• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

joebruin

Close enough. It's a pretty smart net code.

It's that sort of behaviour that keeps a 2-party system.

lol Titanfall 2 is the protest vote this year?

Not that simple. No one wants to be the first person amongst their friends to buy a game that they aren't sure their friends will follow suit in buying.

Not to mention lot of people can only afford one game or have time to play one game. Unfortunately that usually means Cod is the safe choice. Also despite what people like to claim cod ain't a shit game.

Izuna

Banned
well, so long as the net code is similar to R1, most of my PC buddies and i would play on EU servers [we're all in NA] because it was the only way to get full LTS games.

honestly never noticed any hindrance with my ~250 average ping playing on them servers.

Oh it's much better than R1.

R1, you would get judder and a ton of issues trying to Rodeo someone, as well as very jerky animations. As far as I'm aware, with a consistent connection that stuff is gone.

lol Titanfall 2 is the protest vote this year?

Not that simple. No one wants to be the first person amongst their friends to buy a game that they aren't sure their friends will follow suit in buying.

Not to mention lot of people can only afford one game or have time to play one game. Unfortunately that usually means Cod is the safe choice. Also despite what people like to claim cod ain't a shit game.

CoD being a safe choice is the epitome of a failing industry. I mean, look at how much hate that game can receive. If it does well despite all that, just because "well, it's either this or BF1 and I don't like BF" then I hope if anything, R2 releasing around this time gets a lot of people jumping ship.

The Dude

I just don't get how on about 5 matches I'm against not just 1 but about 3 or 4 guys on every team that are insane. Like did a match just now, 3 guys went over 20 kills. I lead my sad team with 14 kills and that's been about 4 matches in a row. The matchmaking seems fucked up

DirtyLarry

I was convinced the past 2 days I more or less had made a terrible mistake and I should just stay away from fast paced shooters.
While I am still not entirely convinced I do have no real business playing them, Amped Hardpoint appears to be the mode that I do not only like the most, but the mode I can actually contribute to the team and the goal. Makes sense I suppose. It focuses on a gameplay style I tend to do better at.

So all hope is not lost and I actually had fun tonight. I truly cannot settle on a Titan though. One paper I believe Northstar is the one to go with, but I am still basically getting pulverized as soon as I am in a Titan and any enemies are around me.

Which leads me to one question I hope a few people can answer as I do believe it will go a long way in myself embracing being in a Titan..

What can one do, if anything, to combat enemies rodeoing a Titan?
I see some enemies have anti rodeo counter measures, but is there anything all Titans can do to "shake" an enemy who is rodeoing? Or is the only way to do it without any equipped countermeasures to physically get out of one's Titan and handling it that way?

Izuna

Banned
Don't jump out of your Titan in R2. It was a stupid thing to do in R1 and it's even dumber in this one.

At 30% or so towards your Core build, you get Electric Smoke (and every 30% or so after that). You stay still inside of the cloud and the Pilot will die if you did it as soon as they got on (if they decide to stay on).

Animator

I was convinced the past 2 days I more or less had made a terrible mistake and I should just stay away from fast paced shooters.
While I am still not entirely convinced I do have no real business playing them, Amped Hardpoint appears to be the mode that I do not only like the most, but the mode I can actually contribute to the team and the goal. Makes sense I suppose. It focuses on a gameplay style I tend to do better at.

So all hope is not lost and I actually had fun tonight. I truly cannot settle on a Titan though. One paper I believe Northstar is the one to go with, but I am still basically getting pulverized as soon as I am in a Titan and any enemies are around me.

Which leads me to one question I hope a few people can answer as I do believe it will go a long way in myself embracing being in a Titan..

What can one do, if anything, to combat enemies rodeoing a Titan?
I see some enemies have anti rodeo counter measures, but is there anything all Titans can do to "shake" an enemy who is rodeoing? Or is the only way to do it without any equipped countermeasures to physically get out of one's Titan and handling it that way?

Yea you either get out or tell your teammates you have a pilot on you and somebody comes and punches him to paste.

