• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

J-Rzez

So there's that auto targeting system that's demonstrated in the tutorial. I wonder if someone figured out how to quickly hack that into being an aimbot during the beta?

Don't know. All I know is they snap to and headshot you.

So, remember yesterday when people were using a modified exe to play the game early...

Good stuff then... : /

Yes.

It's called the Smart Pistol and is a feature, not a cheat.

LOL 10/10 if sarcasm. If not... this was the dmr.

Been playing for several hour this morning. Beat the IMC campaignm then went to Attrition. Not doing as well as I did in the Beta, struggling to get up to a 2 KDR. I don't know why, but if I don't end a match with at least that KDR, I feel really disappointed in myself.

1939702_10152113405027819_119013812_n.jpg
Nice! Always a rush when a match ends so well.

Haven't had one quite so good, but I think it's mostly due to unfamiliarity with the maps and getting my groove back.

Mesoian

Are we lumped together by skill in the real MP? I've only played Campaign and it seems to be a free-for-all in that regard.

Feels like the game is having trouble placing people into the campaign. Last 5 matches were horribly uneven the whole time.

Caayn

Arrggg mission select throws me in random missions and not in the mission I selected >.> And I can't see which missions I've won with which faction :(

Cool little feature, you can change the server you're on by pressing X in the main menu. Don't ask me why servers for Japan show up in that list.

DryvBy

Uh, Boneyard really doesn't run that well on the bone. (Pun intended). That's a 60fps gif of the worst seconds that I had. Probably just due to some background loading, but the map was generally a bit sluggish. Seems to get worse when smoke effects are involved. I really hope that the patch will improve things.

i1S2NDI5sWkgH.gif

Giant Bomb wasn't making it up then. Crazy.

ACE 1991

I played the beta for a couple hours and enjoyed it; but didn't "wow" me. But upon the beta's close, I slowly found myself reminiscing about the game more and more - to the point of true hype. As much as I'd love to have gotten Titanfall on PC; I really need something to justify my Xbox One purchase at launch - and this seemed like the game to do it. As the release has neared, I've found myself increasingly more excited - to the point I went to the midnight release and even took today off work.

My impressions after about ~six or seven hours of playing.

It's totally fun. Maneuvering around the maps is a blast - really does feel truly fresh. The controls are tight - and while wall-running can be a bit wonky, I'll scratch that up to my inexperience. I imagine in a couple days, I'll be bouncing around like a pro - and I truly love that the player movement is an additional level of skill. Taking some of the skill away from just quick-twitch aim and instead into knowing the intricacies of a map and the jump, and being able to shave a second or two off your journey is something I absolutely loved in games like Halo 1 & 2, and while I was never good - Quake.

Which takes me to a comparison that's not truly fair - but I have to think to myself "how does this stack up against my favorite multiplayer FPS games? Which are, unquestionably, Halo 2 as an all-time favorite and Team Fortress 2 as a distant second. Both games run off teamwork - a good team - with good communication and an eagerness to help can overcome a lot of challenges. Additionally, everything is so layered - knowing the perfect sniping location, the perfect way to launch a warthog in a base, the perfect path to sneak a bomb to the assault location, where to hide with a flag, where to put up a sentry, where a medic can hide to heal his team; all of those things add so many additional layers to the strategy.

And that's where I think Titanfall will fall short. The gameplay is tight. The maps are surprisingly good - and there's a lot of them. The controls are nearly spot-on. The Titans themselves are a blast. There's a lot of action, and I'm having lots of fun. Totally worth the $60. But I'm already - on day one - finding myself realizing that every match is basically a bunch of people bouncing around shooting whatever rolls in front of them. The "strategy" is missing. And while that's not a bad thing, it's something that I would have really enjoyed. .. it just doesn't suit itself too well with this kind of game.

Though, I will say, I think an Invasion-type mode could do wonder for adding this additional layer if done right.

I think a lot of this has to due with the game being so new. People are more interested in trying out all the toys and options that Titanfall has to offer, I image the game will become more strategic once people figure out various strategies and map routes. Of course none of this kind of play will come out of solo queuing for matches, however.

jet1911

When this game comes together in a match it's so fucking good. I had a match on the map with the big ship (Oddyssey I think) and our team lost. I spawned at the opposite side of the dropship waypoint, call in my Titan (Stryder yo), dash like a madman to the dropship where all the ennemies are grouped. I fire a couple of shot from the Triple Threat, nuclear eject in their faces killing a couple of pilots and a Titan and I land in the dropship. So. Good.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Awww, yiss, no better feeling than ejecting your doomed Titan and shooting the dude who doomed it while falling.

