• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Attrition's growing on me. At least, it is when I play with a party.

I've discovered Scorch counters Tone really well. Usually Tone players don't move much, so you can just peek corners and fire off your Thermite Launcher every couple of seconds and knock 'em down really easily.
How do the enemy titans work in BH anyway? Is it last hit, most damage, etc that determins who "claims" them?
From what I understand, there's $300 granted to the player who gets the last hit ($150 bonus cash, $150 immediate score), but a lot of cash is also granted for wailing on it as well.

Sean

Banned
Is the campaign worth the price of admission alone? I have almost no time for extensive multiplayer, so I was hoping the single player portion lived up to its potential.

I'd say so. I had tons of fun with the SP campaign.

First level is kind of slow with all the tutorial hand-holding stuff and story bits. Once you get your Titan the game picks up dramatically and it's amazing from then on. Not really any filler or any down moments imo. Everything about the combat is super satisfying, but even the portions where you're not in combat and simply traversing the level, the game makes you wallrun and double jump and all sorts of cool ninja type shit. You're always doing new stuff and feeling like a complete badass the entire time.

Only downside is that it's kind of on the shorter side I guess.

sagat2036

I just hit 50 and was thinking about regening. Do you keep your mod unlocks? Just have to unlock the weapon and they're there right?

KodaRuss

I love Tone. She is my new favorite. Launching that barrage of missiles is so satisfying. Especially when the Pilot doesn't eject in time.

I love Tone. She is my new favorite. Launching that barrage of missiles is so satisfying. Especially when the Pilot doesn't eject in time.

Nobody expects a dash teleport Ronin melee kill. I executed 5 titans in one game. It was magical! I've finally transitioned to the point where I'm not constantly frustrated by the titan changes and the game in general. I desperately hope this game can pick up its numbers I need a PC shooter I like to play to have a stable largish player base.

Animator

Me , Code and Soktos went on like a 15 win streak on MP. This game gets better the more you play it. There is so much depth in the MP.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Finished Effect and Cause and started on the following mission. Yeah, this game is an all timer. Absolutely phenomenal campaign so far. Some of the most impressive level design I've seen in an FPS in a long while.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Cant afford a new game right now, but decided to redbox this over BF1 due to all the glowing praise. Hope I made the right choice.

Izuna

Banned
Bug Report:
dGu9EaK.png

When I jumped into my Titan, the graphic for the Core ability appeared as if it was full and said 100% even though it wasn't. When the bar was filled I was able to use the Core ability fine and it proceeded to work properly.

Izuna

Banned
vTL8Lkj.png

Yeah so... Multiplayer is easier than it was at launch probably because the try-hards only play at peak times now with their mates.

This game really needs a bot mode for learning to play. Makes me not even want to play when I just get constantly destroyed because I don't really know what's going on. I can't even make an empty game to learn the maps or practice movement. Also seems like you die way too fast in this

The Dude

Finally got to spend some time with the MP. I get why people feel it's more COD than the first one, but it's still a lot of fun.

Glad to see someone else feels and or sees it as such. Basically my final verdict is this, it's a polished, gorgeous, smooth feeling game. It's got a ton of content which is great. But it's imho the new call of duty, this is probably what call of duty should of been in terms of polish compared to how infinite warfare feels. But yea, this game has its moments of fun and I'll continue to keep playing to get my money's worth, but let's call a spade a spade. It's way more COD than the first ever was, take out those mechs and this game is modern day call of duty. But it's a good call of duty, that's my point. But that's why I'm having personal struggles, because it's simply cod. But it's got more polish than any current cod that's for sure.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Glad to see someone else feels and or sees it as such. Basically my final verdict is this, it's a polished, gorgeous, smooth feeling game. It's got a ton of content which is great. But it's imho the new call of duty, this is probably what call of duty should of been in terms of polish compared to how infinite warfare feels. But yea, this game has its moments of fun and I'll continue to keep playing to get my money's worth, but let's call a spade a spade. It's way more COD than the first ever was, take out those mechs and this game is modern day call of duty. But it's a good call of duty, that's my point. But that's why I'm having personal struggles, because it's simply cod. But it's got more polish than any current cod that's for sure.

... What?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

The Dude

This game really needs a bot mode for learning to play. Makes me not even want to play when I just get constantly destroyed because I don't really know what's going on. I can't even make an empty game to learn the maps or practice movement. Also seems like you die way too fast in this

That's the thing that gets me a bit. I'm a seasoned shooter player, thousands upon thousands of hours...cept call of duty, that's not my game. But I don't see how a casual gamer or a person who's not a major shooter fan jumps into this. It's pure chaos, instaneous death pretty much if you simply want to meander around and learn stuff. Most shooters I feel give you a breather except call of duty, it's a game built for the twitch masters of the universe. I'm seasoned and I get busted up, I'll have those glimmers of glory where it shows I can hang but ultimately yea, this is not a game to just pop into and see what's up and learn the ropes without getting absolutely slaughtered.

So EA servers are borked right now. None of EA's games are working online and Origin is in offline mode.

this is really frustrating, wanted to finish off the campaign tonight while the wife was away partying for halloween :/

my games are BF1 and R2 right now, why must thou do this to me Peter Moore!

[who am i kidding, i still mostly play H5, so back to that i suppose]

The Dude

... What?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here

What I'm saying is that at heart this is a call of duty game with mechs. I don't find call of duty appealing in the slightest, but this has a bit more refinement and polish than most call of duty games. It doesn't feel as generic as a typical futurist cod. This game is gorgeous, smooth, tight in controls.. But it's still at heart officially more of a cod game than the original, that's all. Just calling a spade a spade. Infinite warfare felt like pure shit compared to this tho, that's for sure

zonezeus

Well said, my thoughts exactly. It's the modern Call of Duty finally done right and anyone enjoying fast, twitchy shooters will be having a blast, guaranteed. Others, like myself, who tend to gravitate towards slower, more "tactical" shooters with longer TTK will probably struggle to get their money's worth out of it tho.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
What I'm saying is that at heart this is a call of duty game with mechs. I don't find call of duty appealing in the slightest, but this has a bit more refinement and polish than most call of duty games. It doesn't feel as generic as a typical futurist cod. This game is gorgeous, smooth, tight in controls.. But it's still at heart officially more of a cod game than the original, that's all. Just calling a spade a spade. Infinite warfare felt like pure shit compared to this tho, that's for sure

Because it has a fast time to kill, good controls, and is a first person shooter?

Titanfall's main strength is in its movement and platforming. That's what makes the average player different than the best player - is the ability to use the movement to your advantage.

Saying it's "at heart" just a Call of Duty kind of discredits this game and sounds like a negative. This game is far above any modern day Call of Duty game.

Izuna

Banned
2v5ffPg.png

Bounty Hunt is getting boring...

--

In a casual game... Gravity Star wave 1 spawn, shoot any kind of Grenade Launcher. Get Titan before wave 2, give it battery. Shoot Bounty Titan for like 2 seconds, activate Smart Core... No one else has a Titan so fuck them all up and claim bounty. Have $1000. Suicide Titan if low health, otherwise go to wave 3 spawn and get Titan/Smart Core. Fuck up entire wave 3. Maybe make it to other side and Smart Core everyone at round end. $2000 get. Rinse fucking repeat.

I've done that 3 times in a row and each time not a single thing had to change. I much prefer R1 Attrition where I could go about the map and win 1v1s with 40mm along the way.

The crazy thing is, ofc if I'm against a better team I can't do this, but the average game this works 100%. And I don't even have to aim with Legion to make it work.

You have the objective modes where you can't carry pugs, but tbf if you have a full party you're guaranteed to win like 95% of matches anyway.

Gimme Skirmish as it's own mode. It suits this game more. No point making minion farming more important by having Bounty Hunt if you're gunna have Smart Core.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I felt like that about BH in the beta. When you get in the loop of it you can easily put up 2-3K pretty easily but it honestly gets pretty rote to pull off.

The Dude

Because it has a fast time to kill, good controls, and is a first person shooter?

Titanfall's main strength is in its movement and platforming. That's what makes the average player different than the best player - is the ability to use the movement to your advantage.

Saying it's "at heart" just a Call of Duty kind of discredits this game and sounds like a negative. This game is far above any modern day Call of Duty game.

At its heart its a good, very well made call of duty game... That Is a nice compliment I feel.. But it's still a call of duty shooter with its fundamentals and battle flow. The issue is that the first was more of it's own game, borrowed slightly a little from call of duty but had a map flow and feel that just felt better. But that's just my opinion, everyone will be different.

dcelw540

I have a question, how does this compare to the beta? I know a lot of people didn't like the beta including me did they fix a lot of the issues? :)

Izuna

Banned
I have a question, how does this compare to the beta? I know a lot of people didn't like the beta including me did they fix a lot of movies the issues? :)

If the Tech Test was 3/Original Titanfall -- this full game is 6/Original Titanfall.

