• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

KodaRuss

Alright had a blast tonight. One match I hit 4400 points which was awesome. Night TitanGaf maybe I'll see ya tomorrow if I have time.

FeD.nL

Amped Hardpoint really is my thing. Played Hardpoint almost exclusively in TiF and I can see that happening again in this one. It's really amazing how a thing like 'capture a point twice for 2x points' can completely change the dynamic of the mode.

Pro-Tip: Use the Firestar on Titans! It does a load of damage and it's netted me tons of Titan kills since it sticks onto the Titan and drains their health until it burns out. Plus, it racks up cash on Bounty Hunter.

Animator

Pro-Tip: Use the Firestar on Titans! It does a load of damage and it's netted me tons of Titan kills since it sticks onto the Titan and drains their health until it burns out. Plus, it racks up cash on Bounty Hunter.

I discovered this today as well. Also, nailing a pilot with firestar will never get old.

God damn this game is chaotic but I love it so far. Joined the GAF network on xbone, whatever that means.

Helps find others who are online to party up that much easier.

Also, holy shit at this campaign, it is so good. THIS is what I expect from the COD4 guys. One hell of a fps.

KingV

What titans are you guys feeling hits the hardest?

Personally I like tone and northstar. Both of them are better as supporting titans than running around by themselves though.

Tone is an anti pilot monster. He's great for picking rodeoing pilots off your teammates. North stars snipes just give out tons of damage if you hit their critical.

Dying for the post office to open to get my copy from Gamefly. I only have until the 8th before my trial ends but I need to play this game! I just hope it doesn't make IW underwhelming.

Alx

Is it possible to throw away a battery you're carrying ? Sometimes when your titan dies or your allies have run away, you're all alone in the map with that huge "kill me" target on your head that everyone can see...

Izuna

Banned

Izuna

Banned
Shrug. When I want Titans I play LTS. When I want both then I play the mixed modes. They each meet different needs.

I love nothing more than murdering Pilots from a Titan.
55531-200.png

After giving PvP more time, I realise how wrong I am about it not being "Titanfall". The mix of abilities and weapons is really something.

Alx

Hmm, that indicator is only temporary and only the Titan who you stole it from can see that. It lasts about 10 seconds or so?

Is it ? But 10s is a long time already. And even ignoring the indicator, the bright green light attached to your character is damning enough as it is.
I can see it's part of the risk/reward mechanism, but if there's a way to reduce that risk, I'd rather know. :)

Izuna

Banned
Is it ? But 10s is a long time already. And even ignoring the indicator, the bright green light attached to your character is damning enough as it is.
I can see it's part of the risk/reward mechanism, but if there's a way to reduce that risk, I'd rather know. :)

Well, you could use Stim and move away. You have to remember, it's only that Titan. Just pop somewhere he can't follow you. Ofc he can tell him on-foot soldiers (hehe) where you might be.

When I first played R2, I'd Rodeo Titans with no regard for my surroundings because I knew I could out-manoeuvre a Titan (hop off or make him damage himself with cluster etc.) -- but in this, you do have to be more mindful of when you do so.

--------------

For those who hated not having smoke or a shield in their Titan, give Overcore and Spare Battery (boost) combo a go. I currently use it to activate a cheap Smart Core almost instantly, but if you're in a Stryder or Atlas build Titan you wouldn't need an extra boost or anything, so why not?

All you gotta do is hit one thing and you got smoke and the first pilot who Rodeos ain't doing much to you anyway.

btkadams

So I've played the last few call of duty games' multiplayer and they've felt really blah... the movement has been cool but it just didn't capture my attention for very long. The FIRST match of this game had me hooked today. I hope it keeps going like this. The movement feels SO GOOD and the variety in the matches with both titans and pilots is really cool.

SwolBro

Banned
finished the campaign. first campaign i have finished in a long long time.

it's way too short. i wanted more. EA now knows this franchise can be an amazing single player experience. For the next one they double down and make it a 10 hour masterpiece

ZehDon

Just done with a two hour multi session. Oh, boy. Titanfall 2 is the real deal, folks. Terrific campaign, impossibly good multiplayer. I love that in just two hours, I'm already looking at the maps differently, more like Mirrors Edge. I'm looking for runs, streamlined paths to and around points, and when the snaps start, ways to high tail it out of there. The mobility at play here is just managed so well, unlike anything I've played. It's part of the rhythm. The dance. Chaining rodeos, sliding getaways. Playing something like Destiny's cruicble is going to feel laughable now. Last time I had this much fun with multi was Halo 2. And I wasted years on that game.

One unfortunate thing I can say about the campaign is that western developers continue their streak of uninspired adds filled boss fights.

BUT, at least they tried. Better than those that just give up.

Viper was the only one that stood out slightly due to him being an actual flying Titan.

Izuna

Banned
Okay, I'm a little rested. Now I'll play the Campaign and bang it out. Let's see if it really does live up to Wolf.

EL CUCO

Credits rolling on my Master playthrough.

WHAT A RIDE!

I didnt plan on finishing it tonight but I couldn't put it down.

Good stuff, Respawn.

grmlin

I'm not very good at competitive online FPS these days, but had tons of fun with Titanfall.

I loved that I could jump in alone and never had the feeling I'm overwhelmed by crazy teams of pros.

How does TF2 feel? Anyone here with my background? I would play it on PC as I will never get better with a controller on my PS4.

Thanks!

Alx

I'm not very good at competitive online FPS these days, but had tons of fun with Titanfall.

I loved that I could jump in alone and never had the feeling I'm overwhelmed by crazy teams of pros.

