• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall |OT| Titan Online. Signal When Ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zakalwe

Banned
I'm on the fence. I WANT to like this game, I mean...

+Holy shit MECHS
+I like the sci fi aesthetic
+A lot of modes and content

But...

-Origin only
-Kind of looks like a CoD clone
-Ugmo hud

I'll keep my eyes on it and see what GAF says before I dive in.

Origin is fine.
It's not a cod clone.
The HUD is fine too.

Seriously though, it may have elements similar to cod in places but the comparison is lazy at best. This game has lots of small innovations and ideas that make it differ, and a few large ones, and these things add to more than the sum.

Trust us.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
I'm not much of an FPS Player, and I've never purchased a CoD or BF in the entire past generation (or... ever, really.) I got PvZ GW 2 weeks back, and though it was slow, it's 3rd person attention to detail, personality, and overall high quality of presentation, full of unique presentation, lovingly rendered animations, and near fighting game-like balance (obvious character classes, useful "palette swaps", balance through a mix of features, not a linear, robotic plus/minus ideals) won me over big time. I look forward to playing it when I'm not, and it's few themes and sound effects get stuck in my head.

So, I got Titanfall in an attempt to keep up this wave, and see if it's finally time for me to get more serious about competitive FPS, while it takes some time for my awesome fighters, beat-em-ups, and local co-op games to come out...

... I'm really not impressed so far. I can easily see I need to give it time, but this hasn't hit me well at all yet.

Dislikes:
  • I feel like All I ever see out replay death cam is a lucky camper getting a kill.
    • It all feels so impersonal. Stock Soldier VS Stock Soldier, GOz!
  • When they DO get the kill, it looks like imprecise bullets grazed my leg and got me.
  • Death is so fast, it kinda lacks satisfaction.
  • Titan gameplay is fun, but I don't always feel particularly powerful in one, yet.
  • The campaign has been so boring! It felt very by-the-numbers from what I played so far, up to the Militia "Sacrifice" that occurred.
  • Troops are frickin samey looking, have very little unique about them.
  • Animations for pilot characters leave much to be desired.
    • Executions are the same thing every time. Couldn't be a Knife Jab, a throat slit, a power punch, etc? Context sensitive due to remaining health? SOMETHING...

Minus these grievances, there are some things I like, of course:
  • Titan VS Human gameplay can be fun.
    • Pilot VS Titan Brain Makes you feel sneaky and crafty.
  • The dynamic traversal feels good when you pull off a perfect chain of actions.
  • It does have SOME color to it!
    • The beast running around give it some lore. Can this reflect to the player characters some?
  • The Campaign might not be doing much for me, but I appreciate that it's there.
  • The idea of AI enemies helps force people into revealing themselves more than JUST snipe-camping, which is a great idea for the huge maps.
  • I can see myself learning to like the games unique aspects eventually. It's just not quick love.
  • I'm actually impressed with how non "try hard" the foul language and gritty dialog has been. It's been a bit campy, sure, but in a good way.

I just don't feel that "Vastly superior, Killer App, Instant Classic!" feeling from this game, personally. It's a very solid effort, but I've had more fun and quick appreciation from many games I've played, even on my XB1. It's a great reaffirmation that I have no issue ignoring hype-generating first person shooters for years at a time.

If your idea of satisfying weaponry comes from things like Virtua On and EDF, the attacks here are strikingly mundane. Gunplay with some Weight, Risk, and Power behind it would be appreciated, but I'm getting that "it might as well all be a machine gun!" feel from things so far. This is better with Titans, but I've yet to find the proper steps to make my dance of shot-and-shields feel fun. At least I have Boost Dashes!

Someone made mention that being able to SEE the bullets in PvZ GW was a nice change of pace, and I can see what they mean after playing this for a day. It's so strikingly impersonal and hype deflating to just watch Pilots fall from barely-an-attack.

Maybe something will finally click for me as I gain levels...

Nydius

Yes it is ridiculous. I dread to think how leveled up some players are. Even if this doesn't have a massive bearing on weapons (?), practice makes perfect and those players are obviously getting a good go whilst you wait.

On Monday, when I was playing via Korean VPN, I ran into three people who were already in the mid-30s of Gen 2. Seen a few Gen 2 players since "official" North American launch, as well.

I asked last night but got no response, if I start the campaign I don't have to finish it in one sitting right? I have to go to sleep in about 45 minutes.

