• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |OT| Don't Misgender Tone.

Bought the game yesterday and polished off the single player this evening. A thoroughly enjoyable campaign that has to be the best in a long, long time.

It's a shame it was so short as I didn't want it to end. I loved the different types of levels you faced and that at times it felt like I was in a Portal/Titanfall love child

We all knew what the fate of BT was going to be as soon as we saw the trailer, but I was still bummed when he finally bought the farm.

I really hope we get some more single player DLC as it's by and far my favourite part of TF2 to date.

SkylineRKR

In BF and Overwatch I feel like I'm not really contributing. Even when I end at a high spot. I never really know when I am going to win or lose a game because the teams are so big.

In Titanfall 2 (and Destiny for that matter), more of my good games convert to wins.

HelloMeow

Yep, happened in Alpha Tech Test, and it happens here. I think it's because the server wants to confirm for the other player that they're nor actually ejecting... at least for a few moments, so they don't mash X only to find out they were executed to having a bad connection.

That's fair, to be honest. It's not too hard to Goose or chase an enemy down. I never feel like I was unable to react to a Titan trying to execute me.

It happens when they're fighting and walking around. It just deals some damage and most of the time you can kill them by shooting them. It just doesn't connect.

The campaign was REALLY inspired, and just super cool overall. Very creative gameplay, excellent level design, and the pacing is perfect. Above everything though, T2 is easily the best feeling FPS I have ever played. I wish aiming in all games could feel this good. The only minor thing is that I think the auto-aim is a little too strong, but otherwise its absolute perfection.

Also, how cool was that level where
you platform on the sideways house/building?
Obviously it reminded me a lot of Uncharted 3 but the first person perspective made it unique.

The
time travel
mechanic was by far the best thing though. It was fucking amazing. I wish I could have an entire game with it but obviously that would be a crazy production effort.

Some negatives:
-Although they managed to get me caring about BT by the end of the game, overall the writing is weak. Its just too cliche and standard affair. The plot and characters aren't terribly interesting, but good enough to motivate I suppose.
-The enemy designs are just...meh? There are only a couple of interesting enemy types, although I appreciate the variety. The AI is also a weaker aspect. I played on hard and don't get me wrong, the AI is effective in providing a decent challenge, but their routines and overall behavior are predictable and kind of static.
-The soundtrack isnt memorable at all. I'm not saying that CoD4 or MW2 had masterful soundtracks but there were at least a few in each game that absolutely stood out and were awesome during the gameplay. I cant remember any of the music in this game though.

Plyaed some multiplayer and the only things I dont like are the third person animations and the fact that Titans dont have shields. I find the latter annoying to be honest. The TTK is also a bit low for my tastes but I'll need to play more to see if I can get used to it.

Strider

I feel the new Battlefield offers both elements. There are times where nothing is clicking and other times your team is operating like butter. Halo has aspects where even randoms can figure out the objective.

So far here I could almost disable visuals on all teammates and have the same experience.

You're constantly relying on teammates in battlefield. Whether through ammo packs, health packs, revives or whatever else... and I'm not even gonna get started on how terrible solo queue is in halo 5... at least at the mid onyx level. It's a disaster lol

We'll just have to agree to disagree... but I'm happy that in this game my success isn't determined by who my teammates are and I can have fun regardless. It's a positive from my point of view.

Sanjuro

As a lone wolf, I'm kinda glad it doesn't require that much teamwork.

I pretty much only play solo nowadays, but I appreciate when games add features which assist in randoms coming together. There really is not much here.

Not calling it a massive downside, but I can see it altering my enjoyment down the road.

You're constantly relying on teammates in battlefield. Whether through ammo packs, health packs, revives or whatever else... and I'm not even gonna get started on how terrible solo queue is in halo 5 lol at least at the mid onyx level. It's a disaster lol

We'll just have to agree to disagree... but I'm happy that in this game my success isn't determined by who my teammates are and I can have fun regardless.