How does TF2 feel? Anyone here with my background? I would play it on PC as I will never get better with a controller on my PS4.

Thanks!

I had the same experience with the first TF, the only multiplayer shooter I've played in decades, and its sequel feels just as comfortable. Still only playing Attrition though. :p

grmlin

I had the same experience with the first TF, the only multiplayer shooter I've played in decades, and its sequel feels just as comfortable. Still only playing Attrition though. :p

Uh, great!

I need them grunts, it always felt like I helped even if I was destroyed by other players lol

edit: I tried so many FPSs online the last years, Battlefield, Battlefront, some CoD, and I always was like: no, I'm to old to learn this shit. But I still miss Titanfall.

Toa TAK

Banned
One unfortunate thing I can say about the campaign is that western developers continue their streak of uninspired adds filled boss fights.

BUT, at least they tried. Better than those that just give up.

Viper was the only one that stood out slightly due to him being an actual flying Titan.
Dude was the only one that was a challenge for me.

Straight up a pain in the ass. Ended up just using the rifle class to take him out.

No honeymoon phase or exaggeration, this is the best feeling FPS I've ever played on a controller in terms of raw inputs, aiming, and movement fluidity. The slide alone puts every other FPS slide to shame, not to mention the buttery smooth wallrunning. So many smart little things done here from pre-loading slides in midair as well as pre-loading sprint no matter how you're moving, to wall clinging from any direction, etc. Gunplay is also really strong with satisfying mid-range hip firing, sprint shooting, great hit marker sounds, great reloading and weapon handling animations (<3 how you turn the weapon while crouching), and really punchy weapon sounds. Huge step up from their CoD days (I never got a chance to play the first Titanfall)

My one really big glaring question mark is map design. There are 4 maps here that are just straight up weird:

- Forwardbase Kodai + Homestead: Central base surrounded by wide open fields where pilot gameplay is uninteresting and dangerous. Predictable match flow. The grunt war at the middle of both is fun in AI modes, but everything else feels like random space.​

- Crashsite + Complex: Long and linear hallways connected to converging hot zones. Very little room for vertical escapes / firefights, and combat is funneled to simple choke points, particularly with Titans who have no room to maneuver. Honestly kind of tedious maps to move through. Also, AI are annoying to track in these because the long paths lead to slow movement and lots of dead zones.​

The other half:

- Eden is great with a very clear landmark using the track running through the center, lots of wallrunning routes, and escape paths everywhere. Easily the standout map.​
- Drydock, Exoplanet, and Black Water Canal are solid, although fairly nondescript. They allow Titanfall to be Titanfall and flow well, but don't do anything very interesting.​
- Boomtown is ok, but has revealed itself to be a lesser Black Water Canal, featuring a similar "bridge over lower level ditch" layout, but with smaller and less interesting buildings​

So idk. 1 great map, 3 solid role players, 1 "ehh whatever", and 4 "nopes". I'd really like to see a move to more dense, free flowing, vertical map design for the DLC. Long hallways and open spaces don't play well with Titanfall.

Izuna

Banned
It's strange that Crash Site and Complex are being put into the same category. I love the former but can't stand the latter.

The hills and spawns in Crash Site make it very fun.

duckroll

Beat the campaign. Holy fucking shit what a ride. I can see why some people feel the ending is a bit open ended, but it was really satisfying nonetheless. The final stage, the final boss fight, and the final gauntlet were all cool as hell. I hope the hooks they left are for a SP expansion out next year rather than TF3's campaign lol. I want more more more more more. Pls.

GrazGamer

I probably won't touch the MP on this, I never have with COD either, but I have loved the original Infinity Ward and their campaigns since the original COD so when Respawn was formed I knew one day they would be back with a Campaign worth waiting for and it sounds like this is that campaign.

Was going to wait until my birthday in a month but fuck it, downloading now. Can't wait!

Marvel

could never
Beat the campaign. Holy fucking shit what a ride. I can see why some people feel the ending is a bit open ended, but it was really satisfying nonetheless. The final stage, the final boss fight, and the final gauntlet were all cool as hell. I hope the hooks they left are for a SP expansion out next year rather than TF3's campaign lol. I want more more more more more. Pls.
Nice, gonna finish mine up today then back to MP.

Amped Hardpoint really is my thing. Played Hardpoint almost exclusively in TiF and I can see that happening again in this one. It's really amazing how a thing like 'capture a point twice for 2x points' can completely change the dynamic of the mode.

Same for me. Lived in Hardpoint mode in the first one and it's nice to jump straight into the Amped version here. Finishing as best player in my team/winning 90% of matches I've played so far feels good too!

Only thing that feels a bit different is the wall hanging ability. May be mis-remembering but wasn't it longer (infinite?) in the first game?

It's strange that Crash Site and Complex are being put into the same category. I love the former but can't stand the latter.

The hills and spawns in Crash Site make it very fun.

Crash Site does have some interesting slopes, but those long connecting paths and lack of an upper level for pilots to escape/chase each other and pick away at Titans just kills it for me. There's also a TON of protruding rocks and bits of metal that mess with wallrunning flow. I don't know, it's just an awkward map to play on. I group it and Complex together because they give me similar feelings of running around areas instead of through and over them, just to finally reach combat that's occurring on a horizontal plane.

Also, grunts not moving towards combat with other players or each other looks strange, and is probably part of the reason why some people have complained about their use in this game. Seems like the more spread out the map, the more some of them have a tendency to group together and find a corner to wait for a pilot to pass.

Well if we weren't already sure this released at the wrong time, there is only 15k people online right now on ps4! 1/10! of battlefield 1 :( this saddens me greatly

Top Bottom