TheOddOne

There were a surprising number of posters in here who should be eating crow for breakfast , as they insisted up and down that the TitanFall launch would be "flawless". Dummies.

There are many, many more 'dummies' who wanted this game to be a train wreck.
There is a more civil way to discuss this, but this way leads to flame wars.

Yes, the launch has had its problem and should be up for debate.

kewlmyc

I usually run a silenced weapon in CoD games, but it's just not working out for me in this game. Plus everyone seems to be more focused on titans to care about pilots.

Does anyone else run with suppressors in this game?

Also, it frustrating when you have a group of friends that rather play in their titans than capture points on hardpoint.

Nydius

I asked last night but got no response, if I start the campaign I don't have to finish it in one sitting right? I have to go to sleep in about 45 minutes.

No. It marks your progress and when you come back to it, matchmaking initially tries to find people on the same chapter. Full disclosure though: If there aren't enough people to fill up (which should be unlikely now, I'd think), the game will expand the search to "previous chapters". That may result in knocking you back a chapter or two, but nothing major.

Edit:

I tried to use the suppressor on both the first SMG and the carbine but, like you, I didn't find them to be all that great. For me, it felt like the hit on damage was too much to justify the benefit of minimap concealment, especially given that there are burn cards and pilot abilities that can completely negate being hidden on the minimap.

Yeah, but like you I'm questioning the point of it. Even when I spy someone firing on the minimap, the verticality of the levels and the speed anyone can move (and kill) at mean it's not exactly slamdunk information. Plus there are instant replays to give your position away, so camping one spot with a silenced weapon is silly. It's probably better to have a deeper clip in a weapon that does more damage.

No. It marks your progress and when you come back to it, matchmaking initially tries to find people on the same chapter. Full disclosure though: If there aren't enough people to fill up (which should be unlikely now, I'd think), the game will expand the search to "previous chapters". That may result in knocking you back a chapter or two, but nothing major.

Nope, you can resume campaign

Awesome, thankyou both.

aEku

Played a couple hours and finished the imc campaugn. Level 11. This game is pure joy but it needs battlefields spotting since i am always trying to spot players by accident and throwing grenades instead. Ugh

Also the load times and lobby wait times need to drop

i too miss the spotting-ability that battlefield has.

I usually run a silenced weapon in CoD games, but it's just not working out for me in this game. Plus everyone seems to be more focused on titans to care about pilots.

Also, it frustrating when you have a group of friends that rather play in their titans than capture points on hardpoint.

Being sneaky in this game feels useless, it's such a fast paced and hectic game that something like silencers feels pointless. With so much going on screen, even if you miss someone or get close enough, they can often just ignore you and keep on going as they didn't notice you.

I'm not much of an FPS Player

Honestly, I don't see someone who doesn't enjoy FPS games liking this game.

This was obviously made for FPS gamers and though I would assume it tries to be casual enough to allow non FPS players become accustomed to it, the fact that it has no SP mode makes it feel it was for the many people who are already accustomed and like FPS games. Respawn is obviously targetting a certain audience.If you never liked FPS games, I honestly don't see Titanfall being the game to convince you otherwise. Halo, Bioshock, or Half Life 2 would be more apt at that imo.

On Monday, when I was playing via Korean VPN, I ran into three people who were already in the mid-30s of Gen 2. Seen a few Gen 2 players since "official" North American launch, as well.

I have managed to get four games in this morning (attrition only as no other players are being matched) and there were mainly 20's, 30's and some 40's. I think they were all plain levels not Generation.

How do you tell when someone is on Gen 1 and upwards; I assume there is an icon of some kind?

Keep an eye out for great deals on it. With all the competition between the digital download sites in the PC space...crazy deals will pop up.

Im looking everyday for the past few weeks, £25 I think was the cheapest. I just can't afford it, I recently moved to Germany and its been pretty hard when only my girlfriend speaks fluent German I have been trying to make a living off of writing because I dont speak much, its tough :p

When I finally manage to pick it up maybe it will actually be working as well...

No don't do it, its not worth losing the damage stats just so you can stay hidden. Whenever there was a 1 to 1 fight I always lost with the suppressor on. That thing is only good for farming grunt kills.

Nydius

I have managed to get four games in this morning (attrition only as no other players are being matched) and there were mainly 20's, 30's and some 40's. I think they were all plain levels not Generation.