I've pretty much only played Halo 5 solo the past several months and have had an absolute blast.

taoofjord

Can't wait to find out which level is each person's favorite once I finish the campaign . I think I'm going to have a hard time picking.

Anyone else finding that incoming Titans sometimes isn't called out? Sometimes you will get a voiceover saying a Titan will be falling on your location but often I am being crushed by Titans that I don't even know are coming.

Izuna

Banned
It happens when they're fighting and walking around. It just deals some damage and most of the time you can kill them by shooting them. It just doesn't connect.

It's a little part of why I just use Legion and Smart Core and say fuck it. There are diminishing returns on actually trying to do executions etc. in this game, despite the invincibility.

--

Okay guys, Xbox One party set up? Message Cobalt Izuna so I see you

Xbox TitanGAF happy hour is in 90 minutes

Anyone else finding that incoming Titans sometimes isn't called out? Sometimes you will get a voiceover saying a Titan will be falling on your location but often I am being crushed by Titans that I don't even know are coming.

It's just too quite. In R1 you'd get these loud beeps everytime. That's why I turned the rest of the sound options down so I can listen in. The worst is that Reapers can crush you and there is NO indication ;(

Drewfonse

Can't wait to find out which level is each person's favorite once I finish the campaign . I think I'm going to have a hard time picking.

For me it was
the level where you have to move that huge radar dish looking thing. The scale was monstrous. I think BT was literally skeet shooting enemies as you zip line towards him at the end hahaha

Gorillaz

Variety 8v8 is perfect it doesn't feel as insane as ground war given the space. The one thing I dont like tho is the way the lobby is split each game. Or the fact I played amped hard point 3 times in a row in it. Enough breh.

Drewfonse

Phase Shift is insane. I can't see an argument for anything being better. I haven't switched since I unlocked it. It's incredibly versatile and useful defensively/offensively.

Try joining a network and matchmaking with the network. I've had better games like this.

How does phase shift work?

Level 37 in MP now and more than recent COD i feel like there is some bad lag compensation or something... too many shot around the corner... "i fired first" deaths. Really starting to bum me out. Love the game but TF1 on XboxOne felt much better than TF2 on PS4.

Respawn... what is the server situation on PS4? Just coincidence it doesn't feel as good?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
How does phase shift work?

Very similar to Ronin's phaseshift. Good for closing the distance or evading tricky situations. You go into an alternate dimension for a little bit. There's a visual indicator that an enemy has done it (a blue flash and they disappear).

You can move around/reload/etc. in the alternate dimension, and then you pop back out in a few (~2-3) seconds. When your phase shifting, you can't see anyone whose in the other dimension & vice versa. If the other pilot phase shifts, you will see him in the alternate dimension.

I've used it to phase shift and then flank opponents, phase shift and kill a camper, rush a titan and time my phase shift to Rodeo right away, etc. Of course, I mostly use it as an escape (I get shot, phase shift instantly and find cover).

aravuus

Oh wow, multiplayer got ten times more fun when I ditched the SMGs and ARs and started using the starting shotgun.

Still doing like shit but at least it's more fun with this gun.

grmlin

So I bought it and fuck it feels so so great. I love it, and I'm only 1hr into the campaing (maybe)

Can't wait to play more the next days.

Dumb question, but does this game have two player split screen online?

I doubt it, but googling didn't give me a no or yes, so I'm guessing no.

protonion

So which Titan is better against pilots?

I'm using only Tone for now and although his weapon feels strong, it takes many hits to kill one. I can one shot them only from really close .

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So which Titan is better against pilots?

I'm using only Tone for now and although his weapon feels strong, it takes many hits to kill one. I can one shot them only from really close .

Ronin is great against pilots.

Arrrammis

Is it true there are only 9 maps in multiplayer?

9 maps, and 8 modes. No paid DLC, more maps and weapons are coming for free in December.

As far as "only" 9 maps, there are a lot of online shooters that have launched with fewer maps. The ones in Titanfall are all different, promoting different playstyles, so it doesn't seem like it will get stale quickly.

Drewfonse

Very similar to Ronin's phaseshift. Good for closing the distance or evading tricky situations. You go into an alternate dimension for a little bit. There's a visual indicator that an enemy has done it (a blue flash and they disappear).

You can move around/reload/etc. in the alternate dimension, and then you pop back out in a few (~2-3) seconds. When your phase shifting, you can't see anyone whose in the other dimension & vice versa. If the other pilot phase shifts, you will see him in the alternate dimension.

I've used it to phase shift and then flank opponents, phase shift and kill a camper, rush a titan and time my phase shift to Rodeo right away, etc. Of course, I mostly use it as an escape (I get shot, phase shift instantly and find cover).

Sounds amazing !

Argonomic

Level 37 in MP now and more than recent COD i feel like there is some bad lag compensation or something... too many shot around the corner... "i fired first" deaths. Really starting to bum me out. Love the game but TF1 on XboxOne felt much better than TF2 on PS4.

Respawn... what is the server situation on PS4? Just coincidence it doesn't feel as good?

Should be better in all cases. Higher tic rate, better code. Stupid question, but has anything changed on your end? Does X1 Titanfall 1 still play better in this regard when you load it up?

bought this today in spite of being let down by the technical test - dove straight into the multiplayer and played a few rounds of attrition and bounty hunt.

holy fuck. i'm in love.

Dalibor68

Banned
9 maps, and 8 modes. No paid DLC, more maps and weapons are coming for free in December.

Is it known how many more maps in December? I mean "no paid DLC" is laudable, but not so much when you cut map count almost in half from 15 in TF1 at launch. Or are the TF2 maps so much bigger/better?

*edit* Seems to be only one map in december which is actually just a remaster of Angel City. Yeah definitely not falling for this "Look at our cool free DLC policy!!!".

Should be better in all cases. Higher tic rate, better code. Stupid question, but has anything changed on your end? Does X1 Titanfall 1 still play better in this regard when you load it up?

Plays great. Yeah idk what's with it. It's not "horrible" by any means just that "shot around corner" shit going on.

JaMarco

41K people online and rising, there was 36K yesterday right? Seems like word of mouth is helping the game.

(Xbox)
Yea great word of mouth is the only way this game is going to thrive. It just didn't have the brand recognition/hype has BF and CoD. So far so good though.

Boy I really hate that you can't customize your pilot look. I can't even use half the pilot abilities because I hate how that character looks.

Zemm

I feel like I need to slow down in the MP, just because you can wallrun everywhere doesn't mean you should. I end up putting myself in some bad situations.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I feel like certain modes should be consolidated/removed -- I would get rid of Free For All, Pilot Hunter, and add Skirmish, make Variety incorporate all those modes. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking that, but there shouldn't be too many modes and I feel like there is at the moment.

Also, Variety can also include "fun" gametypes eventually, like the one where the ground is lava/fire.

I feel like I need to slow down in the MP, just because you can wallrun everywhere doesn't mean you should. I end up putting myself in some bad situations.

It feels like you're more likely to stumble into a pack of pilots than in TF1. I end up taking one guy by surprise and then his two buddies tear me apart instantly

OMG
Theres a free battery Boost? lol ITS GAME OVER! ITS GAME OVER!

I consider it a must have for Ronin, quicker Sword Core charge+extra health makes me a happy boy.

Geist-

Well, I've practically 100% the game.
4lKGBZD.png

But the "Win a Multiplayer Match" won't proc. I've already won like 20 matches, I don't know what's wrong.

soultron

Banned
Hard to find a game in Variety PLs on PC.

Request for any Respawn staff reading: Can we have all PLs listed on one page so they have a better chance at being discovered by all players?

Top Bottom