• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

The controller aim assist on PC is annoying me way more than it did last game

Also, bounty hunt might be the most convoluted game mode I've ever played

I haven’t played too long (four hours), but I’m liking it so far. Played the first three missions and it’s excellent. Then I jumped into mp after that. First few games were rough, but it got better. It’s a shame about the population though. I understand its 4 am, but my region only had 400 people playing. Plus I’m getting matched against 50s, prestige players, and high ranked teams. I’m only a level eight. I’m assuming the matchmaking is better at prime time when more people are on. Fun game so far, I just hope the pop will be decent in the future. PC btw.

Menthuss

The controller aim assist on PC is annoying me way more than it did last game

How is it convoluted? All you have to do is kill stuff during a wave and head over to the objective between waves.

Man, a game type that has two phases and people are confused? It really isn't that convoluted.

It's more complicated than a game type that has a singular persistent state or phase, but it's not so bad. The nuke gametype in Twisted metal has something like four phases, for instance. Warzone on Killzone shifts through 5 or more gametypes. Bounty Hunter is pretty simple, really, just less so than many classic gametypes.

nOoblet16

Anyone ?

So what platform should I get this on?

I personally want to buy it on PC but I am worried about player population, the first game turned into a graveyard pretty quick and while this might not suffer from it as quickly it might be an issue in near future.

I won't be playing it much and it'll be one of my secondary MP games that I play every once in a while.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Caved and bought T2. Jesus, getting killed from spawn and killed from the back really doesn't appeal to me. I'll give it more time as I want to enjoy this and I know a great MP is in there.

Don't just wallrun and slide, etc. It's very tempting, but be more cautious and deliberate at first. I did that before, yep, same as you. Got shot from behind a ton of times.

PS4 now has 18K players, which is fine since I immediately can join Attrition and Bounty Hunt. Should spike to 30K+ once everyone in the US wakes up.

I played Bounty Hunt on Complex for the first time and OMG! Terrible design. I mean, it kinda is bearable in Attrition but in Bounty Hunt, where you need to deposit money and it's time, it's so annoying. Literally got trapped by Titans who were guarding the pathways to the bank. You can't really be all sneaky since the space is super confined.

I also called in three Titans, and I have no clue where they dropped. I only managed to get to one out of three. :(

After that match, guess what map loads? Homestead. Yeah, not as bad, but I would have wanted the others. Still having fun though. Getting my grips on how to play as Tone. :D

PS4, I'd say. It has the biggest install base, so it should, in effect, have the bigger player population. I think that's the case now.

I didn't play the original Tifa ^^ but i take that as a yes.

I also notice the primary weapon becomes the sword, so the R2 trigger becomes new melee swings?

Oh sorry for that. Dash core means you can dash infinitely. Plus all the 6 titan loadouts are in the campaign and behave the same as in MP so you can practice and get use to them there.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Bounty Hunt time to deposit cash should be longer. I mean, unless you're using the hook, it's a fucking pain to traverse the map since you'll get shot most of the time by someone just sniping or camping in one of the rooftops.

I've lost count how many times I needed to deposit something and fucking banks were at the other end. Trying the cloak now and the A-Wall, and I miss the hook's usefulness. A-Wall becomes useless since you show up in the radar every time you fire anything, so people just look out for you.

Sliencers and such definitely needed or something to keep you out of radar.

How is it convoluted? All you have to do is kill stuff during a wave and head over to the objective between waves.

Unless I missed it the game doesn't explain the scoring system at all. I'd like to know exactly what I need to be doing to win. I don't mean deposit more money than the enemy team. I mean who I should be killing, how much I should be getting for killing different enemies, doing the bounties, etc...

This is a different issue I have now: from what I've read outside the game just now, you get the same or less for killing a pilot that's carry no money vs. killing the AI.

Man, a game type that has two phases and people are confused? It really isn't that convoluted.

It's more complicated than a game type that has a singular persistent state or phase, but it's not so bad. The nuke gametype in Twisted metal has something like four phases, for instance. Warzone on Killzone shifts through 5 or more gametypes. Bounty Hunter is pretty simple, really, just less so than many classic gametypes.

I don't think comparing it to two games no one plays, possibly for this reason, is helpful. And if this was the game fair enough. But it's not. It's a multiplayer mode and it doesn't make it clear what you should to be doing to win.

protonion

So this is my first Titanfall experience as a PS4 only owner.

The mp gave me the same feelings as MW did almost a decade ago. I can't believe I'm about to abandon Rocket League for this!
So much fun!

I'm surprised they nailed the controls so hard. The videos had me scared with all the wall running and jumping plus the rope. But even during my first match I could everything so effortlessly.

The campaign (2 hours in) is also excellent.

Spread the word people!

Any tips on how to play Ion and Ronin?

Don't use Ronin if their are Ions around. The shield for Ion is an excellent counter.

Also don't use Ronin if lots of Ions ground.

Ronin tips just hold off until you see a Titan and unload your machine gun while upping your shield. Don't stop firing until it is down and take out any grunts/Pilots around too.

I predominantly use Ion for when there are enemy Ronin's otherwise it is just Tone for me.

What I'm saying is that at heart this is a call of duty game with mechs. I don't find call of duty appealing in the slightest, but this has a bit more refinement and polish than most call of duty games. It doesn't feel as generic as a typical futurist cod. This game is gorgeous, smooth, tight in controls.. But it's still at heart officially more of a cod game than the original, that's all. Just calling a spade a spade. Infinite warfare felt like pure shit compared to this tho, that's for sure
You should probably play recent call of dutys. They feel nothing alike. On a purely game feel level they are so far apart.