How do you tell when someone is on Gen 1 and upwards; I assume there is an icon of some kind?

Yup, they all look like weird SIM cards.

Titanfall_Regeneration_Generation_Ranks.PNG

G17

Dislikes:

• ]
  • When they DO get the kill, it looks like imprecise bullets grazed my leg and got me.
  • Death is so fast, it kinda lacks satisfaction.

Took a snip from your long impressions but these two points are definitely my biggest dislikes coming from Halo. (3, ODST, and Reach being my most played games last gen)

I wish they had strayed even further from what they had made for Modern Warfare so that 1 v 1 pilot encounters could have some sort of satisfaction and more skill required. Kill times are still a bit too low for me personally.

Any updates on this? I have the same problem and I have no idea what to do. I thought that was happening because I used VPN to play the game before it launches in Europe, but now I'm afraid it's a bigger problem, unrelated to VPN :/

To clarify - I played beta without any issues (well, there was occasional stuttering and those "retrying connection to server" messages, but it rarely kicked me out). My PC: Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHz, 4GB RAM, GTX 560 Ti.

We got it to work by setting everything to low and medium and changing the sound emitter seeings. not sure what the issue was.

def sim

I think suppressor builds are better suited for support roles, particularly in attrition. The damage lost is a significant disadvantage against other pilots, but you can run around and clean up the AI for objective points without calling attention to yourself.

edit: this has been said already

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Honestly, I don't see someone who doesn't enjoy FPS games liking this game.

This was obviously made for FPS gamers and though I would assume it tries to be casual enough to allow non FPS players become accustomed to it, the fact that it has no SP mode makes it feel it was for the many people who are already accustomed and like FPS games. Respawn is obviously targetting a certain audience.If you never liked FPS games, I honestly don't see Titanfall being the game to convince you otherwise. Halo, Bioshock, or Half Life 2 would be more apt at that imo.

I enjoy Halo well enough. Bioshock I never got into, Half Life was OK, but I spent most of my time with Orange Box in Team Fortress 2.

It's the Scale and Mobility of the game that I like about it, and even I could instantly get the appeal of Unreal Tournament 2 the few times I played on PC / DC back in the day, or my never-wanted-to-work-right copy of Tribes on PS2. I had a bit of a love for Halo 1 for a while, and actually really enjoyed ODST, too.

The lack of SP doesn't bother me much, I'm much fine with them saving some SP money to focus of polishing the MP asset quality, though I'm not sure if the polish is up to the level I'd like.

Took a snip from your long impressions but these two points are definitely my biggest dislikes coming from Halo. (3, ODST, and Reach being my most played games last gen)

I wish they had strayed even further from what they had made for Modern Warfare so that 1 v 1 pilot encounters could have some sort of satisfaction and more skill required. Kill times are still a bit too low for me personally.

I can get an appreciation for the "speed" of kills from playing this, PvZGW, an Halo in the past, too. There were times where I hated the regenerating shields in Halo (since it made work on softening a target invalid after running away for a few seconds), but I find myself missing the ability to soak up some, survive and assault, and re-group here.

I'd love an FPS that lets me wound enemies (and the environment!) as a class, but that seems rare and unlikely to happen...

Hasney

Yeah, mech v mech is fun. Pilot v Pilot is kind of lacking. With the parkour element involved, I'd much prefer longer gunfights. It'd be much more fun in my eyes.

I think suppressor builds are better suited for support roles, particularly in attrition. The damage lost is a significant disadvantage against other pilots, but you can run around and clean up the AI for objective points without calling attention to yourself.

edit: this has been said already

Yup. Think a suppressed smart gun works pretty well. Clean up some AI and then try and get a lock on a pilot that runs by.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is there anything like a 'share your origin name to connect to people that aren't very good at PC FPS but enjoy it anyway' thread?

mrklaw here if so :)

Origin is fine.
It's not a cod clone.
The HUD is fine too.

Seriously though, it may have elements similar to cod in places but the comparison is lazy at best. This game has lots of small innovations and ideas that make it differ, and a few large ones, and these things add to more than the sum.

Trust us.