Bsigg12

Don't jump out of your Titan in R2. It was a stupid thing to do in R1 and it's even dumber in this one.

At 30% or so towards your Core build, you get Electric Smoke (and every 30% or so after that). You stay still inside of the cloud and the Pilot will die if you did it as soon as they got on (if they decide to stay on).

Yep. There really isn't any benefit to leaving your Titan now especially without recharging shields.

Izuna

Banned
So is there a massively overpowered, in need of a nerf, titan loadout? Like the arc-strider loadout on TF1?

Legion
Overcore
(Increase Smart Core Timer)
+ Spare Battery

Shoot 80% of your clip on a Titan and activate Smart Core. You'll get the first Bounty Titan every time unless people are desperate to kill you etc.

Strider

I am so happy with how this game turned out... The mp is just sooooo good. The more I play and the more comfortable I get with the movement it just gets better and better.

I started the SP but didn't get very far. I'll play a little bit each day and probably have it done by the end of this next week tho.

What is R1 and R2?

Ah, internal lingo that is now popular.

I've no idea why people insist on using R1 and R2 as if the vast majority of people don't have to ask what they mean...

Rizzi

Australian server at last count had 420 people playing on it.
South Carolina one had 13247. So, yeah kind of actually dead here, and that is depressing as fuck.

Campaign has been enjoyable. Those helmets!
Multiplayer has been way too confusing and difficult to try more. Anyone else confused by the controls? Should I switch them back to Titanfall 1 defaults?

suaveric

Campaign question. I just
beat Ash
, how far am I? People are talking about beating this game in 6 hours and I feel like I've already played that much and I don't feel that close to the end.

Jito

Banned
Super hooked on the multiplayer now, wasn't keen on the beta but this feeling just like flying round maps on the original, bring on Angel City!

joebruin

why do people call this game R2? someone enlighten me.

CoD being a safe choice is the epitome of a failing industry. I mean, look at how much hate that game can receive. If it does well despite all that, just because "well, it's either this or BF1 and I don't like BF" then I hope if anything, R2 releasing around this time gets a lot of people jumping ship.

hate from who though? a majority of people still love that series. gaf and other hardcore communities is not an accurate representation of all gamers.

beat Ash
, how far am I? People are talking about beating this game in 6 hours and I feel like I've already played that much and I don't feel that close to the end.
I'd say
just about halfway, I'd say. Maybe not quite halfway yet, but just a smidge.

Foxxsoxx

wait wtf smart pistol isn't a normal weapon now?

Actually devastated about this.

image.php

beat Ash

That's the
Inception
level, right? You still have a ways to go, and its all amazing.

This game is so much fun. And I almost did not get it. That would have been sad. I'll pick up CoD some other time.

Might double dip on the Xbox version if I need to. Attrition and Bounty Hunt are really good.

Cannot wait until my next set of off days.

R2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

I don't get either the R1/R2 or "Don't misgender tone" things. Anyone care to explain?

Finished the campaign today and had a lengthy multiplayer session.

This game is so good.

Is the campaign worth the price of admission alone? I have almost no time for extensive multiplayer, so I was hoping the single player portion lived up to its potential. I had also heard some say the multiplayer was a let down from TF1, I take it you disagree?

Woo-Fu

Banned
Is the campaign worth the price of admission alone?

I can get a lot more entertainment from different games and/or different mediums than the 5 hours I got out of the campaign for the same amount or less than the game costs. So really you're the only one who can answer that question since only you know what you expect your money to buy.

Also think people are grading the campaign on a bit of a curve. Don't think it really holds a candle to Wolfenstein:TNO, Dishonored, Deus Ex:HR, Shadow Warrior 2, just as examples. Sure it is great compared to the campaigns of other EA multiplayer games that have token campaigns. :)

I wish there was a PC demo coming out, Honestly can't decide whether or not to buy this.
I don't recommend games to strangers very often, especially without knowing their likes and dislikes....but get this damn game. The campaign alone makes it worth it. And I haven't played a multiplayer this much since Gears of War 1 and Modern Warfare. CD Keys and Green Man Gaming both have this for sale at a pretty damn good price too.