Jonboy

So for those who picked up a One with Titanfall's launch, are you satisfied/happy with the purchase? Any buyer's remorse?

I only ask because I'm considering it. Been on the fence for a while now. Already have a PS4 though and certainly will spend most of my time there.

Coconut

Banned
I played the beta for a couple hours and enjoyed it; but didn't "wow" me. But upon the beta's close, I slowly found myself reminiscing about the game more and more - to the point of true hype. As much as I'd love to have gotten Titanfall on PC; I really need something to justify my Xbox One purchase at launch - and this seemed like the game to do it. As the release has neared, I've found myself increasingly more excited - to the point I went to the midnight release and even took today off work.

It's totally fun. Maneuvering around the maps is a blast - really does feel truly fresh. The controls are tight - and while wall-running can be a bit wonky, I'll scratch that up to my inexperience. I imagine in a couple days, I'll be bouncing around like a pro - and I truly love that the player movement is an additional level of skill. Taking some of the skill away from just quick-twitch aim and instead into knowing the intricacies of a map and the jump, and being able to shave a second or two off your journey is something I absolutely loved in games like Halo 1 & 2, and while I was never good - Quake.

Which takes me to a comparison that's not truly fair - but I have to think to myself "how does this stack up against my favorite multiplayer FPS games? Which are, unquestionably, Halo 2 as an all-time favorite and Team Fortress 2 as a distant second. Both games run off teamwork - a good team - with good communication and an eagerness to help can overcome a lot of challenges. Additionally, everything is so layered - knowing the perfect sniping location, the perfect way to launch a warthog in a base, the perfect path to sneak a bomb to the assault location, where to hide with a flag, where to put up a sentry, where a medic can hide to heal his team; all of those things add so many additional layers to the strategy.

And that's where I think Titanfall will fall short. The gameplay is tight. The maps are surprisingly good - and there's a lot of them. The controls are nearly spot-on. The Titans themselves are a blast. There's a lot of action, and I'm having lots of fun. Totally worth the $60. But I'm already - on day one - finding myself realizing that every match is basically a bunch of people bouncing around shooting whatever rolls in front of them. The "strategy" is missing. And while that's not a bad thing, it's something that I would have really enjoyed. .. it just doesn't suit itself too well with this kind of game.

Though, I will say, I think an Invasion-type mode could do wonder for adding this additional layer if done right.

In COD games strategy comes later it's always a shooting cluster fuck upfront. also play the capture point matches if you are looking for strategy. it's funny because I feel like all halo games even later in their life span are still just shoot and then run at them until their shield is down.

Izuna

Banned
Been playing for several hour this morning. Beat the IMC campaignm then went to Attrition. Not doing as well as I did in the Beta, struggling to get up to a 2 KDR. I don't know why, but if I don't end a match with at least that KDR, I feel really disappointed in myself.

Nice! Always a rush when a match ends so well.

Haven't had one quite so good, but I think it's mostly due to unfamiliarity with the maps and getting my groove back.

It is happening like that consistently, the G2A4 is the best gun I have ever used.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
So for those who picked up a One with Titanfall's launch, are you satisfied/happy with the purchase? Any buyer's remorse?

I only ask because I'm considering it. Been on the fence for a while now. Already have a PS4 though and certainly will spend most of my time there.

If you like online shooters, buy it. If you like them but are a damn noob like me, buy it.

Tsundere

Banned

Do you have a decent PC? You can most likely run Titanfall no problem if so, just have to keep the resolution in check. You can find the game pretty cheap as well.

HBP

Kinda bummed I won't get to play today, Amazon messed up my release day delivery but they gave me a $20 credit on my next order so that is nice.

Awww, yiss, no better feeling than ejecting your doomed Titan and shooting the dude who doomed it while falling.
My third match into the game and I was starting to finally get kills and learn how to not die in Titanfall every couple of seconds. I get my titan, I take out 3 other titans which began surrounding me, take out a bunch of Grunts and Pilots, then an enemy titan rushes me and manages to take me out while the enemy team collectively fired missiles.

I eject, land directly on the nearest roof then proceeded to take out revenge on the Titan which took me down before getting filled with more holes than Swiss cheese. It was amazing.