I'd prefer if it was on steam natively just because that's where everything else I have is. All my friends are there and so on. I added it as a non-steam game but it isn't quite the same.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

i swapped to one in hardpoint and went 22-2. of course i also swapped to the radar pulse and defended a hardpoint the whole game while seeing through walls. definitely felt like i was cheating.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People should stop worrying about people who leveled early. It just means they're going to reset and be back to the start and you'll have a bunch of levels.

On top of that you can have an awesome round at any level. My highest scoring level post beta I was 2 at the start of.

lol I had no idea your hacked spectre follows you around everywhere watching your back. From now on I'm going to roll with Icepick perk and hack every spectre I can find, and have my own personal army of bodyguards following behind.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Yeah, mech v mech is fun. Pilot v Pilot is kind of lacking. With the parkour element involved, I'd much prefer longer gunfights. It'd be much more fun in my eyes.

I can agree to that; it feels kind of weird to have this engine that encourages ridiculous cat-and-mouse chaseplay, only to have the general kills feel like dragons pouncing on ants. Makes it feel like the gameplay elements are at war with each other.

Yup. Think a suppressed smart gun works pretty well. Clean up some AI and then try and get a lock on a pilot that runs by.

I haven't tried playing "support" in this way, so maybe I should focus more on this style of play. Maybe that's a reason kills "look" so campy to me; because many players focus more on mopping up AI troops than I do.

lol I had no idea your hacked spectre follows you around everywhere watching your back. From now on I'm going to roll with Icepick perk and hack every spectre I can find, and have my own personal army of bodyguards following behind.

How many hacked spectre can you have behind you at once? I'd assume just one, but it actually goes beyond that?

Played the tutorial and first two missions of IMC campaign. Very quick first impressions.

Game is extremely fast paced and chaotic, being an ex Q3:Arena player I absolutely love this. Parkour is extremely fun, think I spent more time trying to run around walls then actually checking out the Titan. Lost both matches but I don't care, it was still fun even though they were extremely one sided. I now understand all the complains in this department, lack of any kind of balancing is terrible.

I am also getting pretty shitty performance. Dipping from 60-40ish all the time.

i7 4930k
SLI GTX570

Is it possible to switch to militia campaign or do I need to finish IMC first?

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

to each his/her own. i find the titan's, especially in titan v titan combat, extremely dull.

Never had a chance to play the beta. I picked up the game last night and I am really enjoying it. Made it to level 4... but I have a few questions for some of your vets....

1) So I understand that enemies appear on the radar if they are shooting... correct? How does that work for Cloak? Are they completely invisible to me... or only somewhat invisible? The reason I ask is because in a few games last night.. this one guy kept coming out of nowhere to kill me with mele.

2) is there a place where I can see the perk unlocks and level unlocks? I want some of the guns that the other players had last night... so I wonder when I get them. Thanks for any help!!!!!

Reclaimer

Does headshotting a Titan make any difference to your damage output?

Also, what is the rule on getting a Titan kill assist? I feel like I've done almost half the damage on one, spend a ton of time on it, and then not get any assist points when it's killed.

Thanks guys!

Never had a chance to play the beta. I picked up the game last night and I am really enjoying it. Made it to level 4... but I have a few questions for some of your vets....

1) So I understand that enemies appear on the radar if they are shooting... correct? How does that work for Cloak? Are they completely invisible to me... or only somewhat invisible? The reason I ask is because in a few games last night.. this one guy kept coming out of nowhere to kill me with mele. As far as I know, cloak has no effect on whether players appear on the radar. That guy probably didn't shoot, so he didn't show up.

2) is there a place where I can see the perk unlocks and level unlocks? I want some of the guns that the other players had last night... so I wonder when I get them. Thanks for any help!!!!!You'll unlock the pilot customization tab soon which lays everything out and lets you choose your guns, ordnances, etc.

See above.

def sim

They are surprisingly resilient for whatever reason. I had one following me for, what seemed like, an entire match.

Yeah, but like you I'm questioning the point of it. Even when I spy someone firing on the minimap, the verticality of the levels and the speed anyone can move (and kill) at mean it's not exactly slamdunk information. Plus there are instant replays to give your position away, so camping one spot with a silenced weapon is silly. It's probably better to have a deeper clip in a weapon that does more damage.

eh, if someones consistently not using a silencer then I'm going to find them and put them down very quickly--especially with my silenced shotgun class with stim boost, and those deaths really hurt your team by consistently providing titans to the enemy.

There's really never a time that I'm not silenced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom