• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Izuna

Banned
I've played a bit or Overwatch during the free weekend. It was very fun, but it's the sort of game that requires objective type modes. Certainly, you can perfect a playstyle, but there aren't too many of them for me. I don't think it's directly comparable, but that's why it's such a great thing people can play different games. ;)

EDIT: I should clarify, since I'm going to get quoted with people saying there are a ton of different characters in Overwatch.

They all have a pretty specific role when play at their best, is what I mean.

The Dude

Okay? I'm not sure why you even replied to my post in the first place if you had nothing to say about single player game design in shooters.

Ah my bad, no I agree those games have good campaigns. I'm just more in the online MP mindset tho, I don't really look to shooters for campaigns, so they're sort of afterthoughts for me. But I agree, the ones you listed have enjoyable campaigns.

jdstorm

Banned
I'm talking about single player campaigns here. As far as shooters go, Overwatch is better than everything else. :p

Its up there. With Splatoon, Destiny and Rainbow 6: Siege. Better is pretty subjective since all of those games do reasonably different things.

Overwatch is the best Smash Bros clone to date. Just needs local Multiplayer

I hope this game sells well enough. I never had problems getting into games with the original years after release, but it would be shitty to see this game being given away for nothing just to keep the player base somewhat alive.

This game is just so good.

Mupod

I haven't found a pilot weapon that really works for me yet. Feels like I need to unload 2 magazines of any SMG into someone to kill them whereas I die in two bullets from anything. It's most annoying when I've clearly just punched someone or hit them dead on with an EPG-1 shot but it doesn't register.

Tempted to early unlock the DMR because hanging back works better for me. You die so fast in this game that there's no way to react to incoming fire and you're just dead. Maybe wall running and such works in the console version but it seems like even 1 second out of cover means you die. Even the stim doesn't do shit, I still get mowed down.

I haven't found a pilot weapon that really works for me yet. Feels like I need to unload 2 magazines of any SMG into someone to kill them whereas I die in two bullets from anything. It's most annoying when I've clearly just punched someone or hit them dead on with an EPG-1 shot but it doesn't register.

Tempted to early unlock the DMR because hanging back works better for me. You die so fast in this game that there's no way to react to incoming fire and you're just dead. Maybe wall running and such works in the console version but it seems like even 1 second out of cover means you die. Even the stim doesn't do shit, I still get mowed down.
I felt the same, then settled on the LMG.

Izuna

Banned
For Singleplayer: Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2? Has someone played both?

Almost done with Titanfall 2, whereas I only played the first chapter of Battlefield 1.

The chapter of BF1 that I played was a lot of fun and I was really impressed. But that was for a BF campaign. R2 no question is better gameplay, and its story also has cohesion.

You gotta remember that BF1 is pretty much 5 entirely separate "acts" of battlegrounds in WW1. I'll definitely return when it hits EA Acess, but I don't mind waiting the 6 or even 12 months that'll take to happen.

The Dude

Yea, it's a typical call of duty trait and part of my dislike for call of duty style shooters. I might try DMRs also to see

duckroll

Ah my bad, no I agree those games have good campaigns. I'm just more in the online MP mindset tho, I don't really look to shooters for campaigns, so they're sort of afterthoughts for me. But I agree, the ones you listed have enjoyable campaigns.

Yeah well, Battlefield is generally the king of multiplayer shooters these days. :p

Other than Overwatch.

SkylineRKR

So whats the general consensus on the grappling hook? I dropped it for the cloak for now and haven't looked back yet. I get quite some kills while cloaked and it saves me from Titans. Since I've gotten the hang of the mechanics I can quickly ascend buildings anyway.

Mupod

the funny thing is as ineffective as I feel on foot, I always make up for it when it's Titan time. My last few matches I was top of the scoreboard and I did fuck all as a pilot.

The longer the TTK in a game the better I am at it, I guess. I was a terror in Mechwarrior Online and I'm best at tanks in Overwatch. Maybe it's because I'm old.

I'll probably stick with Tone. Legion is okay but too slow, and there's WAY too many Legions now. I also haven't really spent any time with Ion or Scorch so I could try those.

Izuna

Banned
So whats the general consensus on the grappling hook? I dropped it for the cloak for now and haven't looked back yet. I get quite some kills while cloaked and it saves me from Titans. Since I've gotten the hang of the mechanics I can quickly ascend buildings anyway.

Stim is a far better tool for survivability and getting the jump on people. Cloak isn't meant to be very effective against Pilots. And with Cloak, as you run away from a Titan, you have to be close to a safe zone that you could have gotten faster with Stim.

Grappling Hook doesn't do anything Stim can't do in that sense. It's also a silly way to embark a Titan because they can just turn and punch you off or take note of the early notification that a Pilot is about to Rodeo.

Jarmel

Banned
I really hate the fixed Titan setup stuff. Some Titans are near useless as a result and so matches are between Legions and Tones.

taoofjord

The campaign really picks up a few missions in... holy shit! Just got the
ability to time travel
and using it in combat is one of the most awesome things I've done in a FPS. Soooo good. I also love the District 9ish gore that carried over from the first game. I wouldn't mind them dialing that up some more in the next game.

Also loved the mission that set up the current one. Nicely atmospheric.

I just beat the campaign and it was way more funner than expected and feels like an actual campaign unlike BF1. Going to try multiplayer soon, but worried about the player base in the future.

Is there a trick to getting non-laggy matches? If i sit with the start menu up during a match I can watch my ping pike from 25 to over a 100 constantly.

My ping is 17 to my data center.

Akoi

Should I get this on PC, PS4, or Xbox? Which system has the largest player base? I know titan fall 1 died on PC really fast and I still feel burned from that..