Izuna

Banned
I don't get either the R1/R2 or "Don't misgender tone" things. Anyone care to explain?

One of the most popular Titans, Tone, is female. Some people may refer to all Titans as a he automatically.

and http://i.imgur.com/fNGnxwl.png <-- R2 is the internal name for Titanfall 2. R1 was for the original.

Is the campaign worth the price of admission alone? I have almost no time for extensive multiplayer, so I was hoping the single player portion lived up to its potential. I had also heard some say the multiplayer was a let down from TF1, I take it you disagree?

Oh god yes.

If Half Life Episode 3 came out with just the campaign, would it be worth it?

I feel like I've played something even better.

--

I have just finished the Campaign on Master. Outside of that one area I skipped early on, it wasn't too challenging but it sure died a bunch the first time I encountered certain things.

Respawn, you guys are fucking incredible.

OneUh8

I wish there was a PC demo coming out, Honestly can't decide whether or not to buy this.

fwiw I got it on PC and I am loving it. Fantastic. Campaign is supposedly really good, but I have just been playing multiplayer and it is super good. Up there with Overwatch as my fav multiplayer game in some time. I bought BF1 also, but have yet to touch it since this came out. Tons of fun.

Did they at least reduce the time to get titans and smooth out the traversal? Those were my big gripes in the beta.
Time to get a titan is pretty fast as long as you focus on objectives. In a game of Bounty Hunt or Amped Hardpoint you can get a titan in under a minute if you get enough grunt kills and such.

joebruin

its good but still probably not worth full price if you just want to play the campaign. any reason you can't just wait for it to go on sale? or rent it if you have a redbox near you.

Izuna

Banned
Did they at least reduce the time to get titans and smooth out the traversal? Those were my big gripes in the beta.

There are so many ways to get a Titan quickly depending on how you play. Really, it's a non-issue. If the other team gets a Titan first, you can feed build time of them very easily.

~ Traversal isn't at R1 levels, but the other maps don't leave Pilots as sitting ducks. So while it isn't as fast as you'd like at times, it's not as bad as it was in the Tech Test maps.

How do you get rid of the shitty film grain?

Literally, a Respawn dev said they didn't even think this game was supposed to have any. Dunno if it's a bug or what, but it's on all platforms and you can't do shit to remove it (no, lowering brightness doesn't remove it).

There a few times where it's noticeable.

its good but still probably not worth full price if you just want to play the campaign. any reason you can't just wait for it to go on sale? or rent it if you have a redbox near you.

Pray tell, what Campaign would be worth the full price to you? You can pick any game in history.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I remember hyping the first game to high-heaven, and then getting just completely outclassed online and shelving it permanently after about two weeks.

I'm pretty decent at video games. Never fantastic... not even great, but can usually hold my own pretty well (with the occasional crappy losing streak). This gen I've grown to really love Rainbow Six: Siege and Overwatch, two titles where I can occasionally carry a team, and where I know WHY I failed when I do poorly.

But in Titanfall, I was just getting stomped all.the.time. Like, I'd have three or four kills in a match when others would have 10-20. After ~15 hours of that, I couldn't take it any more.

I don't even know what could change to avoid that and be better for me specifically in the sequel. But would anyone care to comment? Is the barrier to entry a bit lower?

wurzle

Neo Member

I finished the campaign tonight, and I think it is excellent. Fun from start to finish, lots of varied gameplay mechanics to keep it mixed up, and very high production values throughout. My only gripe would be that the game isn't particularly difficult, but I only played on Hard (there is one more higher difficulty level than that).

Having said that, it is very short. I'm not sure of the exact amount of time it took me to get through it, but Origin shows I've played TiF2 for 5 hours. If you're pressed for time and want a great single player campaign that you can complete in a few hours... go for it. If you don't think that's enough gameplay value for your $, I'd wait for it to go on sale.

Top Bottom