Just as it was with the beta, after a couple hours I got into this game's groove and I'm in nirvana mode. Can't get enough. That season pass is as good as bought for me.

So yeah, I dont care what anyone else says. I'm playing this game on my One and it is bloody beautiful. The maps, the scenery, the landscape, the skyboxes, the artstyle. Its all beautiful and I feel a constant urge to just look at the scenery instead of playing the game.

I agree. I think the game looks really nice, even at this resolution. I'd be thrilled if they just kept the resolution where it's at, and fixed the screen tearing and framerate hiccups. They're my only technical complaints.

creid

neogaf pilots, where can I get Titanfall + Season Pass (PC) for cheap (cheaper than 79.99)?
If you're in NA: If GMG still has that $10 off code, you could get the game for $50, then either get the season pass at full price for $25, or get it at GMG for 25 w/ $2 cash back or $4 store credit back. Still not too huge of a deal, but it's less than $80.

Camp Lo

Banned
Feels like the game is having trouble placing people into the campaign. Last 5 matches were horribly uneven the whole time.

It's been like that since before the flood gates were opened last night. I just played a few rounds in Pilot Hunter and it's the same thing.

I'd like to play with people of the same skill level, keeps people from quitting. =/

neogaf pilots, where can I get Titanfall + Season Pass (PC) for cheap (cheaper than 79.99)?

Mexico VPN, you'll get it for 40+, my regular copy was 38.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
Kind of a side note, I never knew Origin let you customize your box art in your games list. I set mine to a GIF from True Detective, and it actually plays the GIF, lol.

Sanjuro

Only played a few games, but this game is pretty fun.

CTF is by far my favorite thing. Too bad people don't understand the concept yet!

Well said. That's why I had such a hard time getting into the beta: No strategy and no teamwork.

Izuna

Banned
I don't like it. The match trigger removes 6 bullets from the magazine for some reason and it fires too slow without the match trigger.

I use the suppressor, Match Trigger is good when you are going to Rodeo a Titan however, but I haven't unlocked it yet haha.

In COD games strategy comes later it's always a shooting cluster fuck upfront. also play the capture point matches if you are looking for strategy. it's funny because I feel like all halo games even later in their life span are still just shoot and then run at them until their shield is down.

Last Titan Standing also requires tons of good strategy, especially if the teams are not even since being smart can go a long way to turning the match around.

Hey TitanGAF, what am I doing wrong with VPN-unlocking this game? I turn on TunnelBear, select US as my region, activate it, run Origin, run Titanfall and it can't find any data centers. When I turn off TunnelBear, and try Titanfall again, it can find servers. I select closest one (Western Europe), click play, wait for the map to load, and after some slowdown during loading and selecting my class and titan, server just disconnects me.

HelloMeow

I use the suppressor, Match Trigger is good when you are going to Rodeo a Titan however, but I haven't unlocked it yet haha.

When you use it, you only have 8 rounds in your magazine, which makes it kinda useless against multiple targets.

I was looking forward to using it, but it just has too many disadvantages. It's perfectly possible to do well with it, but I feel I do much better with the carbine or SMG.

Izuna

Banned
When you use it, you only have 8 rounds in your magazine, which makes it kinda useless against multiple targets.

I was looking forward to using it, but it just has too many disadvantages. It's perfectly possible to do well with it, but I feel I do much better with the carbine or SMG.

After I finish the final Campaign mission I will upload a few highlights. Carbine is so far brilliant, but for long range it's no where near as good. It also feels great when firing.

Dazzyman

Well just got mine (am in UK) and just booting.

Feel free to add me tag = Dazzyman and xbone console :)

As for the game I'm not expecting anything more than COD style with mechs, it's what I bought it for, if your bored of COD then it won't b for you. I ain't expecting it to revolutionise anything, just want tight fighting and balanced. After the mess of Battlefield 4 I'm bloody looking forward to a non broken mess!

See you on The Fields

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
I'm about to finally play TitanFall! I just had one question - is Xbox Live being wonky for anyone else? Xbox Live seems to not want to load my store or pins - it says it could be something on their end and my internet seems to be working.

Man, this game takes forever to fully install. 97% to 99% have taken 40 minutes alone. It has been an hour and 25 minutes total thus far!

Oh, and feel free to add me on the Xbox One: CharlesARatliff

Jrs3000

If you want strategy then do LTS, CTF, and Hardpoint or do any mode with your friends who'll coordinate with you as far as load outs to compliment each other and tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom