• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

If I buy the PC version retail do I still have to download the entire game on Origin or will it be on the disc with just whatever post release updates that are available on Origin?

Izuna

Banned
I remember hyping the first game to high-heaven, and then getting just completely outclassed online and shelving it permanently after about two weeks.

I'm pretty decent at video games. Never fantastic... not even great, but can usually hold my own pretty well (with the occasional crappy losing streak). This gen I've grown to really love Rainbow Six: Siege and Overwatch, two titles where I can occasionally carry a team, and where I know WHY I failed when I do poorly.

But in Titanfall, I was just getting stomped all.the.time. Like, I'd have three or four kills in a match when others would have 10-20. After ~15 hours of that, I couldn't take it any more.

I don't even know what could change to avoid that and be better for me specifically in the sequel. But would anyone care to comment? Is the barrier to entry a bit lower?

It depends on why you weren't performing in R1. I think you'd find the Pilot vs. Pilot situation easier in this one, and perhaps what makes Titan combat effective easier to understand. I know people who couldn't pull any weight in R1 doing okay in this one.

Did they really fix this game from the beta? Kinda surprised people are digging it. What happened? Maybe I should pick up this game?

I freaking hated the beta and cancelled my preorder.
Only redboxed it to try the campaign and it felt entirely different from the beta.
Big enough change that I bought it immediately after my rental ended.

Anon67

Time to get a titan is pretty fast as long as you focus on objectives. In a game of Bounty Hunt or Amped Hardpoint you can get a titan in under a minute if you get enough grunt kills and such.

There are so many ways to get a Titan quickly depending on how you play. Really, it's a non-issue. If the other team gets a Titan first, you can feed build time of them very easily.

~ Traversal isn't at R1 levels, but the other maps don't leave Pilots as sitting ducks. So while it isn't as fast as you'd like at times, it's not as bad as it was in the Tech Test maps.

Hmm alright, I'll take a look at this. Definitely worth a rent, at least.

ZeroX03

Banned
Man if I'd known smart pistol wasn't a default weapon I wouldn't have bought this.

Really tempted to try for the one time refund but I've already earned trophies so I think that disqualifies me.

Man if I'd known smart pistol wasn't a default weapon I wouldn't have bought this.

Really tempted to try for the one time refund but I've already earned trophies so I think that disqualifies me.

You're good. I refunded BF1 after earning trophies and hours of gameplay.

Bydobob

What is the name of that narrow, corridory rocky level? That's the only shitty map, the rest have enough to them to live up to the first game. Big relief.

Titan combat and rodeo isn't gelling with me yet. Took me a while to figure out the importance of getting a battery first before entering my Titan. And then, remembering all the abilities these new Titans come equipped with and actually using them. It also seems that rodeoing Titans is the quickest way to get your Titan timer down, even if you die in the process. I expected more reward for downing pilots, which also happens to be more fun. And in the space of about 15 matches not a single rando gave me a bloody battery. So much for teamwork!

On the other hand, pilot combat is heavenly, and I'd say almost better than the first game thanks to the slide and the better hip-fire. I'm saddened the arc grenade has lost its damage though, it was my mainstay before and I feel a lost without it. Frag grenades also seem to take longer to detonate, making them less predictable. The gravity star has already become by go-to ordnance, tossing one of those in a cluster of minions is glorious.

Other observations: I'm using camo rather than stim now. Camo duration is longer whereas stim has gone the other way, plus I find health regeneration quick enough on its own. I frankly haven't seen much need for grapple hook with all the movement available, but I can see why it appeals. Phase shift is probably more useful in reality, and looks even cooler.

Was worried about Attrition from the comments, but pleased to say it hasn't changed much except for the addition of Reapers and Stalkers. They make the battlefield more hazardous and interesting than before, but sometimes at the expense of clutter. I'm not sure AI spawns in choke points where all the action is happening is always a good idea.

So much more I could say, but I've barely gone beneath the skin of this game yet. It is definitely not dumbed down from the first game, in many ways it throws so many more options at you and it will probably end up taking even longer to master. I don't even have a clue which Titan I prefer at this stage.

If I buy the PC version retail do I still have to download the entire game on Origin or will it be on the disc with just whatever post release updates that are available on Origin?

If you have console I'd consider going that route as there aren't more than 10,000 people playing at a time which seems low to me and fear the online will die out like TF1 in a month or two I should have gone PS4 oh well...

Izuna

Banned
shooter? or just game in general? :p

First person shooter, yeah.

Try out the EPG. If you're playing Bounty Hunt it doesn't take too much to be competitive.

--

So I gotta go back and get these 5 achievements. I got all the collections already, so it should be fine.

EDIT: wow okay I can't skip any cutscenes. That's okay, they're good.

The Dude

Getting in a titan for me is hilarious. I think pilots do way to much damage, everyone converges on me in a second... Id rather see pilots fight on ground and let titans actually battle. That grenade Launcher really hits titans hard, 2 or 3 of those on a titan is pure overkill

Izuna

Banned
Getting in a titan for me is hilarious. I think pilots do way to much damage, everyone converges on me in a second... Id rather see pilots fight on ground and let titans actually battle. That grenade Launcher really hits titans hard, 2 or 3 of those on a titan is pure overkill

Wow you would have hated the original. Pilots in that could eat your Titan in about 7 seconds of Rodeo and you wouldn't even be guaranteed to have anything to counter. ;P

LOL my grenade launcher is my highest lv and most well used weapon.

Oh shit me too.

It isn't really OP if a Titan is playing as it should.
However the guys that run through the middle of the maps or go solo with their backs to high coverage areas are easy targets.
Very effective in a mass titan fight though because they never focus on the little ole pilots instead of the mech blasting at them.

The Dude

Wow you would have hated the original. Pilots in that could eat your Titan in about 7 seconds of Rodeo and you wouldn't even be guaranteed to have anything to counter. ;P

Totally opposite, loved the original... I could really lay waste with it. I am enjoying the gun play more as I play but I'm finding the titans to be totally a chore and very unrewarding

Izuna

Banned
It isn't really OP if a Titan is playing as it should.
However the guys that run through the middle of the maps or go solo with their backs to high coverage areas are easy targets.
Very effective in a mass titan fight though because they never focus on the little ole pilots instead of the mech blasting at them.

Meh, I just use it to get my Titan quicker or if I need to finish someone off. I don't like how weak the other Anti-Titan weapons are.

Turns out the retail PC game just has a download code inside.

If you have console I'd consider going that route as there aren't more than 10,000 people playing at a time which seems low to me and fear the online will die out like TF1 in a month or two I should have gone PS4 oh well...

Thing is I prefer playing FPS games on my PC. I was actually wondering about the PC/PS4 player populations as well.

malfcn

I feel like I've put a decent amount into the campaign and still have the last 3 missions left. How are people playing through so fast?

The "boss" Titans haven't been much of a challenge. Maybe after work, or hopefully Monday I can finish the story and hit mp.

I quit the campaign and some achievement popped, cool.

Jarmel

Banned
Don't jump out of your Titan in R2. It was a stupid thing to do in R1 and it's even dumber in this one.

At 30% or so towards your Core build, you get Electric Smoke (and every 30% or so after that). You stay still inside of the cloud and the Pilot will die if you did it as soon as they got on (if they decide to stay on).
Which is a stupid decision on the part of the developers. Now everybody has electric smoke and it makes rodeo'ing not usually worth the effort.

cb1115

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
you don't even have to use ADS with the Flatline lol

glad i saved up my credits to get it early

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, I think the "5 hours" stuff is just...

It's without the pointless padding seen in other "10 hours" campaigns. Besides, my time total (in gameplay) came up to about 5h30m. I decided to miss out on some achievements (though I did use a general area guide for the collectables).

Mechazawa

Like what?

It depends on when you last played. From tech test 1 to 2 they did stuff like wholesale change movement properties and added titan timers back into the game.

In the final, they moved around bounty hunter bank points(they're inside instead of being out in the open now) and reduced the intensity of that red outline on pilots.

Izuna

Banned
vwUsX1E.png

~~

Now to work my way towards Gen 10.

--

After I complete ReCore, which I may try to do tomorrow, my Forwardlog only consists of:

Forwardlog:
Scalebound
Crackdown 3
Ori 2
Wolfenstein 2
Battlefield 1 Campaign (EA Access)

So basically, Titanfall 2 is the only game I'll be playing for quite some time. I'm happy with that.

ReCore didn't get done because I wanted to get all the Slayer ratings in DOOM and that took a couple days.

They're just running around with like $700+, aren't they? =/

Those scrubs never make it that high.

Menitta

One of my problems with Bounty Hunt is that I almost don't want to stop and attack grunts because I'm nervous I'll die and lose 50%. Also, in general, I'm in a panic to get to the bank when I have like $300.

Izuna

Banned
One of my problems with Bounty Hunt is that I almost don't want to stop and attack grunts because I'm nervous I'll die and lose 50%. Also, in general, I'm in a panic to get to the bank when I have like $300.

What's really important is using the time in between rounds to take out enemy Titans.

--

.... 6AM UK, 70 in your region. I mean I know it's late but damn. Maybe I can get to Gen 2 before I sleep. I'm currently LV30. Thankfully I don't go into Uni on Monday because I'm killing classes rn

soultron

Banned
Finally got to try Attrition out, it feels like Battlefield (large-scale battle with tonnes of combatants on the field at once) without the capture points. Pretty awesome.

Top Bottom