makes me quit are a few shite matches in a row tbh. Like getting dominated by Tones or just being outplayed constantly :D

Only other FPS that was like this is Rainbow 6 imo.

good taste, R6S and Titanfall 2 are my most played online shooters this gen, unexpectedly amazing games for me.

deoee

good taste, R6S and Titanfall 2 are my most played online shooters this gen, unexpectedly amazing games for me.

RB6 is plagued by so many bugs while waiting and joining a game as a team that we dropped it after 2 months.
It took AGES to get into a match witch 4 people >_>

Meccs

I think the one thing that makes me not wanna play TF2 that much is the imbalance that gets created when your team suddenly has no titans and the enemy team has almost if not all their titans. I get that this is sometimes due to good work and most of the time you can overcome that in the end but it's still something that doesn't feel right. Especially since everyone is just using Tone and his weapon combined with the sonar lock makes him pretty much the pilot killer.

Apart from that I'm still having issues finding Grunts to kill in Attrition. I dunno, I feel it was easier in TF1. How do you guys locate the pods? I have also encountered now several Spectre spawns that rush out and then suddenly seem to disappear. I was running behind them, they went inside a building and then were gone. There was nothing there that could have killed them. Strange.

SwolBro

Banned
All this Tone talk everywhere. There's such a simple goddamn fix for this titan.
  1. Sonar pulse should not paint targets.
  2. Sonar pulse should take longer to replenish.
There, done. Tone is balanced.

And because everyone goes on about Northstar as well-

Simple fix? Make her shot projectile travel really fast, almost hit scan like. BOOM Northstar is a beast. Gawd, someone needs to hire me as a game developer =D

Izuna

Banned
Apart from that I'm still having issues finding Grunts to kill in Attrition. I dunno, I feel it was easier in TF1. How do you guys locate the pods? I have also encountered now several Spectre spawns that rush out and then suddenly seem to disappear. I was running behind them, they went inside a building and then were gone. There was nothing there that could have killed them. Strange.

There are just far less of them spawning in R2 -- it's also far more likely that you're going to be picked off.

And because everyone goes on about Northstar as well-

Simple fix? Make her shot projectile travel really fast, almost hit scan like. BOOM Northstar is a beast. Gawd, someone needs to hire me as a game developer =D

That would be a terrible idea ;/ fully charged shot is already hit-scan like. Her DPS is horrific, and what she is supposed to have in return is a lot of burst damage. Sadly, if Tone puts up a fucking wall that's basically it.

I tried the Particle Wall a little bit in R1... I really miss how dashing up to a Titan and popping smoke was a strat.

Respawn made it hard for themselves with this shuffle and rebalance. It was okay to keep their good ideas and not need to change stuff that weren't objectively better choices.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com

Yeah, it should. I think there were a few instances where an OT2 was in Gaming.

I messaged a mod and was ignored
So I dunno what's up...
Someone else try?

I think Division and Destiny were in Gaming until several OTs in.

Yep. Whom did people message?

---

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed at TF2's matchmaking. I constantly get put into matches with 200-300ms pings! WTF?! Like, seriously? Why??? There's more than 12K players already on PS4, I'm sure there's someone closer to me, right?

SwolBro

Banned
I feel like Northstar's shot travel time about the same regardless of charge.
Yeah not sure what he's talking about. But the mobility factor is an issue. You can't escape so easily with your titan in this game .

After hitting gen 10 I gotta admit that despite initially enjoying the titan combat in this the titanfall 1 titans are infinitely more complex and deep which makes them so much more fun to play.

The titan combat in 1 was every bit as fast and crazy as the pilot combat. Not so here, they're clunky machines with little variability

deoee

Yeah, it should. I think there were a few instances where an OT2 was in Gaming.

Yep. Whom did people message?

---

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed at TF2's matchmaking. I constantly get put into matches with 200-300ms pings! WTF?! Like, seriously? Why??? There's more than 12K players already on PS4, I'm sure there's someone closer to me, right?

I messaged Nirolak.

Yeah not sure what he's talking about. But the mobility factor is an issue. You can't escape so easily with your titan in this game .

After hitting gen 10 I gotta admit that despite initially enjoying the titan combat in this the titanfall 1 titans are infinitely more complex and deep which makes them so much more fun to play.

The titan combat in 1 was every bit as fast and crazy as the pilot combat. Not so here, they're clunky machines with little variability

I feel like this is due to the balancing issues regarding the Titans.
I'm confident that Respawn can and will adjust properly and make alle the Titans viable and more "fair" to play (*cough Northstars crit spot*)

Izuna

Banned
I'm sick of being anyone except Tone because bad match-ups as a Titan is fucking frustrating. I've said it before, but I don't enjoy being a counter to another Titan, and I really don't enjoy facing my counter. I want a 1v1. My weapon can be better suited for the situation, but not outright "LOL Legion, what are you going to do vs. my Flame Shield?"

Especially since Tone doesn't have any counter, a team full of Tones means you don't have any real weakspots. It's even worse because of how much Tone improves her teammates. If there is going to be a downside to Tone, I think Northstar deserves to be the reason.

E92 M3

I think Tone has already been nerfed too much and people just love to complain.Tones have always been easy kills for me. Buff Northstar and we're gucci ;).

Personally, I love this game more than TF1. The slide is just so fucking COOL.

Top Bottom