Izuna

Banned
"That was impressive Pilot."

Understatement of the year.

Should I get this on PC, PS4, or Xbox? Which system has the largest player base? I know titan fall 1 died on PC really fast and I still feel burned from that..

Xbox, duh ;p

Titanfall Tuesdays will be on it, where you play with devs bi-weekly. Also, the old-school player base is there.

the funny thing is as ineffective as I feel on foot, I always make up for it when it's Titan time. My last few matches I was top of the scoreboard and I did fuck all as a pilot.

The longer the TTK in a game the better I am at it, I guess. I was a terror in Mechwarrior Online and I'm best at tanks in Overwatch. Maybe it's because I'm old.

I'll probably stick with Tone. Legion is okay but too slow, and there's WAY too many Legions now. I also haven't really spent any time with Ion or Scorch so I could try those.

I like Titanfall because it's the polar oppoisite of CS, which I also adore. Perfect combination of games IMO.

Toa TAK

Banned
For Singleplayer: Battlefield 1 or Titanfall 2? Has someone played both?

I've played both. As much as I love historical settings:

Titanfall 2. It's lightyears ahead of it (though I'm not sure if that's how good TF2 is, or how bad BF1 is).

Titanfall 2 has a great single player. I shouldn't have been surprised it was good, but here I am. Pimping it out.

Mupod

You know as I do these matches where literally everybody is in a Legion, I'm wondering what the best counter would be. Maybe Ion's vortex shield?

I'm so on the fence about buying this. I bought the first one on PC and the community died pretty quick. Very happy about the free post-launch content which should help, but I'm worried I'm going to get it and find out nobody bought it lol... I know I'll like it.

LowSignal

Will the vangaurd class titan be available in multi at some point? I've looked and couldn't find anything. Finished SP last night on hard and was pleasantly surprised.

SkylineRKR

I do reasonably well with the Alternator. But I feel I don't have to hit the enemy way more. I did feel this was the case in the awful IW beta but not in this and BF1. I generally win a decent amount of 1 v 1's.

AngryJoe posted a video about how Amazon delayed his game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVQ1CsErpRk

I think the video is stupid. He generalized all of Amazon saying that when you pre-order you aren't actually pre-ordering. This sounds like an issue specific with Titanfall 2. And then he talked about how he tried to use his influence when talking to Amazon customer service to get Titanfall 2 for sure on release day. Like dude these are random call centers more than likely trying to help you. They don't care who you are. I'm a fan of AJ but his video comes off as douchey instead of "stuff hapened and I'm a bit pissed that I can't play on release date."

He keeps up with the "If Amazon wants gamers to take them seriously they need to..." Amazon is one of the best website for pre-ordering games. Please stop.

Jawmuncher

I think the video is stupid. He generalized all of Amazon saying that when you pre-order you aren't actually pre-ordering. This sounds like an issue specific with Titanfall 2. And then he talked about how he tried to use his influence when talking to Amazon customer service to get Titanfall 2 for sure on release day. Like dude these are random call centers more than likely trying to help you. They don't care who you are. I'm a fan of AJ but his video comes off as douchey instead of "stuff hapened and I'm a bit pissed that I can't play on release date."

He keeps up with the "If Amazon wants gamers to take them seriously they need to..." Amazon is one of the best website for pre-ordering games. Please stop.

It's overboard but Amazon has some issues with what their pages say and what their customer service says.

I had the same issue with dead rising. With prime games are supposed to have a release date guarantee. But customer service sits there and goes "we only ship when it releases". So there is some miscommunication somewhere.

Foxxsoxx

He used his influence to try and get it on time?

That sucks that he didn't get it on time but jeez that's serious cringe.

He used his influence to try and get it on time?

That sucks that he didn't get it on time but jeez that's serious cringe.

He tweeted and linked his channel while highlighting the significance of Amazon getting this corrected for the gaming industry. It's one thing to tweet to a company and wait for a response but to link your tweet to a customer support/call center is stupid. I truly doubt that at their role they care about your tweet. The person behind Amazon's twitter cares.

It's overboard but Amazon has some issues with what their pages say and what their customer service says.

I had the same issue with dead rising. With prime games are supposed to have a release date guarantee. But customer service sits there and goes "we only ship when it releases". So there is some miscommunication somewhere.

I agree 100%, I think of it similar to the mentality GAF members have about Gamestop employee. Never assume someone is doing something maliciously but be cautious with getting information from customer service. I mean there are people that will seek help on Amazon the day a new edition or pre-order bonus is announced for a game and they expect the customer support to follow gaming 100%.

Amazon has had issues before for me in rare situation where they did not get enough stock, but the customer support legit cannot change that for you. They can refund you (which isn't needed because you are not charged until the item ship) or give you an inconvenience credit in these situations.

Haines

Banned

Personally I'm going with ps4 and hoping the pro version puts it over the top.

I find this game looks and plays awesome on ps4.

I do miss my elite controller on xbox but I can always use it on Amazon.

Izuna

Banned

Tesco ain't shit either

PJAqYj6.png

Played the campaign for about an hour or so today and it's really fun. Respawn did a hell of a job with this game.

I'd recommend this game to anybody that enjoys fast paced shooters. It's fantastic. This is shaping up to be my GOTY. I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time.

I bought it yesterday along with Skyrim, but haven't played it as of yet. I was too tired after pulling an all-nighter and just watched TV last night.

But, my Internet was also down for the day, so there's that too.

How hard is the campaign? I read one review that said it's pretty easy on hard? There's a higher difficulty, isn't there?

Top Bottom