• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Gator86

It's a great counter to slow moving titans. It's useless if the enemy has a single dash. It's probably the simplest thing to play around.

It's not rocket science how to counter it. I even mentioned using a dash core. I think it's just skill-free bullshit in the vein of martyrdom or something from COD. Just because something isn't effective in all cases doesn't mean it's not a dumb mechanic.

That's also to say nothing of my teammates where I've had games with a single Ronin just obliterating 3 or 4 people who continuously cluster up. Yeah, you are going to lose when your teammates do dumb stuff, but it's a joyless to lose simply because of a Ronin suiciding over and over on hapless randoms you're playing it.

Arrrammis

Scorch is kinda useless for me besides fucking up mobs in Attrition. I can't hold my own against enemy titans with him. Tips?

I love scorch, but he is pretty useless in large areas.
Try to trap enemy titans. The fire wall can be really useful for area control, especially if you're fighting someone in a straight alley or lane where they can't escape (it does 3+ bars of damage if the enemy titan is stuck in the flames). Also, have a piece of cover between you and the enemy whenever possible. Your main damage comes from fire that you put on the ground, not the direct damage from your shots.

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the clan tag NeOGAF on PS4 seems to be the most populated of the two.

It was created during the tech test.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Whoever decided to put random messages on your titan's HUD when you eject from a titan is one of my favorite people. Among the regular battle lines, I've also seen
"Fly, you fool!"
"Never give up, Never surrender"
My favorite is "Nothing but the rain". I know I haven't seen them all yet, but nothing will top that for me.

Arrrammis

Not sure if this has been mentioned but the clan tag NeOGAF on PS4 seems to be the most populated of the two.

It was created during the tech test.

Yeah. I joined both, and I check the TitanGaf clan(?) occasionally and there has never been more that 4 people online. Every time I went to the NeoGaf tag, I saw ~20 people online.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Scorch is kinda useless for me besides fucking up mobs in Attrition. I can't hold my own against enemy titans with him. Tips?

Do you use his gas canisters to engulf the floor with flames? Chuck it where Titans are, send a shot or fire of wall to ignite it and watch everything burn. I even managed to killa Pilot who was hiding inside a structure that way. XD

JJShadow

Anyone knows how to create a party in-game? Or just how to invite people from your network to your session? Cannot find the option :/ (PS4)

Marvel

could never
K, I give up.

So many hours wasted these past couple days just getting booted back to back, every single game I try to join. Tried almost everything.

Pains me man, easily my fave FPS.

So can you not change your helmet or anything only reason I ask is there were different helmets in the beta.
Specifically the female helmet that looked like an emote.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
K, I give up.

So many hours wasted these past couple days just getting booted back to back, every single game I try to join. Tried almost everything.

Pains me man, easily my fave FPS.

That sucks, I had a similar issue with Halo 5. Multiplayer lagged out, co-op campaign lagged out. Some kind of semi-rare issue for Time Warner users as best as I can tell. I still haven't played that game even though I understand that it was apparently fixed a few months later.

Just finished the campaign. Loved every second of it. I don't understand the length complaints, it's just as long as it needs to be. It's tight, focused, and most importantly: fun.

Can't wait to dive into Multiplayer. This may end up being my personal game of the year if that aspect holds up.

i´ve got a question. I had to stop playing the first game due too the FOV being to low, (yes, 90 is too low for me, i need at least around 100º horizontal fov), it gave me headaches after an hour so, anyone on PC with similar problems with the first one has the same with this? The game looks amazing and i really liked the movement in the first one, but i can´t buy a game that gives me headaches, i suffer from migraines so it´s a big no for me

Izuna

Banned
They deserve a medal of honor for answering the call of duty and giving Titanfall the story campaign it deserves.

So when I first thought about the Campaign, I thought to compare it to the best we had this gen. In my case, that was Wolfenstein: The New Order -- for a lot of other people, it's DOOM.

Thing is, I was thinking... "Yeah, I love how Titanfall plays, so I imagine the gameplay is solid, but Wolfenstein had cool set-pieces you know?" It had been so long since I have played a shooter Campaign that not only has great and solid gameplay but an amazing story to go with it.

I mean, we have had one without the other for so long, I was a teenager the last I remember the closest we got to one. It must have been when I played BioShock or Half Life 2: Episode Two.

These past few years I have watched a new Battlefield or Call of Duty come out, and I'd ask myself... "Would this one be fun to play? Or will it be shit?" I don't even consider what the story could be about. I'm not expecting a AAA experience anymore, after all, these games are built to have a lasting multiplayer -- at least until the next one in the new year.