What exactly is Call of Duty about it? The low ttk? Cus that was very low in the original game too and there was LESS you could do about getting shot.

It handles completely differently, the movement is properly physics based and has a much larger range, titans ARE incredibly powerful (if you don't think so you are using them wrong - you can rack up kills so easily with them)... I just don't get what this has in common with call of duty. The people succeeding in this game are not playing it like Call of duty, they're playing it like Titanfall.

LTWheels

I like what they have done to the titans - it's almost moba-like with the different playstyles.

But I have found the selection of pilot 'perks' and gun attachments to be quite underwhelming so far. they all feel quite tame and don't really do that much to change your playstyle. Well not as much as I would like it to.

Dommel

Sat down and played my first game online.

There is so much going on and don't understand half of it!

Just stick with it, after just a few rounds you'll know what to do.

Great game btw, really hope this doesn't get buried because it's wedged between BF1 and COD17.

Plasma

Banned
I'm liking it so far but there seems to be less NPCs around in attrition than there were in the first game and they are gone entirely from the hardpoint mode. I miss the chaingun for the titan which I thought would have been in the MP as it was the first gun you get for the titan in SP. The titans feel less customisable as well now as you can't swap out the type of shield you have and the weapons, you're limited to the base classes with some minor tweaks here and there.

Sanjuro

I clicked to join the XB1 network, but I'm still not in it.

Just stick with it, after just a few rounds you'll know what to do.

Great game btw, really hope this doesn't get buried because it's wedged between BF1 and COD17.

Makes me feel old!

SilentRob

HO-LY SHIT.

I just got to that part in the campaign. I'm guessing whoever played it knows what I'm talking about. These are mechanics and ideas I'd expect from a game like Half-Life 2, not Titanfall. Completely blown away by this game.

deejay

Caved and bought T2. Jesus, getting killed from spawn and killed from the back really doesn't appeal to me. I'll give it more time as I want to enjoy this and I know a great MP is in there.

Agreed. I thought those days were long. Spawn locations could definitely use some work.

Those who have played the campaign, would you recommend I play through that first?

I'm asking because I'm only playing MP right now and it seems that there's just a lot of mechanics I'm just not aware of (like ejecting from a Titan is pressing X and then E?) And then other weapons on the Titans (core power build ups, etc.) Are these mechanics taken step by step through the campaign?

I was actually saving the campaign for a rainy day since I've heard it's around 6 hours and really good, but if it helps me improve in MP, then I'll play it first.

I feel like the campaign helped me out in multiplayer. It helped me get a feel for the wall running mechanics along with some of the Titan loadouts.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Ok joined TitanGAF on XB1, I was part of NeoGAF one from the original game but happy hour is late and it seems less active.

Is scorch kind of bad for anyone else? I feel like if its not 1v1 I'm gonna have a bad time.

Yup, I really want to enjoy it but I seem to do terrible regardless of who I'm against.

basefree

Titan boss fights in the campaign were really fun. I'd love a mode just for offline arena style titan battles, waves of enemies, last as long as you can.

Kordelle

Titan boss fights in the campaign were really fun. I'd love a mode just for offline arena style titan battles, waves of enemies, last as long as you can.
That was in Titanfall 1, it was called Frontier Defense.
I hope they patch that it like last time, was a lot of fun :)

MGrant

Yeah, I just played through that campaign mission. Incredible. Really master-class level design stuff. I did the next mission, too, which was also good. 3 missions left. What a great job Respawn did.

bwat47

Neo Member
I can't find a single game without AI. I bought a physical copy through Amazon and I'm wondering if I can get a refund somowhow.

Bounty Hunt and Attrition have AI grunts even when the game is full, it's just how those modes were designed. Some of the modes like hardpoint and LTS don't have AI

bwat47

Neo Member
Time to get a titan is pretty fast as long as you focus on objectives. In a game of Bounty Hunt or Amped Hardpoint you can get a titan in under a minute if you get enough grunt kills and such.

Also, stealing an enemy titan's battery gives you like instant 60% titan charge. And hitting titans with anti-titan weapons rapidly increases it too.

AEREC

Damn...I feel like I'm right on the verge of getting this but I'm also occupied with B1 and Destiny so there's really no point.

Zoro7

Banned
Is the multiplayer region free? Might pick it up from US store as UK store has a ridiculous price. Could I still play with UK friends?

Toa TAK

Banned
HO-LY SHIT.

I just got to that part in the campaign. I'm guessing whoever played it knows what I'm talking about. These are mechanics and ideas I'd expect from a game like Half-Life 2, not Titanfall. Completely blown away by this game.
Yeah, that was when the game finally had me. Gameplay there snatched the rest of my free time from then until the end of the game. It had my interest at the
Foundry,
but owned me at
time traveling.

Fun ass campaign.

robotrock

Banned
HO-LY SHIT.

Yeah that thing is goddamn mind blowing. Would love to see a whole game developed around that one mechanic tbh

Najaf

Great redbox rental. Played the campaign and got in a good amount of multiplayer.

Honestly got my fill though. Titan/pilot combat has never stuck with me as long as traditional shooters. With Civ 6, BF and Modern Warfare Remaster next week calling for my attention, I can't help but agree the release timing on this one is unfortunate.

Will play it again when it hits the EA vault in 6 months.

Top Bottom