That is to say, it's twice as good as it was in the Tech Test, but like...

The Campaign is incredible so there's that.

--

I don't know if the next Generations are faster to level up in but my goodness does progression feel stagnant.

Honestly, Attrition is where the population will likely gravitate towards. Hopefully Respawn increases the match times and point limits because Attrition ends a few minutes too soon.

At its heart its a good, very well made call of duty game... That Is a nice compliment I feel.. But it's still a call of duty shooter with its fundamentals and battle flow. The issue is that the first was more of it's own game, borrowed slightly a little from call of duty but had a map flow and feel that just felt better. But that's just my opinion, everyone will be different.

Are you just trying to see how many times you can fit "call of duty" into each one of your posts?

It any case, it's lazy criticism at best.

The Dude

Are you just trying to see how many times you can fit "call of duty" into each one of your posts?

It any case, it's lazy criticism at best.

It's a lazy response to simply say that it's not. As I mentioned I'm finding enjoyment but I would of found a lot more of they kept the original formula. I can sit all day and dissect the problem with call of duty style warfare but what's the point when most seem to actually love and enjoy that, so to me it sort of is what it is. I'm tryin to give this game praise in as many ways as possible rather than shitting on it and writing it off. I'm here simply to discuss and vent about it all, nothing more nothing less.

Poster#1

I have a question, how does this compare to the beta? I know a lot of people didn't like the beta including me did they fix a lot of the issues? :)

The gameplay is fine. What kills the MP for me is the shit tier maps. Such huge downgrade from Titanfall 1. Maps feel like a mix of COD/BF maps. Doesn't compliment Pilots movements very well.

I think their best level/map designers were working on the Campaign. The level design in campaign is fucking brilliant.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Thanks for raising this. I haven't had any LTS games go to time yet but will be on the lookout.
He's right, it's pretty common in 'sweaty' lobbies. Especially on Complex where I'd go so far as to say unless the round is a roflstomp, it's going to hit the time limit. There's just not enough room to maneuver. I wouldn't be mad if you guys took it out of the LTS rotation. Granted a lot of the maps are tight to maneuver multiple titans on but that one really takes the cake.

Also... the spawn on the one side looks sooooo much like that one side of Corporate.... Not sure if intentional... I mean the rest of the map's design feels similar in places too but... it's actually disorienting when I get to that first tunnel and it breaks right instead of going into the middle of the building like on Corporate. Am I going crazy?

Also, in addition to losing the minute from TF1... there's more of a delay of actually getting control of your Titan, so it's more like 1:04 less game time.

Anyway I did my first regen finally. A little painful since dewritos.com doesn't seem to be redeeming my codes at the moment. I guess the stuffy you unlock with credits gets unlocked permanently, so I'll use them more strategically in the future. I take it no regen challenges this time around? I really enjoyed those, but I get it, potatoes that didn't want to use anything other than the R-101 or play a different game mode than Attrition would just stop playing.

Speaking of Attrition, I noticed that it seemed to be beating Bounty Hunt in player count by 3 to 1 or so. D'oh. It's an okay mode, the AI are more work to take out and a bit harder to find. For these two modes I did try to run the Smart Pistol for a bit... and while it's not awful... it's just not worth it. It replaces your secondary, so say goodbye to your anti-titan capabilities. That just sucks. It would make so much more sense if the three weapon system was still in place. When the Reapers come it's completely useless. This is probably the one change to the game that I just don't understand at all.

The Variety 8v8 is indeed pretty fun. I ran it solo for a bit and did get placed in progress a bunch which really sucks. Including once against a full team with RSPN Network, and Respawn Dev emblems... I mean, I did what I could in the 1v4 titan fight which were the best odds I could find, goosed one of them but join in progress 8v8 Hardpoint is not winnable. It was a lot more fun on the other side of the 8v8 roflstomps. Seeing 8-0 titan advantage was fairly common. It was almost MW2 ground war levels of chaos at times. I do like delving into a target rich environment on occasion.

I think tomorrow I will make the effort to finish the campaign so I can stop dancing around spoilers. I think I'm three real levels in, four if you count the gauntlet.

Overall still enjoying the hell out of this game.

Top Bottom