In fact, that's why Wolfenstein: The New Order and DOOM set the bar so high. Not to proclaim that their plot performance is the same, but they did away with the subpar attempt to innovate on having modern set-pieces and just gave us a classic 90s experience. Give us exposition, tell us why we are fighting this dude, and give us a dope gun to kill them with. These games weren't Battlefield or Call of Duty, they were returning classics that were known for their solid gameplay.

Titanfall 2 doesn't belong in either of those groups. It doesn't deserve to the compared with "the best shooter Campaign this gen". Instead, it is entitled to a comparison for when Campaigns belonged to the biggest games in the market and were so good they didn't require a multiplayer or a review that said "it's actually good" to sell the game.

This Campaign isn't one of the best of this gen, it's of the best Campaigns, period.

BRB while I look up the best experiences of all time to figure out where this one stands.

So when I first thought about the Campaign, I thought to compare it to the best we had this gen. In my case, that was Wolfenstein: The New Order -- for a lot of other people, it's DOOM.

Thing is, I was thinking... "Yeah, I love how Titanfall plays, so I imagine the gameplay is solid, but Wolfenstein had cool set-pieces you know?" It had been so long since I have played a shooter Campaign that not only has great and solid gameplay but an amazing story to go with it.

I mean, we have had one without the other for so long, I was a teenager the last I remember the closest we got to one. It must have been when I played BioShock or Half Life 2: Episode Two.

These past few years I have watched a new Battlefield or Call of Duty come out, and I'd ask myself... "Would this one be fun to play? Or will it be shit?" I don't even consider what the story could be about. I'm not expecting a AAA experience anymore, after all, these games are built to have a lasting multiplayer -- at least until the next one in the new year.

In fact, that's why Wolfenstein: The New Order and DOOM set the bar so high. Not to proclaim that their plot performance is the same, but they did away with the subpar attempt to innovate on having modern set-pieces and just gave us a classic 90s experience. Give us exposition, tell us why we are fighting this dude, and give us a dope gun to kill them with. These games weren't Battlefield or Call of Duty, they were returning classics that were known for their solid gameplay.

Titanfall 2 doesn't belong in either of those groups. It doesn't deserve to the compared with "the best shooter Campaign this gen". Instead, it is entitled to a comparison for when Campaigns belonged to the biggest games in the market and were so good they didn't require a multiplayer Campaign or a review that said "it's actually good" to sell a game.

This Campaign isn't one of the best of this gen, it's of the best Campaigns, period.

BRB while I look up the best games of all time to figure out where this one stands.

Respawn is definitely not joking when some of them say they feel the game is better than CoD4.

In case some of you didn't know, you can edit your loadouts during game. Super useful when you unlock a mod for your weapon and need it now.

STORY SPOILERS (make sure you've finished if you read)

Respawn devs:

I figured out how you did the timeshift portion. Much simpler than I had imagined!

And again, great campaign!!!

duckroll

I haven't played Doom yet, but the main contenders for best modern shooter campaign is generally Wolfenstein, Doom, and now Titanfall. The weird thing is, I enjoyed Wolfenstein but never really felt it was a really -great- campaign. It was good enough, fun, and very lengthy. There's a lot of meat to it, and I guess that surprised people, because no one really makes a big long single player only FPS anymore. But the game had so much fat, and I felt a lot of it went on for longer than it needed to. Stages are large but not always interesting. There is a lot of combat but a lot of it also feels samey. Uncharted games also have this problem, where it's not the game design that's really driving what makes people love the games so much as the story and characters and just there being so much of it.

Titanfall is a totally different beast. It's the sort of campaign that is game first and story second, but every step of the way is designed to be a -single player- game. The sort of game experience you have alone, rather than with friends. But totally a game - and a great game. It's like a modern Contra or Metal Warrior, except with more variety and really great production values. It's short but never overstays its welcome, and the stages are unique enough that you can imagine yourself going back to replay them just to get that slice of gameplay again.

I have no qualms with saying that the Titanfall campaign is representative of what I feel more shooter campaigns should strife to be. Not story vehicles with the expected gameplay, but vehicles for gameplay we don't get in multiplayer with interesting story flavoring. Titanfall 2 is to first person shooters what great Platinum Games titles are to character action games.

i´ve got a question. I had to stop playing the first game due too the FOV being to low, (yes, 90 is too low for me, i need at least around 100º horizontal fov), it gave me headaches after an hour so, anyone on PC with similar problems with the first one has the same with this? The game looks amazing and i really liked the movement in the first one, but i can´t buy a game that gives me headaches, i suffer from migraines so it´s a big no for me

Had the same, but on console 😔

There was a dev post on Reddit stating they were working on higher options for PC. Maybe in the next patch?

STORY SPOILERS (make sure you've finished if you read)

Respawn devs:

I figured out how you did the timeshift portion. Much simpler than I had imagined!

And again, great campaign!!!

Yeah, there's definitely ways you can tell how we did it based on some things in the game. Please don't spoil it though. It stops being magic when you know how it's done :)

The Dude

I haven't played Doom yet, but the main contenders for best modern shooter campaign is generally Wolfenstein, Doom, and now Titanfall. The weird thing is, I enjoyed Wolfenstein but never really felt it was a really -great- campaign. It was good enough, fun, and very lengthy. There's a lot of meat to it, and I guess that surprised people, because no one really makes a big long single player only FPS anymore. But the game had so much fat, and I felt a lot of it went on for longer than it needed to. Stages are large but not always interesting. There is a lot of combat but a lot of it also feels samey. Uncharted games also have this problem, where it's not the game design that's really driving what makes people love the games so much as the story and characters and just there being so much of it.

Titanfall is a totally different beast. It's the sort of campaign that is game first and story second, but every step of the way is designed to be a -single player- game. The sort of game experience you have alone, rather than with friends. But totally a game - and a great game. It's like a modern Contra or Metal Warrior, except with more variety and really great production values. It's short but never overstays its welcome, and the stages are unique enough that you can imagine yourself going back to replay them just to get that slice of gameplay again.

I have no qualms with saying that the Titanfall campaign is representative of what I feel more shooter campaigns should strife to be. Not story vehicles with the expected gameplay, but vehicles for gameplay we don't get in multiplayer with interesting story flavoring. Titanfall 2 is to first person shooters what great Platinum Games titles are to character action games.

Battlefield 1 is easily in contention imho for best overall shooter the last few years

Flame shield is that shit for anyone who wants to get close to you. If they're medium range launch a gas grenade and blow it up with the fire line thing or a grenade. If they're at long range you can annoy them with the fire line thing but I usually just wait till they're closer. I primarily use Scorch and so far what he really seems to be good at is forcing enemies into corners.

Alx

Is there an easy way to know if Legion is in long range or short range mode ? I know there's a slight difference in the HUD design, but in the middle of action I often get confused.

HelloMeow

What's up with executions not working? Sometimes you can punch a doomed titan and nothing happens. I know you can't execute an ejecting titan, but that's not the case here.

Izuna

Banned
What's up with executions not working? Sometimes you can punch a doomed titan and nothing happens. I know you can't execute an ejecting titan, but that's not the case here.

Yep, happened in Alpha Tech Test, and it happens here. I think it's because the server wants to confirm for the other player that they're nor actually ejecting... at least for a few moments, so they don't mash X only to find out they were executed to having a bad connection.

That's fair, to be honest. It's not too hard to Goose or chase an enemy down. I never feel like I was unable to react to a Titan trying to execute me.

Is there an easy way to know if Legion is in long range or short range mode ? I know there's a slight difference in the HUD design, but in the middle of action I often get confused.

Legion will never switch without your doing, so you can either keep track or look at the RB/R1 ability. It's a single bullet for long-range, and something else for mid.

I don't bother going into long-range anymore because, for some reason, the shotgun does comparable damage anyway.

SwolBro

Banned
There's a few things that bother me

• SMG's are too powerful it seems
  • Legions are becoming overpopulated
  • why no consistent music during MP? i loved that in titanfall 1. i'd only turn it off during private/tourny matches

those are a few of my nitpicks right now

Gorillaz

I'm on the assembly line portion of the story

There was one Part where
the parts were setting up the wall and I jumped up too late. I'm thinking shit it's over but I stall by jumping on one of building arm things long enough to see the line build a new wall for me to bounce on out

Whoever created this level props for making it fun as hell

Izuna

Banned
I'm on the assembly line portion of the story

There was one Part where
the parts were setting up the wall and I jumped up too late. I'm thinking shit it's over but I stall by jumping on one of building arm things long enough to see the line build a new wall for me to bounce on out

Whoever created this level props for making it fun as hell

Yo

Keep playing

Alx

Legion will never switch without your doing, so you can either keep track or look at the RB/R1 ability. It's a single bullet for long-range, and something else for mid.

Crosshair is the quickest way to determine which mode

Thanks, I'll try to focus on the RB ability. I hadn't even noticed the crosshair difference, so I guess I'll get just as confused as with the HUD to remember which is which. :p

Top Bottom